AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-02-28, 02:33   Link #1
Rando

Hey guys. I'm looking for suggestions...

Okay, where to begin. I've been watching anime. for a while now, and I pretty much know what types of shows that I'm into. I took a long hiatus from watching, and just recently I have been passing the time at work by watching anime on my phone. Anyway, I feel like I am. running out of ideas as to what I should watch so I finally made an account here after reading for a while other peoples' suggestions. Some examples of anime I like are:

Bebop
Trigun
XXXholic
chrono crusade
Hellsing
Vandread
Gankutsuou
Black Lagoon
Love Hina
Clannad
Fate Stay Night
GTO

Some I didn't like:
Shuffle!
Evangelion
. Hack anything
GITS
Inuyasha
Ichigo

Basically what I want is a nice deep plot, with good character development. Some action and humor. If possible a dash of Romance. Thank you all in advance, and I look forward to some great suggestions.
Old 2011-02-28, 03:17   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I recommend Kara no Kyoukai. It's a series of seven films, each about murders that are taking place through supernatural means. The protagonist is Ryougi Shiki, a girl that has been raised in a family of demon hunters and has the ability to see the death of everything through her Mystic Eyes of Death Perception. She also has an almost insatable urge to kill. It also has some amazing art and animation. The story is written by Kinoko Nasu, the same guy who wrote Fate Stay Night.
Old 2011-02-28, 04:32   Link #3
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann + its 2 movies the first movie is meh but the second movie is great, its action+comedy+character development
Baccano its way of story telling is unique it may seem confusing but the ending will clear all those time line chaos
Durarara made by same author as Baccano so it has a unique story telling, it will show you some pieces of infos at first then at the end all those pieces will be joined together, ye it sounds simple when i describe it but believe me its unique when you watch it
Old 2011-02-28, 07:03   Link #4
Rando

I'm checking out Lagann now. I enjoy it so far. Kyoukai will be next for me I am hoping, as it seems a bit more refreshing and different. Keep them coming, and I will be much obliged as I can really burn through a series in a few days.
Old 2011-02-28, 20:19   Link #5
kitten320

Haven't watched Balck Lagoon yet but Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom would be a great series to watch. It is gun action with well developed characters and story, though it is more depressing series as far as I know.

You can also try Canaan.

In Love Hina case... have you read the manga? It is much better than anime! If you did then I would recommend Rosario + Vampire manga which is also much better but you can try anime though it is more echi.

Otherwise you can try Green Green which also is more echi but still at some point similar...

In Clannad case there are always Kanon 2006, Air and Angel Beats who were done by the same author.

Mai HiME and Rozen Maiden are similar to Fate/Stay Night since we have several warriors fighting each other for one big goal. But the main roles are mostly taken by females and in Rozen Maiden main heroes are actually dolls.

If talk about great story telling and characters, Baccano will be a great choice!
Also Fullmetal Alchemist which has everything you want! I would recommend all 2 seasons.
Old 2011-02-28, 22:27   Link #6
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I think you might like the Full Metal Panic! series, including Full Metal Panic!, Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid, and the comedy spin off Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu. The main series is good quality anime, and the comedy spin off is very funny.
Old 2011-02-28, 23:52   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I recommend Mononoke, the sequel to the perhaps even better "Bakeneko". Unlike the shows you've listed, it's set in the Edo Period, but I think you'll enjoy them anyway since you appear to like dark stories.
Old 2011-03-01, 02:14   Link #8
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Some examples of anime I like are:

Bebop
Trigun
XXXholic
chrono crusade
Hellsing
Vandread
Gankutsuou
Black Lagoon
Love Hina
Clannad
Fate Stay Night
GTO
If you haven't already watched it, you're likely to enjoy Last Exile.

In the same vein as Gankutsuou, there's Romeo X Juliet, another reimagination of a literary classic by Gonzo studio.

Quote:
Basically what I want is a nice deep plot, with good character development. Some action and humor. If possible a dash of Romance. Thank you all in advance, and I look forward to some great suggestions.
Try Cross Game. It doesn't have a "nice deep plot", but it's certainly filled with good character development, action and humour plus lots of romance, albeit presented in an indirect way. It may revolve around a high-school baseball team, but the sport is no more than a superficial element of what's really a "slice-of-life" anime.

As for its 50-episode count, well, the show is so addictive that several people, including me, finished it in about three days. Yes, it's that good.
Old 2011-03-01, 04:08   Link #9
Rando

Well, you guys have certainly helped me out a lot. It's a nightmare to even try to quote you guys on this phone, so I will just try to everyone this way:

@kitten320 I think your choice of Mai Hime is a good one, and I'm definitely checking that one out soon. As for FMA, I have seen it and I did enjoy it, although I did feel like it dragged a bit in the middle. I try. to keep a series relatively short because I hate filler, Yu. Yu Hakusho aside.

