Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2020-03-27, 16:46   Link #61
Johnny Dy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0cean View Post
Clannad at least has a bunch of cute girls
Yes, I liked Sailor Moon too... when I was a teenager and found out the deep and happy thoughts girls skirts can bring. Sadly enough, their mystery is gone, just like Santa Claus. In a way it's like Kung Fu movies that were magical in those times, and now I find them quite boring. The more you mature, the less you care about graphics. Probably.

You know those memes with people drown in crude lines? Like "Someone is wrong on the internet, hold my beer!" or stuff like that. Or South Park that has worse art than anything you can think of, still people watch. It's about the story and the characters, not about the graphic. Just for the record: I don't like South Park anymore either, too worn out humor.

Comparing Little Princess Sara with the best anime in market at the moment Kimetsu no Yaiba which is a 9.5/10 in my book, there's a lot of cool scenes in Demon Slayer, cool graphic and cool dynamic, makes your jaw drop at times! Yet still, for me characters are the most important part of any book/movie/anime, then the story on 2nd place. Demon Slayer has lots of cool moments but now that I think about it, I don't care much about any character, maybe just a little about the sister of the main character. Because as good as it feels live watching it, when you look at it in hindsight, it feels unreal. That's just the opposite from how Little Princess Sara feels, despite the graphics that look bad only for a couple of episodes, till you get the hang of it. Then there's Becky that immediately you'll care for and the main character that you'll love more than your own sister. This is an anime that took the modesty and humility of the book characters and rise them to even further depths. It's about something I like to call extreme morality and how people with extreme kindness can absorb the worst of hate and bad conditions life has to offer, and never give any of it back. It's one of a kind. It changes who you are as a person. As the main character of this show enters in your heart and tells you, just like her, to absorb the hate people throw at you and not return it in kind. And after you did it, it doesn't feel bad, it feels you can be proud of yourself, that you've been just a little like Sarah Crewe.

Our discussion reminded me of another 8.5/10 anime in my list called Gambling Apocalypse: Kaiji, which has extremely bad graphic, worse than Little Princess Sara, and you don't even care that much about the characters but the story is cringe as hell and keeps you glued to the screen because it makes you feel that it might be you out there, inside the TV. Especially if you're also a gambler, like me. The story was so good that after about 2 episodes I didn't notice their thick necks and crude facial drawn features anymore.

Last edited by Johnny Dy; 2020-03-27 at 17:09.
Johnny Dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-27, 19:39   Link #62
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Are you guys talking about Clannad or Clannad After Story? Because After Story is where it's at, it's the entire reason people rate Clannad so highly. There's a massive gap in quality between the two series.
Old 2020-03-28, 02:15   Link #63
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

I was talking about Clannad. I've dropped After Story 11 episodes in, because it was unbearable to watch. That was 12 years ago, when it came out.

Personally, I still prefer pretty girls in my anime. They're just pleasing to the eyes. I'd also rather watch great animations than having to deal with poor animations. There's only so many stories out there and by now I've probably seen most of them, so story rarely is enough to get me hooked. Just glancing over that Sara anime, I can figure out what each character is like, with everyone being an hardcore cliche, like Lavinia or Maria, who's entire point is probably to give Sara a hard time. Or Becky, who's there to be her ally in hard times, but then again lacks the ability to do anything else but comforting her when things go wrong. I don't even have to start the first episode to get these thoughts. It just looks like a gathering of really bad cliches. At the end Lavinia and Sara will probably be best friends, since that's how these types of stories always turn out. I'm not holding this against the anime, since it was likely based on a really old book, when these things weren't yet repeated to the point of turning into cliches. It's just that I don't like these kind of stories.

But hey, if you like stuff like Sara, I can recommend "Momoko, Kaeru no Uta ga Kikoeru yo." to you. It's not widely known, but hits a lot of the checkboxes you praise about Sara.

Complaining about the style of Kaiji is a little weird. It got it's unique style, but doesn't look bad. At least I don't think so. Well, at least the guys. The entire anime got only one girl in it and she looks like a guy, too. Another cool anime with that style is Akagi.
Old 2020-03-28, 06:22   Link #64
Johnny Dy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Are you guys talking about Clannad or Clannad After Story? Because After Story is where it's at, it's the entire reason people rate Clannad so highly. There's a massive gap in quality between the two series.
Yeh, I don't think I've watched After Story. But I can't remember.

