AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2011-06-04, 02:46   Link #221
Shikabane_Hime
108 Shikabane to destroy

Gundam Wing is like Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon, you ask a 90's kid what anime originally got them interested and they will most likely say of the three. Then we go back and watch them years later and realize that they aren't really very good compared to the newer shows. But no matter what people remain fans of their first anime. Besides Gundam Wing was really good for it's time. Yes it had it's plot holes, stock animation that was used over and over, and more than it's fair share of redundant statements ("It's a Gundam!" Or "We're under attack!"). But it really wasn't that bad. I have actually recently rewatched episodes 1-18 and I still love it, maybe because. As an adult I can look at it and see more than pretty male characters. Now I can actually understand the plot itself. Though I still dislike Relena, I probably never will like her. But I can really, honestly see her importance in the show now, instead of just seeing a crazy stalker chick.
Old 2011-06-04, 03:12   Link #222
SABER60069

Not true, I recently rewatched Gundam Wing and I still liked it just as much as before if not more
SABER60069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-04, 07:23   Link #223
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

Quote:
Then we go back and watch them years later and realize that they aren't really very good compared to the newer shows
Ehmm.. no! Dragonball is still a gazillion times better than Naruto or Bleach or any other shonen today. (with the exception of Beelzebub)
Old 2011-07-01, 00:20   Link #224
Arathne

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkuzeMinna View Post
It still makes one wonder where Trowa got that mask...
I've always thought it was Trowa being a bit of a smartass for the final battle.

He's shown to have a slightly warped sense of humor a couple times throughout the series--laughing at Heero's 'hurts like hell' bit, bowing to the soldiers chasing him in episode 47 after he flips, bounces off the ceiling and lands all the way on the other side of a room, etc.

So, to me? This is a sort of humorous, yet biting commentary on his part. Keep up with me here, this is going to take a bit of following the logic train:

In Endless Waltz's Trowa flashbacks, when Heavyarms first belonged to someone else, we don't see the mask on Heavyarms' face. We only see it on Heavyarms when the Trowa WE know is piloting it.

Pay attention to the coloring of his suit's redesign. Blue-green top half, light greyish-white bottom half. Now look at the outfit he wears for most of the series. EW Heavyarms just flat-out looks like Trowa.

Next question: what is Heavyarms? It's an empty tool of war, and no more than that. How did Trowa spend his entire main-series run viewing himself? As an empty tool of war, and no more than that. The suit is, in a sense, mimicking its pilot. It even copies what Trowa can physically do--Heavyarms is fully capable of replicating that crazy trademark flip of his!

Trowa happens to spend his spare time being a clown at a circus. With so many other things crossed over between himself and his suit, it would make a horrible sort of sense that the suit should wear his clown mask, too. It not only completes the visual connection, which is the obvious part, but is a bit of a hidden self-commentary on who/what he is, too.

As for where he was keeping it this whole time? Look, if he can have missiles packed in every available cavity or flap of his suit's body, he can stash it in a slot somewhere. XD
Arathne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-01, 11:23   Link #225
Araxiel

With access to regular Mobile Suit repair facilities, I'm sure any man could hammer a spare piece of sheet metal into place and spray half a clown face on it for the express purpose of freaking the hell out of everyone and giving all children within miles fresh new clown phobias.

Quote:
Top left has to be the best Heeroface ever.
Old 2011-07-01, 16:55   Link #226
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
Ehmm.. no! Dragonball is still a gazillion times better than Naruto or Bleach or any other shonen today. (with the exception of Beelzebub)
Completely agreed. Dragonball is a classic. And as all classics, it's awesome. Hence why it's a classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arathne View Post
He's shown to have a slightly warped sense of humor a couple times throughout the series--laughing at Heero's 'hurts like hell' bit, bowing to the soldiers chasing him in episode 47 after he flips, bounces off the ceiling and lands all the way on the other side of a room, etc.
While the first thing you say is definitely part of his sense of humor, I think the bowing to the soldiers has got more to do with his slightly sarcastic and arrogant nature. Seriously, whenever he closes his eyes, dips his head and lets his hair fall on his face he says something snarky. Like when Catherine asks him why he didn't dodge the knife and he replies he's not paid to do so or when Zechs greets Heero in Antarctica and he remarks if they're supposed to shake hands now. Nvm him permanently getting under Nichol's skin.

