AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Amagami SS

Notices

Old 2010-07-26, 16:23   Link #1161
Itlandm
Porcupine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ueXia View Post
You mean .. as draggy as Kimi no Todoke?
24 episodes of pure "ohmaiGAH confess already!!!"
I did not mind the dragging on because I enjoyed the heavenly beauty of the purepure love! Kimi ni Todoke teaches young people that you have to make yourself worthy, and love will find you. Or you could say, the perfect Significant Other is not someone you find, it is someone you become. Through improving yourself, you make your own "fortune of love".

A dating sim can also convey this message. In fact, I think this is a recurring message in high-quality Japanese entertainment, and rightly so. Boys who are simply perverted (typically the sidekick of the story) never get what they desire. Those who have talent and show consideration for others, are the ones who succeed.

I don't have a problem with Amagami in principle, it is a decent and high quality product. But I naturally take exception to the idea that the path to love is falling under the influence of a dog spirit and emulating a puppy. There is bound to be routes in which the main character shows some more self improvement, please...
Itlandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 16:36   Link #1162
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Shizu-sama taking a well-deserved break after her amazing performance

Spoiler:
What a great shot of Shizuchan enjoying one of my favorite beers.
Old 2010-07-26, 18:05   Link #1163
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Finish Haruka's arc and it was decent, nothing extraordinary. The only problems I see is that the male lead is rather decisive and indecisive. If his girl wanted him to peek, he should have done it, end of story...

Also, Haruka's middle name is abnormal... never heard anyone have their middle name as "Lovely" before...

Arc Rating: 7.8/10, C+
Old 2010-07-26, 18:22   Link #1164
wingman32x

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Finish Haruka's arc and it was decent, nothing extraordinary. The only problems I see is that the male lead is rather decisive and indecisive. If his girl wanted him to peek, he should have done it, end of story...

Also, Haruka's middle name is abnormal... never heard anyone have their middle name as "Lovely" before...

Arc Rating: 7.8/10, C+
Lol, I know. That's a pretty weird middle name. I mean most of the time middle names are named after grandparents, great grandparents, etc. But lovely. It seems pretty random to me.

I agree with your arc score, too, although I rounded mine up to 8, so B- for me.
wingman32x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-26, 21:37   Link #1165
aldw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman32x View Post
LOL, that's true. Any fantasy with Nanasaki and Karou in it is a good one in my books.

Anyway, his complaints have to do with the entire idea of dating sims. They're supposed to let you live your fantasy. They're supposed to be nonrealistic because these games are designed to be seperate from reality. A large majority of dating sims are like this, so it's natural for their respective anime adaptations to emulate the game. If they do so, it's a successful adaptation. Amagami does this from what I hear. His complaints are general in nature and aimed at the entire genre, not just Amagami. TBH he shouldn't have even started it if he knew it was a dating sim adaptation.
Suzumura55 just hasn't seen real-life situations with real people doing such things, but from experience the real-life situations are much crazier.
aldw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 00:24   Link #1166
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldw View Post
Suzumura55 just hasn't seen real-life situations with real people doing such things, but from experience the real-life situations are much crazier.
Thats what I take from the rants... basically no experience with real life (much less the crud that passes for most of prime time television).

Ah well..... the first arc was not absolutely compelling (it didn't have me rocking the chair for the next episode) but it wasn't utterly serious about itself or banal either. So in terms of adaptations, I thought it was passable. When I compare it to something like Lamune (also a one route romance presentation that I like) - I think I like the 4-5 episode idea as it keeps the writing tighter.
We'll see how the next arc goes... I'm interested in seeing how they portray the "choice points" that lead down different realities.
Old 2010-07-27, 00:53   Link #1167
kujoe
from head to heel

Well... getting back to the discussion on this anime...

I think it's interesting that there's somewhat of a reversal in Haruka. Haruka was once the recipient of many confessions from different people, and she grew tired of them. Some of those weren't meaningful, others probably were but she was not sure, nor was she ready to get into a relationship. Who knows... but in the end, she learned how to refuse their advances and continued to remain friendly with others.

In the hotel, she wanted to hear Junichi confess and reaffirm his feelings. She grew anxious, worried and insecure of the fact that he hasn't. And everything else from this point, we already know.