Quote:
Complaining about the style of Kaiji is a little weird. It got it's unique style, but doesn't look bad. At least I don't think so. Well, at least the guys. The entire anime got only one girl in it and she looks like a guy, too. Another cool anime with that style is Akagi.
I've seen Akagi and it's not as good as Kaiji because he's always in control while Kaiji really is insane in risking his thick neck. Now although I appreciate your very close to the story anticipation of it, I have a problem if you say it has better art than Sara. It's unique, true, but not better. Anticipating the story doesn't mean you won't enjoy the scenes. It's like saying of Claymore that those women fight between themselves and some of them die. lolz

I believe you've read the posted review on IMDB for Little Princess Sara, but you should also read the 10/10 one. I will tell you where the guy that gave the series just 6/10 is mistaken. He has no clue about what extreme morality and sacrifice truly is: while he wanted blood at the end, those who made the series diverged from the book and completed Sara's true nature of selflessness, understanding that the ultimate sacrifice isn't that of pain in which you have little choice, but of forgiveness when you can take a well deserved revenge, that's about all your choice. Thus making the anime not worse, but better than the book, perfecting Sara's sacrifice, despite us who cared for her wanting some blood. :> That made me love her even more, failing to understand that which also happened to me 1st time I've seen it, can result in disappointment and a much lower rating of the show.

I mean think about it. If you torture someone for some silly reason for a while and that someone escapes you, when the tables turn, instead of payback time that you might feel it's coming your way, he chooses to forgive you; won't that affect you all the more? That is simply the ultimate defeat in front of someone much bigger than yourself, and after a few hours of reflection, that becomes painfully obvious. And by that Sara changes the nature of evil, into good. I wouldn't say evil, more like frustrated and hateful people that she understands and gives them the medicine of forgiveness when mostly anyone would have chosen the poison of revenge, including the young me or the 6/10 review guy. But, as I said before, Sara's story as presented in the anime, changed me.

I don't know what to watch right now, I'm a bit confused. I copied The Rising of The Shield Hero (which is a new anime) on my stick, but my Plasma TV refused the format. :/ Must search for something it likes to play.

Last edited by Johnny Dy; 2020-03-28 at 07:24.
Old 2020-03-28, 11:49   Link #65
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dy View Post
I don't know what to watch right now, I'm a bit confused. I copied The Rising of The Shield Hero (which is a new anime) on my stick, but my Plasma TV refused the format. :/ Must search for something it likes to play.
Many televisions don't like the the Matroska format (.mkv), or even if they can handle the container format, they don't like some of the codecs used. MP4s with AAC audio seem to work well. Don't know if you have something to convert the video with. I use ffmpeg, but then I'm running Linux.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-28, 15:24   Link #66
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Many televisions don't like the the Matroska format (.mkv), or even if they can handle the container format, they don't like some of the codecs used. MP4s with AAC audio seem to work well. Don't know if you have something to convert the video with. I use ffmpeg, but then I'm running Linux.
Just download handbrake, it's the simplest solution for windows and mac.
Old 2020-03-29, 03:52   Link #67
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

I don't read reviews or anything else about anime in general. I've only taking a casual glance at some screenshot from the Sara anime here. I got the names from the character portraits on that site. Predictable stories are boring.

In Claymore you can never be too sure who survives and who dies, except for the protagonist and I couldn't predict where the story was going. I mean, sure, if you read the manga you'll figure out that the story is going nowhere, since it was kind of cancelled before anything too important was revealed, but still. Saying an action anime will have fights isn't really predicting anything. It's like saying Sara will have some drama.
But since Sara is so heavily cliched, you can predict a lot more just looking at the screenshots for a moment. I've seen stories like Sara so often, that I have no trouble imagining exactly what will happen and how things will resolve and I didn't enjoy a single one of them, so I'm not going to watch Sara.

I enjoy when new stories spin a twist on things I've seen before. I've seen the hero turn around to forgive his torturers so often I'm tired of it. For once, I'd like to see the hero turn around and actually take revenge. Or turn into a monster himself. I'd be interested if Sara plotted against her torturers and have them convicted for crimes she herself committed. That would be an interesting turn of events, that I don't get to see too often.
Old 2020-03-29, 09:58   Link #68
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I find Handbrake rather clunky to use for file conversions. I prefer running a command-line program like ffmpeg:

Code:
ffmpeg -i input.mkv -vf subtitles=input.mkv -c:v mpeg4 output.mp4
This burns the subtitle tracks into the video. Some TVs can handle .srt subtitles; few support .ass.

I do use Handbrake to rip DVDs.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-29, 13:00   Link #69
Johnny Dy

Quote:
so I'm not going to watch Sara.
Thank you for taking the time to comment so much about something you will never watch. I've seen also shows like Sara, but only once. Sara I've seen 6 times, and 7th will probably come this year, around Easter time. As I love Christ and most of his teachings about love (including love your enemy, even though I don't agree most of it is really applicable to any given situation) but I love Sara more, both of them having similar teachings.