Quote:
So, to me? This is a sort of humorous, yet biting commentary on his part. Keep up with me here, this is going to take a bit of following the logic train:

In Endless Waltz's Trowa flashbacks, when Heavyarms first belonged to someone else, we don't see the mask on Heavyarms' face. We only see it on Heavyarms when the Trowa WE know is piloting it.

Pay attention to the coloring of his suit's redesign. Blue-green top half, light greyish-white bottom half. Now look at the outfit he wears for most of the series. EW Heavyarms just flat-out looks like Trowa.
Huh, never noticed that. It really does look like Trowa.

Quote:
Trowa happens to spend his spare time being a clown at a circus. With so many other things crossed over between himself and his suit, it would make a horrible sort of sense that the suit should wear his clown mask, too. It not only completes the visual connection, which is the obvious part, but is a bit of a hidden self-commentary on who/what he is, too.

As for where he was keeping it this whole time? Look, if he can have missiles packed in every available cavity or flap of his suit's body, he can stash it in a slot somewhere. XD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araxiel View Post
With access to regular Mobile Suit repair facilities, I'm sure any man could hammer a spare piece of sheet metal into place and spray half a clown face on it for the express purpose of freaking the hell out of everyone and giving all children within miles fresh new clown phobias.
Of course! That's how he got so buff! xD
Kidding aside, Trowa always had a habit of decorating his Mobile Suits with clown motives. Here's a page from his Episode Zero. If you look at his Leo's shoulders, you'll notice there are clown faces painted on it.

The captain had skulls on his Leo, by the way. Sorry Captain, but as far as scaring your opponents shitless goes, Trowa is leagues above ya.
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-09, 02:33   Link #227
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Why ?

- The political maneuver happens is simple and quite easy to understand.
- Even though the Gundam(s) is a special MS it's still could be defeated by normal MS.
- Even a Wing Zero Custom is destroyed because some parts are missing from it's frame.
- There's an Ace that makes an old-type MS like Tallgeese can even fight in a par with a Gundam.
- All of the Gundam pilots in Wing is not a normal human, they pretend to be a normal human

- Wing-Z Custom and Deathscythe-H Custom is too cool, even better than 0-Quanta in my eyes
Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-09, 11:22   Link #228
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
Why ?

- The political maneuver happens is simple and quite easy to understand.
- Even though the Gundam(s) is a special MS it's still could be defeated by normal MS.
- Even a Wing Zero Custom is destroyed because some parts are missing from it's frame.
- There's an Ace that makes an old-type MS like Tallgeese can even fight in a par with a Gundam.
- All of the Gundam pilots in Wing is not a normal human, they pretend to be a normal human

- Wing-Z Custom and Deathscythe-H Custom is too cool, even better than 0-Quanta in my eyes
... no. No they could not.
Old 2011-07-09, 11:56   Link #229
duotiga
Zander Yuusha Kyorugold

Send a message via ICQ to duotiga Send a message via MSN to duotiga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Spoiler:

Last edited by duotiga; 2011-07-09 at 12:06.
duotiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-09, 12:04   Link #230
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by duotiga View Post
Spoiler:
Aries? Do you mean Taurus?

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-09, 12:06   Link #231
duotiga
Zander Yuusha Kyorugold

Send a message via ICQ to duotiga Send a message via MSN to duotiga
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Aries? Do you mean Taurus?
yea taurus...bad memory....got mix up
duotiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-09, 12:19   Link #232
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by duotiga View Post
yea taurus...bad memory....got mix up
Lol. But that was one of the few times where Oz actually had proper weapons needed to blow up gundams

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-09, 13:10   Link #233
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Yet the mobile dolls beating the shit out of the Deathscythe and Shenlong was more like it was needed for plot advancement more than anything else. For the majority of Gundam Wing, the Gundams were practically invincible, and they rarely ever acted like they were in trouble. Combine that with how easily the Gundams wiped out their opposition...

The only time the Gundams and their pilots felt they were really in trouble was when they went up against one-off machines like the Tallgeese, Vayeate, and Mercurius, and hell, does anyone remember the Tallgeese ever doing actual, visible damage to a Gundam? I sure as hell don't.

Ultimately, it wasn't like in Gundam 00's second season against the GN-XIIIs and Aheads, or (as I'm sure many a UC fan could attest to) like it was in various UC shows where a regular mobile suit was strong as, if not superior, to whatever Gundam there was in the show.

