AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 133 70.37%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 43 22.75%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 5.29%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 1.06%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.53%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-01-05, 12:39   Link #41
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

The flash back was nice, cant wait to see where that leads

Hahah Mai v Yuuichi in the training was awesome! He got owned. I realize why Mai said what she said to Sayuri but still, it comes off as so mean

Sayuri past...oh my....that was heartbreaking, btw nice catch to the members who caught Sayuri's wrist, I would have totally missed that.
(man Baka Manju, I never tied the anime name with the music played in the cafe....duh!)
Gah the bathroom scene!! Poor Mai. Man I love this anime, this epi is a 10
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2007-01-05, 12:44   Link #42
Mashimaro
q8D

I'm going to be all over the OST.
Old 2007-01-05, 13:10   Link #43
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity7 View Post
And as for the "I like Sayuri" line, we had subbed it as "I care for Sayuri. I really do. That's why..." as it made the most sense context-wise. I feel that going by "I like Sayuri" or "I love Sayuri" has always been ambiguous, as Yuuichi had also said the same thing in episode 13 with the "Sayuri and I care for you!" line.
Ah, the good old "suki" issues.

While it's up for interpretation and personal preference, "daisuki" is certainly on the upper end of "caring for" someone. If you mean that "that's why" refers to the context of "that's why I just shut her down cold", we're agreed. However, the relationship between Mai and Saiyuri goes beyond the more unpersonal-distanced "caring for". Your interpretation implies that Mai's statement is more neutral, and that's where I disagree. Especially for someone like Mai, "daisuki" is a _major_ admission.
Old 2007-01-05, 13:28   Link #44
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Nice to have my lame neophyte guesses on translation confirmed by someone with more clue base.
As for what that *means*, personally, I've always interpreted Mai's bond to Sayuri as a really viscerally emotional soul-bond (she really couldn't carry on without Sayuri) - to use the greek -- "agape" rather than "eros". Obviously fan fiction can go nuts with it, but I think they're interpreting incorrectly

Anyone who chooses Mai is, by default, going to have to deal with Sayuri being inextricably in the picture.... not such a bad deal really.
Old 2007-01-05, 13:32   Link #45
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Anyone who chooses Mai is, by default, going to have to deal with Sayuri being inextricably in the picture.... not such a bad deal really.
In fact, sayuri's help would be required for anyone who chooses Mai.
Old 2007-01-05, 13:57   Link #46
Julius Firefocht

Smile

I don't know what to say. This episode simply blew my socks off....again.

Yukari Tamura was too good in this episode. The berserk mode that Mai entered into right outside the hospital, it was so well done I could hardly believe this is the same lady who voiced Nanoha. And the animation in the action scenes, it was so fluid and smooth that it truly has to be seen for yourself.

Sayuri's flashback was very emotional, and that watergun scene was extremely touching. Emotional manipulation seems to be a strength of KyoAni, and I am only too happy to go along with the mood that they so successfully created.

I also liked how Nayuki instantly woke up at the mere mention of the jam, and how Ayu was left to the wolves by U1 and Nayuki. XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
What about Mai? She is either wielding a Wh40k Power-Sword, or has the strength of a Demi-God to smash those stuff up.
Don't you know that Mai wields a Strength 6 Nemesis force weapon? She is a powerful daemonhunter after all!
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/

Last edited by Julius Firefocht; 2007-01-05 at 14:15.
Old 2007-01-05, 14:34   Link #47
Jer
(((( _°Д°)))~hwat!?

Send a message via MSN to Jer
Just caught up with the subbed version. Words can't seem to express my feelings towards this episode. I'm speechless and in awe of how good this particular episode is done and how it left an impact on me. Really wow! Mai has certainly clinched the no.1 spot in my favourte Kanon character's list. Her seiyuu is just godlike. A perfect 10.
Old 2007-01-05, 14:39   Link #48
Noppapana
> Haruhiist <

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
after this ep
i wonder if the anime title is named after that classic music
Old 2007-01-05, 14:46   Link #49
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

The musical piece is actually "Canon" i think...the series name is derived by adding a K.

neway..what can I say..it was one heck of a brilliant episode...Mai's berserk scene and the last moment between Sayuri and her brother were beautiful.

Loved how they changed the music for Ayu eating the Jam.

I m happy for the small Sayuri Arc since it wasnt shown in the Toei version. Arigatou KyoAni. BTW...did Sayuri try a suicide after her brother's death, because i think they shoed a mark on her wrist???

All in all a great episode. Plus Nayuki's sleep sessions made more sense, cause supposedly she was speakin to someone in them

Cant wait for next week...most probably its the finale on Mai's arc...or it might take one more episode
Old 2007-01-05, 14:47   Link #50
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The German spelling is, in fact, "Kanon" so... yes. The weaving of a simple melody with overlays until it becomes a complex uplifting totality.
Johann Pachelbel's Canon in D (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachelbel's_Canon)
If someone feels professional, they might add a note to the wiki in the popular section about the connection of Kanon to the piece.

It looks like Random Curiosity's server is getting hammered, either by an attack or a sudden burst of popularity (i.e. Slashdotted). Everyone might want to leave it alone for a while til they get better control.
Old 2007-01-05, 15:10   Link #51
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Well, this was a very nice ep indeed. As a first time watcher, Sayuri getting hurt was definitely a huge surprise for me. Was not expecting that. Mai's outburst at the end also was very well done. (tho they went a bit over the top there imo)... animation was awesome.

Mai's breakdown in school after seeing Sayuri hurt was marvelousely(sp?) done.

Sayuri's past was a sad one, as we get to learn she was a quite crappy sister, and now is suffering because of that. Now that i think about it, she indeed allways laughs in that flat, dry way, despite seeming happy. Kudos to KyoAni once again.

