AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-07-18, 16:28   Link #201
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I remember trying frog legs when I was in high school. Pretty tasty. Tried rabbit meat too IIRC.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-18, 23:01   Link #202
Draw it blank
Lazy Otaku

Send a message via Yahoo to Draw it blank
Has anybody tried suppon!? (turtle)
Its good until they tell you it was the cute turtle you were just playing with!
Draw it blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-19, 23:48   Link #203
FateAnomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draw it blank View Post
Has anybody tried suppon!? (turtle)
Its good until they tell you it was the cute turtle you were just playing with!
I watched a j drama show where the characters in the show ate it. Supposedly it is good for the skin or something like that. They even drank the blood. Seems like a popular dish.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-17, 17:26   Link #204
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I recently had Shabu Shabu and I came to really like this food. Initially I was turned off by it, but once getting used to the eating style it become very enjoyable. Beforehand the Shabu Shabu I ate was shared by everyone, so that was bit uncomfortable. The recent one I ate had pot for every individual and that was much easier to eat and I could controlled what I put in, hence lot better to eat. Also the sauce that my cousin made for dipping was really good. The beef Shabu Shabu for me was the best though only comparison I could make is with sea food variation. Now I am curious if there are any variation of Shabu Shabu in Japan, such as different kind of soup (for lack of better word) to cook in or the type of ingredient added in the food.
Old 2011-08-16, 06:18   Link #205
Pink Cow
This is my title.

I usually make onigiri and okonomiyaki. I especially like making okonomiyaki. Effing delicious!
Here are a couple of pictures:

Okonomiyaki

Onigiri I made for some friends. Lol.

I can make katsudon, but I still haven't "mastered" it yet. Sometimes I still end up putting too much rice wine (sub for mirin). >.<

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 06:29   Link #206
calorie

^ Okonomiyaki looks super. What recipe did you use and does it require many hard-to-find ingredients? Last time I checked on Google I couldn't recognize half of the stuff needed so I gave up.
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 06:43   Link #207
Pink Cow
This is my title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobodan View Post
^ Okonomiyaki looks super. What recipe did you use and does it require many hard-to-find ingredients? Last time I checked on Google I couldn't recognize half of the stuff needed so I gave up.
I learned how to make it from here:
http://okonomiyakiworld.com/best-oko...ki-recipe.html

You can substitute Okonomiyaki flour with normal flour.

The most basic okonomiyaki is made out of flour, water, egg, and cabbage. Dashi is for more flavor. You can find it in an Asian supermarket. But you don't need to use it if it's unavailable to you. The sauces are Japanese mayonnaise and Okonomi sauce. But these can also be substituted. You can check out the substitutes in the website I linked you. Just look for the Ingredients tab and then scroll all the way down.

You can put whatever you like in your Okonomiyaki too. Bacon, shrimp, squid, potatoes, tomatoes, etc. "Okonomiyaki" basically means "what you want fried". So yeah. You can mix in whatever you please with the batter.

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Old 2011-08-16, 07:13   Link #208
calorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Cow View Post

The most basic okonomiyaki is made out of flour, water, egg, and cabbage. Dashi is for more flavor. You can find it in an Asian supermarket. But you don't need to use it if it's unavailable to you. The sauces are Japanese mayonnaise and Okonomi sauce. But these can also be substituted. You can check out the substitutes in the website I linked you. Just look for the Ingredients tab and then scroll all the way down.

You can put whatever you like in your Okonomiyaki too. Bacon, shrimp, squid, potatoes, tomatoes, etc. "Okonomiyaki" basically means "what you want fried". So yeah. You can mix in whatever you please with the batter.
Thanks a bunch! I can't believe that website even provides such detailed info on the ingredient substitutes and nutritional content.

Okonomiyaki is one of those japanese foods that I first found about in animes (Taiga, Toradora!) and googled it afterwards, seeing how great but also complicated it looked and then getting disheartened when I saw that it required stuff like dashi, special type of flour etc.

Sadly there isn't a single Asian store where I live, or at least not that I know of but it's so good to know I'll finally be able to try it out in some shape or form. Feeling a bit lazy atm but as soon as I try out the recipe I'll post the results.
Old 2011-08-16, 07:33   Link #209
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Cow View Post

For my okonomiyaki base I also add some finely diced Konyaku, bean sprouts and pickled ginger.
As for the special flour it has dried grated yamatoimo in it and is alway better if you use normal flour with freshly grated yamato-imo.
You can also substitute water with sake making it more rich in flavor.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-16, 07:52   Link #210
Pink Cow
This is my title.

