AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2009-01-20, 02:38   Link #1
fdsafdsa

Help: I can't use my external hard drive!

Something's wrong with my external hard drive. I can't use it anymore for some reason. I use Windows XP on my Macbook. My external hard drive is 110 GB, and I don't know what brand it is. All of my USB ports are still working, and my external hard drive has a light that lights up when it's plugged in, and it still lights up when I plug it in.

Here's the situation. Nornally when I plug in the external hard drive, I open it in the [My Computer] window, but now it doesn't show up there anymore. Yet when I plug it in, I still get that icon at the bottom right of the taskbar that let's me remove things safely. And whenever it's plugged in, my computer becomes kind of a mess. To be specific, some things become very unresponsive. I try to open a few things, such as items on the desktop or the volume control in my taskbar, but they wouldn't open. Other things freeze as well, such as not being able to open the [start] menu or click on anything in the taskbar. But when I unplug my hard drive, they all finally open! I cannot open my external hard drive, and it's freezing my computer all over the place when it's plugged in!

This is very important. What can I do? Can anybody please help? If there are details you need to know about my computer, please ask.
fdsafdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 03:04   Link #2
sa547
*Author

Have you tried plugging and using the external HD with someone else's computer? I have a similar experience with my brother-in-law's HD. The things that's on my mind are either of the following:

* Autorun.INF viruses/trojans
* Possible glitch with the external HD circuitry (not on the hard disk itself but the interface)
* Possible problem with the cable

The only thing I might do (if this external HD is in a third-party enclosure) is to test it by removing the HD from the enclosure and plug it into the motherboard's SATA or IDE ports. If it's doing well without hangups, then the enclosure could be the culprit.
Old 2009-01-20, 04:23   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

To see if your external hard drive is being detected by Windows, right-click on "My Computer" and select "Manage". Then under "Storage" select "Disk Management".

If your external drive is listed there, please tell us what status the drive is in, if such information is displayed. Also, if it's detected, what options do you have when you right-click on the drive in this window?
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 08:14   Link #4
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
I know this problem, though I've never had a solution for it which sucks.
I would suggest trying your disc on another computer just to see if it works, this was the problem I had I would plug my USB in, the tune would play that a new device has been found and it was added in the taskbar so I could remove it safely however it never showed up (by that meaning in Explorer so it wouldn't launch it at all, I'm guessign this is your issue as well) , on another computer though it would and it would work perfectly
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-20, 10:35   Link #5
fdsafdsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
To see if your external hard drive is being detected by Windows, right-click on "My Computer" and select "Manage". Then under "Storage" select "Disk Management".

If your external drive is listed there, please tell us what status the drive is in, if such information is displayed. Also, if it's detected, what options do you have when you right-click on the drive in this window?
Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Here's what I got. I went to the Disk Management like you suggested.
First I went there without plugging in my external HD, and I got a list of four drives: two unnamed drives, the C drive, and the DVD drive (E drive). I tried plugging in the external HD while the Disk Management window is up, and nothing happens.
And then I tried to plug in the external HD first, and then go to the Disk Management window. But when I did, after a long wait, the box on the right side of the Disk Manag. window is completely gray, and I also get a pop-up window saying:

Disk Management

The Disk Management console failed to connect to the remote computer because the Disk Management remote service is not in the Windows Firewall exception list. Add the Disk Management remoting service (dmremote.exe) to the Windows Firewall exception list and try again.

Sorry, but do you have any other solutions? Do you know what I should do regarding this pop-up window?
Old 2009-01-20, 17:26   Link #6
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Er, I don't really have a suggestion for this error message, but I just remembered something else you could try: how easy is it is to disassemble/reassemble the external drive bay? If there are screws on the casing you could loosen to get to the drive, you might want to take it out and assuming there is a regular "internal" drive inside, connect it directly to your PC (this unfortunately also requires opening your PC).

I was able to partially revive a few external drives this way that were not very responsive when connected through USB but still worked when connected directly.

