AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 24 Rating
Perfect 10 152 58.24%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 60 22.99%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 7.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 6.90%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 3.07%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 1.15%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-16, 13:50   Link #81
radancein

Warui kedo..

Never played the game and never watched Toei's version. So is there a kind soul who can give a brief explanation of the missing clock scene and reason of Nayuki's sleepiness? Have been avoiding spoilers in the past episode threads, and will be difficult to search through them to find the answers.
Old 2007-03-16, 13:53   Link #82
Grey

Hmmm. I found this final episode to be strangely flat. Rather than heartwarming I could summarize my emotional response as, 'ah, so they really do all recover'.

I guess maybe I find things a bit too rushed? I find myself wishing that Yuuichi had an inner monologue/narration that set the tone and final thoughts on the entire experience. In fact, several times I wished that the show used a narration of Yuuichi's thoughts to set the tone on certain matters, because otherwise I find myself empathetically disconnected from him.

Still, a fun series, all-in-all. Time for me to start peering at the game's story.
Old 2007-03-16, 13:53   Link #83
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
Didn't Sayuri meet Ayu at the beginning of episode 16 in the hospital? From what I recall, both Yuuichi and Ayu went to visit her and Mai in the hospital.

Heh, I find it amusing how Ayu is the only girl to have met every other girl. Makoto and Shiori never met, Mai and Shiori never met, and Nayuki and Mai never met.
Actually, Nayuki and Mai did meet, but only once, and that's in the game.

With reference to the game:

Nayuki
Ayu - a no brainer, of course they met
Makoto - also a no brainer
Shiori - met once and had a chat in the cafe (adapted into the birthday party scene)
Mai - met for one scene

Makoto
Nayuki - pretty obvious
Ayu - only in anime
Shiori - never met
Mai - in one scene only

Shiori
Nayuki - see above
Ayu - met many times
Makoto - never met
Mai - never met

Mai
Nayuki - see above
Ayu - only in anime
Shiori - never met
Makoto - see above

Ayu
Nayuki - pretty obvious
Makoto - only in anime
Shiori - many times
Mai - only in anime
Old 2007-03-16, 13:57   Link #84
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

meh... everyone forgot when nayuki fell on Sayuri and Mai, in the second episode? ^^" (except if i mistook kinny's words about the "one scene from the game" ~~)
Old 2007-03-16, 14:06   Link #85
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Oh yeah, you're right. But they barely talked or anything, and as far as I know Nayuki was never aware that Yuuichi was friends with Mai and Sayuri, so I'm gonna ignore it. ^_^
Old 2007-03-16, 14:47   Link #86
SSJiffy
AWWWSOME

I don't find this episode to be lacking since my love of story supersedes the fanboyism cursing through me. The closure provided was better than I was expecting ; having not ever heard nor seen Kanon before 2k6.

Truth be told I was a rock throughout most of the sadder moments of the series. I enjoyed watching this series and look forward to Clannad.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-16, 14:59   Link #87
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Hm... saying i was not slightly disappointed with the ep would be lying If there was one thing that was lacking it was atmosphere for some part. Some scenes simply lacked kick. Like Akiko's explanation about Ayu being alive for example.

First half of the ep felt rushed, and they were skimming trough seasons like mad Though i don't mind the change of seasons, and it was nice to see things turning back to normal. Kudos for the Nayuki / Yuuichi conversation in school - a nice touch with the "I can eat mom's jam whenever i want, right ?" - nice to see some aftershock of the accident still being there

But i have to admit - it almost felt like different series with all the positivity in the air In last few (or not so few) weeks the atmosphere has been really heavy. In fact, it has been so heavy the sudden change came almost as shocking As in - was it really that depressing up until now ? ^__^

The change was so noticeable i felt like slapping myself for not noticing the heavy atmosphere that had started to seem like the norm ever since Mai's arc. The descend to a darker mood was blended in perfectly trough the show... to the point i had almost forgotten this show had a light mood at the start, and took the heavy atmosphere for granted. A very good job with building the atmosphere up until now - constantly piling it up, little by little and changing it subtly, instead of dropping a change on us via some incident.

Shiori / Yuuichi reunion scene was nicely done. It was just like i was imagining it would be (under the assumption we would be getting one) - with Yuuichi handing out some half-sarcastic comment and Shiori replying with her trademark line... and an emotional moment following afterwards

It was nice that Ayu didn't wake up just as she was found >.< I was expecting Yuuichi walking in, kneel down beside her, mutter some magical words and Ayu opening her eyes Glad to see that didn't happen.

That said - finding the headband still there after 7 years was a bit hard to swallow Or did Mai The Prophet had a hand in this ? (you don't have to answer to the last sentence).

++ points for showing them taking care of the comatose Ayu. Must be a first in anime. Also + points for Ayu in wheelchair, instead of having her running around on her own.

Looks like Nayuki is back to the supporting and caring girl. *sigh*. She needs some love - she can't just be running around dishing it out without receiving any herself for too long, can she ?

Still can't make heads or tails concerning Ayu's deus ex machine - exactly how was she capable of granting those wishes ? Unless Ayu's dream world had somehow merged with reality, thus giving her "control" over how certain events unfold... without her realizing it - simply wishing for Yuuichi to be happy, and thus the world evolved according to that wish (Shiori getting better, Akiko surviving etc...)

Mishio deserved more than 3 seconds of screentime T.T (in fact she didn't deserve to be forgotten after Makoto's arc)

Ayu with long hair = win
Ayu with short hair = bleh

Overall a very good finish, even if it lacked spark at some moments, and i am sure it is not going to leave an aftertaste in my mouth. Felt a tad more forgettable than i wanted to ^__^.

All is good that ends good
... feels like around 8.5... thus i am voting 9/10

Last edited by Skyfall; 2007-03-16 at 18:09.
Old 2007-03-16, 15:51   Link #88
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
++ points for showing them taking care of the comatose Ayu. Must be a first in anime.
I can't help but think of...
Spoiler for another bishoujo/eroge-based anime:
And also, the point about the change in atmosphere was interesting. The gradual build-up followed by the sudden switch was definitely on purpose. I'd also be interested in seeing how people's feelings about the last episode and the series in general change after re-watching the entire show in one pass, as I think it'd help connect a lot of dots for some. Anyway, interesting opinions all around.
Old 2007-03-16, 16:41   Link #89
Rengemaru
Mad Scientist

To make it short, it didn't beat AIR but it has became 2nd to it. Although it didn't stir as much emotions as the 2k3 version. But we should keep in mind that these kinda emotions only build up when watching a story for the 1st time otherwise, it won't be as doki doki as it supposed to be. Keeping that in mind, we 2nd timers shouldn't rate the 2k6 ver. while comparing it to the 2k3 ver. because the emotion factor will mess up the whole equation.

I think it's better to hear the openion of close friends whom watched it for the 1st time to get a good understanding of the feelings the last episode built up. For I didn't get that much emotions as I expected. So it's up to the 1st timers to decide!

But in general, another masterpiece from Key and KyoAni. Cheers! (wait isn't this Skane's line?)

PS: Mai + glasses = heart goes doki doki
Old 2007-03-16, 16:54   Link #90
Codine

Wow what a happy ending...everybody got better and life continues on. I was thinking that the final episode was going to be heartbreaking but i was wrong. Now i have to find a new anime to watch every week
Old 2007-03-16, 17:03   Link #91
SealedTears
<3 lucy ~Elf Song~

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited by SealedTears; 2007-03-16 at 17:15.
Old 2007-03-16, 17:27   Link #92
Freeter
beyond

Being a first-timer to Kanon, I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed Kyoani's rendition. They did a decent job of bringing all the girls' storylines together (having Yuuichi run around like a player didn't hurt either ), and there were lots of comedic and moe moments to be had.

Spoiler:

Nonetheless, this ep was a solid finish, and seeing Yuuichi's harem taking turns spending time with Ayu was great. Can't wait for CLANNAD.
Old 2007-03-16, 17:35   Link #93
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
The AIR in Summer OVAs weren't "closure" OVAs, they were "in-depth" OVAs.

There's still a chance yet.
That's because having 13 episodes for AIR was such a mistake --- even 26 episodes with a well-written script would be barely enough. I won't insist that there won't be an OVA for Kanon, but I seriously don't suggest you to look forward to one.
Old 2007-03-16, 17:45   Link #94
rogueblade

Wow.
Just...wow.

Single most heartwarming thing i've seen in bloody months. I love how Kyoani skipped straight to spring so we just saw the results and how things had progressed, rather than wait for them on tenderhooks.
But, to be honest, it was just a happy ending. I actually said "wow" when i saw Shiori back - it was such a surprise! I had written her off the previous episode. Still not 100% on what happened after Yuiichi rediscovered the headband and before the adult-Ayu scene, not sure on what that symbolised. Is that Ayu dreaming the scene, or what?

I have loved the series. It was enjoyable from beginning to finish, and didn't have a duffer episode in there - it does seeem that what whatever KyoAni touch, turns to gold. Anyway, with that i delete all Kanon episodes from my HDD, to make space for any new anime that catches my fancy. So, Higurashi 2/Haruhi 2/ Clannad it is then.
Old 2007-03-16, 18:08   Link #95
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

I've got a question about this episode, actually...

Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-16, 18:12   Link #96
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
That's because having 13 episodes for AIR was such a mistake --- even 26 episodes with a well-written script would be barely enough. I won't insist that there won't be an OVA for Kanon, but I seriously don't suggest you to look forward to one.
Didn't stop them from sticking 2 recaps in those 13 eps though
Old 2007-03-16, 18:19   Link #97
Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
I've got a question about this episode, actually...

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-16, 18:29   Link #98
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

hmm, i feel like now is where the real story begins... i mean he didnt actually pick a girl yet. of course, he kissed ayu and said he loves her, but also he married makoto and also said the same to her and mai. This is where the heart breaking and love triangles begin... i really hope for more of kanon to cover this part up

anywho, i felt that this epi was kinda out of place... i guess i was looking forward to more deaths and tregedies. ah well, i prefer this kind of ending anyways xD
Old 2007-03-16, 18:31   Link #99
EadTaes
The Northern Guy

Send a message via AIM to EadTaes Send a message via MSN to EadTaes
A Happy End to a very tragic story that cause many tears. How ever as much as i liked episode 24 i am not satisfied with it yet. It probably should have been a 1 hour special to be able to go in more in depth as to the recoveries of the characters and ofve the reasons why. but still a very good series. Get and orver mark ofve 9.5/10. Not a masterpeice but prety close.
Old 2007-03-16, 18:32   Link #100
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolinx View Post
hmm, i feel like now is where the real story begins... i mean he didnt actually pick a girl yet. of course, he kissed ayu and said he loves her, but also he married makoto and also said the same to her and mai. This is where the heart breaking and love triangles begin... i really hope for more of kanon to cover this part up
Yuuichi "married" makoto, because it was her wish, though she didn't know the romantic part of it.
as for mai's case, we can safely say yuuichi used the word "like" in its generic term, especially that he added "sayuri" in the same sentence.
Quote:
anywho, i felt that this epi was kinda out of place... i guess i was looking forward to more deaths and tregedies. ah well, i prefer this kind of ending anyways xD
as stated earlier by a lot of people, Kanon is much more a fairy tale, instead of a drama/tragedy like AIR.