Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-07-13, 09:20   Link #81
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
^ Instead of "faking" the science in the show, wouldn't it be better if they actually present it factually with more details and clearer explanations of the danger so that kids wouldn't want to try it in the first place? Or have some live-action bonus/omake/infomercial at the end of each episode with guys talking about the science in the said episode like Hikaru no Go anime did in the past.
Some kids would probably do it anyway.

Plus, what you suggested sounds like it would make the anime more boring.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-13, 09:33   Link #82
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Like you said, the petrification is magic, but everything else is supposed to resemble our world at least closely including its science (anime-hair notwithstanding). We are supposed to recognize these humans (including Tsukasa) as "mere human teenagers", right? Well, there's nothing remotely "mere human teenager" about Tsukasa killing an adult lion with one punch and sent it flying. What is he? A rejected character from JoJo?
Not really. Senku, obviously, is a lot smarter than any teenager you could hope to meet. It's less obvious with Taiju, but he's a lot more suited to physical labor than you run of the mill teenager too. Tsukasa, even before the petrification, was a freak famous for his combat ability.

So, yes, like Frodonk said, they get their teenagers at the same store as Danganronpa.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-13, 09:35   Link #83
Cao Ni Ma

Quote:
Like you said, the petrification is magic, but everything else is supposed to resemble our world at least closely including its science (anime-hair notwithstanding). We are supposed to recognize these humans (including Tsukasa) as "mere human teenagers", right? Well, there's nothing remotely "mere human teenager" about Tsukasa killing an adult lion with one punch and sent it flying. What is he? A rejected character from JoJo?
I think you are looking at things from the wrong perspective. Just because Hajime no Ippo is a "boxing" anime doesn't mean that the boxing in it is realistic. Just because Baki/Kengan Asura are mixed martial arts series where they go in depth about combat styles that exist in real life doesn't mean they are realistic.

The best way to see this series is stone age mcgyver or batman against a hostile world.
Cao Ni Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-13, 09:52   Link #84
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
At that point, it's their own responsibility (or their parents), not the show anymore.

Quote:
Plus, what you suggested sounds like it would make the anime more boring.
It depends on execution. Hikaru no Go was a near-masterpiece and a successful anime that keeps you interested & engaged even for audience who knows jack-shit about Go-sport. And a lot of people like the live-action extra/infomercial that they put at the end of each episode about Go-knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Not really. Senku, obviously, is a lot smarter than any teenager you could hope to meet. It's less obvious with Taiju, but he's a lot more suited to physical labor than you run of the mill teenager too. Tsukasa, even before the petrification, was a freak famous for his combat ability.
People like Taiju exist in the world. The anime just exaggerated some of his features to some degree, so not much issue there with me. Senkuu's genius strained my suspension of disbelief but not enough to break it. Tsukasa's absurdity smashed that suspension to a million pieces. That's pretty much how I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao Ni Ma View Post
I think you are looking at things from the wrong perspective. Just because Hajime no Ippo is a "boxing" anime doesn't mean that the boxing in it is realistic. Just because Baki/Kengan Asura are mixed martial arts series where they go in depth about combat styles that exist in real life doesn't mean they are realistic.
I completely understand this. I'm a fan of Captain Tsubasa for god's sake. But I thought Dr. Stone was a survival series involving humans like what you get with Gantz or Battle Royal. I didn't expect them to have natural talent for superhuman powers like Tsukasa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao Ni Ma View Post
The best way to see this series is stone age mcgyver or batman against a hostile world.
Don't worry. From now on, I treat Dr. Stone characters like JoJo characters. You can never know what they're capable of, with or without Stands .
Old 2019-07-13, 10:04   Link #85
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
At that point, it's their own responsibility (or their parents), not the show anymore.
The people creating the anime might not care about "responsibility". Instead, they had concerns, as emphatic human beings, that children might hurt themselves as a result of the anime and made some minor changes to prevent it.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-13, 10:08   Link #86
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
The people creating the anime might not care about "responsibility". Instead, they had concerns, as emphatic human beings, that children might hurt themselves as a result of the anime and made some minor changes to prevent it.
And my suggestion in the previous page is actually the best course of action in order to inform the kids of the scientific danger of the experiments in Dr. Stone: by giving them infomercials with real people with real science at the end of each episode (like Hikaru no Go did). It's not an alien concept to do. It's been done before and successfully.
Old 2019-07-13, 15:06   Link #87
Wandering Soul

Quote:

People like Taiju exist in the world. The anime just exaggerated some of his features to some degree, so not much issue there with me. Senkuu's genius strained my suspension of disbelief but not enough to break it. Tsukasa's absurdity smashed that suspension to a million pieces. That's pretty much how I feel.
Honestly, I think the first hint that Taiju, much like the rest of the cast is not a "mere human" is the fact he held onto to his sanity after being petrified and conscious for so long. Considering how long most prisoners start losing their mind after being put in solitary confinement, add the fact that he can't even move during this period of time, and by all rights, the kids should be an emotional and mental wreck.
Old 2019-07-13, 15:13   Link #88
Jaden

I don't think it's a science story, or even a survival story really. Between the three of our superhuman characters, I already get the sense that there's nothing they can't do. The interesting part is what they choose to do.
Old 2019-07-13, 16:03   Link #89
4th Dimension

Quote:
I think you misunderstood me somehow.

