Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-02-02, 00:46   Link #41
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaara11
KouKou Kyoushi is really good and I have a big crush on Aya Ueto who plays Hina. The story is not original but the way they did it seems fresh enough. I'm looking forward for more. I'm also looking forward for Gokusen Live Action after hearing that it is better than GTO Live, so they say. Roots, I told you you'd like Summer Snow but it did mess you up.
Gokusen LA? I've heard the name tossed around before, but never really looked into it. Better than GTO? hah, I'd like to see that. No really, I would LOVE to see that What is Gokusen about? I'm assuming it's an anime/manga, but I haven't heard of it before.

And Summer Snow made me cry uncontrolably in the final episode. It didn't mess me up, but it sure hit that soft spot in my heart
Old 2004-02-02, 03:43   Link #42
Strider_Lee
shinobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
Gokusen LA? I've heard the name tossed around before, but never really looked into it. Better than GTO? hah, I'd like to see that. No really, I would LOVE to see that What is Gokusen about? I'm assuming it's an anime/manga, but I haven't heard of it before.
In a sense, it is somewhat set up like GTO (teacher trying to get the "bad" class of students out of trouble and so forth); however, the main character (a dorky/nerd looking female teacher) is also a member of a yakuza that is run by her grandfather (and she is to be the next heir). Though she tries to become a respectable teacher towards her students and fellow staff (while keeping her yakuza ways a secret from everyone) she brings out her toughness attitude and personality that she gained from being a yakuza (for instance, she protects her students even to a point where she will physically fight the opposition, and fight really well like a hardknocker yakuza should).

It has the same idea with GTO, but set up in a very different approach that makes it unique in its own rights.
Old 2004-02-03, 10:42   Link #43
Bakafool
The Green Beast of Konoha

Yeah, JDramas rule! For some reason, I find them more engaging than regular dramas. Oh well, if u'r gonna watch, go watch GTO live drama first. That'll knock you off your feet. Other good ones are Summer Snow, Hotman, Virgin Road and for a really bizzare one, try watching Love Complex.
Old 2004-02-03, 14:28   Link #44
Tboz

Quote:

And Summer Snow made me cry uncontrolably in the final episode. It didn't mess me up, but it sure hit that soft spot in my heart
Its a new anime series that just started. You can find it off animesuki, worth a look, its funny. There's manga too, but don't ask me where to find it.
Old 2004-02-04, 19:54   Link #45
aznkoodies
[asian - coo - deez]

Send a message via AIM to aznkoodies
If anyone knows any websites to Asian Film (Korean, Japan, Hong Kong, and Thailand) bittorrent dls, could you please AIM me?

Sites may contain dvdrips and licensed material, so please inform one another through personal contacts, thanks.
Old 2004-02-04, 20:32   Link #46
RavenChild
エリック

Send a message via AIM to RavenChild Send a message via MSN to RavenChild
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznkoodies
If anyone knows any websites to Asian Film (Korean, Japan, Hong Kong, and Thailand) bittorrent dls, could you please AIM me?

Sites may contain dvdrips and licensed material, so please inform one another through personal contacts, thanks.
this might be against teh(nice use of teh, eh?) rules. you might not want to talk about this kind of stuff. flame wars are no fun if you're being flamed.

*ravenchild prepares fire to fight with*
Old 2004-02-04, 21:17   Link #47
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Well the only site that I know of so far is Japan-TV which did the subbing of GTO Live, A Beautiful Life, Summer Snow, and other great J-dramas. I'll post a link here for those who are interested, and as far as I know none of these Japanese (and Chinese and Korean) drama's are licensed.

Come to think of it, is there any J/C/K-drama licensed in the US?
Old 2004-02-04, 22:07   Link #48
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
...Come to think of it, is there any J/C/K-drama licensed in the US?...
There is a TV station in Hawaii, which as many people know is part of the US, which broadcasts dorama. Their subbing is kind of cursory. I don't know what kind of rights they buy to air the shows. They don't sell home media. But they are obviously licensing Japanese content to at least a limited extent.

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-02-04 at 23:34.
Old 2004-02-04, 23:33   Link #49
Gaara11
~ Got Love? ~

Quote:
Come to think of it, is there any J/C/K-drama licensed in the US?
WNYE channel in New York (which we also get here in Jersey through our cable company) shows "Watashi no Aozora", a J-dorama, every Sunday at 11 P.M. This is the only one I know that is actually being televised in the U.S.
Old 2004-02-05, 00:30   Link #50
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
WNYE channel in New York (which we also get here in Jersey through our cable company) shows "Watashi no Aozora", a J-dorama, every Sunday at 11 P.M. This is the only one I know that is actually being televised in the U.S.
Do they dub it, or sub it and leave it in Japanese?

Also on another note, has anyone watched Long Vacation and liked it? It seems to be a modestly popular download according to Japan-TV BT stats, but after watching half-way through episode 2 I was too irritated to watch anymore. The main female lead is annoying and immature and reminds me too much of modern day American women. That and I think her acting sucks, even when she's acting drunk For those of you who haven't watched, she plays the role of a 30-something year old model (which is way old for a model) who's fiancee fled to another woman on the day of their wedding day. God she just annoys the hell out of me!

But the main male lead is the same actor who played Shuuji in A Beautiful Life. I think that he's a good actor, although so far I think he did better in that role than the one he plays in Long Vacation. Can't think of his name at the moment.
Old 2004-02-05, 02:40   Link #51
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
...has anyone watched Long Vacation and liked it?...
Sure, I liked it better than a few others I saw. It didn't take itself seriously all the time. The story was slow to develop but that's par for the course. At least it has 2 people in it who have free time to drink beer and stuff.
Old 2004-02-05, 21:47   Link #52
Gaara11
~ Got Love? ~

Quote:
Do they dub it, or sub it and leave it in Japanese?
It's sub. Kimura Takuya is the name of the actor from Long Vacation, Beautiful Life, and Good Luck. Long Vacation is very weak I think and it dragged like hell. He did better w/ Good Luck and Beautiful Life IMO.
Old 2004-02-05, 21:50   Link #53
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
It's sub. Kimura Takuya is the name of the actor from Long Vacation, Beautiful Life, and Good Luck. Long Vacation is very weak I think and it dragged like hell. He did better w/ Good Luck and Beautiful Life IMO.
He's in Good Luck as well? Is he the main character? I don't even recognize him! Must be because he cut his hair...
Old 2004-02-05, 21:56   Link #54
Gaara11
~ Got Love? ~

Quote:
He's in Good Luck as well? Is he the main character? I don't even recognize him! Must be because he cut his hair...
He's the main character in Good Luck. You're right about not recognizing him, but w/ Long Vacation not in Good Luck though. His hair was short and he's gotten skinny. Oh, I just finished watching Yanpapa and it was good.

Last edited by Gaara11; 2004-02-14 at 22:24.
Closed Thread