AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-10-08, 05:32   Link #41
Esebian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Anime is usually fine to be judged by the cover alone. The key visual is usually enough to know whether the show will pique your interest or not. Life's too short and there's enough of this shit to go around. You think some of us care that some guy is trying to prevent us from judging a series? With the anime watching experience some of us have under our belts, 10 minutes of the first episode was enough to know this won't interest us. This was the only show I dropped midway this season. It was so terrible. The lack of ambition showed in even the beginning stages of the work was quite underwhelming. From the animation to character designs to story composition. Terrible in every aspect.

One thing with Madoka was that it oozed with ambition from the very first scene. It was enough of an attention grab that it didn't matter who wrote it. There was enough cool factor to last you to the third episode. Please don't make this about star power alone, the show is much better than that, even though it has its problems.

The whatever-episode rules are all arbitrary. Never subscribed to them, but I'm still here, still watching anime after all this time. The countless suckers that put themselves through those torturous ceremonies ... I wonder where they are now?

Sure, I won't have the right to barge in again at a later time and tell you guys how bad this show is (this is forbidden by forum rules anyway), but for this episode I can. Enjoy this trash to your full content!
I'm not sure where exactly the problem is - I didn't mention you, did I?

What you wrote the first time was perfectly fine.

My problem is not if sb decides after the first episode that it is not an anime for him/her but if they bash the show/the people watching it.

If you say that it's a harem/ecchi, so it's not your cup of tea, that's fine.

If you say that it is generic and drop it, that is fine as well.

Just don't go and trash-talk it because of your so-called experience after just the first episode.
Esebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 05:49   Link #42
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeMancer View Post
To be honest, they're missing out. I'm sure they'll come back once they hear better reviews about this work that's not on MAL
I read novel and I will keep watching anime at least for time being, but honestly it's not really that good. There is few good moments and action is well written, but who drop it, doesn't miss out.
Old 2015-10-08, 05:53   Link #43
RDNexus

Well, given that it's another one in a few dozens of them, it's not surprising.
Still, it's saddening that the Anime Industry has fallen to this level only to please certain demographics.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 05:57   Link #44
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esebian View Post
I'm not sure where exactly the problem is - I didn't mention you, did I?
I replied because you put forth some pretty sketchy reasoning ...
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 11:30   Link #45
larethian

The pace feels a bit fast; the setting does not seem very clear to me and hardly fleshed, relatively speaking, when compared to other pilot episodes. But I think they make the right decision in the right direction. At least they drop enough hooks to keep me interested.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 11:54   Link #46
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
One thing with Madoka was that it oozed with ambition from the very first scene. It was enough of an attention grab that it didn't matter who wrote it. There was enough cool factor to last you to the third episode. Please don't make this about star power alone, the show is much better than that, even though it has its problems.
So your decision on whether or not Madoka interested you wasn't influenced at all by the hype beforehand? You didn't give it chances you might not have given to another less hyped show?

Quote:
The whatever-episode rules are all arbitrary. Never subscribed to them, but I'm still here, still watching anime after all this time. The countless suckers that put themselves through those torturous ceremonies ... I wonder where they are now?
Totally agree. I've never liked the whole the episode rule thing. Seems so limiting.

Unless I'm seriously interested beforehand, I usually watch stuff on a whim. I've watched one episode of something, let it alone for weeks or months, and then finished it up later because I felt like it, and quite enjoyed it too.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 12:03   Link #47
RDNexus

The problem here was not exactly about that rule or whatever but about the fact he literally spitted on the series after watching not even a whole first episode.
That must be the apex of arrogance, don't you think? He could state he didn't like this or that but in a way that didn't seem like he wants to flame up the place.

And, of course, people are free to check on a series in whatever way they may want, as long as there's a way to do so, whatever way it may be
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 12:19   Link #48
KnightShade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
So your decision on whether or not Madoka interested you wasn't influenced at all by the hype beforehand? You didn't give it chances you might not have given to another less hyped show?

Totally agree. I've never liked the whole the episode rule thing. Seems so limiting.

Unless I'm seriously interested beforehand, I usually watch stuff on a whim. I've watched one episode of something, let it alone for weeks or months, and then finished it up later because I felt like it, and quite enjoyed it too.
in a way i agree with this as well. literally most of the shows i watched were due to either recomendations from friends, internet hype or because i read the LN's. if it was a series i never heard about, like heavy object, if it didn't stick with me from episode 1 i wouldn't feel compelled to sit through more episodes.

the thing is 35th platoon is a different story. the first episode in spite of the boob grab, fast pacing and cliches managed to grab me simply because the premise is different in that it's a military school with guns and has surprising amounts of gore and dark tones present in the first episode. it's not completely original but compared to the rest it's different from the popular trends with these types of LN adaptations. when i asked about this series prior, some passed it off as your typical LN fare but having read a lot of battle harem LN's, the resemblance is vague at best.(just comparing LN covers alone should make this obvious ) the only other series that's in the same ballpark is gakusen and even then they're two different stories.
KnightShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 13:06   Link #49
Esclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post

I watched Madoka ep 1 blind (other than knowing it was SHAFT) and I could tell it was going to be great from ep 1. Even in a vacuum it's probably one of the strongest episode 1's 've seen. Things like animation style, directing style, dialogue, pacing, music play a lot into what you think the directors are trying to do and what they're trying to tell. It's pretty easy to distinguish something that's ambitious and well executed (even if it doesn't pan out) vs something that feels like its just made to fill a time slot and pay the bills.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 13:23   Link #50
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Oh, this guy has an imouto, oh I am on this show!

