Shaman King 2 6.90%
Sonic X 1 3.45%
Winx Club 1 3.45%
Yu-Gi-Oh! (both original and Capsule Monsters) 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-03-15, 22:41   Link #1
SpiderBraids

The least of all evils: 4K dubs

Here's a poll I came up with. Which of these shows (in your opinion) were the least badly dubbed by 4K?

(I did leave out a few shows in order to fit the 10 choices limit, so if it's not listed, then just leave a reply.)
SpiderBraids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-15, 22:52   Link #2
LionsMane
Courageous Guardian

Send a message via AIM to LionsMane
I voted for Pokemon. I only watched the first of the seasons so I can't say much for the recent but out of all those shows listed Pokemon wasn't the worst dub 4kids had rummaged up.
LionsMane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-15, 22:52   Link #3
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Defiantely One Peice . A really good show has been turned into a complete mockery
Old 2007-03-15, 22:54   Link #4
SpiderBraids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
Defiantely One Peice . A really good show has been turned into a complete mockery
Hey, the question is, which is the least badly dubbed show. Or in lesser words, the best dubbed show.
Old 2007-03-15, 22:58   Link #5
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Yep One peice and Pokemon , One peice is ruined because of sensless editing and I belive all dubs are bad
Old 2007-03-15, 23:42   Link #6
bayoab

Quote:
Yep One peice and Pokemon , One peice is ruined because of sensless editing and I belive all dubs are bad
You really don't get the point of this poll.

And pokemon is the only thing which, from what I've read, they didn't completely ravage so that gets my vote.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-15, 23:54   Link #7
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
You really don't get the point of this poll.

And pokemon is the only thing which, from what I've read, they didn't completely ravage so that gets my vote.
I did get the poll bayoab and whats with the sarcasm .

One peice dubs arnt that bad they could have been worser . The problem with one peice is sensless editing so I said One peice is lesser of the evils . And what am I talking about ?

Quote:
Leaving the cool part the smoking thing has a lot more significance . If Sanji was given a lolipop in the orignal version .. there would be no Gojyo as we know today .

Gojyo ( saiyuki ) and Sanji share the same seiyu Hiroaki Hirata . Well that seiyu due to his Sanji role has been typecast to play parts where chracters are chain smokers . You could imagine what big of an impact that Sanji role had . Taking away a chracter trait like that is wrong and crossing the fine line

Hiroaki Hirata

Last edited by Zu Ra; 2007-03-16 at 00:09.
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-16, 00:34   Link #8
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:

One peice dubs arnt that bad...
Sorry to say, you'll live in infamy for that statement ...

As for best of the worst, I'd go with Shaman King and Yugioh...

Because Shaman King is basically fluff anyways and childishly comedic at all stops (despite some intense scenes of fighting)...Yugioh was actually good despite the dub IMO...I mean with Yugioh the most important thing were the duels and for the most part except for excessive violence or gore the integrity of the duels were kept intact (I used to go to a board that had all the Yugi edits side by side to confirm this)...I mean the horror of the Shadowrealm (often used in place of "death scenerios") in some instances seemed worse than death itself (Just ask Mi Valentine after Marik crushed her)...The only thing that truley irked me about Yugi was the nth power friendship babble meant for sugar-flavored children^^...I didn't care that we missed out on a little violence from Joey and a few other characters...I also watched many Japanese eps and quite frankly I enjoyed the energetic dub music (Especially Kaiba's chessy hip-hop track ) more than some of the slow paced dark music found in the orginal...

For the record though there handling of One Piece is a scar on the integrity of anime at-large...And totally unforgivable regardless of what entertainment I got out of Yugi...
Old 2007-03-16, 00:41   Link #9
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Actaully I have seen Shaman King on subs and Yugi oh isnt my type of show . Compared to Pokemon I found One Peice dubs more tolerable Just maybe the edits I was talking about irked me more in the case of One peice . And the quote you used for me statement are in comparision with other 4kid shows .
Old 2007-03-16, 01:26   Link #10
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^Yes I took the quote a bit out of context, but many believe there is no context where that should be expressed...The degree of editing is so pathetically bad that I have went from anger and bewilderment to acceptance and sheer hysteria...I don't even see One Piece as a $hit dub anymore...I laff at it as a plague to the underbelly of true anime...As a citation to a paper yet to be written...As an academic review of sorts and honestly can enjoy some of it in this aspect...To those who have never seen Jap-version One Piece I feel sad for their ignorance, but believe some good may potentially come of it in the form of searching for more anime titles...
Old 2007-03-17, 20:19   Link #11
SpiderBraids

HUH. No love for the fairies of Winx?
Old 2007-03-17, 20:31   Link #12
KaWaitress
Waitress Fetish ♥

