AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-05-13, 23:14   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 786 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Couple of spoiler pics are out, but so is the full summary from Aohige:

-Chapter title is "Gatz". The splash page features Luffy and a random monkey trying to force-feed bread to Law.

-The townsfolk cheer on Luffy after he buried Doflamingo into the wall. However, they're still confused by his Gear 4 appearance. Viola reports Luffy's victory to the others, and Cavendish is confident that Dofla couldn't have survived that last attack from Luffy. However, Law tells him to look at the sky, as the Birdcage is still standing.....

-Luffy is aware of this fact as well, and attempts to finish off his opponent as quickly as he can. Unfortunately.... Gear 4 wears off. Noticing that he's now become powerless, Jesus Burgess takes this opportunity to hunt down the exhausted supernova. He intends to kill Luffy and steal the Gomu Gomu no Mi. And what's more, Doflamingo recovers from Luffy's strike, destroying the palace! Now that they have the collapsing palace to worry about in addition to the Birdcage, the townsfolk are caught in an even stickier situation....

-However, Luffy does receive more help, this time from Gatz, the coliseum announcer! He's already realized that Luffy was disguised as "Lucy" during the tournament, and wants to lend his assistance. Luffy explains that after using Gear 4, he will be unable to use haki for ten minutes. Once he has enough time to recover, he'll be able to finish Dofla once and for all. Gatz then decides to buy time by calling forth an army of gladiators, who were the ones who previously chose to hunt bounties when the Birdcage first went up. However, they had a change of heart after seeing Luffy fight Doflamingo. Half the gladiators stall Dofla while the other half guard Luffy, but another obstacle appears: Jesus Burgess!

-Burgess is about to stab Luffy with a knife, but the one who protects the rubber man is neither Gatz nor his army of gladiators..... but rather, Sabo! The rebel chief of staff lands a mighty kick on the Blackbeard officer that sends him flying...!!!!

Last edited by marvelB; 2015-05-14 at 00:07.
Old 2015-05-13, 23:59   Link #2
marvelB

Aaaaaand updated with the full summary! Well, Burgess is occupied for now. But I doubt those gladiators will be enough to hold Dofla off for a full 10 minutes (in fact, I doubt they'd even last 10 seconds against him, lol ). Maybe Fujitora can play with him until Luffy recovers, I guess.
Old 2015-05-14, 00:46   Link #3
LowCholesterol
Teacher : The Awakening

is burgess trying to steal gomu-gomu for himself? or to the other BB crew?

if it's for the other, i had feeling now BB pirates is a house of DF users

FGO ID : 261,201,342. IGN: Manfred
FGO wishlist : i didn't wish anything but a better gacha rate & luck
Old 2015-05-14, 02:34   Link #4
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

Oh lookie, almighty Sabo came out of no where to save the day, just like I predicted. He better not help Luffy fight Dof. Can Burgress steal Luffy's devil fruit? I'd understand BlackBeared, he can do that kind of trick but his crew too now?

Guess fans were right, Dof isn't down for the count and was right again, the bird cage can't seem to go away unless Dof is defeated. I thought Zoro and the rest were going to do some thing about that?

Don’t know why Oda felt the need to add in that last minute save from the odd side cast but whatever, at least they realized they are weak compared to Luffy. He's on another level compared to them.

Will wait till the chapter offically comes out to post more.

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Old 2015-05-14, 03:01   Link #5
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gintokifan22 View Post
Oh lookie, almighty Sabo came out of no where to save the day, just like I predicted. He better not help Luffy fight Dof. Can Burgress steal Luffy's devil fruit? I'd understand BlackBeared, he can do that kind of trick but his crew too now?
Well, as we've seen on Punk Hazard, as soon as the DF user dies, the original fruit reappears close to this location.
I guess that's exactly what he is carrying this bag for: He probably has a set of all different kinds of fruits, to steal DF.

What I wonder though is, why he is specifically going after Luffy, while Law was basically an easy target for a couple of minutes now.
Old 2015-05-14, 03:34   Link #6
marvelB

Huh, I'm sort of surprised that I haven't seen a storm of complaints about Oda dragging the fight out due to the whole 10-minute time limit thing (for the record, I'm not bothered by it personally, but I sure as heck expect others to be, lol ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
What I wonder though is, why he is specifically going after Luffy, while Law was basically an easy target for a couple of minutes now.