Of course if there are no screws on the drive case, or you are not comfortable with opening your PC to connect the drive directly this isn't a option (unless you don't mind wrecking the external drive case).
Old 2009-01-20, 19:47   Link #7
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Is there any changes you made to the computer right before you encountered this problem? Or maybe you unplugged the HD while it was being read? Or did this problem just appear out of the blue?

Instead of Disk Management, try to see if the hard drive is detected in Device Manager. I believe you can get there through control panel. If it does detect the hard drive, right click and see if there are any problems. If it does have problems, try uninstalling it (there is a button for it at the top of Device Manager) then reinstalling it. If it doesn't detect the HD, it could be a connection problem, which then I can't be much of a help.
Old 2009-01-21, 00:54   Link #8
fdsafdsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Er, I don't really have a suggestion for this error message, but I just remembered something else you could try: how easy is it is to disassemble/reassemble the external drive bay? If there are screws on the casing you could loosen to get to the drive, you might want to take it out and assuming there is a regular "internal" drive inside, connect it directly to your PC (this unfortunately also requires opening your PC).

I was able to partially revive a few external drives this way that were not very responsive when connected through USB but still worked when connected directly.

Of course if there are no screws on the drive case, or you are not comfortable with opening your PC to connect the drive directly this isn't a option (unless you don't mind wrecking the external drive case).
Thanks for the suggestion, but I gotta say, it's kind of a scary one. I really can't afford to risk ruining my external HD and lose its contents. Oh, and by the way, I'm using my Macbook right now, which uses Windows XP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochgo View Post
Is there any changes you made to the computer right before you encountered this problem? Or maybe you unplugged the HD while it was being read? Or did this problem just appear out of the blue?

Instead of Disk Management, try to see if the hard drive is detected in Device Manager. I believe you can get there through control panel. If it does detect the hard drive, right click and see if there are any problems. If it does have problems, try uninstalling it (there is a button for it at the top of Device Manager) then reinstalling it. If it doesn't detect the HD, it could be a connection problem, which then I can't be much of a help.
No, I haven't made any changes to my computer. This problem happened all of a sudden. However, I wonder if the way I unplug my external HD had something to do with it. Usually I go to the icon on the bottom right of the taskbar to safely unplug it. But sometimes, I get this pop-up message that says that it can't safely be removed. I forgot precisely what it said, but I do remember the words "generic volume". At times like this, I close everything and unplug it anyways. But it always worked after that anyways. I wonder if I did it too many times.

By the way, I can't seem to find the Device Manager you mentioned. I don't see it in the Control Panel. Is there a more specific location? Do I find it after clicking on one of the icons?

Last edited by fdsafdsa; 2009-01-22 at 01:26.
Old 2009-01-21, 01:36   Link #9
sa547
*Author

Okay, on your Desktop (or at the Start menu) there's My Computer. Go there and right-click, then select "Manage", which'll get you the Computer Management console.

From there go to Computer Management (Local) > System Tools > Device Manager.

Now within Device Manager devices are grouped into several trees, one of which has Universal Serial Bus controllers. But if you want to see how they're actually connected, change the View to Devices by Connection, then go to where the USB controllers are.

Since you're using a Macbook, I suggest about having someone hook up the hard drive (out of the external casing) inside his (standard desktop) PC and test it over.
Old 2009-01-22, 01:17   Link #10
fdsafdsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulassassin547 View Post
Okay, on your Desktop (or at the Start menu) there's My Computer. Go there and right-click, then select "Manage", which'll get you the Computer Management console.

From there go to Computer Management (Local) > System Tools > Device Manager.

Now within Device Manager devices are grouped into several trees, one of which has Universal Serial Bus controllers. But if you want to see how they're actually connected, change the View to Devices by Connection, then go to where the USB controllers are.

Since you're using a Macbook, I suggest about having someone hook up the hard drive (out of the external casing) inside his (standard desktop) PC and test it over.
Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Okay, I opened the device manager, and I got to the part where the devices are grouped in many trees. And I see the Universal Serial Bus controllers tree. But what am I supposed to do after this?

When I plug my external HD into the USB port, there's a "USB Mass Storage Device" that appears in the list of Universal Serial Bus controllers. And in the Disk Drives list, there's a "Generic USB Disk USB Device" that also appears after I plug in the HD.

