AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-02-18, 02:26   Link #21
gaguri

Although useful in finding trivial informations quickly, internet just doesn't compare to library or other archives of printed works as an academic resource..
Old 2008-02-18, 03:03   Link #22
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

As much as I love the internet, I have to admit that I always have and always will love the library. If not for the books, but for the setting. I like the smell of books and the quietness and the comfy couches and chairs. It's fun to sometimes bump into another person w/ the same interests because the encounter may turn into a stimulating conversation. Staring at my computer all day long strains my eyes, while reading from a book all day never seems like a burden.
Another advantage to the library, at least from a student's point of view, is that it's harder to be distracted from homework when sitting in the library. It's quiet. Other people are reading. So I blend in and do my homework as well: quietly. But, when I'm in my room with my computer, my mind has a second of being bored and I relieve myself for an hour changing gears and browsing animesuki instead of reading up on linguistics ( not that reading stuff on animesuki is bad).

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 09:28   Link #23
shiro83

I don't think the Internet will eventually replace books and libraries.

Personally, I prefer to hold a book while studying instead of being bound to a LCD screen. And some copyrighted materials will never be available online. The authors of these copyrighted materials will be better off publishing their stuff as books and earning a few bucks.
shiro83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 09:35   Link #24
aka Providence
(; ,;) fthagn

Send a message via AIM to aka Providence Send a message via Yahoo to aka Providence
books will forever be my favorite thing, compared to reading in the internet. i have a ton of books in my computer but i won't be satisfied until i get the genuine book form. i can also relax better when i'm reading a book, not to mention reading an entire book on one sitting in front of the computer gives me a killer headache. my eyesight got bad too, after staring at the monitor for a long time.

the internet does help quite a bit when i'm studying, though. but being a lazy person in general it's not much to be excited about, either.
aka Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 10:48   Link #25
Kristen
*Author

I absolutely hate reading on the internet. You don't get the same satisfaction as you do turning a page, and scrolling doesn't have the same feel as having a book in hand. Also, books are lighter and more portable than a computer. I'd rather carry a 5 oz book than a 3 lb computer. Also, computers get hot, and they have to rest on your lap or on a desk.
I really prefer just sitting in a chair comfortably reading a book than sitting at a desk.
Plus, it's a bit easier to bookmark a page with a book than with a computer.
Old 2008-02-18, 11:05   Link #26
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post
I absolutely hate reading on the internet. You don't get the same satisfaction as you do turning a page, and scrolling doesn't have the same feel as having a book in hand. Also, books are lighter and more portable than a computer. I'd rather carry a 5 oz book than a 3 lb computer. Also, computers get hot, and they have to rest on your lap or on a desk.
I really prefer just sitting in a chair comfortably reading a book than sitting at a desk.
Plus, it's a bit easier to bookmark a page with a book than with a computer.
How about this then:

http://www.plasticlogic.com/hi-res.php

Old 2008-02-18, 11:36   Link #27
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Generally speaking, for tidbits of information: the internet.

For more complex readings: paper.

And about libraries being quite places... It, alas, depends on the library.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 11:56   Link #28
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Unlike the rest of the people here, my eyes feel strained when reading off a book, not when reading off the PC monitor. Poor lighting has a lot to do with this, and the exceptional lighting I'd need not to feel any pain is difficult to find. My high school's library sucked in this department--light was too dim, even during the day. Also, the books' pages (especially the newer ones, not so much the older) have this scent that makes me dizzy after being exposed to it for a long amount of time (also happens to me A LOT with plastic-paper magazines...). Reading off the monitor does strain my eyes, but not as much as a book. It's curious, since my eyesight is near perfect... well, it probably means that in the future I'll develop the astigmatism my mom has now and I'll need glasses, but what the heck.

Tip for those who have problems reading off a monitor: set your text processor's colors to black background and white text, and set the monitor's refresh rate to 80 Hz or higher--by default, most CRT models use 60 Hz (slightly more than the rate used by CRT TVs) which, at the close distance you're supposed to use the PC, hurts a lot.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 13:46   Link #29
Ledgem
Love Yourself

People claiming that it's easier to work with books vs. digital texts (in terms of notations, bookmarks, etc.) likely are either using e-books that aren't very well set up, or haven't found software that's right for them. An e-book I used had a great system where you could highlight, add notes to yourself anywhere (the length was somewhat limited, but you could type out a lot more than one could write), and it'd track where you'd left off last.

