AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2008-12-16, 20:23   Link #1
Shadow Kira01

Ethernet Cables

I have been wondering... If the ethernet cable is tangled and bent, will it degrade one's internet connection to non-functional? After losing my internet connection a few times today, I did some straightening out my e-net cables and my internet connection is up and running with spectacular speed boost. Should I buy new ethernet cables or just try to un-tangle them once in awhile? I mean, even if I do buy new e-net cables, it will end up tangled again..
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-16, 20:51   Link #2
martino
makes no files now

I think that depends on how tangled they were. AFAIK most cables have a copper core (I may be quite wrong here...). If you've ever played with copper (or in general, any thin piece of metal) you would have found that after twisting it a couple of times it'll break/snap. If you've really tangled/bent them up badly, then there is the possibility of your connection problems being due to that. A way to check is just to simply borrow a new (or presumably not yet damaged) cable and test-drive it for a while. While cables are not that expensive, it may be a good idea to do that first.

I usually just destroy my earphones this way. Whenever I put them back I just tangle them up in whatever way that makes it fastest for the moment and takes up the least. In the end, I have to end up buying new earphones more frequently. But I'm sure that ethernet cables are much more durable. Kind of boggles me how you could bend them so badly...

Last edited by martino; 2008-12-16 at 21:01.
martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 12:48   Link #3
Sci-Fi

Typically the problem will be at the connector, either the wires need to be re-stripped for a better conductivity and/or the connector needs to be replaced. Most ethernet cables are rarely moved from the initial setup, so something else is happening if it's getting tangled or bent into weird angles. The wires and shielding are pretty durable and I've seen setups where the cable is exposed to outside weather and temps for over 10+ years (running a cable between houses/buildings like a phone line) without a degradation of signal/conductivity when compared to a new cable.

Just buy new pre-made cables. They are cheap enough. Not worth investing in buying connectors, boots, the crimp tool, or testing equipment unless you do it for a living or need a bunch of custom length cables.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 16:43   Link #4
Shadow Kira01

After 3 times of fixing my internet connection by straightening the ethernet cables, I have realized that it is the source of my internet connection non-functioning or malfunctioning. I plan on getting new ethernet cables sometimes soon, because mine are too long and it gets tangled up all the time. For now, it works.. Everytime the connection goes dead, I would smooth out the cable and it only takes seconds to possibly 2-3 minutes to fix it. The download speed is over 200kb/s compared to like 10-20kb/s before straightening the e-net cables. The ethernet cable actually does matter and it plays an important role in maintaning optimized speed too. (^_^)
Old 2008-12-17, 17:11   Link #5
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
lol I got mine running from the upper floor down, in the corner of the doorway and with the door closed and I have no connection problems or anything
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-18, 06:42   Link #6
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
lol I got mine running from the upper floor down, in the corner of the doorway and with the door closed and I have no connection problems or anything
Sounds cool! I haven't had any connection problems since I last straighten out my e-net cables. Mine is actually too long and so, I had to tangle it under the desk and work table thing. The result is that it degrades my connection speed. For now, I don't intend on getting new cables, since everything is working perfectly fine now.
Old 2008-12-18, 18:01   Link #7
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
Sounds cool! I haven't had any connection problems since I last straighten out my e-net cables. Mine is actually too long and so, I had to tangle it under the desk and work table thing. The result is that it degrades my connection speed. For now, I don't intend on getting new cables, since everything is working perfectly fine now.
mine is about 10 meters but it is just enough to cover the length down the stairs to the bedrooms, i got this one for temporary use but it is always handy to have one
Old 2008-12-18, 18:06   Link #8
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
mine is about 10 meters but it is just enough to cover the length down the stairs to the bedrooms, i got this one for temporary use but it is always handy to have one
WOW!! Mine is 3 meters, I think.. I still cannot get my internet to work with psp or ps2. To get internet connection for those two gaming device, I would need a router. The idea to spent 50 bucks just to update my AR MAX codelist for ps2 in a speedy fashion isn't really worth it. On the other hand, getting the psp to go online is somewhat beneficial when it comes to downloading demos and free updates on certain UMD games I have, but it is not entirely necessary. After all, the games I am currently playing don't have the download option. I am looking for a 1-2 meter ethernet cable, but I can't seem to find it anywhere in stores. The ones they sell are 3 meter and up.. My DSL modem is like 30cm away from my computer and having a long e-net cable just doesn't make any sense.
Old 2008-12-18, 18:08   Link #9
Strahan

You can beat the crap out of the cable, it'll be fine so long as it isn't sliced. The connectors at the end are what you need to be careful with. I've had several cables slammed shut in door frames, pulled harshly through walls over various objects, scrunched up into little balls and various other forms of abuse and had no problems. They're pretty solid.

Now don't be trying that with a fiber optic cable, heh.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-18, 18:11   Link #10
Strahan

If you wanna go cheap just to get internet to those items if you check craigslist you can pick up an old nic and switch/hub for cheap then use Windows ICS to share it out (assuming you are using Windows). For example right now in my area's craigslist you can get a network card and a 5 port Linksys switch for $12.
Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-18, 21:33   Link #11
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
WOW!! Mine is 3 meters, I think.. I still cannot get my internet to work with psp or ps2. To get internet connection for those two gaming device, I would need a router. The idea to spent 50 bucks just to update my AR MAX codelist for ps2 in a speedy fashion isn't really worth it. On the other hand, getting the psp to go online is somewhat beneficial when it comes to downloading demos and free updates on certain UMD games I have, but it is not entirely necessary. After all, the games I am currently playing don't have the download option. I am looking for a 1-2 meter ethernet cable, but I can't seem to find it anywhere in stores. The ones they sell are 3 meter and up.. My DSL modem is like 30cm away from my computer and having a long e-net cable just doesn't make any sense.
the one at my parents house is even longer, I got my pc on my room in the attic so the cable goes from the living room to the 2nd floor to a splitter cause my parents pc is there and then another cable goes up to the attic through the same hole as my tv cable. the previous owner had the cable going through the wall and then outside up against the wall but we didn't like that. As for length I would just ask around stores, I used to have a cable of 30 cm there should be ones with your length we got ours because there's a guy at my work who does his internship there but he also works for a computer repair shop that also sells things like this and they had cables in all sizes and even custom sizes if you needed anything specific I believe
Old 2008-12-19, 13:05   Link #12
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
After 3 times of fixing my internet connection by straightening the ethernet cables, I have realized that it is the source of my internet connection non-functioning or malfunctioning. I plan on getting new ethernet cables sometimes soon, because mine are too long and it gets tangled up all the time. For now, it works.. Everytime the connection goes dead, I would smooth out the cable and it only takes seconds to possibly 2-3 minutes to fix it. The download speed is over 200kb/s compared to like 10-20kb/s before straightening the e-net cables. The ethernet cable actually does matter and it plays an important role in maintaning optimized speed too. (^_^)
Alternatively, you can learn how to coil cable. If you treat cables the right way you'll get to keep them way longer, and your desk looks way less cluttered. Just leave roughly 3 feet of slack for both connectors, coil all the extra parts properly, and fasten them (don't bend them in any way!). Now you don't have to care about them!

http://www.proavmagazine.com/industr...ticleID=595597
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote