AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-13, 13:20   Link #2121
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by natsuki hyuga View Post
what happen to a certain deckmate? Did he get delegated to slaved, single oarsman? :'o or did he plan a rebellion under a certain failure that don't want to change her name to lord "***leon"?
HEY!

Stop calling me a failure! *throws pokeball* Come out, Westlo!
Old 2009-06-13, 16:22   Link #2122
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Oh, God... I LOL'ed. What's little Westlo's evolution form?

Old 2009-06-13, 18:29   Link #2123
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Can I just hang out on the boat part-time? I don't want to leave my battered little one-man Nanase dinghy alone for TOO long...
*fires torpedoes at said little dinghy* Let us have a minute of silence for this terrible tragedy, which I have absolutely no part in.

In light of this accident, H.M.S Skull Fairy will graciously compensate for your melonpan losses by offering life-size Nanase Dakimakuras in all shapes and sizes. *fufufufu*

On a bright note, rest assured that you at least have it better than Ship Parrot Natsu, there's another woman who's currently summoning her husband in a pokeball of all things.
Old 2009-06-13, 18:48   Link #2124
Westlo
Lets be reality

/sighing facepalm
Old 2009-06-13, 19:38   Link #2125
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Can I just hang out on the boat part-time? I don't want to leave my battered little one-man Nanase dinghy alone for TOO long...

That said, I'm sure the music is a lot better on the Good Ship Yousei...
You know Gubaba, we'll welcome you to the Ranka Fan Club That is only if you're willing to join us. Remember that Nanase is Ranka fan #1!

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-06-13, 20:22   Link #2126
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
You know Gubaba, we'll welcome you to the Ranka Fan Club That is only if you're willing to join us. Remember that Nanase is Ranka fan #1!
Fan? More like a backup love interest

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-06-13, 20:39   Link #2127
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

So, how's Pikachu doing these days, Westlo?

Old 2009-06-13, 21:40   Link #2128
DeX-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Fan? More like a backup love interest

- Tak
Nice jab there Well to me, she is the main love interest

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-06-13, 22:37   Link #2129
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesie View Post
*fires torpedoes at said little dinghy* Let us have a minute of silence for this terrible tragedy, which I have absolutely no part in.

In light of this accident, H.M.S Skull Fairy will graciously compensate for your melonpan losses by offering life-size Nanase Dakimakuras in all shapes and sizes. *fufufufu*

On a bright note, rest assured that you at least have it better than Ship Parrot Natsu, there's another woman who's currently summoning her husband in a pokeball of all things.
Aw, crap. I liked that dinghy, too.

Oh, well. Let me sing the Nanase chant one last time:
Nanase-san wa kawaii!
Nanase-san wa kirei!
Sekai ichi no bishojo: Nanase-san!

Nanase-san wa yasashii!
Nanase-san wa saikou!
Sexy, lovely, my angel: Nanase-san!

Okay. That's that.

Permission to board, Cap'n.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Hell, yeah! I'll take that, too. As long as I don't get ripped to shreds in the process...
Old 2009-06-13, 23:07   Link #2130
DeX-kun

Quote:
Hell, yeah! I'll take that, too. As long as I don't get ripped to shreds in the process...
That was a very energetic song As for getting ripped to shreds <_< I really don't think you need to worry about that in the Ranka Fan Club (can't say the same about the Sheryl Fan Club though ) since we are as passive as Ranka herself

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
Old 2009-06-13, 23:39   Link #2131
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Hmmm... you do realize that your last statement doesn't sound all that flattering, right?

Old 2009-06-14, 20:09   Link #2132
Aeshma

Does anyone else feel that Sheryl´s link to Mao is unnecessary? Why couldn´t Sheryl be just some random poor child than ran into a mad scientist and a couple of earrings?
Old 2009-06-14, 20:18   Link #2133
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeshma View Post
Does anyone else feel that Sheryl´s link to Mao is unnecessary? Why couldn´t Sheryl be just some random poor child than ran into a mad scientist and a couple of earrings?
More like no-one felt the link was unnecessary, because if that was the case, then there wouldn't be Macross Frontier.

There is a reason why Sheryl's lineage was important, because as the descendant of the Nome bloodline, she came from a clan that possessed the ability to communicate with the Vajra. That is precisely why Grace utilized her as an experiment. Moreover, the earrings were more than just a symbol, they most likely aided the process. If she was just some random poor child, then Grace would have just overlooked her.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2009-06-15, 04:09   Link #2134
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Going through my nostalgia hunt today, one character that greatly reminds me of Sheryl is Jem, my girlhood idol.

