AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-01, 14:15   Link #7581
killer3000ad

£9.7million Lotto winner goes back to being a bin man after squandering all of it in 8 years
Old 2010-06-01, 14:54   Link #7582
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

4 words:

Biggest fool on Earth. D:
Old 2010-06-01, 14:54   Link #7583
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
It seems hard to believe that BP may not actually cut off the leak until August...but after a month of already failed strategies, two more months doesn't seem all that implausible.
Old 2010-06-01, 14:57   Link #7584
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Rick View Post
4 words:

There's been several studies that document that "squandering it all" happens quite frequently. Lotto winnings SHOULD come with an assigned financial planner/manager to help these people.
Old 2010-06-01, 14:58   Link #7585
Nosauz

Quote:
4 words:

This isn't uncommon for lotto winners or even sports stars. The curse of new money. This really happens to a good portion of people who "luck" into money, similarly movie stars, and entertainment people tend to have these problems with money management
Old 2010-06-01, 16:09   Link #7586
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Well, if I ever become to "win" that money, I would get a house to have a place to stay the rest of my life, ensure my sons education (If I had), Pay debts (if I had) and save money for any type of mediacl or accidental emergency, but at the link says that this guys wasted all the money on drugs, gambling and prostitutes... I'm just speakless.
Old 2010-06-01, 16:19   Link #7587
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Well, if I ever become to "win" that money, I would get a house to have a place to stay the rest of my life, ensure my sons education (If I had), Pay debts (if I had) and save money for any type of mediacl or accidental emergency, but at the link says that this guys wasted all the money on drugs, gambling and prostitutes... I'm just speakless.
Your daughers, OTOH, are on their own.

And yeah. I don't have expensives tastes either, so I don't think I would squander it all. Then again, maybe most winners thought that, too.
Old 2010-06-01, 16:20   Link #7588
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

I think the problem is that most people don't have a good grasp for how much gigantic sums of money really are. Thus when they find themselves with one they're mentally working off the assumption that it's an infinite supply. Thus they spend without any regard.
Old 2010-06-01, 17:15   Link #7589
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There's been several studies that document that "squandering it all" happens quite frequently. Lotto winnings SHOULD come with an assigned financial planner/manager to help these people.
Actually this needs to be done with sports stars and entertainers too. Just look at scotty pippen, dude won 6 rings amassed 126million while playing for the bulls and squandered it all, had to come out of retirement to play basketball in the euro league. I mean I understand the need to take care of the people who helped you get there, but these leagues and agencies really need to look out for their talents and help them manager their finances in a reasonable way.
Old 2010-06-01, 19:04   Link #7590
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
BP lost all credibility since their efforts have failed before. The EPA also wants BP to lower/stop the use of dispersants because a concern that it will pick up in the clouds and cause acid rain... and that is nasty.

The government is already launching a criminal investigation on BP... I wonder what else they will do. However, Big Oil really needs more regulation so something like this wouldn't happen again... Maybe this is over, maybe the drill baby drill camp would reconsider and push for greener energy? Probably not because Palin still chanting Drill Baby Drill, more like Spill Baby Spill...
Old 2010-06-01, 19:31   Link #7591
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
BP lost all credibility since their efforts have failed before. The EPA also wants BP to lower/stop the use of dispersants because a concern that it will pick up in the clouds and cause acid rain... and that is nasty.

The government is already launching a criminal investigation on BP... I wonder what else they will do. However, Big Oil really needs more regulation so something like this wouldn't happen again... Maybe this is over, maybe the drill baby drill camp would reconsider and push for greener energy? Probably not because Palin still chanting Drill Baby Drill, more like Spill Baby Spill...
Funny that you even bothered about that woman. She should just stick to the kitchen sink.

Anyway, this isn't an easy mess to clean up after the whole thing blew. It is like having an Exxon Valdez at the Mexico everyday. What I recommend for all oil rigs to do is to frequently conduct maintenance on their emergency valves....a couple of million per month for the safety measures can save alot in the long run.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-06-01, 19:46   Link #7592
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Funny that you even bothered about that woman. She should just stick to the kitchen sink.

Anyway, this isn't an easy mess to clean up after the whole thing blew. It is like having an Exxon Valdez at the Mexico everyday. What I recommend for all oil rigs to do is to frequently conduct maintenance on their emergency valves....a couple of million per month for the safety measures can save alot in the long run.
From what I heard, BP knew that the Deepwater Oil rig was in trouble months before the rig blew up, but they didn't bother inspecting the blowout valve. If the rig was in trouble, BP should of shut all operations down and fix the rig before turning it back on. Also, I heard somewhere that MMS (Mineral Management Service), who is suppose to inspect these rigs are getting kickbacks and drug deals. In this case, they wrote the inspection report in pencil and when they got there, they traced over it in pen and had lunch there. The whole thing is pretty messed up...

Not only that, what is with the coal mine disasters... They have to link to this oil spill we are having now. I think the only solution is more regulation, push for greener energy and crack down on kickbacks and lobbyists who push for deregulation.
Old 2010-06-01, 20:15   Link #7593
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

The issue isn't that we have drilling. The problem is that we have a regulatory system that was unwilling to make sure things were run safely. Ayn Ryandian lunatics who pushed that system because somehow they thought that would improve the situation. And an oil industry that was to short sighted to realize that there is a level of safety standards that it SHOULD be keeping to.
Old 2010-06-01, 20:17   Link #7594
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Back to the gaza topic.

It angers me greatly that there can be any defense for this unprovoked and hostile attack of Israel against ships trying to deliver aid to a country they have been ruining for years.