Law is being guarded by Cavendish, so I doubt he's quite as easy a target as you say. That, and he probably doesn't have the "matching" fruit for the Ope Ope, for all we know.
Old 2015-05-14, 04:09   Link #7
Ultragunner

so.....Haki is some sort of energy? Like a concept of chakra (Naruto) and reiatsu (Bleach)? Not just based on the user's spirit?
Old 2015-05-14, 04:23   Link #8
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
YES! The chapter is out and I love it! Let me dig out something I said a couple of weeks ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten
Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1960
Chapter 780
About time Luffy gets a good fight. I don’t think Luffy will need to show any new power ups for Dalfamingo. He should be able to defeat him with what he has.
By himself, he shouldn't be able to defeat him at all.
I knew I was right. Doflamingo is just too much for Luffy to handle by himself. He's a monster. If Admirals are 100, he's at least an 80. Luffy, on the other hand, is currently a 65 at most. I mean just look at this fight. Law weakened Doflamingo by damaging his internal organs and forcing him to repair them while fighting. Then Luffy uses everything he has on his enemy and still doesn't get the job done, despite the power-up. If it weren't for the colosseum fighters, which are now also helping out in this fight, Doflamingo could kill Luffy right now. He's totally helpless. Don't get me wrong, I'm not critisizing Luffy or anything, but this fight just goes to show that some people need to adjust their perspective a little bit. The Monster Trio guys are not ready to fight Admirals or Yonkous just yet. If they team up they have a chance, but that doesn't mean that Luffy for example is admiral level just yet, or even close for that matter.
Old 2015-05-14, 05:03   Link #9
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quite happy with the way things are progressing. We get to see to see the aftereffects of Gear 4 running out of time: Luffy coming to a complete stop. you could really tell with the drawings of Luffy that using Gear 4 took a heavy toll on him. It also explains why Luffy used it as a last resort. Its kinda like Chopper's Monster Point: powerful but the aftereffect is a bitch. I do find that the 10 minute recharge time is bit arbitrary (moreso than Gear 3 which at least made some sort of sense). It would would make sense if Gear 4's time limit was also ten minutes; but that's just dodging the real matter at hand. We still don't know how Haki works; in the sense that I was surprised when in the previous chapter, Law said that Luffy was using too much Haki. Either way, Luffy still has room for improvement and absolutely can't fight the Yonkou. I'm hoping that Luffy can glean something from this fight that will give him direction in which to grow.

As for the rest of the chapter, I enjoyed the gladiators coming to Luffy's aid. I expect Kyros to also come to his aid. But I think one of the most important concepts that this arc has introduced into the series is that from now on, the gathering of allies outside of the main Strawhat Crew will be crucial to victory. I'm not talking about those sparse and few alliances that were made throughout Part 1. In this arc, quite literally, its taken input from every major party on the island in some form or another to get this stage. It might have dragged down the pacing for this arc but the point has been made rather strongly. Its basically Mihawk's observation from Marineford taken physical form.

Lastly, Sabo. Saw this coming from a mile away. This was set up by Oda in Chapter 779. In fact, the prisoners in the Colosseum were also rescued by Sabo in that chapter.
Old 2015-05-14, 05:24   Link #10
Belise
Rokushiki User
*Artist

Luffy needs to find a way to make/use gears without having such a devastating effect on his body. I know he's partly doing it out of necessity but he can't be leaving himself wide open like that. This is the New World. It's too risky with scenarios here.

I feel like he'll only realize that once bodies start piling up on his conscious. Maybe they will in the next ten minutes. Which is like pausing a dragged out battle another two chapters..
Old 2015-05-14, 05:30   Link #11
necrolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
so.....Haki is some sort of energy? Like a concept of chakra (Naruto) and reiatsu (Bleach)? Not just based on the user's spirit?
I'm quite disappointed from that too but I was sure it will come to this someday. Well for now this is the first time when someone's haki runs out so maybe Oda was just out of ideas and used this concept because it will make things easier for him in the future(maybe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
YES! The chapter is out and I love it! Let me dig out something I said a couple of weeks ago:

I knew I was right. Doflamingo is just too much for Luffy to handle by himself. He's a monster. If Admirals are 100, he's at least an 80. Luffy, on the other hand, is currently a 65 at most. I mean just look at this fight. Law weakened Doflamingo by damaging his internal organs and forcing him to repair them while fighting. Then Luffy uses everything he has on his enemy and still doesn't get the job done, despite the power-up. If it weren't for the colosseum fighters, which are now also helping out in this fight, Doflamingo could kill Luffy right now. He's totally helpless. ... The Monster Trio guys are not ready to fight Admirals or Yonkous just yet.
I saw your comment when you posted it weeks ago and I was happy that there were other people who look more realistically to Luffy's power and now this proves that we are right to think this way
Old 2015-05-14, 06:16   Link #12
imza

Good chapter, some odd turns I was not expecting.

I have to say regarding Luffy's power compared to Doffy, Doffy is certainly the strongest Luffy has fought but we saw similar limits of Luffy against Lucci. In fact at that point Lucci had already defeated him and couldn't even move. As such, I'm thinking after the 10 minutes are over, Luffy will finish this fight with gear 4 version of gatling gun.
Old 2015-05-14, 06:18   Link #13
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Quote:

I knew I was right. Doflamingo is just too much for Luffy to handle by himself. He's a monster. If Admirals are 100, he's at least an 80. Luffy, on the other hand, is currently a 65 at most. I mean just look at this fight. Law weakened Doflamingo by damaging his internal organs and forcing him to repair them while fighting. Then Luffy uses everything he has on his enemy and still doesn't get the job done, despite the power-up. If it weren't for the colosseum fighters, which are now also helping out in this fight, Doflamingo could kill Luffy right now. He's totally helpless. Don't get me wrong, I'm not critisizing Luffy or anything, but this fight just goes to show that some people need to adjust their perspective a little bit. The Monster Trio guys are not ready to fight Admirals or Yonkous just yet. If they team up they have a chance, but that doesn't mean that Luffy for example is admiral level just yet, or even close for that matter.
What's not to love?
Law apparently did all the work I mean it not like luffy did nothing with his gear 4. I guess will give this to law since he did all the heavy lifting for the last two chapters. You make it seem like laws move was the difference between luffy winning and losing. For the guy who claims to be realistic about luffy's power you sure aren't realistic about laws limits. The coliusem fighter aren't considered help in my book. Why because the wouldn't last 1 seconds with daflamingo. You might has well throw viola in there to help. Sabo and zoro are the only ones who can do anything. Has for the straw hats I do think zoro and luffy are ready for an admiral. Because its the only rank in the marines that can do something to those two. If a vice admiral bastilla can't do anything what rank will you throw at them? The straw hats have no choice because this won't be their last scuffle with the admirals.

first casualty of any battle is the plan.
Second I agree with some of the people on this forum, luffy needs to figure away out to use these gears without making him useless. Gears like these are becoming more of a disadvantage then an advantage. Gear 4 is impessive but it requires him to finish off his opponent in a certain amount of time. How rarely does a plan come together without a problem? Almost never. Sooner or later the luck going to run out and brother or no brother he will loose.
Old 2015-05-14, 06:45   Link #14
noktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
I don't think it's like reiatsu/charkra or whatever, look at Luffy he can barely stand or even have his eyes open, I don't think he has the will to use haki.

Overall, I'm kind of disappointed, why use a transformation with such heavy drawbacks ? This is even worse than Gear 3rd, had he used it somewhere in a 1 on 1 fight where no one could protect him, he would have been a dead man.
I mean seriously, the plan was to train in order to protect his nakama, not have them protect you while you're lying down powerless from the drawbacks, with Luffy it seems like the plan is always : "I'll transform, I'll finish them quickly, and then suffer the draw-backs with my opponent KO'D", which we know is never the case.
Old 2015-05-14, 07:06   Link #15
J4n1

Yeah, not liking the drawbacks from gear 4th, no opinion of Haki regenerating, maybe it's just a matter of willpower and mental stress of using it, maybe it's actual energy like Chakra or something, we'll see.