There is one thing though that I watch every Easter about 4 times at least: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7c-XY695hk&t=1s That's practically the whole movie.

PS: That doesn't mean I believe God exists 100%, I just love Christ, like Sara, both of them being more ore less invented by some people. I hope less, one of my dreams is that if God exists, he will ultimately create some of our best anime worlds, so we can have even more fun into an even better Paradise than Paradise promises.

Last edited by Johnny Dy; 2020-03-29 at 13:10.
Old 2020-03-31, 13:54   Link #70
Dawnstorm

Quote:
In anime history? Hmm, that's a bit strong. In my opinion it's Little Princess Sara, for me, the best drama ever made, artistic movies, serials and all taken into account.

Heh, I'm not going into a most-underrated discussion, really. <i>Shin Sekai Yori</i> is definitely one of the best anime of the decade, and one of the best dystopias in any medium. Too few people have seen it, but those that have generally appreciate it enough?

<i>Little Princess Sara</i>, on the other hand, is an 80ies anime, so fewer people talk about it, but it's part of the World Masterpiece Theatre series (various anime series based on world literature; the seventies shows are my childhood; I couldn't watch most of the eighties series, because they aired while I was at school...). <i>World Masterpiece Theatre</i> shows generally have a quite good reputation.

Those are different situations, but both shows are actually appreciated by the people who watched it. (I haven't seen the <i>Sara</i> anime, sadly, only a few episodes. I only know the story through a live action show. Haven't read the book either.)

In any case, if you're curious about other anime made after older books, google World Masterpiece Theatre. My favourite is <i>3000 Miles in Search of Mother</i>, but from what you're rating highly it's likely we have somewhat different tastes.

I didn't expect anyone to come on here and rate <i>Sara</i> a 10/10. Even though I probably wouldn't rate it that highly from what I've seen, it made me happy enough to make me post. As I said, these shows are my childhood/teenage years.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-31, 16:00   Link #71
Johnny Dy

Wow, thanks for replying, your post is welcomed!

Of course I rate it 10/10, I cry today when I see Sara, but the 1st time I've seen it... was a feeling in a league of it's own! There were those middle show episodes aired on RTL2, german TV. I was about 12 then I reckon, I had school in the afternoon so it must have been like in 4th grade when those still were going on. And I remember watching the episode when she is sent like usual to buy food at the market and she's
Spoiler:
At the age of 12, I already knew pretty well german watching Sailor Moon, Captain Tsubasa, Dragon Ball and other cartoon series for a few years now, and it was about 9 in the morning I think, I had snots literally dripping in my mouth, I think I used half a toilet paper role to clean them off my face. LOL And in 3-4 hours I had to go to school. I don't remember much of that day at school, and of elementary in general, but that episode is stuck in my mind as one of the mountain experiences of my life. Probably nothing now in mature life can compete with that, I'm way less sensitive especially to boring social life now than I was then, or then I am now to emphatic stories and lives.

I will check out your Shin Sekai Yori, sounds good. I'm searching it and downloading it so I will start watching tomorrow. I don't want necessarily stories like Sara's anymore as nothing will ever top it. It's impossible. You've seen the live action movie, but you can't find anything even close alike in that movie as what I've just described to you in the spoiler, can you? Because I've seen them too, they are not bad movies but can't hold a candle to the anime. The Sara in the anime is simply 10 times more lovable at least, the japonese actress that plays her (as the german one I don't remember) makes her feel so real, so dignified but yet so humble, it's the ultimate voice acting job fitting perfectly with her eyes, her demeanor, being exactly what a voice should be: the sound of one's soul.

I have a friend that like most of you has seen over 150 anime, maybe even over 200 and he's no fan of these cry-drama anime, but at my recommendations as he's had no other shows to watch, quoting "I've seen all the good ones." caved and looked it up. He said it wasn't the best anime but it kept him interested especially because of Lavinia, the anti-protagonist who again I quote "Is the worst villain I have ever seen in an anime! I have never seen such a hateful person on screen or in real life ever." That's because when girls are stupid and big headed, they can be stupendously mean, and that for vasts periods of time without reprieve.