Saying that the people on the boat were responsible is downright insulting to all humanitarians across the globe.

And just wow at some of you calling The free gaza movement as propaganda. You wanna know what's propaganda? Israel releasing 'selective' videos of the incident while not releasing the ones which showed them killing innocent civilians. C'mon then what's the excuse for that? What have they got to hide if they used live ammunition out of 'self defence'

And just look at the reactions from the US government. When North Korea sank South korean submarines the reaction was open and grave condemnation. But when it comes to this matter the US hasn't even condemned their actions and is now actively advocating for Israel to be the one to conduct the inquiry. What hypocrisy!

If this happened with any other country of the world there would be hell to pay. But Israel gets a free pass because anyone who dares to criticize them is instantly labeled as an anti-Semite or a Jew hater.

Last edited by Poetic Justice; 2010-06-01 at 22:39.
Old 2010-06-01, 20:20   Link #7595
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Not only that, what is with the coal mine disasters... They have to link to this oil spill we are having now. I think the only solution is more regulation, push for greener energy and crack down on kickbacks and lobbyists who push for deregulation.
It's a result of increased competition, lack of feelings of responsibility, and focus on the short term. This is something that seems to be affecting nearly all industries. People become more willing to take shortcuts and downplay risks if it means less effort and less expenditures.

I even see it in research. Most experiments that I run (and I can do one to two daily) probably cost between $500-1000 if you add everything up. The money largely comes from taxes, and I - being new and probably naive - feel a great sense of responsibility to make sure that I do everything right the first time and don't screw up. It horrifies me to see how people cut corners with their experiments to save on time, effort, and reagents (which is great in the short run, but if you have to repeat an experiment even once then you wasted a ton more than you saved in all areas). But research is competitive, and doing everything 100% right is expensive, slow, and doesn't earn you any credit. You can cut some corners and people won't question it, and hence corners are cut.

I'm not surprised to see these types of things happening elsewhere. The question is, when will things start degrading to the point that people have a change of values and start thinking differently?
Old 2010-06-01, 20:48   Link #7596
yoropa
Director

Unrelated to the big stories of Gaza and the Gulf crisis:

Japanese PM Yukio Hatoyama is stepping down, after 8 months in office, citing his failure in removing Americans from Okinawa. He was the first of the opposition party to win majority in the Diet in about 50 years (with one exception I believe), and well my prediction for the next election is that things are going back to the way they were, with the old party reclaiming the seats and probably staying in power for a lot longer.
Old 2010-06-01, 20:53   Link #7597
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
Back to the gaza topic.

It angers me greatly that there can be any defense for this unprovoked and hostile attack of Israel against ships trying to deliver aid to a country they have been ruining for years.

Saying that the people on the boat were responsible is downright insulting to all humanitarians across the globe.

And just wow at some of you calling The free gaza movement as propaganda. You wanna know what's propaganda? Israel releasing 'selective' videos of the incident while not releasing the ones which showed them killing innocent civilians. C'mon then what's the excuse for that? What have they got to hide if they used live ammunition out of 'self defence'

And just look at the reactions from the US government. When North Korea sank South korean submarines the reaction was open and grave condemnation. But when it comes to this matter the US hasn't even condemned their actions and is now actively advocating for Israel to be the one to conduct the inquiry. What hypocrisy!

If this happened with any other country of the world there would be hell to pay. But Israel gets a free pass because anyone who criticizes them is instantly labeled as an anti-semite or a jew hater.
Link to where people who criticize Israel are considered anti-semite or jew haters? I keep hearing this, but I don't see the evidence of it happening by any major organization/political party/country. So until you can show me proof, I have to call bullshit on this.

And why was it, that Israeli forces had no problems with 5 ships from earlier boardings, but this one they did? And why did they bring paintball guns if they were planning on killing 'innocent' civilians? Your post is full of holes and is hard to take seriously.
Old 2010-06-01, 21:05   Link #7598
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Prime Minister of Japan Tells Nation He Plans to Quit

This happened quickly. He loses on the base issue and falls on his sword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Times
[Hatoyama's] announcement came after his approval ratings dipped in recent weeks. He recently reneged on a prominent campaign promise by announcing that an American air base would be moved only to the north side of Okinawa rather than off the island. But in announcing his intention to leave, he blamed a failure to remove the influence of money from politics.

“The relationship with politics and money was what I wanted to say farewell to in Democratic Party politics,” Mr. Hatoyama said, according to a live translation of his address by Japan’s NHK television. “Because of this I myself will have to resign the post as prime minister.”
Are there any recent scandals about money in politics, and about the Democratic Party and money in particular? I notice the Times article doesn't refer to any.
Old 2010-06-01, 22:08   Link #7599
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
Link to where people who criticize Israel are considered anti-semite or jew haters? I keep hearing this, but I don't see the evidence of it happening by any major organization/political party/country. So until you can show me proof, I have to call bullshit on this.
Have you ever even listened to any israeli government statements?

Here's one recent example. Just one of the countless attempts to curb any criticism as anti Semitic.

http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/de...ay&link=199722

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
And why was it, that Israeli forces had no problems with 5 ships from earlier boardings, but this one they did? And why did they bring paintball guns if they were planning on killing 'innocent' civilians? Your post is full of holes and is hard to take seriously.
They wanted to send a message to anyone who dared to send aid 'directly' to gaza. As is commonly known Israel treats the residents of Gaza like cattle and denies them basic food aid. Usually only allowing 1/3rd of what is required of aid supplies to gaza.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international