Looking at it from this perspective, I can see how Haruka's little bouts of jealousy towards other girls that Junichi may possibly be ogling, and her irritation towards the compatibility results play into all of this.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 03:29   Link #1168
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
The only problems I see is that the male lead is rather decisive and indecisive. If his girl wanted him to peek, he should have done it, end of story...
If you're told not to peek by a girl, then you're going to do just that. It's not Jun's fault that he didn't work out what she really wanted him to do.
Old 2010-07-27, 03:30   Link #1169
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzumura55 View Post
So this show gives them a fantasy to slip into. At the end of the day though it will leave you empty. The girls aren’t real. People don’t have relationships like this and this show will leave you wishing, hoping, and trying to live like this.
If I tried to live out my fantasies, I'd either have gotten dumped a long time back or learned that my girlfriend is one heck of a lot naughtier than I give her credit for.

Because let's face it: Amagami only crosses a few lines. Contrast my brain.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar
When in doubt, a snazzy slightly-too-fast story is preferable to a snailpace-with-developments-like-molasses one. So yea, 5 eps might be the perfect length, but we have 6 heroines after all. Also, who knows if other arcs have a bit less of ground to cover... so we'll have to wait and see.
Mmmm... seeing as Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu is one of my top five favourite animes and that the second half of that show progresses at absolutely breakneck speed with a ton of cut material, I tend to agree that too fast is better than too slow. However, I also find that romantic conclusions just feel more satisfying to me when there's a journey to get there, and with this show I end up feeling that "journey" is too short.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.

Last edited by 0utf0xZer0; 2010-07-27 at 03:46.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 03:46   Link #1170
coolasj19
TSG : Gaming For A Cause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
If you're told not to peek by a girl, then you're going to do just that. It's not Jun's fault that he didn't work out what she really wanted him to do.
Its also not his fault that she said " No peeking ". Seriously, what do you expect? Also, Shiroth. Were the Kaoru arc preview clips just from the first episode?
coolasj19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 03:50   Link #1171
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasj19 View Post
Were the Kaoru arc preview clips just from the first episode?
Yeah that preview was just for the fifth episode.
Old 2010-07-27, 04:07   Link #1172
coolasj19
TSG : Gaming For A Cause

Quote:
Yeah that preview was just for the fifth episode.
*Starts F5'ing Fansubber page like crazy"
coolasj19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 05:52   Link #1173
vaden
0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Episode 5 doesn't even air until Friday morning JST, so you can take a break and give your finger a rest.
vaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 06:15   Link #1174
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Bookmark this page - http://www.mahou.org/Showtime/

Its a handy tool to check the air date and time for anime in every season, also it lets you know the estimation time left before the next airing.

2 days 5 hours 10 mins left before next airing.
margafred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 09:33   Link #1175
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

DAMN it i just saw this anime and im hook!!!

is it realy from a love sim game??
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 10:35   Link #1176
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomo12 View Post
DAMN it i just saw this anime and im hook!!!

is it realy from a love sim game??
Um,... yeah. Like many other "choose the girl" anime, it is. The challenge is actually that so many of anime series are from date-sims, viewers mislead themselves sometimes when the occasional series involving several young ladies *isn't* adapted from one.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-07-27 at 11:57.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 11:11   Link #1177
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I've been wanting to post that for a while. Now's as good a time as any, I guess.

Spoiler for Amagami of the dead:
Old 2010-07-27, 12:04   Link #1178
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
It really was a tough call though. He could either be invited in or denied entry indefinitely, after physical retribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Um,... yeah. Like many other "choose the girl" anime, it is. The challenge is actually that so many of anime series are from date-sims, viewers mislead themselves sometimes when the occasional series involving several young ladies *isn't* adapted from one.
Is this a dating sim or a visual novel? I heard people saying it was a VN.
Old 2010-07-27, 12:23   Link #1179
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasj19 View Post
Its also not his fault that she said " No peeking ". Seriously, what do you expect?
You know, this is actually something that's bugged me in anime... do bathroom doors in Japan not have locks? It seems like whenever a girl wants to join a guy in a bath, or a guy wants to peek in an anime, they never have to deal with locks. I'm pretty sure I could figure out how unlock both of the bathrooms in my house from the outside with just a minute's work and the right tools, but it's not like I could just barge in.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-27, 12:57   Link #1180
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
You know, this is actually something that's bugged me in anime... do bathroom doors in Japan not have locks? It seems like whenever a girl wants to join a guy in a bath, or a guy wants to peek in an anime, they never have to deal with locks. I'm pretty sure I could figure out how unlock both of the bathrooms in my house from the outside with just a minute's work and the right tools, but it's not like I could just barge in.
Japan is definitely different when it comes to locks. But even if they have locks on the door, some trope will enable someone to enter. There's got to be some name for the trope.

Tags
romance, seinen, shounen