AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-03-26, 18:29   Link #1
Kaijin
かいじん

Amatsuki (あまつき)

I didn't see this thread, so I'll take the opportunity to start one.

Spoiler for Anime Promo Image:

Amatsuki is a new Spring anime, starting April 4th 2008 on KBS Kyoto;this anime is based on the unlicensed manga by TAKAYAMA, Shinobu, serialized in Comic Zero-Sum.

You can see the newly released preview here: http://amatsuki.com/web/tv.html

Official Site: http://amatsuki.com/web/index.html

Spoiler for Manga Covers:

Manga Summary: History isn't Tokidoki's strong subject. He's even forced to do make-up work at a high-tech history museum to bring up his failing grades. After losing an eye to a virtual reality monster in an Edo-period simulation, he finds himself unable to leave the game. Could it be real?

Animated by: Studio DEEN

Directed by: FURUHASHI, Kazuhiro (Real Drive; Samurai X OVAs; Hunter x Hunter...)

Short Cast list:
Kon Shinonome by YUSA, Koji
Kuchiha by PAKU, Romi
Tokidoki Rikugō by FUKUYAMA, Jun

You can check ANN for more cast and crew info

Last edited by Kaijin; 2008-03-26 at 21:31.
Kaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 19:25   Link #2
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Cast is great. The trailer was pretty good as well. The backgrounds are really nice the music is great too. I like the art from Studio Deen, but I wish that it was more like the manga. Another 1 of the spring anime I'm going to follow.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-26, 20:09   Link #3
Iron Maw
Banned

The trailer was good, especially the music. Odd that they didn't show Kon since he's one of the three major Characters in the manga.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2008-03-26 at 20:23.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 06:46   Link #4
ochibi77

He was shown in the trailer (but in it he's blonde thought XD)

Can't wait to see this series ^^
ochibi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 06:50   Link #5
Jujulapetoch
Teddybear

A ! I was waiting for this anime, hope it'll be great !
Jujulapetoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 07:33   Link #6
andromeda0201

I'm going for this because of Paku Romi voicing the tough swords lady, plus they do not seem to restrict the bloody scenes too.
Maybe this series will be a surprise, but we will see
andromeda0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 10:34   Link #7
iwubanime
FMP wubber

Hmm, I've had my eye on this. Liked the promo vid. Although I'm not a big fan of the blood, but that's just me.

I'm guessing not, but I gotta ask, is there any love-interests in this series?
iwubanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-27, 12:17   Link #8
Westlo
Lets be reality

Jun Fukuyama and Paku Romi as the leads... guess I'm sold!
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-28, 15:05   Link #9
Katapan
俺様祭り

Ah, finally a thread. Thanks for opening it!

I must say the trailer has surprised me, in a good way. I somewhat expected the series to receive the same treatment as Hatenkou Yuugi (pretty manga, visually disappointing adaptation) - replacing the series in the same timeslot, I thought it'd get the same sponsors (since Bus Gamer has the same ones too), which would make sense anyway as one of them was Ichijinsha (the publisher of Comic-Zero Sum in which are published Hatenkou Yuugi and Amatsuki).
Yet the budget seems totally different. And satisfying animation usually does not go well with the name of Studio DEEN It was nowhere near mindblowing, but it did have interesting elements that seem to imply the action scenes won't be made of stills only, what the people at DEEN seem to love so much...

I was really afraid to see another failure, especially since the direction is working on Real Drive at the same time and I thought RD might have been more 'important' than this - but the trailer has relieved some of my worries. Of course it may just be the best-looking stuff...
Old 2008-03-28, 17:45   Link #10
Westlo
Lets be reality

Yeah I watched the trailer about 30 minutes after last posting in this thread. Seems like this is "the" Deen title of the season since it looks a lot better than Vampire Knight. Jun Fukuyama seems to be making it a habit in voicing characters who have had something done to one eye and Paku Romi seems to be voicing another bad ass female swordsman, awesome.
Old 2008-03-28, 18:08   Link #11
Ama no Kagaseo
Your local dark deity.