I even said something alike that if there would be a competition of hate in the history of mankind, I think Lavinia would be a clear favorite to win it. In the anime Sara is about 2 years younger than Lavinia who is also clever in opposition with her moral cerebral death; and it's almost beyond any belief how one can hate so much someone younger that has never done anything on purpose against you, just reacted to your stupid superiority demeanor. That's exactly why Lavinia hated Sara so much, because Sara rejected from the get go to ally herself with Lavinia's aryan superior class ways, instead she defended the cry baby and the dense girls of the seminary/mansion, that were constantly being picked on or laughed at. She couldn't forgive Sara for being better than her, which was plainly obvious for all at the beginning. So if you can't compete in that respect - the one of compassion, compete in the opposite: total hate war that starts against a target left defenseless.

You won't find that quite as well pined down in any anime, but here.

Note. When they were equals, when she wasn't defenseless yet, au contraire: Sara never refused Lavinia's friendship because that was never proposed, and moreover that was something she wanted, she just couldn't stand by Lavinia being an asshole to more unfortunate girls, regardless of how much Sara admired Lavinia's other aspects. And then when she was defenseless she began to be the source of torture by the only person she admired! That's... well, cruel beyond cruel. The anime looks simple but isn't, it's 11/10 on emotional IQ scale. Clever beyond clever.

Last edited by Johnny Dy; 2020-03-31 at 16:48.
Old 2020-04-01, 04:25   Link #72
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
Heh, I'm not going into a most-underrated discussion, really. <i>Shin Sekai Yori</i> is definitely one of the best anime of the decade, and one of the best dystopias in any medium. Too few people have seen it, but those that have generally appreciate it enough?
Personally, I think Shin Sekai Yori wasted too much time on world building and neglected the characters. Every character just feels like a tool to show you the world. I couldn't care less for any of them, they were all bland and uninteresting. It's not a bad anime, the world is interesting, after all, but I don't think it's underrated. It has exactly the reputation it deserves, which is to be pretty much forgotten by everyone already. It's kind of like Kokkoku. Pretty intense while you watch it, but then easily forgotten again.

It also doesn't help that the show has an ending. As soon as a story ends, people tend to forget about it soon. Except if the anime in question was very exceptional or has themes that are still interesting, like Koukaku Kidoutai (1995) or Serial Experiments Lain (1998) that keep you thinking.
Old 2020-04-01, 12:39   Link #73
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Personally, I think Shin Sekai Yori wasted too much time on world building and neglected the characters. Every character just feels like a tool to show you the world. I couldn't care less for any of them, they were all bland and uninteresting. It's not a bad anime, the world is interesting, after all, but I don't think it's underrated. It has exactly the reputation it deserves, which is to be pretty much forgotten by everyone already. It's kind of like Kokkoku. Pretty intense while you watch it, but then easily forgotten again.

It's definitely a show that's more about its setting than its characters. I'd agree that the characters are mainly there to portray the world around them, but then the setting's the star of the show from the get go. I won't call the show perfect, but it is one of my favourites.

(For what it's worth, I quite liked Kokkoku, too, though not nearly as much as Shin Sekai Yori.)
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-01, 17:32   Link #74
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I have a bunch of favorite shows but the latests that felt like 10 out of 10 are Dororo and Id: Invaded. Also, if we are talking about old shows I recently watched due to recommendation it has to be Gungrave.
Old 2020-04-01, 17:45   Link #75
Johnny Dy

I remember Gungrave, not bad but 10/10!? Come on...
Trigun was at least 1 class over it and I can't give it a 9/10 no matter how hard I try.
Old 2020-04-01, 19:42   Link #76
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
I remember Gungrave, not bad but 10/10!? Come on...
Trigun was at least 1 class over it and I can't give it a 9/10 no matter how hard I try.
Trigun gets a 20/10 though

Trigun will always be my favorites but it's not a latest. I already watched Trigun dozens of times as a teen.
Old 2020-04-01, 23:39   Link #77
Johnny Dy

Lov'nd piss! I've seen it like 2-3 times way back when!
If they would have made like at least 1-2 episodes with the brothers together, in a short after story, I would have given it a 9. That was my deepest regret, the end of the 26th episode.

A 9/10 is a grandiouse mark, the likes of Attack on Titan, One Piece and Fairy Tail have it in my book, and those are very cool and complex anime.
For example My Hero Academia has only 8.5/10, it's below the 3 I just mentioned.
The 1st season of One Punch Man had 9/10, but I gave the 2nd a 10/10 so 9.5/10 overall, because I just love Garo that comes into the 2nd season.

I got here my comment after watching the 2nd season on bakabt forum, where I'm currently banned!

