AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-19, 00:32   Link #81
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
Jinchuu Arc When~!?
this. first thing that came to my mind after i looked to tissues to clean my pants

Kaoru's hair is off. Tomoe's hair is off too.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 00:40   Link #82
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Here are the Redesigns
Kaoru looks too moe....I don't know what happened.
FTR, there's no indication at this point that these redesigns will have anything to do with whatever the new anime project is.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 00:42   Link #83
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

yeah, they are just redesigns the mangaka did to modernize the work. i'm going to bet there will be large changes between that and the final design. (like how the heck did kenshin's scar get that big?)

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 00:54   Link #84
Ryuujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
2) The last arc had crazy superpowers that felt like out of place.
That started way before that. It goes back at least as far as the Kyoto arc (pretty much all the villains in that arc had some sort of ridiculous superpower, I mean Shishio alone had plenty and to spare...). Even the first few arcs had them (Not!Gambit's hypno-eyes, Raijuta's Razor Wind attack, etc).

Honestly, I hope if they remake the anime, they make the fight with Shishio a little less... stupid.

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side.
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!"~Dinobot
Ryuujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 00:56   Link #85
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Yeah, the artwork is no indicator of anything, just speculations.

Watsuki, at his core, is an overly imaginative man with bucket loads of optimism. He loves stories that ends on a very optimistic and positive note, and despite all the crap he puts his characters through, he always make sure they're rewarded in the end. And as a comic book fan, he also loves wackiness in designs, evident in a lot of his stuff. The Kanzenban redesign is more or less just him letting loose without any shred of restraint.

I still remember all the crack he wrote in his afterwords in the Kenshin volumes on how Kenji later ends up being a Shishio-ish villain and the Kenshin franchise would extend to Yahiko vs Kenji.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 01:01   Link #86
klare

Kenshin is my fav manga but i never follow its anime version, might do it if this one is good
Old 2011-04-19, 01:05   Link #87
GreatTeacherKen

Quote:
Here are the Redesigns
Kaoru looks too moe....I don't know what happened.
I dunno, I thought Kaoru was cute, perhaps even moe, with her original design too. Still, she does look quite different.

While some of the characters are still recognizable, some of them are really different. Gein being the most extreme change, if it weren't for the skull mask, I wouldn't be able to recognize him at all. Jin-e also seems to have got an upgrade in looks, not as much as Gein, but he looks a little less creepy IMO.

Anyway, those designs are more like 'what if' style sketches (if Watsuki drew them the manga in the 2000s they'd look like that) it's not like he redrew the entire manga, so I can easily see the anime just using the same style as the old one.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 01:20   Link #88
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Hopefully, this will be a remake like what happened with FMA. The Tokyo arc in the original series was mostly quite bad, with several random stories that I couldn't give a darn about. One case in point: the sumo wrestler story was simply awful. Even the stories which introduced the main characters felt weak at a few points. As I didn't read the manga, I'm not sure how much of the Tokyo arc was filler and how much was taken from the manga. If the new anime is a remake, I hope it can improve on this arc and cut out the worst and most pointless parts.
Tokyo arc was butchered in the anime. The sumo wrestler story is pure filler, as were the pirate, train hijack, circus and pretty much every other stupid and out of place episode you can think of. And even the canon stories suffered some pretty significant changes which kinda ruined the overall quality and feel of it. The Raijuta arc for example is very different in the manga, and the one with Sanosuke's bomber friend also has a completely different conclusion and in the manga Sano actually knows better than to try and fight Kenshin a second time. So yeah, read the manga if this new anime doesn't try and properly cover Tokyo this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nines View Post
Hope when Kenshin goes to slice through the sword collector its not a reverse bladed sword. I want to see him turn into the Batousai more
So basically you want to see him suffer more, huh? Poor Kenshin, some fans he's got!

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Only the Kyoto arc is free of filler, and even it drags things on a bit.
No, and no. Kyoto still had filler, just not entire filler episodes, but rather filler (well) integrated with the canon material. Sojiro's flashback about killing Senkaku, for example. As for Kyoto dragging, pretty sure 99% of the fanbase disagrees with you and then some, and rightly so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
I still remember all the crack he wrote in his afterwords in the Kenshin volumes on how Kenji later ends up being a Shishio-ish villain and the Kenshin franchise would extend to Yahiko vs Kenji.
I thought that actually sounded kind of interesting. IIRC Kenji would learn Hiten Mitsurugi techniques just from hearing about them but his personality and mindset would develop into an individual much more like Shishio or Saito. The Seisouhen OVA tried to use that idea, but, like everything else it did, kinda failed at it and Kenji just came off as a dick and not a very entertaining one.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 02:13   Link #89
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The Kyoto Arc...drags? Wow.
I know everyone here seems to disagree with me but, bear with me for a moment.

I don't have time for a ninety-odd episode anime. The Kyoto arc by itself is longer than some entire series.

That's just too damn long to hold my attention anymore. I have too much crap to do. I'm too old and have too much school and other hobbies for a series I can't quickly watch in a few afternoons.
Old 2011-04-19, 02:24   Link #90
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
No matter what the new animation turns out to be, you should read the manga. It's one of the very best of all-time.
I'm not a big manga guy but I may make an exception for Rurouni Kenshin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goty View Post
It's filler-heavy, actually. At least a good half of it, possibly more. Even the canon stuff is changed from the manga, especially Raijuuta's mini arc. Heck, not to mention annoying filler characters often popping up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Tokyo arc was butchered in the anime. The sumo wrestler story is pure filler, as were the pirate, train hijack, circus and pretty much every other stupid and out of place episode you can think of. And even the canon stories suffered some pretty significant changes which kinda ruined the overall quality and feel of it. The Raijuta arc for example is very different in the manga, and the one with Sanosuke's bomber friend also has a completely different conclusion and in the manga Sano actually knows better than to try and fight Kenshin a second time. So yeah, read the manga if this new anime doesn't try and properly cover Tokyo this time.
Thanks a lot for the info. I'm relieved to know that the problems with the Tokyo arc in the anime weren't due to Watsuki's writing.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 02:27   Link #91
Vicious108

Quote:
I know everyone here seems to disagree with me but, bear with me for a moment.

I don't have time for a ninety-odd episode anime. The Kyoto arc by itself is longer than some entire series.

That's just too damn long to hold my attention anymore. I have too much crap to do. I'm too old and have too much school and other hobbies for a series I can't quickly watch in a few afternoons.
...Seriously? So I assume you've never watched more than two 13 episode series in your life? Because three of those would already be longer than the Kyoto arc. Obviously the problem here isn't the time, but rather that you have the attention span of a 5 year old. Oh well, your loss.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 02:31   Link #92
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I'm not a big manga guy but I may make an exception for Rurouni Kenshin.

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm relieved to know that the problems with the Tokyo arc in the anime weren't due to Watsuki's writing.
I'll continue to argue in defense of the first season, but to each his own. Of the 27 eps, I believe about 10 were filler - that's a lot but it's not like it dominated the season. And some of the filler, IMO, was pretty decent. Is it Kyoto? No - that's about as good as shounen anime can ever aspire to. But it's pretty good in my eyes.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 03:16   Link #93
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Jeez, fanbois cry moar? Just because my opinion is not yours, hey, time to beat the crap out of me? Yeah, now I remember why I avoid any threads about anything "shonen."

I would have liked an Adaptation Distillation reboot with ~39 episodes, increased production values, as many of the original voice cast as they can get and the original composer (or Yuki Kajiura... either/or).

That's what I'd like. It probably won't happen, it'll probably just be the Jinchuu arc, which, by itself would be pretty cool, but I think a complete remake would be even better. Especially a shorter one, that could be watched more than once and not feel like a tremendous slog.

And yes, I've watched many 13 and 26 episode series in my time, some with multiple seasons! It has nothing to do with my attention span being short. It's the same reason why I prefer 30 hour RPGs now to the massive 80-hour timesinks I used to play in high school.

I. Don't. Have. Time. For. That. Shit.

*facepalm*

Edit: I should also note that not once did I ever come on here and say some juvenile crap about your opinion sucking. I just expressed my own opinion.

Edit 2: Kaoru's new hairstyle strongly resembles Yomi Isayama's...
Old 2011-04-19, 03:22   Link #94
Ryuujin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
The sumo wrestler story is pure filler, as were the pirate, train hijack, circus and pretty much every other stupid and out of place episode you can think of.
I liked the pirate and train hijack episode (the latter largely because of Sanosuke's belief that the train couldn't be steam-powered and was in fact run by ghosts)...

Don't approach a goat from the front, a horse from the back, or a fool from any side.
"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way: brutally!"~Dinobot
Ryuujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 04:16   Link #95
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
I would have liked an Adaptation Distillation reboot with ~39 episodes, increased production values, as many of the original voice cast as they can get and the original composer (or Yuki Kajiura... either/or).
39 episodes probably wouldn't cut it for a remake.