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 13:55   Link #51
Yamada II

Episode 1
This was an okay start. A bunch of failures got a new member who doesn't want to trust anyone. They could have done well without Kusanagi falling on Ohtori and groping her. That was a totally unnecessary thing. As was the first scene where the oppai loli is dressed as a bunny girl.

Kusanagi started to turn full badass with the sword when those guys pissed him off. But he was stopped. Disappointment. I would have liked to see him go wild. Ohtori has some skills and is better than the other losers there.

I don't really want to continue any further, but since many are saying that this will get much better, I'll give it, maybe a couple more episodes. If it fails to impress me then, it's a drop.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 14:25   Link #52
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well at least it has more variation than the other two magical high school light novel anime airing this season, though once again we're treated to a protagonist with a supposedly disadvantaged/impractical main weapon and a rough-around-the-edges female deuteragonist. Well at least I didn't get a massive exposition dump right at the beginning like I thought I was going to. Actually, they didn't really explain much about the setting really so it was a little difficult to feel involved, though I did get the general gist of what was going on. There were some odd scene transitions which betray a rushed adaptation and I rolled my eyes at the fanservice and the boob grab but otherwise it was an okayish premiere. I guess if the best thing you can say about a show is that it isn't as bad as others then that's kinda damning with faint praise...

...but hey I'm only in it for one thing so what the hell do I care anyway?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 14:54   Link #53
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

This could have easily been 2 episodes though, no reason for it to go this fast, and the concept is good too, if they stick to Normal vs Magic.

Catchy ED.

EDIT: I thought Inquisitors were all about killing first before asking questions, and then killing as an answer to the questions
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 15:05   Link #54
Galaxian

Just from watching the first episode blind, it feels like another "Hero with unconventional power + Prodigy tsun-girl" set up and I feel I would be a bit more welcoming to it had I watched it before the conjoined twin that are Rakudai and Asterisk. However, this does get some points for having the main guy confront the tsun girl right away and showing a spine. Just like for the other two anime, I willing to give this one an episode or two more.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 15:11   Link #55
Iron Maw
Banned

ep 1

Yeah, comparatively speaking this was least generic first episode of the three action orientated school themed LN adaptations airing this season. So it at least has that as Haak said and stronger promise of going somewhere with it's plot. If you are watching the other two (Asterick and Rakudai) you might as well give this chance too since isn't any worse than them.

So for what is going to be a 9 volumed adaptation (in a split cour) the pacing of the premier was surprising not too shabby. Most of the exposition and some other miscellaneous details/scenes were trimmed down, but left enough a decent idea of what is going on. Pretty efficient. Most the characteristics and quirks of this ragtag group of misfits transitioned in the short time. Looking forward to how they handle the next episode.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2015-10-08 at 16:01.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 15:19   Link #56
KnightShade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Yeah, comparatively speaking this was least generic first episode of the three action orientated school themed LN adaptations airing this season. So it at least has that as Haak said and stronger promise of going somewhere with it's plot. If you are watching the other two (Asterick and Rakudai) you might as well give this chance too since isn't any worse than them.

So for what is going to be a 9 vol adaptation (in a split cour) the pacing of the premier was surprising not too shabby. Most of the exposition and some other miscellaneous details/scenes were trimmed down, but left enough a decent idea what is going on. Pretty efficient. Most the characteristics and quirks of this ragtag group of misfits transitioned in the short time. Looking forward to how they handle the next episode.
agreed!

i'm calling it right now, sleeper hit of the season. i'm glad this doesn't air on saturday so that when it kicks up, it'll stand on it's own merits.
KnightShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 15:20   Link #57
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I think it would be a new fun meta to watch all three of them back to back, though I think in concept 35th is different enough from the other two.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-08, 15:42   Link #58
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 01

I read some of the manga a while ago, and this did remind me of it some, but for whatever reason this premier ep did not do much for me, alas.

Well, will give the next ep a try, I guess?
Old 2015-10-08, 15:55   Link #59
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Seems like there's quite a few of these this season. MC who appears weak but has some hidden power to compensate.

Though starting the series off with your main character bleeding to death is definitely a good way to keep people intrigued. I just hope we don't have to wait the entire 2 cour to get to that part.
Old 2015-10-08, 15:59   Link #60
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
Just from watching the first episode blind, it feels like another "Hero with unconventional power + Prodigy tsun-girl" set up and I feel I would be a bit more welcoming to it had I watched it before the conjoined twin that are Rakudai and Asterisk. However, this does get some points for having the main guy confront the tsun girl right away and showing a spine. Just like for the other two anime, I willing to give this one an episode or two more.
Ouka doesn't comes across as a tsundere to me, she seems to mean pretty much everything she says as of this moment. Moreover her standoffish behavior is mostly because she not interested much in anything other than her revenge and less because she doesn't know how to talk to people. To her credit she did sort of try to work with group together in the beginning, at least before the catastrophe happened midway through the first mission.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2015-10-08 at 16:27.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem, supernatural