Send a message via MSN to Ama no Kagaseo Send a message via Yahoo to Ama no Kagaseo
I'm actually reasonably surprised with this show. When I first glanced over this thread I was under the impression it was going to be fairly crappy, but now I'm not so sure. Hum.
Ama no Kagaseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-28, 18:19   Link #12
Westlo
Lets be reality

Yeah I have to admit I wasn't expecting much but the trailer surprised me, it can of course still turn out to be crap but with zero hype for it atm it has a good chance of being one of the sleeper hits of the season. i like the song used in the trailer, I'm hoping that's the intro.
Old 2008-03-28, 21:16   Link #13
Xanithor

Wow, I've been reading the manga for this, and didn't notice that they're making an anime. The plot is pretty interesting (IMO) with the main character's eye. Though, I felt like an idiot once when I read it. At first, I thought Kuchiha was a man, been seeing too many bishounen I think...
Xanithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 17:24   Link #14
Kaijin
かいじん

Based on my previous experiences, I've learned not to judge an anime based on popularity, hype, or the trailers/previews. Trailers/previews are a marketing ploy to get you interested in watching the show, so it can make a crappy show look great. Or if not done correctly it can also make a great show look crappy (sometimes the trailer is so vague, as to avoid spoilers, it ruins the concept of marketing the show). I've had those experiences of watching a trailer or reading a synopsis and thinking it was a dull and uninteresting a show only to be proven wrong once I browsed the blogs or forums...and then watching for myself. I want to reserve judgment until I've watched a few episodes, but naturally I'm not immune to a good-looking trailer and so I did get a lot more interested once I'd seen it. I mean I've got 18 animes (out of some 30-odd new entries) that interest me this season, but what turns out good remains to be seen.
I'd heard of the manga and it's been on my "to read" list, so I wasn't unfamiliar with the story though. The voice cast is also great and even if Studio DEEN isn't known for it's works of genius, I like their art and they may just create a gem this Spring season. I agree with Westlo, I hope the music used in the trailer is their OP, I thought it was great.
Old 2008-03-29, 17:52   Link #15
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
A guy in a mediaeval parallel world with fantasy beasts and swordsmen? What is this, reverse Twelve Kingdoms?

While I am not terribly impressed by the style, it is Kazuhiro Furuhashi and it has got to have redeeming qualities. I will be checking it out, if only to see if I am wrong to suspect that this is a waste of time.

Because, it does feel like a typical waste of time adventure, yet it's by Furuhashi. DOES... NOT... COMPUTE...
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 18:44   Link #16
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
A guy in a mediaeval parallel world with fantasy beasts and swordsmen? What is this, reverse Twelve Kingdoms?

While I am not terribly impressed by the style, it is Kazuhiro Furuhashi and it has got to have redeeming qualities. I will be checking it out, if only to see if I am wrong to suspect that this is a waste of time.

Because, it does feel like a typical waste of time adventure, yet it's by Furuhashi. DOES... NOT... COMPUTE...
Hey, he directed Binchou-tan, no-one has an unblemished record!
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 18:47   Link #17
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Bincho-tan is a zen anime, don't be hatin'!

It's meant for sarariman relaxation, therefore it is good. 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 18:59   Link #18
kimchipride
Geass User

I watched the trailer.
It doesn't look too shabby!

I'll be looking forward to this one, since the animations seem really good.
Old 2008-03-30, 01:39   Link #19
Hedd
Random Object

It has alot of pretty in it though the description doesn't seem to do it any justice. Hopefully it keeps a solid plot with all the pretty.
Old 2008-03-30, 08:15   Link #20
Kaijin
かいじん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedd View Post
It has alot of pretty in it though the description doesn't seem to do it any justice. Hopefully it keeps a solid plot with all the pretty.
Yeah sorry that description was rather vague.

I found this summary of the manga on ANN:

Rikugou Tokidoki, a common Japanese high school student, has failed his last history test. So to make up for it he has to study at a museum that uses state of the art virtual technology to place you right in the middle of the Edo period. However, when he runs into a being called a nue, a masked man riding an enormous monster, he loses the sight in his right eye. After realizing that he is no longer wearing his goggles, he discovers that he is trapped in the Edo period, where he meets Shinonome Kon, another person in a similiar position as him, and Kuchiha a female samurai who saved his life.

Tags
historical, studio deen, supernatural