Right now Senku is the leader. He's really calm, smart and knowledgeable. It's very unlikely that another person more suited to be a leader will appear. Despite that, if they revive an adult, that person will likely try to take charge. Primarily because he's an adult and they are kids.

Cage of Eden dealt with this to a degree actually.
That someone else is in charge, doesn't mean that this person would ignore advice from someone who clearly knows the situation better. This is why you PICK who you wake up

Quote:
Sounds to me like an EXCELLENT time to give out some Darwin awards.

Besides, if kids want to get into trouble doing chemistry with kitchen materials there is a whole LOOOOOAD of material on the interenet for them to use. And there is always one guy who will have done this in any larger group of kids, and he has either hurt himself and learned his lesson, or nearly hurt himself and also learned the lesson.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-13, 17:16   Link #90
Nivek von Beldo

At least they saved the waifu and themselves not reviving her with the lions...and Taiju should have bring clothes first

Tsukasa...yeah but even Senku would told you we're not better morar judge that anyone else...and wonder if Senku knew that but for him, is the challenged of doing it.
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-13, 17:17   Link #91
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
Honestly, I think the first hint that Taiju, much like the rest of the cast is not a "mere human" is the fact he held onto to his sanity after being petrified and conscious for so long. Considering how long most prisoners start losing their mind after being put in solitary confinement, add the fact that he can't even move during this period of time, and by all rights, the kids should be an emotional and mental wreck.
I usually consider such mental fortitude as "shonen determination" like what you can usually find in WSJ titles. I'm not sure if Dr. Stone is smart enough to address how unbelievable such mental fortitude is. But we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I don't think it's a science story, or even a survival story really.
Could've fooled me. We're two episodes in, and the show have spent like 80% of the runtime explaining chemistry and how to survive in a post-apocalyptic Stone Age.
Old 2019-07-14, 01:25   Link #92
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Considering the air time is late night, worrying about children watching the show and performing stupid acts should probably be a secondary concern.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-14, 09:27   Link #93
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Considering the air time is late night, worrying about children watching the show and performing stupid acts should probably be a secondary concern.
Reminder in Streaming Era, Airing Slot means very little
Old 2019-07-14, 10:41   Link #94
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek von Beldo View Post
Reminder in Streaming Era, Airing Slot means very little
Unless it's a show like Mix or Gegege no Kitarou, that draws big TV ratings.

While it's true that in the streaming era there aren't that many folks watching a series at 1 in the morning, the fact that a production committee chooses that timeslot is a broad indication that they don't think families or kids are a big part of their target audience.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-14, 15:30   Link #95
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post

While it's true that in the streaming era there aren't that many folks watching a series at 1 in the morning, the fact that a production committee chooses that timeslot is a broad indication that they don't think families or kids are a big part of their target audience.
And those two shows, are adults(as people with families and children) watching, Nostalgia is real, but yeah, seems they were to promote Dr Stone among the Adult/old teen fanbase first.
Old 2019-07-14, 18:26   Link #96
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post

Maybe that was the timeslot that they could get/afford. With streaming, the TV slot may not mean much anymore.
Old 2019-07-15, 00:43   Link #97
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Completely in love with this show after episode 2.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-15, 02:29   Link #98
alex_drian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
The fight was cool but it complete felt like something you would see aimed towards a young audience. It's like the first episode tried being realistic while the second one went full shonen jump with jokes and animal fights. I mean, even the refusal to revive the girl felt like the writer didn't want to include her in the story
This is SHOUNEN JUMP, it doesn't matter what kind of activity they are doing.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-19, 12:17   Link #99
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

I like how Yuzuriha just went with the flow right after being revived, oh we're going to run away from the madman that can catch arrows in midair and kill lions with his bare hands? Ok then. Oh what's that? We're going to Hakone on foot? eh whatever.

She's not bringing anything to the group except maybe being a muse, and cooking I guess, but we all know this wouldn't be interesting enough to other people without at least 1 cute girl.

It's also the first time I've seen all the other characters who've been revived, I'll pick this up since I'm interested in what will happen next lol.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-19, 12:21   Link #100
grecefar

I thought they were goin to pull off yuzuriha revival for a while, anyway I’m happy for taiju that had his waifu back finally.

I doubt tsukasa will die soon even if they manage to stop him, he was too good to be true, him killing the parent of those two children was low.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
geniusly insane mc, morality, post apocalyptic, shonen