Don't get me wrong, Gundam Wing was my first Gundam show as well and I still love it, but that doesn't mean I'm blind to its faults.
Old 2011-07-10, 10:42   Link #234
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
What I'm trying to say is something like :

I'm really happy when Deathscythe's beam scythe run out of energy--
As well as when Heavy Arms run out of bullets.

Which means-- it's not impossible to defeat them.
The only requirement is to be smart, patience, and as well as needed a great deal in combat ability ( Zechs for an example )

Compare it to something called Strike Freedom or 0-QanT.
From what i saw, all Gundams in Wing looks like a mass destructive weapon, but the fact is when they're trying to be the mass destructive weapon as they can, it's also the time they're showing their weakness also.
Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-10, 16:29   Link #235
Tobi_Uchiha
Tobi is a Good Boy!

why do i like Gundam Wing?

because it was the very first show from the franchize I ever watched when it was broadcasted on Toonami back in the UK which was more than 10 years ago and I LOVED it for it's elements which included drama, action, mecha, suspense and the all time awsome Gundams. also that I am a long time Heero Relena fan :3

Every dog has it's day...
Tobi_Uchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-11, 08:48   Link #236
Shikabane_Hime
108 Shikabane to destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaito-kid View Post
I should clarify something here. I don't mean that the storyline is better. I meant that the artwork styles, translation, editing (no more editing shows to death in order to force them on little kids who are to young to even understand the real plotline), and (in some cases) voice acting. Naruto gives me headaches and Bleach is too long and over played (same story arch shown 6 times!). Ronan Warriors is a good example of what I mean. Awesome storyline, horrible editing (pointlessly changing names around.), lame lines, and not so good voice acting. It happens though.

Also, to those who may be interested: I have created a Gundam Wing RP member group. I am also up for one-on-one rps. If you are interested please contact me.

Last edited by Shikabane_Hime; 2011-07-12 at 01:11. Reason: Adding something
Shikabane_Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 01:19   Link #237
odin_lowe_jr

I've first seen Gundam Wing aired wayback in 1998[10yrs old at my time] in philippines, it was dubbed by our own language, then afterwards, Gundam G and Gundam X aired also during 1999 and 2001 in philippines.

Then in 2002, i've seen it again in Toonami[Cartoon Network dubbed in english]

The Storyline of Gundam Wing is very meaningful, all of the characters have their own personal battles, eliminate only the threats, and to maintain peace between earth and the colonies.

Also, the Design of the Mobile Suits of GW are simple. but each of every Mobile Suits in GW has a important roles and stories.

That's why the Gunpla models of the GW is become rare in philippines [NG 1/144, HG 1/100 models, 1/60 HG Wing Zero and 1/60DX wing gundam]. and it counts and waited over the years, and thanks to Bandai, they release the MG grades of GW models for almost 16yrs!!

Because the collectors here doesn't mind what is the design, the important is the Story of each Gunpla, they collected.

Gundam G and Gundam X are also a good episodes and stories, but if you analyzed the story very well, GW will be the most simpler but meaningful.

I want to watch also the Older Series of Gundams but due to some restrictions in web, i can't watch..

Was Gundam Wing my first Anime that i've ever watched?! NO!!!

Voltes V is my first Anime Series that i've watched, and really appreciated for that story.

Dragonball Z, Lupin III, Trigun, Yu Yu hakusho[Ghost-fighter] -- Best stories and awesome characters.

In my Personal opinion, Anime worked in hand drawing in good old times, you feel the natural "Art" and the appreciation of each drawing, and stories created. very meaningful!!
odin_lowe_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 02:48   Link #238
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
What I love about Gundam Wing is on how they portrait a gundam.... I mean "What a Gundam should be".

Example, when the enemies first encountered the gundams, they look at them as a threat, an unbeatable foe where they have to spent numerous mobile units and the best pilots to get equal with the gundams which were only 5 units, against the thousands of Earth.

I feel the adrenaline rush when I see the Gundams cause destruction to their enemies.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-13, 19:03   Link #239
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

I'd say just because it was the first series i ever watched that got me into the whole franchise. It's a big nostalgic feeling.
Old 2011-07-15, 10:30   Link #240
rakusukira

because it amuses me how Relena just can't stop chasing Heero..

and when she stops chasing Heero, he begins to chase after her..

love the designs to. this is the first G-series I've watched but not my fav. I just love how the characters interact
rakusukira is offline   Reply With Quote