AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-11-14, 09:50   Link #1081
IntoTheAbyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
One? You don't even know what you're talking about...
Maybe one day you'll also realize that endless mini game collections, ports, half assed on-rails shooters, games that focus on wiimote gimmicks (which half of the time don't work correctly except for the pointer) and games that last 3 hours with no replayability (and which you have to pay full price for) aren't exactly good.

@MushroomSamba: Oh right, I forgot Twilight Princess. I never expected anything out of it since it was my first Zelda game and that's why it ended up becoming my favorite. It's a good thing not to place your expectations too high.
IntoTheAbyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 14:42   Link #1082
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides
Other news for people in PAL-land
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World is out
Is it really out, or do you think it is out? The EU release date is a source of mild frustration for me. The official page for the game is the only official source, and it listed November 2009 as the date. Today it lists a series of zeroes. All the mentions of the date of 13 November were by third parties.

What's even weirder is that GamePlay.co.uk, the online store I usually order from, never had an entry for the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheAbyss
Maybe one day you'll also realize that endless mini game collections, ports, half assed on-rails shooters, games that focus on wiimote gimmicks (which half of the time don't work correctly except for the pointer) and games that last 3 hours with no replayability (and which you have to pay full price for) aren't exactly good.
Maybe one day you will learn that there are many Wii games that don't subscribe to the above.
Old 2009-11-14, 15:02   Link #1083
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheAbyss View Post

@MushroomSamba: Oh right, I forgot Twilight Princess. I never expected anything out of it since it was my first Zelda game and that's why it ended up becoming my favorite. It's a good thing not to place your expectations too high.
You just proved your ignorance beyond compare. Your half assed attempt to defame and troll fails.

You probably don't even own a Wii let alone played one for more than 5 mins.

Rune Factory Fronter ( Most addicting RPG:Sim ever )
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
CoD: World at War ( Will make you never want to play an FPS with a controller again )
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Mad World
No More Heroes
Metroid Prime 3
Zelda Twilight Princess
Dead Space Extraction
Muramasa
Cursed Mountain
Conduit
Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Mario Galaxy.

And many more, especially down the pipeline. Like...

Red Steel 2
Monster Hunter Tri
Tales of Graces
Arc Rise Fantasia
Monado: Beginning of the World
Fragile Dreams
etc, etc, etc
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 15:23   Link #1084
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
Is it really out, or do you think it is out? The EU release date is a source of mild frustration for me. The official page for the game is the only official source, and it listed November 2009 as the date. Today it lists a series of zeroes. All the mentions of the date of 13 November were by third parties.

What's even weirder is that GamePlay.co.uk, the online store I usually order from, never had an entry for the game.

Maybe one day you will learn that there are many Wii games that don't subscribe to the above.
Yup, recevied it today, from shopto. But it was released yesterday. However just like Murasame, it seems that retailers didn't ordered a large supply of it. Similar thing happened to Valkyria Chronicles, Another Code: R, Hotel Dusk, Phoenix Wright and other titles targetted at a niche audience, until ofcourse the demand for those titles exploded.

There you go, an image of my copy
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 15:35   Link #1085
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheAbyss View Post

You know what is funny I don't have any of those types of game on my Wii (well expect Mario Party 8 which was bought by my sister, would have better if she got something like NMH ).
Maybe you will realize that someday that all consoles are good, all of them have great games, and all of them are fun to play in one way or another.
Old 2009-11-14, 17:22   Link #1086
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

I wouldn't say that guy is right about the Wii being a total crapfest sytem, but as an owner of all three "next gen" consoles, I have to admit the it IS the weakest of the trio for me. Obviously, it comes down to personal preference on what kind of games you like, but there really isn't much that stand out to me.

