AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2013-02-03, 14:44   Link #1
Kudryavka

Other Language Comments

Are other language comments not allowed here? In the past I have put little comments on many of my posts in other languages for atmosphere or whatever. But they always get removed. This I am fine with, but then why my Japanese ones don't get removed even though they are the hardest to read?? I would like to stop breaking the rule, so I would like to know where the line is drawn.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 14:52   Link #2
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Are other language comments not allowed here? In the past I have put little comments on many of my posts in other languages for atmosphere or whatever. But they always get removed. This I am fine with, but then why my Japanese ones don't get removed even though they are the hardest to read?? I would like to stop breaking the rule, so I would like to know where the line is drawn.
There is a rule that allows Japanese "due to the nature of the site". It's in the rules somewhere.

Though this begs the question - If I wrote something in Mandarin and stuck some kana inbetween and on the edges, I wonder if I could sneak it in?
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 14:57   Link #3
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
There is a rule that allows Japanese "due to the nature of the site". It's in the rules somewhere.

Though this begs the question - If I wrote something in Mandarin and stuck some kana inbetween and on the edges, I wonder if I could sneak it in?
I know right??

这不是日本文可是用途汉字です。I feel like Suiseiseki desu.

And thanks. I knew of the rule, but I just wondered if Japanese past romaji is ok.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2013-02-03 at 16:24.
Old 2013-02-03, 15:07   Link #4
LeoXiao
思想工作

那是允許的です。我は在寫する日語です。真的です。 It's like this one "Japanese" restaurant near my brother's place where everyone working there is Chinese, 80% of the customers are Chinese, and presumably if you actually asked them for Japanese food you couldn't get it.

But yeah, Japanese (i.e. the writing, not just romaji) is allowed, but I don't think you're allowed to abuse the privileged.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 15:22   Link #5
monster

This is the only mention of English usage that I found in the rules:
Quote:
Since this is an English forum we ask that all communication be in English. Ideally this means using proper English, with appropriate punctuation and capitalization, at all times. Excessive abbreviations and "l33t speak" are particularly unwelcome. We appreciate that English is not the first language of many of our members but ask that they try their best never-the-less; though in fairness, it is the native English speakers who abuse these guidelines most often.
There doesn't seem to be any exception made for Japanese.

That said, if you're referencing non-English materials or if you're pointing out non-English terms, as long as you translate them, then it should be fine.

But posting in Japanese just for the sake of it should not fall under that "exception."
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 15:34   Link #6
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

This is an english forum and all messages between members must be posted in english. It is true however, that some threads will naturally have lots of japanese in it, but this is more related to the topic and nature of each particular thread and not something that's being overlooked. Regardless of thread and topic, the staff will reserve the right to decide when too much is too much and we will either make a post in thread or contact those involved directly asking them to stop.

Quote:
But yeah, Japanese (i.e. the writing, not just romaji) is allowed, but I don't think you're allowed to abuse the privileged.
Making full posts in japanese (or any other language) in any forum thread is simply not allowed and any member caught trying to do this will receive a warning for it.

*For a while now, people have been allowed to use other languages while posting in profiles, but this is not something that we wish to encourage, and something that could also change and no longer be allowed at any point in the future.
Old 2013-02-03, 17:08   Link #7
Kudryavka

No, I will not make posts completely in other languages. Only once I did a translation of my post and it got removed and I understand what I did wrong now since it could have caused a Spanish conversation, but I'm not referring to that with my question.

But, so is Japanese only okay in small tidbits? I'd just like a confirmation on that.
Old 2013-02-03, 17:10   Link #8
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Are other language comments not allowed here?
Probably in the social groups. We speak in mixed Filipino and English there since the members are all Filipinos..... Using another language other than English will likely end having 80% of the people here just ignoring your post...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-03, 19:47   Link #9
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
No, I will not make posts completely in other languages. Only once I did a translation of my post and it got removed and I understand what I did wrong now since it could have caused a Spanish conversation, but I'm not referring to that with my question.

But, so is Japanese only okay in small tidbits? I'd just like a confirmation on that.
Posts entirely in another language, if not made intentionally for the topic (like a request for translation), are not allowed. Unfortunately we don't have very good Universal Translators yet, and our Babel Fish are still in the experimental stage.

Comments that frequently use non-English with the intent of carrying on two conversations (one with one language speaker, one with another), or those which attempt to use non-English as an attempt to circumvent Forum Rules to attack another member are also not allowed.

So basically, save us all a headache and use English unless you absolutely need to use another language.

A side note about VM's and Social Groups, btw. While we don't really discourage it, we don't encourage it either. Unlike forum discussion, use of foreign language in those areas is not as harmful to general discussion. However, we reserve the right to intervene if we feel things have become untenable.
Old 2013-02-03, 19:52   Link #10
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Posts entirely in another language, if not made intentionally for the topic (like a request for translation), are not allowed. Unfortunately we don't have very good Universal Translators yet, and our Babel Fish are still in the experimental stage.

Comments that frequently use non-English with the intent of carrying on two conversations (one with one language speaker, one with another), or those which attempt to use non-English as an attempt to circumvent Forum Rules to attack another member are also not allowed.

So basically, save us all a headache and use English unless you absolutely need to use another language.

A side note about VM's and Social Groups, btw. While we don't really discourage it, we don't encourage it either. Unlike forum discussion, use of foreign language in those areas is not as harmful to general discussion. However, we reserve the right to intervene if we feel things have become untenable.
Ok. All languages are under this rule. Of course not counting Japanese in anime titles or stuff like that.

Thanks all!
Old 2013-02-08, 21:13   Link #11
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Is it okay to use idioms or quotes from other languages? EG:

This show has a certain je ne sais quoi.

Sieg Kaiser Rheinhard!

Dulce et Decorum Este Pro Patria Mori.

What of slang? Like:
That website is currently banjaxed.

I was absolutely knackered after I finished climbing that mountain.

And how about nonsense:
Twas bryllyg, and ye slythy toves
Did gyre and gymble in ye wabe

I'm curious as to the limits of the rule.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 21:44   Link #12
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Nonsense is certainly not allowed and our rules specifically mentions this:

Quote:
Since this is an English forum we ask that all communication be in English. Ideally this means using proper English, with appropriate punctuation and capitalization, at all times. Excessive abbreviations and "l33t speak" are particularly unwelcome. We appreciate that English is not the first language of many of our members but ask that they try their best never-the-less; though in fairness, it is the native English speakers who abuse these guidelines most often.
For all the others, it really depends on how clear the message in your post is. If everything in your comments is slang and foreign quotes, then we will likely ask you to be more clear and write everything in english instead.
Old 2013-02-09, 17:30   Link #13
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Heck, I've gotten onto people for using "txt speek". This is a forum, not an SMS message or chat room. Nothing stops one from being creative in their writing style but the purpose of posting is to *communicate*
Old 2013-02-09, 17:32   Link #14
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Heck, I've gotten onto people for using "txt speek". This is a forum, not an SMS message or chat room. Nothing stops one from being creative in their writing style but the purpose of posting is to *communicate*
tru dat vexx. Let's speak clear.
Old 2013-02-10, 02:12   Link #15
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well, maybe they're typing from some kind of a feature phone that don't have a full keyboard but has a browser?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote