AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-01-11, 00:49   Link #41
jwai

If Violet is indeed human, it would be a fitting irony that she seeks out machines to rediscover her humanity.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-11, 01:06   Link #42
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
Little they knew that the studio were the romans .
well but that "jesus" come from that "romans" instead of being a jew :P
Old 2018-01-11, 01:17   Link #43
Lukes YGO & WS on YT
Naracchi & Saracchi

This is the anime I was looking forward to watching the most this season.

Spoiler for EP 1 Comments/Feedback:
Lukes YGO & WS on YT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-11, 02:02   Link #44
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

Outside of the visuals, hopefully it turns out to be a good Pygmalion variant.
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-11, 04:27   Link #45
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
They're simulcasted in most areas except a few like US and Australia.

I don't know why they had to do that. If I were a subscriber in any of these regions not having the simulcast, I'd be pissed.
That seems to be the case because this series is not appearing on Netflix in the U.S. side. And add insult to injury, there's already an English dub available. I thought that won't be out until this Spring and thus the delay in the U.S., but NOPE!

Last edited by darkchibi07; 2018-01-11 at 05:19.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-11, 08:39   Link #46
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
They're simulcasted in most areas except a few like US and Australia.

I don't know why they had to do that. If I were a subscriber in any of these regions not having the simulcast, I'd be pissed.
I can't speak for Australia, but "simulcasting" doesn't happen with the US Netflix. It doesn't fit the "binge-watching" model that they're praised for. That's why I and many other people don't like it when they get rights for upcoming anime.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-11, 10:22   Link #47
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I have to say Violet is one of the most impressively animated characters I've ever seen. There's so much meticulous detail put into her motions and body language. Hell I could have sworn I could see individual strands of her hair!

And, TBH, she reminds me a lot of Hoshino Yumemi of Planetarian for some reason.

Wait - Wait a shit I have a Netflix account why did I watch it on my PC subbed when I could have watched it on my 1080 TV.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2018-01-11 at 11:10.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-11, 12:09   Link #48
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was beautifully animated as expected. The storytelling was pretty nice too.

I spent most of the episode wondering if Violet is a human or an android, but I'm pretty sure she looked younger in one of the flashbacks, so I'm leaning towards her being human despite her robotic behavior. I suppose her memories could be fabricated though.
Old 2018-01-11, 14:03   Link #49
Tranhieu

Stunning visual, as usual. Story telling is a bit choppy though, the flashbacks are a bit out of place here and there, as if they were trying to cram them in this episode.
Tranhieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-11, 14:08   Link #50
Kazu-kun

I didn't feel the flashbacks were out of place at all though. If I had to nitpick something it'd be that sometimes the tone is a bit too melodramatic. But that's a matter of taste. Also the filters. KyoAni has to stop abusing the filters.

Other than that it was pretty good.
Old 2018-01-11, 15:49   Link #51
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I wasn't even planning to watch this till I saw it on Netflix and thought I would at least watch the trailer. Glad I did.

I thought it would be about robots, and man's inhumanity to man when there's almost a good excuse for it, but this is worse than that. Violet was some kind of child soldier, wasn't she? I hope she finds what she seeks.

Was Hodgkins a colonel or a lieutenant?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-11, 16:59   Link #52
readher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Was Hodgkins a colonel or a lieutenant?
Lieutenant Colonel, which is one rank below Colonel. Most armies have "under-ranks" - for example, in Poland Colonel is Pułkownik, while Lt. Colonel is Podpułkownik which literally translates to "Undercolonel". While addressing, you use the "full rank" though (meaning you address Lt. Colonel as "Colonel").

On the other hand, armies following German rank system (I think Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg and Nordic countries are the only ones) have "over-ranks" instead. That means you have, for example, Leutnant (Lieutenant) as the base and Oberleutnant ("Upperlieutenant") as one rank above.
readher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-11, 17:12   Link #53
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

OK, thanks. (The translation I read had him as "lieutenant".)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-11, 17:33   Link #54
IceHism

Feels bad when you're a kyoani animator to draw this and then get most of the detail blurred out cause of the filter but damn.

Also kyoani with a super small list of key animators as usual. Nice that they actually pay their ppl on a salary.

As for the episode, I feel that all the changes they made to fit the medium of TV was a benefit. Topping ep1 is gonna be pretty hard though.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-11, 17:43   Link #55
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Now that's what you call a premiere.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-11, 18:12   Link #56
AB079
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Feels bad when you're a kyoani animator to draw this and then get most of the detail blurred out cause of the filter but damn.

Also kyoani with a super small list of key animators as usual. Nice that they actually pay their ppl on a salary.

As for the episode, I feel that all the changes they made to fit the medium of TV was a benefit. Topping ep1 is gonna be pretty hard though.
Left was used to promote the series all over the place while right is what we get as final product, abusing the filters and cleary a downgrade. Still the animation is really good for this show in particular.

I'm not really surprised they did this to be honest, Kyoani always shine when it comes to animation (even when they slap the exact same face on every character) but where it matters - the substance - they usually fail, I'm glad that Evergarden have lots of potential.
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-11, 18:46   Link #57
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

it's almost like they made a stylistic choice to fit the mood of the scene.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-11, 20:16   Link #58
SeaDoor

Holy smokes! What a first episode! Somebody decided to break open a bottle of the good stuff. *sigh*
SeaDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-11, 20:19   Link #59
Dextro
He Without a Title

Damn that first episode. That felt absolutely perfect to me. I'm going to have to watch it again a second time for sure to check out all the subtle details hinted since I noticed some interesting stuff that I want to refresh myself on but overall this might have been one of the best premieres I've seen in quite some time now. I'm 100% hooked.

To be fair my confidence on the studio has been growing lately after stuff like A Silent Voice and Maid Dragon were actually pretty good but I'd been bracing myself for the show being all style over substance yet, thankfully, that wasn't the case. Now this is the KyoAni I like: the masters of visually gorgeous melodrama

If this is the result of Netflix throwing money at Anime studios then I'll gladly keep paying for the service.
Old 2018-01-11, 21:11   Link #60
Tranhieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I didn't feel the flashbacks were out of place at all though. If I had to nitpick something it'd be that sometimes the tone is a bit too melodramatic. But that's a matter of taste. Also the filters. KyoAni has to stop abusing the filters.

Other than that it was pretty good.
Probably because I watched it so late at night (2am) after work. Perhaps a rewatch would do it justice, but initial impression was a bit underwhelmed. They tried to make the story 'dark' but I couldn't get into the mood with this pacing and the added humor (really though, tricking her into working OT isn't funny).

And yeah those filters are annoying, it's as though my lcd has gone hazy for the entire episode.
Tranhieu is offline   Reply With Quote