- Rune Factory Fronter - never played, doesn't really look like the game for me.
- Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - One of my ALL-TIME faves.
- CoD: World at War - Controller doesn't make up for the subpar graphics compared to other consoles. All console versions are vastly inferior to PC version, imo, which is the best way to play FPS games.
- Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World - never played, but really want to.
- Mad World - Nice art direction and funny gore, but gameplay got way repetitive...which says alot considering the game is only like 6-7 hours long. I believe being a "niche" game isn't the ONLY reason it didn't sell well...
- No More Heroes - Fun, but not great. I think it gets a little overhyped because it tries to be something different.
- Metroid Prime 3 - FANTASTIC.
- Zelda Twilight Princess - Good, but not previous Zelda games great. The Wii controls were actually pretty annoying to play this with.
- Dead Space Extraction - Played a little bit of it, but enjoyable. I know they're different kind of games, but the Dead Space on other consoles were better games.
- Muramasa - Haven't played yet, but really want to.
- Cursed Mountain - never played it, but reviews don't make it sound all that great.
- Conduit - Your list lost a lot of cred when I saw this here. As an avid FPS fan, this game was a BIG letdown. I was expecting it to be the one to open the gates for Wii in that genre, and it fell on its face.
- Smash Bros. Brawl - don't own it, but played it alot. Very fun party game.
- Super Mario Galaxy - Good game, but I unfairly rate this a bit low, mainly because I don't think any of the 3D games match the quality of the 2D sidescrollers of NES days.

One game you didn't mention was Okami, which is flatout brilliant if you've never played it on the PS2 (which I already have). It's way better than Twilight Princess. The only new game I'm looking forward to at the moment is NSMB.

I think the main reason I don't like the system AS MUCH as the other systems, is because the lack of games that I feel are "complete". Most Wii games do feel gimmicky or are intended as quick diversions - which are absolutely fine if that's what you want - but I put a higher grade on games that feel more like an "event" rather than a light-hearted way to burn a few minutes. Again, nothing wrong with either type...just personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Maybe you will realize that someday that all consoles are good, all of them have great games, and all of them are fun to play in one way or another.
This. The whole console flamewar is just silly. Just play what you like.

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 17:31   Link #1087
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

I do agree that FPS are best played on the PC, but I haven't really got into PC FPS since Tactical OPs.

Well I enjoyed Conduit, so did many people I've spoke with. I guess its a matter of opinion on that.

Even though Okami was an excellent port, It's still a port nonetheless. The game itself didn't captivate me as much as it did some others.

Well since you prefer Mario as a side scroller your dream has come true since a The New Super Mario Bros. come out this monday.
Old 2009-11-14, 17:33   Link #1088
MushroomSamba
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Well since you prefer Mario as a side scroller your dream has come true since a The New Super Mario Bros. come out this monday.
Yep! I mentioned that in my previous post. Hopefully, this'll be a recurring trend. =)

From Nintendo's standpoint, it really should. Cheap to make + Sells like hotcakes + Makes fans happy = Win, win for all.

MushroomSamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-14, 17:36   Link #1089
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushroomSamba View Post
Yep! I mentioned that in my previous post. Hopefully, this'll be a recurring trend. =)

From Nintendo's standpoint, it really should. Cheap to make + Sells like hotcakes + Makes fans happy = Win, win for all.
I don't know about being cheap. It's still 3D in the sense that all the assetts are 3D models. I'm pretty sure the production cost is still the same. But in house development is always cheaper than for 3rd party development since theres the cost of licensing and publishing they need to worry about on top of production costs.
Old 2009-11-15, 10:36   Link #1090
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides
There you go, an image of my copy
Thanks. So that's the final box art, huh? I prefer the ones from the other regions... :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by MushroomSamba
CoD: World at War - Controller doesn't make up for the subpar graphics compared to other consoles.
No one in their right mind cares about the quality of graphics versus other consoles. Come on.
Quote:
Cheap to make + Sells like hotcakes + Makes fans happy = Win, win for all.
Graphics are not the only thing that money gets spent on. Think design.
Old 2009-11-15, 11:26   Link #1091
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

The lack of Little King Story on the earlier list made me cry on the inside a little.
Old 2009-11-20, 10:56   Link #1092
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety View Post
The lack of Little King Story on the earlier list made me cry on the inside a little.
Little King Story is awesome no doubt. I noticed that experimental games are having a hard time for all current consoles. It seems only established concepts are selling well, even if some of them are purely trash.
And i don't think it really help that some retailers drop the price of these niche titles even before they were released. I don't complain about the price, the less the price the more games for me, however i do think that casual gamers will view those under RRP titles as shovelware, which contribues to the lack of interest generally towards new game concepts or new IPs.