Fullmetal Alchemist is 27 volumes long, and the 2009 anime felt too rushed at many points even though it was 64 episodes in length. In comparison, Rurouni Kenshin is 28 volumes long. I'd say 73 episodes would likely be an ideal length for a remake.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 04:53   Link #96
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:

I've never seen FMA characterized as anything but shounen. But for me, RK is absolutely the better work. FMA is damn good, but RK has more drama, emotion, pathos and the best central character in anime or manga. It's not about bashing FMA, which I love - that's just how much respect I have for RK.
I'll have to agree with it. Heartfully.

I need to elaborate why. I am at heart a history nerd (among other nerddoms). The catch for me is that Kenshin just doesn't use the Meiji era and the end of the Edo era as mere footnotes for the story, but it integrates their characters and histories well into the Greater History, they, and their conflicts, almost felt authentic, nevermind some of their techniques gets kinda crazy later on. The instant Saito Hajime appeared, I knew I got into something big. Ruroni Kenshin made me all the more curious about a part of the history of Japan I knew so little. In the same way the Band of the Hawks arc in Berserk made me more interested in the mechanism of court intrigue.

Addendum:

I am ALL for a proper adaptation of Jinchuu arc, with Nozomi Sasaki returning for his role as Enishi, please.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 05:11   Link #97
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I am ALL for a proper adaptation of Jinchuu arc, with Nozomi Sasaki returning for his role as Enishi, please.
You misunderstanding. It's Nozomu Sasaki, not Nozomi Sasaki. The first is a male voice actor, he's already voiced Yusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho while the latter is a female voice actress who's voiced Last Order from To Aru Majutsu no Index.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 06:40   Link #98
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I'll have to agree with it. Heartfully.

I need to elaborate why. I am at heart a history nerd (among other nerddoms). The catch for me is that Kenshin just doesn't use the Meiji era and the end of the Edo era as mere footnotes for the story, but it integrates their characters and histories well into the Greater History, they, and their conflicts, almost felt authentic, nevermind some of their techniques gets kinda crazy later on. The instant Saito Hajime appeared, I knew I got into something big. Ruroni Kenshin made me all the more curious about a part of the history of Japan I knew so little. In the same way the Band of the Hawks arc in Berserk made me more interested in the mechanism of court intrigue.

Addendum:

I agree that the aspect of RuroKen being set in the Meiji era making my interest in that part of Japanese history peak, I still prefer FMA for various reasons I won't state here for it would be off topic Saito Hajime did make this series for me tho, he's my favorite character here.

I do want a proper adaptation of the Jinchuu arc as well. We didn't really get enough of that with the OVA's, so it would be amazing to have that here.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 07:04   Link #99
Sage Shinigami

Send a message via AIM to Sage Shinigami Send a message via Yahoo to Sage Shinigami
Quote:
Jeez, fanbois cry moar? Just because my opinion is not yours, hey, time to beat the crap out of me? Yeah, now I remember why I avoid any threads about anything "shonen."

That's what I'd like. It probably won't happen, it'll probably just be the Jinchuu arc, which, by itself would be pretty cool, but I think a complete remake would be even better. Especially a shorter one, that could be watched more than once and not feel like a tremendous slog.

And yes, I've watched many 13 and 26 episode series in my time, some with multiple seasons! It has nothing to do with my attention span being short. It's the same reason why I prefer 30 hour RPGs now to the massive 80-hour timesinks I used to play in high school.

I. Don't. Have. Time. For. That. Shit.

*facepalm*

Then go sit through Battle Girls: Time Paradox or some other awful thirteen episode series. I'd rather have just the Jinchuu Arc animated than lose half the animated material just 'cause you want to be able to marathon a terrible version of Kenshin.

Anyway, Yu Yu Hakusho is one of the best manga to anime adaptations of all time with little filler or dragging, but it ran 20 volumes and translated into about 112 episodes. Even if you assume a lot of Kenshin is dialogue and therefore would run a little faster than that, RK's still eight volumes longer than Yu Yu Hakusho's manga.

I'm thinking Jinchuu Arc only is more feasible, otherwise 100 episodes for the full series.

Sidenote:

Quote:
I can't see Kenshin with today's Japanese music (e.g. UVERworld + Kenshin would make me vomit). The original openings and closings are forever engrained in my head.
UVERworld's not a bad band... (Would rather other people do the OP/ED though.) And to be honest, besides Heart of Sword and the original opening that I love almost entirely for nostalgic value and it's level of trolling...I really didn't like those openings, and the endings I barely remember.

Hmm...I need a new rendition of Heart of Sword for this. It's gotta happen.
Sage Shinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-19, 07:21   Link #100
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Quote:
.I need a new rendition of Heart of Sword for this. It's gotta happen.
Abingdon Boys School- Heart of Sword 2012 FTW

Tags
action, historical, shounen