Blond/Pink hair, singer, magic earrings, divalicious and fashionable (for the 80s that is) blue-haired love interest.

Sigh...good times.

Last edited by raile; 2009-06-15 at 04:24.
Old 2009-06-15, 04:15   Link #2135
Renaissance Otaku
Shadow Member

Send a message via AIM to Renaissance Otaku Send a message via MSN to Renaissance Otaku Send a message via Yahoo to Renaissance Otaku
I felt it unnecessary myself. Though the recent radio drama does make great strides in explaining why they bothered with it, having to do with Graces relationship with Mao. So it's kind of balanced out. I don't remember her linage having anything to do with the vajra. The Nome's had power, but Sheryl showed nothing until the V-virus better manifested itself. The earrings were fold quartz, and tie into that plot thread. I still greatly dislike adding the earrings to Zero for the BDs. They could have easily made it some new family. It's just seems a throwaway to Zero.
Old 2009-06-15, 04:24   Link #2136
magnuskn

Well, why bother naming Sheryl "Nome" in the first place, if it wasn´t a reference back to Macross Zero? I would have loved for them to expound on it much more in the series itself, but in the greater context of what was happening, it made sense.

Count me on the side who liked the connection between Mao and Sheryl.
Old 2009-06-15, 04:35   Link #2137
Renaissance Otaku
Shadow Member

Send a message via AIM to Renaissance Otaku Send a message via MSN to Renaissance Otaku Send a message via Yahoo to Renaissance Otaku
I like the connection a lot more now given the Grace angle. Though I wouldn't have minded it simply being a red herring. Sort of like Edgar La Salle. In fiction, it's pretty much a certainty, but still, who's to say.
Old 2009-06-15, 07:23   Link #2138
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaissance Otaku View Post
I don't remember her linage having anything to do with the vajra.
In Macross Zero it was shown that the Nome family had the ability to communicate with the Vajra in some form.

Quote:
The Nome's had power, but Sheryl showed nothing until the V-virus better manifested itself.
Therefore, it was not surprising for Grace to pick up Sheryl, a specific individual with a specific power. Again, had Sheryl been random kid #A, then Grace probably wouldn't bother. Moreover, Grace obviously did not know Sheryl had not the power her ancestors had. What she knew for sure was that Sheryl was a Nome, and Nomes without an exception all had some sort of communication capability with the Vajra.

Quote:
The earrings were fold quartz, and tie into that plot thread. I still greatly dislike adding the earrings to Zero for the BDs. They could have easily made it some new family. It's just seems a throwaway to Zero.
It was meant to be a throwaway to Zero. Episode 10 of Frontier was not random.

- Tak

Old 2009-06-15, 07:48   Link #2139
Renaissance Otaku
Shadow Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
In Macross Zero it was shown that the Nome family had the ability to communicate with the Vajra in some form.
Okay, it's been awhile since I've seen Zero, but there's no Vajra in it last I checked. They weren't even encountered until Frontier. There's the bird human, but that's still not fully explained. Plus, if the Nome's could communicate on a level with the vajra, why couldn't Sheryl until the v virus took hold?

Quote:

Therefore, it was not surprising for Grace to pick up Sheryl, a specific individual with a specific power. Again, had Sheryl been random kid #A, then Grace probably wouldn't bother. Moreover, Grace obviously did not know Sheryl had not the power her ancestors had. What she knew for sure was that Sheryl was a Nome, and Nomes without an exception all had some sort of communication capability with the Vajra.
According to the spoilers above, the sole reason Grace picked Sheryl was a
Spoiler for Drama CD:

Quote:
It was meant to be a throwaway to Zero. Episode 10 of Frontier was not random.

- Tak
I'm not sure where you're getting at there. I never commented on the episode. Though that one had some odd moments.
Old 2009-06-15, 17:06   Link #2140
Tak

Quote:
Okay, it's been awhile since I've seen Zero, but there's no Vajra in it last I checked. They weren't even encountered until Frontier. There's the bird human, but that's still not fully explained. Plus, if the Nome's could communicate on a level with the vajra, why couldn't Sheryl until the v virus took hold?
The bird human is a Vajra. If you check the details, the bird human shares the same... for the lack of a better description, birthmark as the rest of the Vajra race.

Obviously because Grace assumed that by being one of the Nome alone would allow Sheryl to communicate with the Vajra. However, Grace sought to amplify that ability, and her ambition was to control the Vajra not just to communicate with them. Unfortunately for Grace, she was mistaken on many levels.

- Tak

Closed Thread

Tags
characters