AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-12-14, 11:49   Link #661
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

^ Actually, if you're talking about Hiroshima and Osaka, it's like comparing Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. Osaka may seen more expensive on first sight, but if you do your homework, it CAN actually be more affordable (and usually is!) than Hiroshima.

This is because Osaka has its city area (Umeda, Shinsaibashi, the west edge essentially if looking at it from the Osaka Subway map, which is a lifesaver for your wallet, especially if you use the right value passes) and the suburbs towards the direction of Kyoto (North) and Nara (East).

There's a chance that your college facility would be nearer the east side of Osaka since that's where the Education Town of Nara prefecture is, bordering Osaka. Or it could be in Haruhiland, in Nishinomiya (Kwansei University).

These happen to be much more affordable districts than Hiroshima, really, seeing as the WHOLE CITY is a tourist attraction (the city is fully UNESCO protected), thus it's actually more towards the living cost of Tokyo. But the region immediately outside is almost rural, which is a problem.

The nearest large city is quite a distance away too (effectively, Kobe, or Okayama if you can put up with a smaller selection) so weekend shopping is also impossible. Just a thought.

Last edited by ZephyrLeanne; 2009-12-14 at 20:58.
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 12:16   Link #662
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Osaka's most academically rigorous of the three, and I get to live with a host family. However, I'm worried that living costs in the metropolis would be a lot higher than in the more rural cities of Japan. :/
Hmm... my friend's younger brother studied at Osaka University (if I remember correctly) on a government scholarship several years ago. In fact, I bunked in at his apartment back in 2002, during my first visit to Japan. In my opinion, Osaka's people are warmer, friendlier than those in Tokyo, and the city has a buzz that's entirely it's own. Brasher and more genuine, is how I'd describe it.

(Incidentally, my friend's brother shared his apartment with a sweet, pretty girl from Fukuoka. They were still dating at the time, but are now married and happily settled in Singapore.)

If I have the opportunity, I'll ask him for advice about making the most out of living and studying in Osaka.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-14, 21:09   Link #663
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Hmm... my friend's younger brother studied at Osaka University (if I remember correctly) on a government scholarship several years ago. In fact, I bunked in at his apartment back in 2002, during my first visit to Japan. In my opinion, Osaka's people are warmer, friendlier than those in Tokyo, and the city has a buzz that's entirely it's own. Brasher and more genuine, is how I'd describe it.
It's kinda like Manila, and that's the environment.

But remember, this is like comparing Singapore to the Philippines. Not very fair, is it!

I mean, Tokyo people, being the people of the capital, are the busiest in the world, and Osaka people just recovered from the Kobe earthquake in 1992. Their brashness is partially a defense mechanism and also a Kansai thing, as most people there are either brought to Japan by force in WWII or former buraukumin.

Thus, there's a saying in just about the rest of Japan that Kansai people aren't Japanese at all. It's like a different country altogether.

But gaijin tend to settle well there, so yeah. And I mean gaijin of all races and nations, not just the whites.

Better than in Hiroshima or Nagasaki at least.
Old 2009-12-15, 13:19   Link #664
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
^ Actually, if you're talking about Hiroshima and Osaka, it's like comparing Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. Osaka may seen more expensive on first sight, but if you do your homework, it CAN actually be more affordable (and usually is!) than Hiroshima.

There's a chance that your college facility would be nearer the east side of Osaka since that's where the Education Town of Nara prefecture is, bordering Osaka. Or it could be in Haruhiland, in Nishinomiya (Kwansei University).
It is actually the Kwansei Gakuin in Nishinomiya as you said. Although, what did you mean by Haruhiland?

I have actually decided on Osaka beforehand after some extra consulting (it fits more to my academic plans and less competitive), but your information did make me feel better about it. I had no idea Hiroshima is a UNESCO site/tourist city for one, and I did hold some hope that Osaka isn't Tokyo, cost-wise.

I'll of course have to do a lot of homework on how to make the most of it. With help from you guys hopefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
So it's a friendlier type of metropolis? That's good to hear.

Quote:
If I have the opportunity, I'll ask him for advice about making the most out of living and studying in Osaka.
It would be wonderful, thank you.

Nice to hear about your friend's brother by the way, though I don't have any romantic delusions that I'll achieve the same thing, lol.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 00:21   Link #665
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Hello all. Some of you may remember my dispatches from my first Japan trip, last March. Many were kind enough to offer me advice which was invaluable to making it one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Now I return to your tender mercies again, seeking your guidance.

I'm planning another trip for this year - can't get it out of my blood, now. I'm thinking May, but it could slide over into late April or into early June. Two weeks if I can swing it, maybe a bit less. I have lots of plans to see what I couldn't the first time - a cat (real cats, not nekomimi) cafe, more of Kyoto, Nikko... The list is a long one and I know I won't get to see all of it.