<<Garo is the best character out of this 2nd season, hands down!I didn't like how it began,
Spoiler:
just beat them to a pulp, and honestly, most of them had it coming! They too stupid with their hero shit. Except for Mumen Rider the only hero I felt sorry for, and he is the only true hero out of the bunch. He genuinely risks his life almost every time.

If you think about it, Garo just done once to heroes what heroes do to villains all the time, including Saitama: splash their organs all over the place and just think that's justice. A taste of your own medicine and... complaining much, beatch!? I agree with Garo, that hero shit starts to stink. It's one thing protecting innocent civilians, another thing altogether monster genocide just for the fuck of it. It must be a balance, and many heroes can't seem to notice where that balance is, either because they are just too full of themselves, or by sheer sadistic nature like nr. 1 A ranked Whatever Mask with a gay name hero. I just feel bad Garo didn't meet that stupid ass, he would have rearranged his so called cute face into a more suitable form to match with his inner character. But I have high hopes for the next season!

I also liked the simple but brutal truth about this anime world, about the real world, about any world, that is depictured here as Garo's part of his youth, some of the school years he's been forced to live under terror: one man's opinion against many. The heroes are nothing else than concepts and concepts can be trivialized like the kids in his class did, when actually they became the villains making Garo actually think for a very good reason heroes can be villains. The same in the crab story, the crab just protecting it's eggs against 3 heroes bound to overpower it, the same in the classroom where everyone's opinion was against Garo making him the bad guy, regardless of what he did or what was done against him. So what Garo did, trained for about 10 years to become strong was very admirable, and realistic, opposed to the beginning of this anime when Saitama traied for 3 years and became virtually untouchable, even if an atomic bomb would expolde in his eyes, his vision would still not be impaired or scathed in the slightest. What I mean is that Garo although depicted by everyone, even by himself as a monster, is the truest hero of this season, aside from Mumen Rider who would literally jump like Captain America on a grenade to save a life, giving his own.

Damn, after the way it ended, I'm not sure I can wait more than a year for the next season. I might just read the manga, I hear it's way more advanced. I hope I can, it's better with voices and color. We don't even know what happened to Sonic dude once he
Spoiler:
I gave the 1st season a 9/10 last year, but the 2nd season even though less spectacular maybe, Saitama didn't fight here against ultraGodAlien whatever, I felt it had much more complexity and truth to the themes (including the King, Hell Blizzard and Marital Arts tournament little arcs). Even though we didn't see Saitama and the upper ranks of the S class here fight much, I still give 10/10 to this season because of the sheer emotion it lays down that you may not expect from an anime like this, then I rise the overall rank of the anime to 9.5/10 because of the unexpected and welcomed contradiction between the 2 seasons, while both equally being quality.

Keep them coming author! They is goooooooood! >>

Last edited by Johnny Dy; 2020-04-01 at 23:57.
Old 2020-04-03, 08:52   Link #78
Johnny Dy

I'm watching Shin Sekai Yori atm, honestly it's nothing all that special. 8/10 so far at best, I'm 8 eps. in. The gay stuff I don't particularly care about, nor do I mind it, but what I did mind were the 1st 4-5 episodes, boring, and the cat stuff. Cat comes and gets you? WTF? That's like children stuff. I don't regret seeing it, but nothing that would make me wanna recommend it further, thus far. We'll see how it goes. Gonna edit later.

PS: Bit off topic here, where's the general anime topic I wonder...
In lack there of, I will continue here!

Later edit: 1st half of ep 14 was as interesting as it gets! Me like.

Last edited by Johnny Dy; 2020-04-06 at 16:57.
Old 2020-04-11, 16:20   Link #79
eriqtheapple

vinland saga 10/10 even though i havent read the manga, i still enjoyed it, it was an amazing anime...

i also gave gosick, bunny girl senpai and 1st season of 7 deadly sins a 10/10 hehe theyr all just personal favourites tho
eriqtheapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-06, 12:36   Link #80
Johnny Dy

Quote:
Later edit: 1st half of ep 14 was as interesting as it gets! Me like.
Finally finished Shin Sekai Yori, ep 14 and last episode were cool.
I liked the "monster rats" from the get go and considered humans inherently stupid for owning the arrogance to call them less then slaves. I wholeheartedly enjoyed Squeera's end scream "We are
Spoiler:
!", almost as much as when our main character(ess) shows contempt in ep 14 for the council of retards who kill all those who get close to the truth, even children... especially children. A deserved 8/10 for the anime at the end, despite it's bit boring worst episodes.

Finished what's to be finished up to date from Black Clover, solid 9/10!
My favorite character is Mereoleona, you get her character from her name. rofl

Last edited by Johnny Dy; 2020-06-06 at 12:50.