So what has been released this week:

JPN
Taiko no Tatsujin Wii Dodoon to 2 Yome!
Calling: Kuroki Chakushin

EURO
New Super Mario Brothers
PES 2010

NA
New Super Mario Brothers
Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles
Naruto Shippuden: Clash of Ninja Revolution III
PES 2010
Kamen Rider Dragon Knight
Old 2009-11-20, 14:26   Link #1093
ZeroForever

Niche/New IP's can do just fine on other consoles... ex- Demon souls, Bayonetta. (though plenty fail like mirrors edge but that happens regardless)
New IP's on Wii just have a bad rep due to the excessive amounts of shovel ware so people just stopped buying them even if there good and if it's on another console the other consoles version is almost always better.

Okami is amazing... but honestly the PS2 version i thought was better... the wii controls made me want to gouge my eyes out at times playing the game, seriously using the mirror weapon type on the wii was painful to the point i just avoided them.

Admittedly i am excited for the new tatsunoko vs Capcom game... it may actually be enough to push me to dust off my wii... though that will really depends on if the online vs mode is any good.
Old 2009-11-20, 16:20   Link #1094
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroForever View Post
Niche/New IP's can do just fine on other consoles... ex- Demon souls, Bayonetta. (though plenty fail like mirrors edge but that happens regardless)
Bayonetta has a more or less a proven concept, with a well known dev team behind it. I'm talking about things like mirrors edge. Even Demon's souls wasn't really that successful. It is just hard to make a commercially successful title these days. But that is a not only a gaming issue. Take for example the music industrie, people nowadays have to sell far more less records to become number one.
But then again you have titles like Professor layton and Inazuma Eleven which did make it big. I think Wii, 360 and PS3 titles have a too high lists price set by the publishers, which is one of the biggest issue in this generation. If i see how ps3, 360 and wii titles do make a high volume number sale in a week, it is mostly due to retailers dropping the price for them.
Btw i'm not sure, but the Wii does seem to have big piracy issues and unlike 360, nintendo doesn't seem to know what is the best way to stop it.
Old 2009-11-20, 17:13   Link #1095
ZeroForever

Demon Souls is quite successful as it was a little know new IP with 0 ad's that has managed to sell in the 100k+ range just on reviews and word of mouth.

true also on piracy but honestly it's gotten to the point that while it is an issue the effects of it aren't nearly as drastic as gaming companies make it out to be.
Old 2009-11-20, 19:46   Link #1096
Sides

Quote:
Demon Souls is quite successful as it was a little know new IP with 0 ad's that has managed to sell in the 100k+ range just on reviews and word of mouth.
Demon's Souls is more or less the successs to king's field to begin with and most fans knew about it. I still don't think it is a because it is a good game, that it eventually sold over 150k in japan. It was one of the few good (RPG) games on the PS3 at that time. If it was launched later i really doubt that it would have sold that much.

Quote:
true also on piracy but honestly it's gotten to the point that while it is an issue the effects of it aren't nearly as drastic as gaming companies make it out to be.
Come on i just check out a tracker and over 10000 people are leeching dragon age and i would say that is a lot, and does affect companies. Considering that some people still use usenet and other file sharing programs their must be at least thousands download each day for every single title released on any plattform till now.
Old 2009-11-21, 08:14   Link #1097
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

When piracy gets too easy to do, many stop buying games and copy them instead.
Old 2009-11-22, 21:00   Link #1098
Eva-Beatrice

Sorry this is off-topic but i'd rather buy my games from a game store than actual download them via a torrent file because alot of them are too big and don't come with manuals.When it comes to music or movies I don't mind downloading them via torrent but when it comes to games I prefer spending the $50 or $60 on them, and this applies to all platforms.
Eva-Beatrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-23, 10:03   Link #1099
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

And if you wait a couple months to half a year, you can get the games cheaper!
Old 2009-11-23, 12:11   Link #1100
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

I do not pirate video games on game consoles because not only it have legal issues, but I perfer having the actual disk of the game and I usually look at reviews of games before buying it. Of course you can get them cheaper, second hand at a used game dealer like GameStop instead of resorting to piracy and console updates usually break it anyways, so it's not worth it.

Probably the Playstation 3 is the safest from all the piracy since it's not really possible to make a copy of a PS3 game because of the protection and also the size of the disk which requires a blu-ray disc which are expensive.

Tags
console, wii