But my main goal for this one is to partake of a really great matsuri. It's hard to describe exactly what I want, but if you're a member at this site you know what I mean. Teenagers and families in yukata scooping goldfish, fireworks, takoyaki... If I have a specialized interest it's taiko, as I play taiko myself and especially love it in a festival setting. I know Sanja Matsuri is in May, and reportedly quite the spectacle - but I don't know, a giant international festival attended by 2 million people in Tokyo doesn't feel like exactly what I want, even if it might have all the individual elements.

I'd like to tie this in with my second main goal for this trip, which is to experience small-town/village Japan. I saw amazing things in Tokyo, Kyoto, Kamakura - but none of it felt like village Japan to me. My only real requirements are that it be reachable by train, as I'll be moving about by JR pass. Maybe I can't find my perfect matsuri in my perfect small town, but even if I can't I'd be grateful for recommendations for both - I'll have time. The Aoba Matsuri (not the Kou, the Aoba ) in Sendai sounds interesting. Sendai is hardly a small town I know, but seems like a lovely place. Ideally, I'd rather not be in a situation where travel is an all-day affair, or a plane flight - like Hokkaido. For example Takayama Matsuri sounds incredible (hell, Takayama sounds incredible) but that's a lot of time en route. Four hours from Tokyo or less via train would be ideal, but not an absolute requirement.

So can anyone offer me some suggestions? Great little towns, great festivals - I'm open to almost anything. I travel light and cheap, try to go local as much as possible, avoid international hotels and restaurants like the plague and don't require the lap of luxury. I'm even happy to have to fake my way through survival Japanese, which I know I'll have to in the smaller places. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-17, 23:33   Link #666
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
/snip/
Since you'll be going in May, I'd say that's a great time to see old-town Japan, and this is where I recommend the prefecture of Fukui. Or Toyama. Fukui is best visited at the END of MAY, while Toyama is better done EARLY MAY.

For Toyama, together with Shirakawa in neighbouring Gifu Prefecture, the area is the staging ground for Higurashi.
Also, did I mention that Toyama City and Imizu City are the staging ground for Persona: Trinity Soul?

Fukui is a different place, it's quaint and VERY OLD... but it might what you want.

Spoiler for For Toyama:

Spoiler for For Fukui:

Verdict: If you want to REALLY get away from the Japan we all know, Fukui would be good. But getting AROUND Fukui is a problem with JUST a JR Pass as Fukui has one of the worst rail connections in the country, and you might find yourself on a bus most of the time.

Toyama is better since JR is preparing the area for a Shinkansen extension, so it needs to be supported by proper rail connections. However, the prefectural capital Toyama IS A BIG CITY, BIGGER THAN SENDAI. So take your pick...

Last edited by ZephyrLeanne; 2009-12-18 at 00:35.
Old 2009-12-18, 01:13   Link #667
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Thanks, Shima. You were invaluable in helping me plan my first trip and I appreciate you stepping up again.

Fukui sounds very cool. Do you know if the Mikuni Festival runs in the evenings as well? Am I going to have a tough time finding fireworks outside of the summer festivals? Toyama sounds like a good option as well.
Old 2009-12-18, 03:16   Link #668
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Thanks, Shima. You were invaluable in helping me plan my first trip and I appreciate you stepping up again.

Fukui sounds very cool. Do you know if the Mikuni Festival runs in the evenings as well? Am I going to have a tough time finding fireworks outside of the summer festivals? Toyama sounds like a good option as well.
Evenings...? Depends on the organisers. They may or may not want it this year, since there were years which it ran on and on non-stop, and others where it was only held in daytime.

Fireworks... sorry, but actually, fireworks aren't within the budget range of places like Fukui. Maybe if you were in Kyoto, there would be fireworks, but as I said, politicans seem to steer away from fukui, thus fukui's budget is rather... small when it comes to events like these.

Toyama is easier on your schedule, trust me, since JR serves the area better. But Fukui is really different, so yeah.
Old 2009-12-18, 20:14   Link #669
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm not asking for much - I just want Tana from Zettai Shounen, and the cat dance matsuri that goes along with it! You can skip the collapsing mountainside part, though...
Old 2009-12-25, 11:37   Link #670
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Sup, necroing this thread.

So, after working my ass off for about a year and a half (which is partly the cause of my absence from the forums, the other one being the fact that Eve Online is so goddamn addictive), I finally have enough money to begin considering passing my two weeks of vacation time in Japan. Of course, me living in an underdeveloped country with underdeveloped country price rates and an underdeveloped country's salary, I won't exactly be swimming in cash, but if my calculations are correct, airplane tickets cost aside, by April I'll have amassed about 2500 USD I can manage to blow off in Japanland without remorse or consequences to my future well-being. So, a few questions to those who have been there and on a budget like I plan on:

1) I plan on buying a 2-week long JR pass here in Argentina (I'm counting the money this will cost within the available 2500 USD). Will it allow me to see most of Japan? I don't really want to stay in Tokyo my whole time there.

2) How easy is it to find budget student inns for 30 USD a night or something in major cities without booking them in advance? How about smaller cities and countryside villages?

3) What about food? I heard something like 3 USD a meal if you're a real cheapstake (and believe me I am--screw those "traditional" tourist-filled restaurants, pot ramen's where it's at).

4) What are the nightlife costs? Can I enjoy getting drunk in Japan without compromising my wallet too much?

5) Is mid-April a good season? Will I see sakura blossoms?

6) Last but not least: I want to hear from someone who has traveled like I want to, on a really tight budget and not really looking forward to make a shopping spree out of a vacation.

If it sounds like I'm really concerned about money, it's because I am.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2009-12-25 at 16:32. Reason: holy shit my english is crappy lately
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-25, 12:08   Link #671
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
1) I plan on buying a 2-week long JR pass here in Argentina (I'm counting the money this will cost within the available 2500 USD). Will it allow me to see most of Japan? I don't really want to stay in Tokyo my whole time there.
Most of the trains in Japan are JR, so you can get to most places. JR passes include shinkansen use as well. Some out-of-the-way places may be on private lines, but you don't need to worry about being stuck in Tokyo.
Quote:
2) How easy is it to find budget student inns for 30 USD a night or something in major cities? How about smaller cities and countryside villages?
There are hostels you can find for about $35 a night, though they may charge extra if you don't have a Japan Youth Hostel membership card. Maybe like $5 extra? If you're staying exclusively in hostels, you may want to get a card, they are 25 USD or something. Hostels often include two meals, but may have some restrictions to keep in mind, like being closed during the day, specific check-in times, or even curfews. (As early as 10pm, though in Japan the trains stop at midnight) As for hotels, you can find a fair number of cheaper ones for $50ish a night. Things in Tokyo are generally a bit more expensive than other cities.
Quote:
3) What about food? I heard something like 3 USD a meal if you're a real cheapstake (and believe me I am--screw those "traditional" tourist-filled restaurants, pot ramen's where it's at).
There are fast food restaurants a plenty, Western (McDonalds) and Japanese (Yoshinoya, KareKichi) that can be quite cheap. Probably closer to 4 or 5 USD if you're getting a decent sized meal. You can also get food from convenience stores or hyaku-en stores, like sandwiches or instant ramen/yakisoba. Some normal Japanese restaurants can be fairly cheap, too, as low as maybe 7 USD for a meal.
Quote:
4) What are the nightlife costs? Can I enjoy getting drunk in Japan without compromising my wallet too much?
Drinking out is pretty pricey.
Old 2009-12-25, 13:16   Link #672
lixuelai

2 week JR pass is more than enough to see most if not all of Japan. That is equivalent of about 20 day stay as you choose when to start using your JR pass. I would fly into Tokyo as that is where you will be most likely be spending most of your time. That way you do not use the JR pass while in Tokyo. Buy a subway pass instead.

Food is generally pretty cheap. I loved the $1.25 ramen but in general for decent food it is about $6-7 in a restaurant or cheaper in a chain. If you eat sushi etc kaiten sushi will probably add up to like $12-20 and beyond that for fancier places. Mostly depends on the place. I had to pay $40 to get a meal in Gion but it was all you can eat shabu-shabu lol.
lixuelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-25, 13:41   Link #673
Autumn Demon
~

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
2) How easy is it to find budget student inns for 30 USD a night or something in major cities without booking them in advance? How about smaller cities and countryside villages?
If you're backpacking all-night internet cafes are a cheap choice for around $10/night.

Quote:
You'll have a hard time finding $3 ramen in Japan... Instant ramen is actually more expensive in Japan than America. But you can do other small meals for $3 at chain restaurants.

Quote:
It's fairly expensive. Look for all-you-can-drink pubs.

$2,500 is definitely doable if you're staying in one spot, but if you're traveling it'll be tighter, especially with the bad exchange rate.
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-25, 14:42   Link #674
lixuelai

Or spend a night at the karaoke. Most of the time it is all you can drink
lixuelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-25, 16:42   Link #675
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
If you're backpacking all-night internet cafes are a cheap choice for around $10/night.
Holy shit, really? That sounds awfully cheap. I'm willing to cut corners as much as I can on the issue of accommodation since I'm not going to Japan to sleep in a comfy bed, and at my age I can manage to sleep wherever I want to. How common are those in places other than the big cities?