@urzu 7 I love your recommendation, however I have seen the series. I forgot to list it. I do think it was a top notch series, and that type of show is right up my alley.

@sensi This sounds like a really good series. I am a big fan of history and I think I will appreciate this recommendation.

@redleaf I believe I have seen the Last Exile movie, is the series standalone? Also, regardless of the length Cross Game intrigues me ad a good lighter anime, plus I love baseball anyway. Also, do you think Romeo x Juliet is on par with Gankutsuo?

Last edited by Rando; 2011-03-01 at 04:10. Reason: stupid autocorrect..
Old 2011-03-01, 05:13   Link #10
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
@redleaf I believe I have seen the Last Exile movie, is the series standalone? Also, regardless of the length Cross Game intrigues me ad a good lighter anime, plus I love baseball anyway. Also, do you think Romeo x Juliet is on par with Gankutsuo?
Last Exile is not a movie, but a 26-part series. You may be thinking of Mamoru Oshii's The Sky Crawlers, a movie with a "nice deep plot" that also features a number of aircraft. But you're probably not going to enjoy that film since you disliked the similarly cerebral Ghost in the Shell. Oshii movies tend to be a love-or-hate affair.

I didn't actually enjoy Romeo X Juliet, by the way. I disliked the many liberties that were taken. But that's just my opinion. Your mileage, on the other hand, may vary.
Old 2011-03-01, 06:21   Link #11
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

you love baseball too then watch One Outs its only 25 episodes and very exciting its like the thrill and suspense and intelligence of death note turned into baseball anime
Old 2011-03-01, 13:05   Link #12
kitten320

Quote:
@kitten320 I think your choice of Mai Hime is a good one, and I'm definitely checking that one out soon. As for FMA, I have seen it and I did enjoy it, although I did feel like it dragged a bit in the middle. I try. to keep a series relatively short because I hate filler, Yu. Yu Hakusho aside.
Hope you'll like it, series are kind off seperated in two arcs, second arc is the one similar to Fate/Stay Night.

Did you try second season of FMA? It is actually longer than original but it goes fairly quickly over the stuff that happened in the 1st half of 1st season, missing all the fillers and going straight to the point.
Old 2011-03-03, 00:32   Link #13
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Last Exile is not a movie, but a 26-part series. You may be thinking of Mamoru Oshii's The Sky Crawlers, a movie with a "nice deep plot" that also features a number of aircraft. But you're probably not going to enjoy that film since you disliked the similarly cerebral Ghost in the Shell. Oshii movies tend to be a love-or-hate affair.

I didn't actually enjoy Romeo X Juliet, by the way. I disliked the many liberties that were taken. But that's just my opinion. Your mileage, on the other hand, may vary.
Yeah, OP, I recommend Last Exile, it is pretty good. Drama and action. Good animation and good story; a bit on the epic side. I recommend Mai Hime, too. That one is another good series, as someone pointed out. It has some good action and drama, and several appealing female characters.
Old 2011-03-15, 17:05   Link #14
Rando

Just wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions. I watched most of these series, and plan on watching the rest when I'm able to find them. I really enjoyed Code Grass as well, and I was wondering if anyone has any sugg3stilns of a similar 'revolution' type anime?
Old 2011-03-16, 16:05   Link #15
kitten320

Death Note maybe? Both main characters are anti heroes and Light plans to fight for justice by killing criminals through a Death Note. However, not everyone approve his views...
Old 2011-03-16, 16:41   Link #16
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Revolution? I recommend following Fractale. It's very creative and ambitious.
Old 2011-03-17, 00:19   Link #17
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

To aru majutsu no index has yet to fail interests. Though u will hear many complaints about the second season, which I understand. But if it has a third season it'll be awesome. But any way check it out. Also it's side story to aru kagaku no railgun brings alot of fans
Old 2011-03-17, 05:04   Link #18
hollowification

Send a message via MSN to hollowification
hmm the bleach inuyasha there dragonaut i seen 2 episode it was good if to aru majutsu no index if u dont like that then your crazy it the best

Last edited by hollowification; 2011-03-17 at 05:16.
Old 2011-03-18, 00:21   Link #19
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Cross Game

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

of course, I suppose you've heard about the hot new show Madoka Magica? I only mention it because no one else has yet, and it's the show everyone is raving about.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-03-18, 03:14   Link #20
InitialGT

You need to Watch Kaiji. it's the best gambling psycological anime out there. Akagi is the same thing except with mahjong.
Closed Thread