AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-01-11, 22:16   Link #1
Shadow Kira01

Ethernet Cables

I just bought a new ethernet cable, since the old one seems to have twisted wires or something like that. From browsing at various stores, I have become curious of the prices..

What is the differences between a 30 dollar Cat5e cable and a 10 buck one? Does it offer more speed or a longer lifespan?
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 23:17   Link #2
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

They might have better-built connectors (more durable plastic, covers over the "clip" thing) or maybe a slightly better jacket.

If you maintain your cables properly you'll probably do much better with three $10 cables.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 23:39   Link #3
Sci-Fi

To be honest, not much difference. To qualify as Cat 5E, the wires have to meet minimum tolerances and specs. For $30.00, I can get a pre-made 50ft length of Cat 6: http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Result...294965744/p-63

Can find Cat 6 patch cables for $8-10. Prices aren't that much different between Cat 5E and Cat 6. Much of the cost difference is if the wire(s) is stranded or solid (higher cost). Many just opt for Cat 6, just for the higher rated bandwidth for any future expansion or upgrades to their network.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-11, 23:55   Link #4
Shadow Kira01

Thanks for the suggestions. That's what I thought too. Replacing the 10 buck cables for another 10 buck cables is a better option.
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-12, 16:36   Link #5
Strahan

I wouldn't even buy a $10 cable, heh. Monoprice has very low cost cables, may want to check them out. You didn't specify a length, but if you need say 10' cables they are only $1.28.

Well, I actually just realized I misread your last post. I thought you meant you were looking for 10 cables. If you only need one, nevermind. With the cost of shipping, it's about pointless ($6 something with shipping). If you need alot is when it is great.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote