AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-02-28, 18:43   Link #61
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Hey MG, did you follow the Ten Crack Commandments?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukinokesshou View Post
Actually, I didn't have classmates who did drugs (to the best of my knowledge) until I entered medical school. Some academic high flyers too o_O
Lol, this doesn't surprise me at all. In fact, I would expect it. When I was in school, most of my classmates were admitted recreational weed smokers, and a lot of them got higher grades than me and wound up going to better colleges than me.

I agree with Gin with the college thing, though. Drugs (especially weed) are much easier to get in college over high school and is more accepted, especially if you're living off campus. Not that it's that much different on campus, since there are no random drug searches. Room inspections occurs only twice a semester, and they tell you a week ahead of time. That's plenty of time to get any paraphernalia and the smell out. The RAs (residential assistants) don't really care either. For example, someone from another forum was talking about how a RA asked him for a bottled water. Forgetting that he had bag on weed on the top of the mini-fridge in plainview, he simply let the RA in. When he realized his mistake, he asked the RA if he was in trouble and the RA shrugged and said, "Only thing I saw was some chips". Granted, that's only one school, and private universites especially are probably more strict. . .

Last edited by Dilla; 2010-02-28 at 19:19.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 18:55   Link #62
Haladflire65
*Artist

Hm, I've just read the first post and kind of felt like pitching in

I attend a private single-sex school so I don't see much of the social ladder, and also there's less of a gap between popular kids and the not-so-popular kids. Seeing that we're all girls and don't have guys to fight over in the school, there's not as much drama as there would be in a regular public school... It's rather calm and boring here, which I think is a good thing. There aren't any cliques and stuff like that either. The only thing that really stands out for me here is that Westerners only hang out with Westerners and Asians only hang out with Asians, most of the time. I myself am Asian but I'm in a group of mixed-race friends, which is pretty rare in this school.

As for drugs and stuff... I'm boarding at this school and I've heard some disturbing stuff that happened last year
Old 2010-02-28, 19:54   Link #63
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Hey MG, did you follow the Ten Crack Commandments?Lol, this doesn't surprise me at all. In fact, I would expect it. When I was in school, most of my classmates were admitted recreational weed smokers, and a lot of them got higher grades than me and wound up going to better colleges than me.

I agree with Gin with the college thing, though. Drugs (especially weed) are much easier to get in college over high school and is more accepted, especially if you're living off campus. Not that it's that much different on campus, since there are no random drug searches. Room inspections occurs only twice a semester, and they tell you a week ahead of time. That's plenty of time to get any paraphernalia and the smell out. The RAs (residential assistants) don't really care either. For example, someone from another forum was talking about how a RA asked him for a bottled water. Forgetting that he had bag on weed on the top of the mini-fridge in plainview, he simply let the RA in. When he realized his mistake, he asked the RA if he was in trouble and the RA shrugged and said, "Only thing I saw was some chips". Granted, that's only one school, and private universites especially are probably more strict. . .
Part of the problem here is that many posters are lumping casual mild use (usually of weed) along with the heavy stoners, meth, inhalants, and other "insta-lose" options. Ain't the same thing - just as casual alcohol or even the random drunk isn't the same thing as the poison-binge lunatics who have blackouts. Loaded phrases that vary widely in meaning - especially if you have any intention at all of working in certain careers or being able to travel to certain places. Sadly, its all illegal and just being in the wrong car or party could end a lot of future potential.

Drug use isn't the entirety of student culture either (much less than many 'recreational users' might think). So lets not let it dominate the thread?
Old 2010-02-28, 21:21   Link #64
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilla View Post
Hey MG, did you follow the Ten Crack Commandments?

Man, so many stories, some of the most memorable events came from events arising from being in the 'business'. The bad far outweighed the good in the long run, wish I'd never even thought of it. btw Pot was never really that dangerous to deal. Heroin and crack were always pretty dicey. Never seen shots fired at pot deals. Thing was... the more money involved the more of a chance that one party would take the big risk to get both product and money. It kept you on your toes and was a rush.

I eventually ventured in other 'legitimate' activities (just lesser risks) after 10th grade like selling burned H-anime VCDs/DVDs (before bittorents got popular) to my classmates still ignorant of anime beyond pokemon/sailormoon/DBZ, selling football/basketball 'secrets' to another rival school, 'pleasure' toys to introverted girls (typically fat and emo), fake watches encrusted with 'bling' shit to my black customers (got them at JCK convention for real cheap).
After the 'bling' scene pretty much died (they won't take my 'price' anymore), I started getting into selling fine handbags made by Coach, Michael Kors, Dooney & Bourke and sold them to my female teachers and gay teachers afterschool. I can't believe i got into selling handbags... I thought they were really ghey... but that shit sells! Profit margins were through the roof!

By 12th grade i was doing 'business' 110% legit thanks to fine handbags and (later in college) jewelry

Last edited by mg1942; 2010-02-28 at 21:52.
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 22:19   Link #65
ChainLegacy
廉頗

mg you mean to tell me you were pushing heavy shit and you never even lit up some green?

I'm going to second what others have stated; drugs are way more commonplace in college than high school. Also, some of you guys need to learn the difference between cannabis (used by pretty much any type of person you can imagine), and hard drugs like coke.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 22:53   Link #66
john_kun
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harufox View Post
Probably another random post of mine, but for some reason, I just had to...

You see, I attend a public high school, and its not far from what the imagination pulls. The tough guys that rule the roost, the girls that just don't seem to care, and me and my friends who struggle to survive in an environment that's just as uninviting as a funeral.

The social ladder thing pisses me off too. I think its a good thing that me and my friends consider ourselves far from it. The cool kids at the top, the nerds at the bottom, and us....somewhere on the side.

I'm thinking of gathering opinions from students of all sorts. From public to private, from primary (elementary) to Uni, from the bottom of the food chain to the gods of the school. Just what's it like being where you are, and how do you do it?
Aww someone discovered social ladder ..how cute

And when I was a teen it was exactly the same. it's no different no matter where you are (western world mostly).,

There are always the top and the bottom. School is just another form of well placed hierarchy. It's like this no matter where you go .

Edit: I want to add that you and me we like it or not do indeed contribute to this hierarchy pyramid. But I guess it just the way it is. I mean everything starts with people thinking they can't be friends with one other because of all kind of reasons. And we probably can't but lets blame our selfish nature for that.

Last edited by john_kun; 2010-02-28 at 23:06.
john_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 23:11   Link #67
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post

I'm going to second what others have stated; drugs are way more commonplace in college than high school.
yeah and i think most of it center around on what i'll call 'academically enhancing drugs' (or 'super-cafenated drug') to keep students very attentive and alert to finish term papers at late nite , and drugs that keep people strait to prevent them from mentally breaking down like the VTEC killer cho sueung hui.

Quote:
mg you mean to tell me you were pushing heavy shit and you never even lit up some green?
all i know is the customers love to get their fix
you see... if I consume my supply... to me it's like burning my potential profits
inventory needs to be converted to $$$ asap (willing to accept 'reasonable' offers)

Last edited by mg1942; 2010-03-01 at 01:45.
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 23:23   Link #68
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Like Yukino said, I also know of more people who ended up doing some sort of substance abuse in medical school. Hell I considered some after I got held back a year.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-28, 23:33   Link #69
john_kun
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
yeah and i think most of it center around on what i'll call 'academically enhancing drugs' or 'super-cafenated drug' to keep students very attentive and alert to finish term papers at late nite , and drugs that keep people strait to prevent them from mentally breaking down like the VTEC killer cho sueung hui.
that guy sure showed those rich kids not to mess around...

wait are you saying he should have taken drugs ?
john_kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-01, 08:30   Link #70
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Yeah, one could say there is an 'adderall epidemic' going on throughout US colleges, at least if my one is indicative of the rest. Actually I hope to partially remedy this myself (and profit off of it), I've already begun working on a drink marketed towards college students for cognitive enhancement using nootropics, B vitamins, and brain-healthy fatty acids. Personally I use a cocktail of nootropics and other mental boosting supplements to help me with finals and I've never needed to touch adderall. That shit scares me, I don't trust pharmaceuticals at all

Also, damn the AS population is easy to troll...

Last edited by ChainLegacy; 2010-03-01 at 10:24.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-01, 10:35   Link #71
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
I went to a public high school, though according to my mother I was originally supposed to be homeschooled.

My memories of it are rather foggy (amazing how much it fades after only a few months!), but we were a rather diverse group. I don't recall any specific social ladder or cliques forming, mostly because no one was interested in that kind of thing anyway. Most of the time it was actually a pretty relaxed, calm place, and you could drift from group to group without much of a problem.

Though it definitely had its issues. We used to have quite a few fights, especially in my freshman year, and we had some gang violence and a major gun threat once. Kids also used to have a lot of sex in the corridors, at least before the cameras were installed. Drunk driving was a pretty big issue too, if I remember correctly.

But overall, I have rather nice memories of it.
Old 2010-03-01, 12:42   Link #72
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
The way I see it, student culture changes dramatically over time. In the beginning, in elementary school, a lot of student culture is based on who has the most power or who can establish the biggest territory. School is practically a game where you win popularity. It doesn't apply to every child, but that was what I experienced back in the day. It's not the same for girls from what I've seen. Taking example from my sister (and idk if it applies to everyone else), girls are there to just simply make friends and perhaps stir up a little drama on the side, but nowhere near as much as the boys do.

By the time you get to junior high, though, it gets a little more complicated because you start to understand more about the people around you. You could say you're not quite as introverted as you were in elementary school, but popularity is still really important and a lot of it is still a game. In the end, though, you're just trying to have fun. I was in a public school at this stage at first, but it was around this time that I moved to Saudi and went to a private school. But from what I experienced, there wasn't a great deal of difference between the two minus the fact that kids in the private school were much more disciplined and mature. What happened in elementary is carried over to the extreme when you enter a public junior high.

High School and college culture is a lot more simple. Sex, alcohol, fast food and money. That's what it's all about Tiers lose their importance because by this stage, most people are here for those four things and maybe studying. Maybe.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-01, 21:23   Link #73
Yukinokesshou
ドジ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
It's not the same for girls from what I've seen. Taking example from my sister (and idk if it applies to everyone else), girls are there to just simply make friends and perhaps stir up a little drama on the side, but nowhere near as much as the boys do.
Oh no no, BIG drama. Much more than the boys (I am a boy). Never saw as many b***h fights as in my primary school, and they were right aggressive. In P4, when girls hated boys, I got my underside kicked (literally) on multiple occasions, and never by boys. When the girls weren't united against their common enemy, they were constantly at each other's throats, constantly scheming and plotting to achieve dominance. In P5, when *some* girls started being friendly to me, I was forcibly pulled into their petty little territorial squabbles and got my underside kicked a few more times

Then in middle school (which was in a different country), they chased after me in sexually provocative ways... unfortunately it was always the slightly grotesque specimens who did so, never the girls I fancied, so I spent a fair bit of time hiding in the toilet -_-. As for the girls I fancied, some of them turned out to be a bit mean.

In high school, I finally found myself free of overt enemies for the first time in my life. Aaah...

Quote:
Sex, alcohol, fast food and money.
Fast food is a means to an end, not an end in itself
Yukinokesshou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 00:40   Link #74
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Maybe I'm going crazy, but does anyone sometimes feel that the rest of the community picks on you for looking like a student? I got a taste of bad karma today after I was forced to chase a bus for 300 metres because he didn't stop, and when I got to it he had already closed the doors and completely ignored the fact I wanted to get on that bus, and he knew I was there.

I don't know, maybe I am going crazy, or maybe I've turned invisible...
Old 2010-03-02, 00:42   Link #75
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I think the correct term is Adolescence.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 01:12   Link #76
FateAnomaly

Wow you guys sure have interesting and dramatic school life. My school life on the other hand is pretty mundane. No fights, no trouble, no drama. Sigh...
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 01:16   Link #77
LusterFlare
Lost.

Quote:
Maybe I'm going crazy, but does anyone sometimes feel that the rest of the community picks on you for looking like a student? I got a taste of bad karma today after I was forced to chase a bus for 300 metres because he didn't stop, and when I got to it he had already closed the doors and completely ignored the fact I wanted to get on that bus, and he knew I was there.

I don't know, maybe I am going crazy, or maybe I've turned invisible...
I commute almost everyday for school, and that happens from time to time, not just to students. I think it really depends on the mood of the bus driver haha. Though I don't know if it's any different from where you're from.
LusterFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 01:25   Link #78
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
Quote:
Originally Posted by LusterFlare View Post
I commute almost everyday for school, and that happens from time to time, not just to students. I think it really depends on the mood of the bus driver haha. Though I don't know if it's any different from where you're from.
No, he definitely had it in for me or something. Like I said, he knew I was there, and reaching for the switch just a couple of centimetres away wouldn't have been too hard for him, but he thought "no, i'll just drive off", and made my sprint effort a waste of time.
Old 2010-03-02, 01:43   Link #79
Bassoonicmayhem
The Procrastinator

Quote:
No, he definitely had it in for me or something. Like I said, he knew I was there, and reaching for the switch just a couple of centimetres away wouldn't have been too hard for him, but he thought "no, i'll just drive off", and made my sprint effort a waste of time.
If that's the case, I'd try to get on the guy's good side buy giving him a gift during the holiday season or whenever your school is about to go on break to thank him for driving you and such. That is, if he is your regular bus driver, if not, I'd give him the finger and mentally plot my revenge.

But the present thing usually works with bus drivers. I've had to move a lot in my past. I've gone to twelve schools in twelve years so I've had my far share of crazy bus drivers, so I'd advice trying that.
Old 2010-03-02, 01:44   Link #80
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Wow you guys sure have interesting and dramatic school life.
The worst stuff happened in elementary school: I got stabbed with a compass, another guy managed to drop a closet on a kid, and during the late elementary years, we got a perverted priest as teacher...and then I changed schools
Quote:
Look at the bright side of things! a) you got a BUS, and b)morning sprint's good for your heart, it helps the blood circulate so you can focus on the unexpected pop quiz.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
students