AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2014-02-11, 02:39   Link #1
mialimos
Suzaku No Miko

Post Your Basic HTML and CSS problems here... I'll try to help :)

Hi! I would like to offer some help related to HTML and CSS. If anyone here who is planning to develop a website of their own about animes.

Post your questions, concerns, problems and comments I will try my best to help you out.
mialimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 15:47   Link #2
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

To be honest, unless you're offering to help with backend server setups, I feel people won't really need help specifically only with HTML and CSS. Buying a server to even host it will either come with a simple dynamic website creator that does all of the coding, or they know how to handle the code themselves.

Perhaps you know ActionScript, JavaScript/jQuery, PHP, Drupal, or the previously mentioned server setup? That's more along the lines of what people would struggle with.

Don't mean any negativity from this, sorry. I just think with how even Dreamweaver could tell you all (okay, maybe not all) of the available tags, it'd be a hard area to generate questions from.

Do think it's cool you're offering to help people with stuff like coding though. Hope you get some hits and get a few really simple sites started.
Old 2014-02-11, 20:24   Link #3
mialimos
Suzaku No Miko

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
To be honest, unless you're offering to help with backend server setups, I feel people won't really need help specifically only with HTML and CSS. Buying a server to even host it will either come with a simple dynamic website creator that does all of the coding, or they know how to handle the code themselves.

Perhaps you know ActionScript, JavaScript/jQuery, PHP, Drupal, or the previously mentioned server setup? That's more along the lines of what people would struggle with.

Don't mean any negativity from this, sorry. I just think with how even Dreamweaver could tell you all (okay, maybe not all) of the available tags, it'd be a hard area to generate questions from.

Do think it's cool you're offering to help people with stuff like coding though. Hope you get some hits and get a few really simple sites started.
hi! thank you for posting in here. although people are familiar with html and css, but not all topics in two web development languages are very much discussed in most tutorials.(eg: negative margins in css, browser issues etc.) i am not recommending the frequent use of dreamweaver either.it may help the user to make the task easier but would not help them in learning the language deeply. i am pertaining to help people who preferred to write their codes from scratch or by text editors. or people who doesnt have an idea about web designing at all.
Old 2014-02-11, 20:30   Link #4
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Where were you 5 months ago? lol :P
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-11, 20:46   Link #5
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mialimos View Post
hi! thank you for posting in here. although people are familiar with html and css, but not all topics in two web development languages are very much discussed in most tutorials.(eg: negative margins in css, browser issues etc.) i am not recommending the frequent use of dreamweaver either.it may help the user to make the task easier but would not help them in learning the language deeply. i am pertaining to help people who preferred to write their codes from scratch or by text editors. or people who doesnt have an idea about web designing at all.
Major tweaking is nice with other text editors, but with Adobe's new integration of Edge Code and its other suite assets, Dreamweaver links directly to it. If you just use it as a text editor in itself, Dreamweaver is fine.

It's more of a "computer science" approach to a "designer" approach. Notepad++ and other programs do a good job of highlighting brackets and all that, but there really are simplistic setups that make dynamic linking between stylesheets and other documents easier in Dreamweaver. You can save a LOT of coding time with Dreamweaver's shortcuts, like the ability to make closing tags as you open them.

Bottom line (and I'm not trying to disapprove your offer to help people) is that people who know to code on a text editor and strictly adhere to that concept will know HTML and CSS. Those who don't will put up an HTML page and get stuck getting it onto a server. Unless it's assisting for all of the backending or just helping people make a site that will run localhost, I'm not sure how it will run.
Old 2014-02-11, 22:31   Link #6
mialimos
Suzaku No Miko

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Where were you 5 months ago? lol :P
aww...sorry for being late.anyway, i am all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Major tweaking is nice with other text editors, but with Adobe's new integration of Edge Code and its other suite assets, Dreamweaver links directly to it. If you just use it as a text editor in itself, Dreamweaver is fine.

It's more of a "computer science" approach to a "designer" approach. Notepad++ and other programs do a good job of highlighting brackets and all that, but there really are simplistic setups that make dynamic linking between stylesheets and other documents easier in Dreamweaver. You can save a LOT of coding time with Dreamweaver's shortcuts, like the ability to make closing tags as you open them.

Bottom line (and I'm not trying to disapprove your offer to help people) is that people who know to code on a text editor and strictly adhere to that concept will know HTML and CSS. Those who don't will put up an HTML page and get stuck getting it onto a server. Unless it's assisting for all of the backending or just helping people make a site that will run localhost, I'm not sure how it will run.

hi again. i agree, dreamweaver can make things easy, but like what ive said, it wont help the programmer to understand codes deeper. what about those people who dont have adobe dreamweaver and all they have is just notepad?

by the way, i learned html and css without adobe applications with just notepad.

server sides scripting and programming help, i might consider that someday. but for now, i am all about the basics. thanks anyway
Old 2014-02-11, 22:38   Link #7
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Everyone learns coding the same way, but I agree that getting comfortable using the auto inserts on Dreamweaver will create bad practices. That said, people who are brand new to coding won't even know what to do with said tags anyways, so they'll learn exactly the same as they did on Notepad.

I happened to have the Adobe suite so I used Dreamweaver. It colour codes everything better and has a ton of programmable shortcuts. These aren't bad code, they just skip a few steps that aren't needed, like automatically making a closing tag or being able to browse to an src using a popup. If someone was taking the stupidly easy way out and using Muse however, then I'd be concerned for their code.

But yeah, either way works. It all goes about how you learn it, and all of my programming friends used Dreamweaver without the dialog boxes. If you're actually in it to program (and I don't see why you'd use the program if not), then the inserts don't even appeal to you, at least from what we've experienced.

Keep on rockin' though, you could save a ton of headaches jumping into server sides and more complex languages. It's definitely a field that intro people really want to learn but don't know where to start.
Old 2014-02-12, 20:01   Link #8
spikexp

I don't see the problem with helping for HTML and CSS...
I am a system administrator and a programmer, but HTML and CSS are not my strong point. There are so many small trick and thing with HTML and CSS that can cause problem. For example, do you know the on chrome, you cannot make select with size 2 or 3? It would default to 4 minimum.
Or the usefulness of box-sizing?
Or how to make 2 columns the same height for a sidebar+main layout?

Of course most answer can be found with a little search, most will be on stackoverflow, but it can still be useful here.

Also, I don't consider HTML and CSS as programming. Both are language, but they lack programming.

As for utility (editor), there are so many, but you need to be able to do it manually in notepad to really understand it. When you know what you are doing, you can try with Emmet with sublime text for quick snippet. You can then make a full layout with a single snippet line.

Still, good luck with helping people, it is a great way to learn.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-15, 00:40   Link #9
mialimos
Suzaku No Miko

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
I don't see the problem with helping for HTML and CSS...
I am a system administrator and a programmer, but HTML and CSS are not my strong point. There are so many small trick and thing with HTML and CSS that can cause problem. For example, do you know the on chrome, you cannot make select with size 2 or 3? It would default to 4 minimum.
Or the usefulness of box-sizing?
Or how to make 2 columns the same height for a sidebar+main layout?

Of course most answer can be found with a little search, most will be on stackoverflow, but it can still be useful here.

Also, I don't consider HTML and CSS as programming. Both are language, but they lack programming.

As for utility (editor), there are so many, but you need to be able to do it manually in notepad to really understand it. When you know what you are doing, you can try with Emmet with sublime text for quick snippet. You can then make a full layout with a single snippet line.

Thank you so much for the encouragement

~

and as for students and aspiring html /css developers, i am ready to take some questions
Old 2014-02-18, 23:08   Link #10
GundamZZ
残念美人

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post

I consider HTML as programming. So, we have the different perspectives. Mozilla hs the beta version of Firefox OS. You have to use HTML5 to develop the App. Also, the constant update of JVM is bothering users. So, some company used HTML5 to rewrite their website's application.

I used to use notepad, but I found it troublesome. So, I used to notepad++ and Firefox as Windows text editors. On Linux, my favoirite text editor is Nano. I have the worst experience with vi. I often have trouble to update lines of codes.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 07:45   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
On Linux, my favoirite text editor is Nano. I have the worst experience with vi. I often have trouble to update lines of codes.
I grew up with Emacs. For years I've used jed, a lightweight Emacs clone by John E. Davis. I know all the obscure Control-key sequences by now, though there is a convenient menu accessible via F10.

Not all distributions carry jed as part of their basic package. In Ubuntu I have to install it separately and on others I will compile it from source. I find nano too clunky to use for complex editing tasks. (For example, Ctrl-K deletes an entire line of text, not just the text from the cursor to the end of the line as is the standard like in the Bash shell.) I think the graphical editors, GNOME's gedit and KDE's kate, are also both pretty decent. However I spend most of my time working on remote servers, so I use jed over an SSH connection.

Nano, by the way, was invented at the University of Washington as the editor for its Pine (now alpine) text-based email client. I used that back in the days (1995-96) before Netscape/Thunderbird as well. I still use it today as a mail administrator.

Most people do not consider HTML programming because it includes none of the important primitives like loops, functions, and the like. As the name says, it is a "markup language."
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-23, 14:33   Link #12
Domonkazu

or you can try vs2013 with web essential, they got intellisense like for everything even for Javascript (angular is not supported yet as far as I know) like knockout.js
pure html is simple.
Domonkazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-28, 09:47   Link #13
Reverzer0
Sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by mialimos View Post
i am pertaining to help people who preferred to write their codes from scratch or by text editors. or people who doesnt have an idea about web designing at all.
this is the point, nice thread", codes from the scratch + art from the scratch = how persistent you are",
Old 2014-03-03, 22:58   Link #14
mialimos
Suzaku No Miko

Any more questions, comments and suggestions? lols
Old 2014-03-04, 08:46   Link #15
Reverzer0
Sleeping

i want to suggest java script for downloading youtube videos compatible with any browsers and html 5 for explosion effects with video effects in every particles when i point my cursor into embedded video", i almost forgot everything about these things while im enjoying in arts",