I wished that all of my textbooks were like that. It'd be so much lighter to carry a single computer than to carry the huge textbooks for chemistry, biology, and so forth...
Old 2008-02-18, 13:51   Link #30
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Internet is great but personally watching an LCD screen for too long just does my eyes in, whereas a book is easy on the eyes so I can spend much longer reading a book in a library then say studying on the computer. Overall I think neither will take one over which is a good thing.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 15:28   Link #31
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
That looks extremely futuristic. But, I'd be kind of afraid of dropping it, and I can't flip a page, and if I lose it, it's a lot of money that I lost as opposed to like $5-$30 for a book. Plus, it doesn't look to be very flexible either, and I tend to need flexibility with a book...

Also, it's always fun to close a book when your done. Much more than turning something off.
Old 2008-02-18, 16:41   Link #32
Archontic
Power of the Damager

Send a message via AIM to Archontic Send a message via MSN to Archontic
Like I said earlier, paperbacks and hardcovers have become more of a novelty, rather than how they used to be the only means of effectively containing and mass producing literature.

Incidentally, did you know that lighters were invented before matches? Apply that here for a good ironic laugh.
Archontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 16:43   Link #33
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
As much as I love the internet, I have to admit that I always have and always will love the library. If not for the books, but for the setting. I like the smell of books and the quietness and the comfy couches and chairs. It's fun to sometimes bump into another person w/ the same interests because the encounter may turn into a stimulating conversation. Staring at my computer all day long strains my eyes, while reading from a book all day never seems like a burden.
Another advantage to the library, at least from a student's point of view, is that it's harder to be distracted from homework when sitting in the library. It's quiet. Other people are reading. So I blend in and do my homework as well: quietly. But, when I'm in my room with my computer, my mind has a second of being bored and I relieve myself for an hour changing gears and browsing animesuki instead of reading up on linguistics ( not that reading stuff on animesuki is bad).
I also have good memories of the library. As much as I love my computer, there's nothing better than reading a few pages before bed or if people on forums piss you off.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 17:38   Link #34
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
Sorta reminds me of the e-book concept ^^

Quote:
That looks extremely futuristic. But, I'd be kind of afraid of dropping it, and I can't flip a page, and if I lose it, it's a lot of money that I lost as opposed to like $5-$30 for a book. Plus, it doesn't look to be very flexible either, and I tend to need flexibility with a book...

Also, it's always fun to close a book when your done. Much more than turning something off.
Slamming the book is pretty fun too.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 17:39   Link #35
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
It can also make for a nice bludgeoning weapon.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-18, 22:50   Link #36
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
Sorta reminds me of the e-book concept ^^

And if someone's annoying me, I'd rather throw a book at them than a laptop.

Besides, I think the president taking the oath of office on a laptop would look a little silly.
Old 2008-02-18, 23:32   Link #37
kitto-chan
很快是工程師

I do believe that the internet could successful replace the public libraries. The libraries gets funding from the states. If it can be proven that the libraries do not contribute to education then the libraries could be shut down. I know the one I used to frequent has closed it doors. Actually 6 libraries closed down, or better phrased incorporated into one main library. Personally for me I'm not a fan of libraries, however I do enjoy a book when reading for pleasure. RA Salvatore, Tracey & Hickman, but for research, for schooling, text book, I much prefer PDF format, cntrl-f for quick searches, and wikipedia is your friend when writing an essay and needing quick info.
kitto-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-19, 08:01   Link #38
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
And if someone's annoying me, I'd rather throw a book at them than a laptop.

Besides, I think the president taking the oath of office on a laptop would look a little silly.
Okay, okay ^^' I got it. The book allows for certain things and can deliver emotions an e-device cannot. I just wouldn't have thought that throwing books on someone is important or closing a book loudly.