Send a message via AIM to KaWaitress
One Piece, absolutely. The original show was terrific, but 4kids completely decapitated it and turned it into a screeching nightmare.
KaWaitress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-17, 20:42   Link #13
SpiderBraids

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaWaitress View Post
One Piece, absolutely. The original show was terrific, but 4kids completely decapitated it and turned it into a screeching nightmare.
Then shouldn't you have picked something else? (We're asking for the LEAST bad dub here, i.e., the BEST 4K dub.)
Old 2007-03-17, 20:44   Link #14
KaWaitress
Waitress Fetish ♥

Send a message via AIM to KaWaitress
^ I'm pretty much saying One Piece is their only major screw-up. Turning an amazing feat into pure mediocre anime. On a whole, all the other dubs didn't deviate too much from the originals IMO
KaWaitress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-18, 11:03   Link #15
Darkman.exe213
Yurippe is mai waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
I mean the horror of the Shadowrealm (often used in place of "death scenerios") in some instances seemed worse than death itself (Just ask Mi Valentine after Marik crushed her)
Actually, she was also mind-raped in the original Japanese version, not killed. But I do agree with you, the "Shadow Realm" thing seems worse than death at times. Apparently, 4Kids thinks death = bad, but extremely painful and endless torment is okay.

Pokemon definitely had the best dub, because half the scripts were actually kept intact, even if 4Kids made it cheesier.

KaWaitress: Have you actually seen the Japanese versions of other shows licensed by 4Kids? For Shaman King and Yugioh, their scripts were completely re-written. I've never seen Tokyo Mew Mew before, but I've heard more than a few complaints about how bad the dub was.
Old 2007-03-18, 12:06   Link #16
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman.exe213 View Post
I've never seen Tokyo Mew Mew before, but I've heard more than a few complaints about how bad the dub was.
It was rewritten a bit. I was kinda irked at how the difference in scripting threw me off from what I originally saw for the japanese version. I think some of the jokes were americanized too, but I wouldn't know as I havent watch alot of it. I think I stopped at ep 11

I agree pokemon wasn't a bad dub, for one thing Pikachu stayed the same
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-18, 17:32   Link #17
xxanimefan4_ever
Sorri++

Well I don't watch FOX on saturday mornings...

don't really get why you put winx club, isn't that like american so their "cheesy lingo" is the original dub which is english. but anyhow the kids-animated show made here all have annoying voice actors except like south park but that's not a kid show

Uh least would be........ I don't know, the pokemon dub irritates from their fake high-pitched voices, the yu-gi-oh dub from what i've seen from flipping channels was unbearable (the lame lingo and weird voices that don't fit)...

I guess I can't vote since I dont' want to watch any of these shows except pokemon which was a long time ago.
xxanimefan4_ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-18, 19:31   Link #18
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxanimefan4_ever View Post
Well I don't watch FOX on saturday mornings...

don't really get why you put winx club, isn't that like american so their "cheesy lingo" is the original dub which is english. but anyhow the kids-animated show made here all have annoying voice actors except like south park but that's not a kid show

Uh least would be........ I don't know, the pokemon dub irritates from their fake high-pitched voices, the yu-gi-oh dub from what i've seen from flipping channels was unbearable (the lame lingo and weird voices that don't fit)...

I guess I can't vote since I dont' want to watch any of these shows except pokemon which was a long time ago.

Winx club is originally Italian, and 4kids "valley girled" up the dialogue, similar to what they did to Tokyo Mew Mew.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 11:00   Link #19
harukamae
だんご大家族の一人

Send a message via MSN to harukamae
YOU FORGOT CASEY AND FRIENDS!

~oh wait...that was a 2Kids dub!

I think Pokemon was definately the best of the dubs 4Kids did and I actually liked the voices (Pokemon was one of my first anime). YGO had a lot of problems but the dub was still pretty decent so I'd say it's their second best. But considering 4Kids just gave up their Poke-license, does this mean they're going outta business or something (I'd think Pokemon was one of their more profitable projects)

But yeah...I have to go to a fi-yay-stah now. ^^
harukamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-19, 11:13   Link #20
Edgewalker
Nani ?

Gaaaahhh im not sure we could really vote on this. If anyones like me they stopped watching Dubs on TV...heck stopped watching TV in general a loooooong time ago.

My TV watching includes buying DVD's when licensed and DLing fansubs for things that havent showed up on American shores yet. Screw Saturday morning crappily dubbed crap, I only watch that tripe when Im bored and want to have a few laughs at how bad it is. Saturdays are better spent sleeping in and then staying up all night.

That being said, I would say Pokemon is the least worse dubbed. But it wasnt that great to begin with anyways, so there wasn't much for 4k to ruin.
Edgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote