AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2009-08-26, 04:32   Link #21
RaptorZX3

i tried using AVIdemux but it strangely removes my subtitles...
Old 2009-08-26, 04:51   Link #22
RaptorZX3

when i tried extracting the FLAC file with your software, it said "MKExtract cannot extract this kind of file..."

also tried with AVIdemux, it didn't worked...
Old 2009-08-26, 05:10   Link #23
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

see this post: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...6&postcount=31
and replace the commandline with
Code:
ffmpeg -i "my animu episode with flac.mkv" -vcodec copy -acodec ac3 -scodec copy -ab 640k "my animu episode with ac3.mkv"
that will magically reencode the audio to ac3 while keeping the video and subtitles intact

e: get a media pc
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2009-08-26, 05:41   Link #24
RaptorZX3

your command line doesn't work, i moved the file to the FFMPEG folder, shortened the file name, used another name for the converted file while keeping the .mkv at the end...nope, it doesn't work.

i tried the Avanti GUI, it gives me so many errors and unable to continue...

Last edited by RaptorZX3; 2009-08-26 at 05:58.
Old 2009-08-26, 05:53   Link #25
TheFluff

hmm yes I can magically tell exactly what is wrong when you say "it doesn't work", I am telepathic after all

(most likely you're just doing it wrong, but at least tell me what error message you're getting so I can tell you what's failing)
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2009-08-26, 06:07   Link #26
RaptorZX3

here's the log from trying to convert:

Quote:
FFmpeg messages/warnings:

Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate:
... 47.95 (48000/1001) -> 23.98 (24000/1001)

[ac3 @ 0x185c010]
... No channel layout specified. The encoder will guess the layout, but it might be incorrect.

Unsupported codec for output stream #0.2

7:06:02 - Process canceled by FFmpeg with messages/warnings.
YES i did changed the FPS to 23.98 to force it to use this framerate, but it's no use, it's still doing this error message!

is it just me, or it seem like FLAC files are very "audio editing software-unfriendly"?
Old 2009-08-26, 07:20   Link #27
TheFluff

haha whoops it looks like ffmpeg doesn't actually have a flac decoder

stick with mkvextract then, it does support extracting flac, but the gui might not want to cooperate so use the commandline

Old 2009-08-26, 07:24   Link #28
RaptorZX3

so i might have to do it manually? what's the full command line to extract a FLAC file from a MKV container with this software?
Old 2009-08-26, 07:31   Link #29
TheFluff

Code:
mkvextract tracks "myinputfile.mkv" TRACKNUMBER:output.flac
where TRACKNUMBER is the track number of the track you want to extract; you can find this out by running
Code:
mkvmerge --identify "myinputfile.mkv"
all of this will give you a .flac file; now use the flac reference software to get a PCM WAV, then whatever ac3 encoder you want to encode it to ac3, then mux it back into the original mkv file using mkvmerge gui

Old 2009-08-26, 07:48   Link #30
RaptorZX3

wow...Audacity won't even open the file properly so i can't convert it...

why all this screwing around? i really hope they will put FLAC compatibility soon, because all that stupid stuff is making me crazy, command lines and stuff...it makes me feel like i went back to the DOS era, and it was such a pain in the ass to type long command lines again and again...why didn't they updated their GUI to work with the new software features?

see how unfriendly FLAC audio files are with audio-editing softwares? it's crazy...
Old 2009-08-26, 08:18   Link #31
Blanchimont

At least my mkvextract (gui, mkvmerge 2.1.0) extracts it. Or rather, it does first give a warning it can't extracts scuh files, yet continues extracting it in the background...

Gives a file with .ext extension, which changed to .flac works ok in mkvplayer, mpc, mediainfo, vlc, but strangely refuses to work at all in Foobar, giving a 'unsupported/corrupt' error... (Some osts I have as flac do work, so what's different for foobar with this?...)

So it can be extracted, but what's the commandline syntax that would make mkvmerge remux it? Just incase I ever need to mux those...

Could also be that a commandline extraction could give a bit Foobar-friendlier .flac?....
Old 2009-08-26, 08:33   Link #32
emptyeighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanchimont View Post
So it can be extracted, but what's the commandline syntax that would make mkvmerge remux it? Just incase I ever need to mux those...
Not sure how the commandline works exactly (should be trivial though, just run mkvmerge.exe for help), but actually give mkvmergegui a try. It comes with mkvtoolnix and is quite well made.
Quote:
Could also be that a commandline extraction could give a bit Foobar-friendlier .flac?....
I don't think so, but you can always try.
Old 2009-08-26, 09:21   Link #33
speck123

Try this:

Code:
ffmpeg -i "videofile.mkv" -acodec ac3 -ab 384k out.ac3
Old 2009-08-26, 10:22   Link #34
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck123 View Post
Try this:

Code:
ffmpeg -i "videofile.mkv" -acodec ac3 -ab 384k out.ac3
nice try but I already suggested that a few posts up, unfortunately it doesn't work because ffmpeg doesn't have a flac decoder...

e: of course, if you meant wav instead of mkv then yeah sure it'll work just fine and is identical to my suggestion below

RaptorZX3: why would you want to open it in audacity?
Code:
ffmpeg -i "blah.wav" -acodec ac3 -ab 640k "output.ac3"
should work just fine...

Old 2009-08-26, 14:00   Link #35
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorZX3 View Post

why all this screwing around? i really hope they will put FLAC compatibility soon, because all that stupid stuff is making me crazy, command lines and stuff...it makes me feel like i went back to the DOS era, and it was such a pain in the ass to type long command lines again and again...why didn't they updated their GUI to work with the new software features?
So, did you manage to convert the Flac file anyway? If you didn't...

1) Go here and download EAC3toGUI.

2) Extract the content of the zip file in a folder of your choice, click on EAC3toGUI.exe, load your flac file (which you already extracted from the MKV with MKVextract)

3) Click "Covert". The file target is set as ac3 by default.

4) Go to the folder you put MKVextract in, and click on "mmg.exe" (it's a GUI, so you'll like it).

5) Load your original MKV file into MKVmerge (mmg.exe)

6) You'll see all the tracks (video, audio, subs), deselect the audio track, load your new audio track (in the same way you loaded the mkv file), set the path and name of your new mkv file (at the bottom of the windows), and click "start muxing".

That should do the trick. If you actually didn't extract the flac audio from the mkv file yet, then do this first (before all the above):

Quote:
mkvextract.exe tracks "X:\path\file.mkv" --no-ogg 2:"X:\path\file.flac"
Replace "2" with the track number of your flac audio if needed.

Remember you need to navigate to the folder you put mkvextract in, using "X:" (where X is the partition mkvextract is in) and "cd\path\" (where \path\ is the path to the folder mkvextract is in).

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2009-08-26 at 14:48.
Old 2009-08-26, 14:12   Link #36
speck123

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
nice try but I already suggested that a few posts up, unfortunately it doesn't work because ffmpeg doesn't have a flac decoder...

e: of course, if you meant wav instead of mkv then yeah sure it'll work just fine and is identical to my suggestion below

RaptorZX3: why would you want to open it in audacity?
Code:
ffmpeg -i "blah.wav" -acodec ac3 -ab 640k "output.ac3"
should work just fine...
I tried it using Chihiro's BD K-On sub, since that was all I had with FLAC audio. Initially, the audio was extracted to a WAV file, and then decided to give the AC3 encoder a try. It worked for me, which is why I suggested he try it.

EDIT: I just tested it on a file I ripped from an audio CD and I can tell you that at least the version of FFMpeg I am using has FLAC audio support.

Try typing this in to find out if FFMpeg will support FLAC:

Code:
ffmpeg -formats
You should get a large text dump on the console. Look for this line for FLAC:

Code:
DEA    flac            FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)
"DE" should mean support for both decoding and encoding of the codec.
Old 2009-08-26, 14:20   Link #37
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorZX3 View Post

see how unfriendly FLAC audio files are with audio-editing softwares? it's crazy...
I can open FLAC with all of my audio-editing software, including Audacity.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=FLAC
Old 2009-08-26, 14:26   Link #38
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
I can open FLAC with all of my audio-editing software, including Audacity.

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=FLAC
He might have extracted the wrong track from the mkv, or doesn't have the latest Audacity. Regardless, I already posted detailed instructions on how to extract, re-encode and remux the correct track for him, so he shouldn't have any problems now.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2009-08-26 at 16:46.
Old 2009-08-26, 15:40   Link #39
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck123 View Post
I tried it using Chihiro's BD K-On sub, since that was all I had with FLAC audio. Initially, the audio was extracted to a WAV file, and then decided to give the AC3 encoder a try. It worked for me, which is why I suggested he try it.
yeah looks like I was wrong there, it does have a flac decoder but no ac3 encoder, which means my other ffmpeg idea won't work either

Old 2009-08-26, 19:36   Link #40
speck123

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
yeah looks like I was wrong there, it does have a flac decoder but no ac3 encoder, which means my other ffmpeg idea won't work either
On the contrary, ffmpeg does have an ac3 encoder. Been using it for encoding DVD's for years now.

It's been some time since I tried to mux an mkv file using ffmpeg, and I gave up and used mkvmergegui instead. I never really researched the cause of it, though, at the time I suspected that VFR video was the cause of it.