AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2011-11-27, 12:37   Link #1
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Anime with youkai?

Recently two series have caught my attention. Nurarihyon no Mago and Natsume Yuuchijou. If I'm looking for action, Nurarihyon looks like the way to go. Youkai plus slice of life themes that might make me tear up(at least from what I've heard)?*looks at Natsume Yuuchijou* Or would I be better off reading the manga? For anyone who has read/watched these series before, what did you like about them that kept you following the series? Dislikes?

The only other series with youkai that caught my attention was Yozakura Quartet, but some story arcs got confusing and unappealing to me as I kept on reading(along with the antagonist). But I did enjoy it's setting though.

Free for any other recommendations too.

EDIT: The purpose of this thread was originally to look for anime with traditional Japanese youkai, but feel free recommend me anything else with monsters and spirits anyway.

Last edited by Student no.0; 2011-12-06 at 17:31.
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-27, 13:30   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I recommend Mushishi but not all the spirits are sentient. This is the slice of life variety. There's also Spirited Away and Otome Yokai Zakuro

For the action variety there's Blue Exorcist and Kara no Kyoukai.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-27, 14:18   Link #3
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Otome Yokai Zakuro I guess

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-27, 14:54   Link #4
kitten320

The most obviouse choice would probably be Inuyasha...

Then there is Otome Yokai Zakuro
Spirited away
Ao No Exorcist

Hundred stories is more like mystery but pretty good one.
Old 2011-11-27, 14:57   Link #5
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Otome Youkai Zakuro too. I really want to recommend Kekkaishi but the anime adaptation only scratch the surface of the manga's story. So, the 'real' meat was never there.

Other animes with youkai or that kind would be Tokyo Majin Gakuen, Jigoku Sensei Nube, and (to some extend) Supernatural anime.
Old 2011-11-27, 23:18   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

For stories about youkai, nothing tops Bakeneko and its sequel, Mononoke, in my book.

Hakaba Kitaro presents a more comic story, but it's still pretty dark and closer to the original source material than some of the other Kitaro adaptations.

Ghost Hound has youkai, but not in a traditional setting like these shows or Natsume Yuujinchou. The stories in Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo weren't all that strong, but the witty scripts and excellent voice acting helped compensate for a "monster-of-the-week" style of plotting.

For a very different type of creepy show, I'll suggest Mouryou no Hako. It opens on a train where one of the passengers is holding a box with the live head of a young woman inside. Aero's and Aoi's trackers for this show are no longer online, but a Google search will provide other alternatives.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 01:17   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Depending on how you're defining youkai, you might find Kamichu! interesting as well (kind of fun 'Shinto 101 Primer').
Old 2011-11-30, 02:08   Link #8
Niji

Check out Kekkaishi. It has a lot of humor, and action. The 2 leads are a boy and a girl hunting youkai. The "endgame" is pretty cool.

Shounen Onmiyouji should qualify too. It is one of my all time favorites. There is more magic around than just the youkai though. Cool action, cute romance. And one of my all time favorite chars in anime, Mokkun! Generally high production values. One of the strongest ends in anime history for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare Boy View Post
Recently two series have caught my attention. Nurarihyon no Mago and Natsume Yuuchijou. If I'm looking for action, Nurarihyon looks like the way to go. ... Or would I be better off reading the manga? For anyone who has read/watched these series before, what did you like about them that kept you following the series? Dislikes?
I do not know the manga, I have seen Nurarihyon anime.

Likes: the youkai, Shintou playing a big part, the action, some really cool fights, likeable chars, good opponents, cute romance (though I am really NOT into romance )
Dislikes: main is somewhat too cute, most time, the "good" youkai are too cute. Some fights were over a bit too fast. For me. YMMV
Niji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-30, 02:53   Link #9
HasuMasu
*Artist

Would Bakemonogatari count?
Old 2011-11-30, 12:26   Link #10
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
Would Bakemonogatari count?
I'd say its on the periphery but could count.
Old 2011-12-01, 04:13   Link #11
ScandelousMusic
~Soldier~

Princess Mononoke (in a sense.) I suppose Crono Crusade could count as well.
Old 2011-12-01, 19:24   Link #12
Haladflire65
*Artist

I haven't seen it yet but Hotarubi no Mori e seems to be rated pretty highly. It's based on another work by Natsume's mangaka so you'll probably like it! This time there's a boy that's a youkai I think, interacting with a little girl. It's a 45-minute movie, I'm planning to watch it soon too
Old 2011-12-01, 21:37   Link #13
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare Boy View Post
Recently two series have caught my attention. Nurarihyon no Mago and Natsume Yuuchijou. If I'm looking for action, Nurarihyon looks like the way to go. Youkai plus slice of life themes that might make me tear up(at least from what I've heard)?*looks at Natsume Yuuchijou* Or would I be better off reading the manga? For anyone who has read/watched these series before, what did you like about them that kept you following the series? Dislikes?
I've been following Nurarihyon no Mago up till now. I like the story and how the youkai are portrayed (not all of them were made to look like a cool guy and pretty girls, so they still retain their unique characteristics). The action concept is quite similar to the use of "Nen" in Hunter X Hunter (if you knew that series) which is good IMO Every youkai has a unique power depending on their nature, and can be manifested in different forms.

Despite that, I think the anime is rather lacking in action scenes. Not as intense as most shounen series, especially in the 2nd season where the art quality is kinda deteriorating. I recommend reading the manga, though
Old 2011-12-02, 10:23   Link #14
mecharobot

What, no xxxHolic?
mecharobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 10:41   Link #15
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Here we have yet another example where someone posts a request, many of us spend valuable time and effort responding, and we never hear a word of acknowledgement or thanks from the OP. Folks, that's just rude. If you open a thread in Suggestions, be damn sure you pay attention to it!
Old 2011-12-02, 10:55   Link #16
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Ok, come now Sensei. He/she could be busy with something else or somehow don't have any internet connection that makes him/her unable to reply even if he/she wanted to. Yeah, it's just a speculation, but lets be positive about it ^_^.
Old 2011-12-02, 10:59   Link #17
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Nope, have to go with Sensei here... the OP has posted twice in other threads since starting this thread five days ago. This seems to happen a lot (though mostly in the Suggestions thread) where someone asks a question, other people do what is sometimes a lot of research and its crickets and tumbleweeds from the OP.

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-12-02 at 14:14.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 11:09   Link #18
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Oh dear. If that's so, then I guess you're right. Patient has its limits .
Though I'm not that concern about gratitude when I post in the suggestions thread. Just glad that the OP got the anime that he/she wanted.
Old 2011-12-02, 14:03   Link #19
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well to be fair it's possible that he doesn't simply want to say "thanks for the suggestions" because that would be too vague and lame, and would actually like to respond to everyone, but seeing as there's so many to respond to, he's procastinating. I tend to do that a lot, though admittedly it's a bad habit...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-02, 16:32   Link #20
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'd be perfectly happy with just a quick note that says, "Thanks for your suggestions. I'll let you know what I think about them when I get a chance to watch them." Something like that. Just something to confirm there's a reason to keep posting in this thread.

I've been encountering the same pattern in another forum in which I post regularly (Ubuntu Forums). People will post a request for help, they get some, then the OP never reappears. It's just a current annoyance of mine.