Not a bad chapter, but dammit, i want this stuff to end, or at least show what is happening with Zoro and the Samurai team and the birdcage.
Old 2015-05-14, 07:27   Link #16
P_Dezz

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4n1 View Post
Yeah, not liking the drawbacks from gear 4th, no opinion of Haki regenerating, maybe it's just a matter of willpower and mental stress of using it, maybe it's actual energy like Chakra or something, we'll see.

Not a bad chapter, but dammit, i want this stuff to end, or at least show what is happening with Zoro and the Samurai team and the birdcage.
Look we all know there was going to be some drama to this, you guys have to remember Doflamingo is probably one of the most prominent well known villains of One Piece. We all knew there was something extremely special to him since his introduction, he is probably the last Schichibukai that Luffy will have a fight with. Next part of the arc is Kaidou, and I suspect the next saga will have a lot to do with the past and the world government. These next 10 minutes are probably going to be used to tie some loose ends in the Dressrosa arc, like Burgess's true purpose, CP0's whereabouts, and Doflamingo revealing some facts about D's. So I don't really mind the length of Dressrosa at this point considering all that's been introduced.
Old 2015-05-14, 07:42   Link #17
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belise View Post
Luffy needs to find a way to make/use gears without having such a devastating effect on his body. I know he's partly doing it out of necessity but he can't be leaving himself wide open like that. This is the New World. It's too risky with scenarios here.
I've been wondering that myself and ponder if an awakened rubber fruit would fix that problem.
Old 2015-05-14, 07:50   Link #18
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
I knew I was right. Doflamingo is just too much for Luffy to handle by himself. He's a monster. If Admirals are 100, he's at least an 80. Luffy, on the other hand, is currently a 65 at most. I mean just look at this fight. Law weakened Doflamingo by damaging his internal organs and forcing him to repair them while fighting. Then Luffy uses everything he has on his enemy and still doesn't get the job done, despite the power-up. If it weren't for the colosseum fighters, which are now also helping out in this fight, Doflamingo could kill Luffy right now. He's totally helpless.
Ever since Luffy has used Gear 4, Doflamingo hasn't been able to keep up with him - he's getting thrashed left, right, and center. And to be fair, Trebol interfered in the fight before when Luffy was seemingly getting the upper hand without Gear 4. Despite the damaged internal organs, Doffy seems to be doing just fine (it's as though his strings have fixed him up relatively well). Plus there's the fact that Luffy didn't start this fight at 100% since he had to go through all those coliseum fights and contend with Doflamingo's obstacles on the way.

With all that being said, there really isn't anything indicative of Doffy being too much for Luffy. Stronger? Perhaps. But Luffy is definitely a worthy contender here.
Old 2015-05-14, 07:51   Link #19
Kafriel
Senior Guest

His current skills are balanced for that very reason. Luffy may be a D. but he's a pretty ordinary guy, it only makes sense for his powers to have limits. Losing all his willpower for 10' should leave him susceptible to any kind of haki attack, so it pretty much certifies his defeat if he can't win.

As for this fight: colosseum soldiers perish in a few seconds, Sabo holds out for the rest of the fight and Luffy saves him just as the ten minutes pass. WTF @ splash page, is Law mortally afraid of bread?
Old 2015-05-14, 08:11   Link #20
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dezz View Post
Look we all know there was going to be some drama to this, you guys have to remember Doflamingo is probably one of the most prominent well known villains of One Piece. We all knew there was something extremely special to him since his introduction, he is probably the last Schichibukai that Luffy will have a fight with. Next part of the arc is Kaidou, and I suspect the next saga will have a lot to do with the past and the world government. These next 10 minutes are probably going to be used to tie some loose ends in the Dressrosa arc, like Burgess's true purpose, CP0's whereabouts, and Doflamingo revealing some facts about D's. So I don't really mind the length of Dressrosa at this point considering all that's been introduced.
Yeah, we all knew, to a certain extent, that the fight would still probably drag on for a bit.
But really, "gimme 10 minutes, i need a breather"?
Why not just do a scene cut and show what Zoro is doing if you don't want to finish the fight just yet.

Though i suspect any chapter from here until Dolfy goes down for good shall be met with warrying degrees of yawns and sighs as people just wait for the end.
Especially if nothing really happens, or worse, if we get a completely new fight announced like we did on this chapter.
Closed Thread