I wonder if Yuuichi will give Mai those rabbit ears Nayuki got for him

Yuuichi gets half a point for realizing that Nayuki is worried about him. He will get the other half if he does something about it, because the way he treats Nayuki is less than friendly.

Major gripe - we didn't get to see Ayu's reaction after eating the jam Nooo *cough*

So, the next ep probably ends Mai's arc. Can't wait for the conclusion.
*suffering from lack of Shiori*

Great episode, KyoAni sure know how to please the crowd.
Old 2007-01-05, 15:25   Link #52
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_trance View Post
The musical piece is actually "Canon" i think...the series name is derived by adding a K.
The original title of the piece is "Kanon und Gigue in D-Dur" by the German composer Johann Pachelbel. Canon is the English word for Kanon. Therefore, both versions are correct.
Old 2007-01-05, 15:46   Link #53
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Awe! Wow! Lol!

Spoiler:
Old 2007-01-05, 15:46   Link #54
Tasdern
Kairin fan club member

Jam thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyz View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-01-05, 15:47   Link #55
Devil Doll
My name? But my name is..

Reading this thread, I guess it's all about the expectation you have.

I sure would trade at least one Makoto episode for more of Sayuri's story from the game; then again Kanon 2k2 did't have that at all, so I got something that alone would make it worth watching this series for me.
And it wouldn't have been easy to show more Sayuri without having a complete flashback episode as Yuuichi isn't really a part of this story, so Sayuri can only tell the events from her point of view (and she might be reluctant remembering the gory details...). I guess this was as much as KyuAni could reasonably show (with Yuuichi being the narrator of the series).

All in all, this episode has won me over for Kanon 2006. Mai's "animal-san" explained by Sayuri was so cute. The whole swordfight scene on the rooftop with Mai pushing away Sayuri was just awesome with its combination of comedy and seriousness at the same time. Mai seems completely unaware how much she hurt Sayuri at this moment (compared to this Sayuri will take her wounds from the demons with a smile!). Mai's reaction to Sayuri getting hurt was powerful as well. And KyuAni, you know you have to tell us what's in that jam at the end of the story, right?

One more reason for my "10" rating for this episode is that
Spoiler for Nayuki stuff, covers events from later in the series plus Kanon 2002 content:
If there's anything I am doubtful about in this episode then it is the
Spoiler for the conclusion of Mai's story in Kanon 2002:
As for the use of Pachelbel's Canon (originally from Latin, and there written with "c"... ) in the anime, it's already mentioned in Wikipedia.
Old 2007-01-05, 15:50   Link #56
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Even though I still insist TOEI's version was also nicely done, I got to say this one is just close to perfect. Kudos to the scriptwriters, so far the story is arranged in a way much better than AIR's. As Skyfall mentioned, my only complaint about this episode is the lack of Ayu's reaction of Akiko's jam. I was all already to make a gif out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic_trance View Post
I m happy for the small Sayuri Arc since it wasnt shown in the Toei version. Arigatou KyoAni. BTW...did Sayuri try a suicide after her brother's death, because i think they shoed a mark on her wrist???
Yes, she did attempt to cut her wrist, but she got scared. The cut was a very deep one though. This episode pretty much covered the whole first part of Sayuri's arc, in the second part (in game) she continued her story after Kazuya's death, which included an explicit description of how she tried to cut herself. KyoAni did a nice job covering her arc.
Old 2007-01-05, 16:22   Link #57
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Doll View Post
As for the use of Pachelbel's Canon (originally from Latin, and there written with "c"... ) in the anime, it's already mentioned in Wikipedia.
Jesus, you really didn't read what I wrote, right?

I say again, Pachelbel was a GERMAN. It means that his works carry GERMAN names. The name of the piece had nothing to do with latin or anything, it was plain GERMAN: "Kanon und Gigue in D-Dur". Or, translated to English: "Canon and Gigue in D Major"

See this Wikipedia entry
Old 2007-01-05, 16:25   Link #58
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

A perfect 10 wouldn't do this episode justice, it deserves three times that score, in other words, a class beyond its own. But as my choices are limited, a perfect 10 it is.

Poor Ayu. LOL It's a pity they didn't show her instant reaction like they did with Makoto's. And I was so looking forward to her crying and going "Uguu~". Good thing they made up for that later by having poor Ayu comment on how "unique" the jam was.

Spoiler for Known victims of Akiko's Jam, in chronological order:

Mai doesn't reveal it, but she shows extreme cunning in winning shiritori everytime by adding a -san to every animal name.

Even when she's realized this wouldn't go too far......

Mai: Kirin-san
Yuuichi: ......
Mai: Kirin
Yuuichi: It still ends with an "n"!!!
LOL

My understanding for Sayuri's sad backstory about her late brother has increased even more. In the visual novel, it was largely texts with only two CGs, the rest was up to imagination, so it was great to see chibi-Sayuri even more.

The invisible demons sure were more ruthless than how I perceived them in the novel, I never thought they would leave Sayuri in such a bloody mess. It's amazing Sayuri survived.

Mai's breakdown near the end, what else is there to say? It was greatly done. Yuuichi grew in stature once again for sharing Mai's burden and comforting her. It was a good touch to make Yuuichi the one to decide to "end everything tonight" instead of Mai in the visual novel.

Spoiler for next episode:
Old 2007-01-05, 16:35   Link #59
Tasdern
Kairin fan club member

Spoiler for How the plot weaves along.:
Old 2007-01-05, 16:43   Link #60
Tasdern
Kairin fan club member

"Camera Angle and motion"

Spoiler for ”Camera bump”:

This is good, really good animation.