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-25, 17:44   Link #676
Autumn Demon
~

Quote:
How common are those in places other than the big cities?
I didn't stay at any internet cafes when I went to Japan so I really don't know. I've read their all-night specials cater to the many working-poor Japanese, so they're probably concentrated around urban areas. A Japanese guy I knew said he stayed at internet cafes for his first year in Tokyo and the price was usually around 1000yen, but I saw some in the popular areas of Tokyo for 3000yen.

Internet cafes don't advertise to foreigners, so you may have a hard to finding locations online unless you know Japanese. But I actually had a hard time finding youth hostels outside of Tokyo too, so it may be easier finding internet cafes.

On my first night in Tokyo I left my luggage in a coin locker at the station for 600yen and slept outside on a bench. Unfortunately most benches in Tokyo have high armrests on them so you can't lie down on them comfortably. Not advisable, especially if you're there outside the summer months.
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-25, 17:52   Link #677
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Holy shit, really? That sounds awfully cheap. I'm willing to cut corners as much as I can on the issue of accommodation since I'm not going to Japan to sleep in a comfy bed, and at my age I can manage to sleep wherever I want to. How common are those in places other than the big cities?
As someone who forever travels on a shoestring budget, trust me, having a good nights sleep on a decent bed works wonders for your general mood and energy for the long days of walking and travelling about.
Hostels are your best bet, so do consider them.
But to add to that:
Quote:
If you are really strapped for cash in a major city, go to an internet café. It will charge you a nominal fee for ‘all night internet’ and you can sleep in the web room on the comfortable padded chairs, or sofas. Just watch out for the cyber-nerds who may wake you at four in the morning.
As a girl, there are a few aspects of travelling cheap that I cannot do, purely outta safety, but you may have some fun with that and meet some of the otaku who live their lives in those cafes (they have no home and sleep there).

But most peeps here already mentioned what I could offer in terms of living/staying here cheaply. If you can rent a bicycle in Tokyo and central Yokohama, then you're sorted in terms of cheap ass travel. (Well in Yokohama, you can, dunno bout Tokyo yet)

Japan on a shoestring 1

Japan on a shoestring 2
Japan on a shoestring 3

Just random google searches, make sure to do your homework and plan where and what you wanna see (rough intenary) before you leave

Good points from the 3rd link:
Quote:
You stash all your belongings in a locker and sleep in a plastic pod, which is stacked on top of two or three others, in a row of hundreds. Inside there is a bed, radio, a small shelf and a TV built into the ceiling. They are comfortable, but not for the claustrophobic.
Capsule Hotels :|
These forever remain to be one of the freakiest, most bizzare aspects of this countries' culture for me
Link 1
Link 2

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-27, 12:54   Link #678
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

The best way to see the country is to do it cheaply

Quote:

You can get a meal for 500 yen average. With 400+ yen the cheapest i gotten with
a ramen shop. Try not to hang around too long in those as it usually has limited seats and a queue of people waiting for their meal and also, most menu on the vending machine are in japanese. Some might have pictures but the really cheap ones don't.

Generally, you queue up, put your money in the machine, select the meal you want, take a seat and hand ur meal ticket to the waiter at the counter. You ll get a glass of water/oolong tea with whatever you ordered. After you are done, you usually have to clear your own tray by putting them on the designated counter.

Izakaya is a good cheap way to get your alcohol. The cheap ones dont even have seats(expect lotsa middle aged salaryman tho) 300 for a glass of beer i think. Again, menus are in japanese only.

If it sounds like I'm really concerned about money, it's because I am.
Old 2009-12-27, 19:06   Link #679
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
As someone who forever travels on a shoestring budget, trust me, having a good nights sleep on a decent bed works wonders for your general mood and energy for the long days of walking and travelling about.
Hostels are your best bet, so do consider them.
I would agree on hostels too, I slept in Osaka for 1500yen and in Tokyo for 2900, and as for the Tokyo one you could probably find cheaper ones. Even though the Osaka one was stinky cheap and in a bad and dirty part (apparently, but still very safe and clean for our western standards) it was still on a higher level than any other hostel that I've been to in Europe... apart from a nastily huge spider that was sharing a room with me... n_n (both were booked in advance though)

I travelled for three weeks, two weeks JR pass, slept only in Yokohama, Kyoto, Osaka and Tokyo while doing day trips to interesting places, eating cheaply and spending as little as possible... if I remember correctly I spent around £2000 in total (flight and JR pass included).
Old 2009-12-27, 20:07   Link #680
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
As a girl, there are a few aspects of travelling cheap that I cannot do, purely outta safety, but you may have some fun with that and meet some of the otaku who live their lives in those cafes (they have no home and sleep there).
But you're a foreigner. They're more afraid of you than you are of them. Gaijin SMASH!

Tags
japan, travel