@Slobodan,
No problem! Glad to have helped. Good luck when you start making your first Okonomiyaki! ^^

@Tri-ring,
Beansprouts are good. Haven't tried Konyaku yet, and as for pickled ginger, I didn't like that. Lol. So I guess its a preferred taste.
Sadly, I can't find any yamaimo where I live. >.< But I'll try out the sake substitute! XD
I also read somewhere that milk can substitute for water too.^^

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Old 2011-08-16, 13:58   Link #211
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Thanks to Pink Cow and Tri-ring.... I've had a terrible string of failures in trying to make a decent okonomiyaki (lots of terrible recipes out there). This looks promising.
Old 2011-08-16, 15:02   Link #212
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

My friend took me out to a Japanese place for my birthday, and we had a sushi platter. It wasn't bad, but all of the fish was pretty bland. I actually really enjoyed the eel, though.

Also, wasabi sauce is NUTS. You have some of that, think, "Oh, this is alright I guess," then your ear and the entire side of your face start tingling like crazy. It's wild.
Old 2011-08-16, 17:06   Link #213
Pink Cow
This is my title.

@Vexx,
I hope your first Okonomiyaki is a success! ^^

@Gamer_2k4,
Wasabi. I despise wasabi. Lol. I tried to like it. I really did. But I can't. Lol. So I just eat my sushi with soy sauce only instead. >.<

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Old 2011-08-19, 11:32   Link #214
calorie

Here goes my first attempt at okonomiyaki, according to the recipe linked by Pink Cow:

Took me a while to get myself to the supermarket and buy the essential ingredients. I was too lazy to make it today and was going to leave that for tomorrow but my younger sister insisted she would make it. Naturally I had to jump in somewhere around the baking process but she had made some mistakes prior to that - e.g. cabbage wasn't cut thinly enough. I baked the okonomiyaki on a Wok saucepan with a little olive oil and the mixture solidified surprisingly well, only like a third of it fell apart during the flipping, so I added an additional egg to "patch it up". As for the toppings, I added the suggested alternative for the okonomi sauce (ketchup + worcestershire + soy sauce) and some mayonnaise (which sadly wasn't bottled so the end result doesn't look very aesthetic). Also a bit of origano since I had none of the spices mentioned. And I skipped on Tenkasu.

Now I haven't tried it because I've already eaten too many calories today but it smells darn good and my family's reaction is quite positive. Not to worry though, making another one tomorrow (all by myself) and it should turn out a lot better.
Old 2011-08-19, 20:22   Link #215
Pink Cow
This is my title.

^ Wow! Even if the mayonnaise wasn't bottled, it still looks good! And since your family gave a positive reaction, it was probably delicious. Congratulations on your success with your first Okonomiyaki! ^^

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Old 2011-08-21, 09:17   Link #216
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Thanks to Pink Cow and Tri-ring.... I've had a terrible string of failures in trying to make a decent okonomiyaki (lots of terrible recipes out there). This looks promising.
Don't forget to place a lid on the pan and cook under a slow fire with a good helping of cooking oil or you'll find uncooked batter inside with a burnt crisp outside.

The wildest and most rewarding okonomiyaki that I know is comprised of 100% freshly gated yamato-imo as batter with no flour.
It's like a pan fried mousse with various fillings inside.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 16:00   Link #217
calorie

An extremely simple obento I made yesterday. Cute-ish though.

Old 2011-08-21, 23:40   Link #218
Pink Cow
This is my title.

^ Cute!
I feel like making a bento now. Hahaha! XD

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Old 2011-08-22, 01:11   Link #219
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by calorie View Post
An extremely simple obento I made yesterday. Cute-ish though.

Nice bento, but there's no green in it. Good bento always has all the element of red, green, and yellow to make it beautiful(and healthy too )
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 01:19   Link #220
calorie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
Nice bento, but there's no green in it. Good bento always has all the element of red, green, and yellow to make it beautiful(and healthy too )
I know, I said I was lazy >< I've made heaps of healthier and prettier obentos.