AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-15, 04:12   Link #1001
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyCow View Post
Here are my thoughts of Vol 7 and Melancholy of Mikuru:

Spoiler for Thoughts:
Spoiler for Lots of details from Vol 7 and MoAM, and a possible "Eureka!" moment:
Old 2007-02-15, 04:49   Link #1002
HolyCow
Oyashiro-sama

Send a message via MSN to HolyCow
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Spoiler for Lots of details from Vol 7 and MoAM, and a possible "Eureka!" moment:

Spoiler for More thoughts:

Last edited by HolyCow; 2007-02-15 at 05:12.
Old 2007-02-15, 10:52   Link #1003
PastPrime

Quote:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-15, 10:58   Link #1004
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Here are my thoughts of Vol 7 and Melancholy of Mikuru:

Spoiler for Thoughts:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-15, 13:23   Link #1005
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime View Post
Quote:
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for more Vol 7 stuff:
Heh, this topic is quickly becoming useless to those who haven't read the translations...
Spoiler for regarding something from Vol 7:
Old 2007-02-15, 19:46   Link #1006
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Spoiler for more Vol 7 stuff:
Spoiler for a thought:
Old 2007-02-15, 22:17   Link #1007
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Spoiler for More "Sneering Bastard" comments:
Old 2007-02-15, 23:02   Link #1008
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Spoiler for More about volume 7:
Old 2007-02-16, 13:46   Link #1009
ordnance11

Well, that was a great belated Valentine's gift!. I enjoyed it a lot.

Do we need to keep the spoilers?

Anyway:

Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-16, 14:51   Link #1010
AcroDave
Go Chrome or Go Home

I know it’s not worth much, but just want to add my thanks for all the hard work from the translating team! You guys should add a ‘paypal donate’ button to the site (or better yet, a ‘I’ll give you $10 when you finish translating chapter x’ button). Just so those of us desperate for more story can add a little more… ‘incentive’.

Also have to say, Tanigawa Nagaru is a freaking genius. Just when you think he’s making it up as he goes along, you find some passage that just ties it all together. Each story by itself is great. But as each arc unfolds it keeps building on past events, and gets better and better. I constantly laugh out loud while reading, even though I’m sure a lot of the subtle humor gets lost in translation between Japanese - Chinese - English (no knock on the translating team. When I was watching a Haruhi video with my brother, he kept laughing at the subtle language jokes in the Japanese narrative, that didn’t carry over into the English subtitles). Can’t wait for volume 9.

Last edited by AcroDave; 2007-02-16 at 18:29.
Old 2007-02-16, 17:00   Link #1011
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

I agree with the praise for Tanigawa Nagaru. I'm amazed with how he can interweave all these seemingly disjunct stories into something brilliantly coherent. KyoAni did a good job simulating this effect with the episode shuffle.
Old 2007-02-16, 18:08   Link #1012
AcroDave
Go Chrome or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
KyoAni did a good job simulating this effect with the episode shuffle.
Even more impressive to me, is that they 'tweaked' the original material to make it even better. For example, in the novel, Kyon is a willing participant in the computer stealing incident, as Haruhi tells him what's going to happen to Mikuru ahead of time (kind of out of character). Also in lone island syndrome (novel), Itsuki basically explains the whole mystery right at the beginning, instead of Haruhi & Kyon figuring it out. KyoAni is really at the top of their game these days. Kind of spoils me for other anime.
Old 2007-02-16, 19:19   Link #1013
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordnance11 View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

On a side note, Koizumi's assertion in the anime about Kyon being a normal person might also well fall foul of his philosophizing of Haruhi's powers and creation of the world. Basically, he says that there's no proof (by definition) that the world was not created three years ago by Haruhi, because all the evidence can be altered or fabricated.

Similarly, there's no real proof that Kyon is a normal person, if he does have special powers, but believes himself to be normal.
Old 2007-02-16, 19:55   Link #1014
ordnance11

Quote:
Spoiler:

On a side note, Koizumi's assertion in the anime about Kyon being a normal person might also well fall foul of his philosophizing of Haruhi's powers and creation of the world. Basically, he says that there's no proof (by definition) that the world was not created three years ago by Haruhi, because all the evidence can be altered or fabricated.

Similarly, there's no real proof that Kyon is a normal person, if he does have special powers, but believes himself to be normal.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-16, 22:52   Link #1015
HolyCow
Oyashiro-sama

Send a message via MSN to HolyCow
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcroDave View Post
I know it’s not worth much, but just want to add my thanks for all the hard work from the translating team! You guys should add a ‘paypal donate’ button to the site (or better yet, a ‘I’ll give you $10 when you finish translating chapter x’ button). Just so those of us desperate for more story can add a little more… ‘incentive’.

Also have to say, Tanigawa Nagaru is a freaking genius. Just when you think he’s making it up as he goes along, you find some passage that just ties it all together. Each story by itself is great. But as each arc unfolds it keeps building on past events, and gets better and better. I constantly laugh out loud while reading, even though I’m sure a lot of the subtle humor gets lost in translation between Japanese - Chinese - English (no knock on the translating team. When I was watching a Haruhi video with my brother, he kept laughing at the subtle language jokes in the Japanese narrative, that didn’t carry over into the English subtitles). Can’t wait for volume 9.
Thanks a lot, but money + translation usually = copyright infringement, which tends to lead to lawsuits

Besides, most of us are just doing this in our free time to show our love for Haruhi
Old 2007-02-16, 23:27   Link #1016
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-17, 03:10   Link #1017
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordnance11 View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-17, 03:27   Link #1018
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Spoiler:
One thing we all need to realise... There are things time travellers do, and then there are things time travellers don't do. You can believe Kyon to be the real god all you like, even if I think it's a completely groundless idea. What I don't believe is that somehow Kyon need to be the god in order to be important.

Haruhi is in love with Kyon. This we know. The time travellers would also know this.

The time travellers, however, can't want to harm Kyon because they are not here to observe Haruhi. The diety-like Galactic Existences etc can afford to kill Kyon if they want to, because their existence isn't linked to Kyon's survival. But unless Kyon is suppose to be killed in their own time line, the time travellers risk annialating themselves in acting this drastically.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-17, 05:25   Link #1019
myopius

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Disappearance, Intrigues:

Thanks so much to all for discussing this so I can enjoy reading and thinking about the novels even when there's nothing more to read until the next update. I may edit this post with more to say tomorrow actually--there's one or two passages I think are worthy of discussion, in relation to Kyonism or Kyon being the slider.

Edit: Found it. Elaborating on what someone mentioned earlier, this entire passage seems to hint at "Kyonism", and the last few words directly muse upon the idea:
Spoiler for Volume 7 (Intrigues) Chapter 7:

And I looked all over for the section relevant to sliders but I couldn't find it--in one of the volumes, Koizumi says he has trouble making friends with sliders, or something very close to that.

Last edited by myopius; 2007-02-17 at 16:50.
Old 2007-02-17, 11:21   Link #1020
PastPrime

I had a thought.
Spoiler:
Closed Thread