Taking the HD out of the casing and installing it into a PC might be a good idea, but unfortunately, it's not an option for me right now.

My problem hasn't been solved yet. Can you guys please continue to help me the best you can?
Old 2009-01-22, 10:51   Link #11
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

As you use a Mac Book, do you still have Mac OS X installed? You might want to try how far Mac OS X gets in recognizing the drive, even if it's formatted as NTFS.

If you no longer have Mac OS X installed (though it seems weird to buy a Mac Book to use it just with Windows), you could also try this with the Mac OS X installation DVD as it should contain the Disk Utility too (check the Apple window when the installation window has loaded).
Old 2009-01-25, 13:21   Link #12
ninjinsamax3

Did you try another USB cable?

Best way would be taking it out, but if that is not an option that just kills a way to safely get out your files.

If you can try to run a chkdsk on it or use something like HD Tune to see if there are any bad sectors. But of course, if your hard drive does not show up as an option that will be a problem too.

Just another USB cable to be sure.
ninjinsamax3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-25, 13:26   Link #13
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjinsamax3 View Post
Did you try another USB cable?

Best way would be taking it out, but if that is not an option that just kills a way to safely get out your files.

If you can try to run a chkdsk on it or use something like HD Tune to see if there are any bad sectors. But of course, if your hard drive does not show up as an option that will be a problem too.

Just another USB cable to be sure.
another usb cable wouldn't be of any use because the pc recognises the device and is able to read it it just doesn't open it with explorer which is a different story all together
Old 2009-01-25, 13:33   Link #14
ninjinsamax3

Oh, that was good for clearing it up for me.

But wasn't that your problem? And he didn't really reply to your comment.

And if the files are really important it should not hurt to take out the hard drive, right?
Old 2009-01-25, 18:27   Link #15
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:
Oh, that was good for clearing it up for me.

But wasn't that your problem? And he didn't really reply to your comment.

And if the files are really important it should not hurt to take out the hard drive, right?
well with my problem it was a USB stick, no cord involved and basically it is the same as the OP's however I just switched computers cause it was only happening on some pc's at school and on others pc's I never had any problems including my own and that way I simply avoided confrontation by picking a school computer that worked lol =P
Old 2009-01-25, 18:48   Link #16
ninjinsamax3

Oh, nice work dude! Computers do have attitude, don't they?

But then, the OP is kind of reluctant on taking out the hard drive, so it's kind of hard to determine any further what else though, as everyone else including you suggested so many things.

I was just picking my luck as in the cable. Sometimes things that seem like something maybe not be that something? heh

So basically, the hard drive is readable but not accessible?

edit:

What anime is your avatar from? Looks interesting, but seems familira..

Last edited by ninjinsamax3; 2009-01-25 at 19:04.
Old 2009-01-25, 23:25   Link #17
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
Taking the HD out of the casing and installing it into a PC might be a good idea, but unfortunately, it's not an option for me right now.
I am assuming that you have tried connecting the hard disk to another machine (or tried different usb ports, and different usb cables).
I think, taking out the hard disk and putting inside another enclosure may be the quickest method to see the origin of your problem. If the hard disk has no problems, then you can solve it by replacing the enclosure. But, if the problem is caused by the hard disk itself, then you need to look into options to recover your data as soon as possible, before trying anything else.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 01:37   Link #18
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Quote:

What anime is your avatar from? Looks interesting, but seems familira..
mine? Its from Switch
Old 2009-01-26, 02:21   Link #19
ninjinsamax3

Thanks. Will check that out.

Sorry for off topicing this thread though.

Hope the OP replies soon then we can help him. hehe

Just to make sure is it this?
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=8722

Last edited by ninjinsamax3; 2009-01-26 at 02:32.
Old 2009-01-26, 05:45   Link #20
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
My Maxtor 500g does annoying issues like this too. I'm mostly thinking it's my USB connectors that are messing up but if it doesn't read.

DO what GHDpro said to make sure your computer is at least reading it first. Since USB devices has an autorun unless you turn it off but most leave it on auto read.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote