AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

View Poll Results: Spice and Wolf - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 48 47.06%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 30 29.41%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 15.69%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 4.90%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.98%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.96%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-20, 23:26   Link #81
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masanori Ota View Post
As opposed to what?

Your joke, you lost me.
That's because the "joke" was as lame as people who laugh when someone says "tool". .....
Old 2008-03-20, 23:37   Link #82
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Mmm nice episode, wonder if she knows who the other wolf-god/spirit is. Mmm Romerio double cross eh! Interesting interesting, run Nora, run.

Such a pity the next one is the last. For now at least.
Old 2008-03-21, 00:14   Link #83
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Mmm nice episode, wonder if she knows who the other wolf-god/spirit is. Mmm Romerio double cross eh! Interesting interesting, run Nora, run.

Such a pity the next one is the last. For now at least.
Well don't think she knows the guy. Since he's a 'youngster' and she's been in that village for quite a while. Anyone she knew would be smart enough not to go and pick a fight with her like this .
Old 2008-03-21, 00:29   Link #84
ApostleOfGod
^.^

I have a feeling Horo is going to be badly hurt and Nora will be the savior of the day.

This episode was really good.
Too bad Spice and Wolf has only one more...

Both arcs end with Horo transforming once

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
Old 2008-03-21, 01:29   Link #85
Codine

I bet Horo's power level is over 9000.
Old 2008-03-21, 01:45   Link #86
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Yeah I figure that to FlareKnight, would have been nice though if it was a 'irresponsible younger sibling' though.
Old 2008-03-21, 02:36   Link #87
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Rated an 8.... I enjoyed the hell out of it -- but it simply is 30 minutes too short They really miscalculated, especially when I compare this stuff to the nonsense that gets 24 episodes.
Old 2008-03-21, 05:52   Link #88
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ open ended means potential season 2! ^^

The journey has just begun (bla bla).

Right finally rewatched with the subs. I found it more interesting that the dog was smart enough to not blow Horo's cover. The scene where she expresses her hatred on such a smart dog was pretty amusing. Horo is a barrel full of emotions which makes her so lovable (someone should make a collarge of the 12 phases to Horo).

Seems like words won't stop the young'un from showing their ego. I wonder if the big ookami is just looking for a fight or for a mate

Giving this ep 8/10 for enjoyment ^^

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2008-03-21, 07:50   Link #89
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Horo voice was freakin badass when she told that little whelp of a pup to "Stand down" the only thing that would have cooler is if she would said "stand the $%*! down"

Im really sadden its almost over its been a sweet ride and Horo Lawrence have been added to my favorite character list. I dont give a damn how big that other wolf is Horo is going to own his ass, hes still a pup compared to her and she knows that too look at how fast his bared his fangs at her. What i really want to know is what they talked about, anyone have an idea?

Lawrence being betrayed was pretty predictable everything was going to well I saw that coming a mile away. What did surprise me was they were going to go after Nora that poor girl has suffered so much. Im hoping her dog doesnt try to protect her and gets killed thats really her only friend it would be too sad. In the end it looks Horo is going to have save Lawrence and god do i feel bad for those guys if Horo catches them.

anyone notice that Horo did not give Lawrence some grain to hold on to this time when they parted. Is this a bad sign or an oversight?
Old 2008-03-21, 09:08   Link #90
seaghyn16
Translator Level 4/10

Okay, three posts that actually made me laugh. They were good, so I'm just gonna repost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring
Don't be too optimistic, after all this anime is on air at 1:30AM on a UHF channel.
Hahahaha, that's promising for a second season =). Part two to what made me laugh...hard....was thinking of Wierd Al Yankovich playing George in a movie that was entitled, UHF. The funny thing was, the "little" UHF station beat number 1 news station. So back to being optimistic! YAY UHF!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
That's because the "joke" was as lame as people who laugh when someone says "tool". .....
I don't know...I didn't get the joke too well, but your comparison to "tool..." made me think of two things. first thing, hahaha, thats funny. and I laughed...hard. 2nd, fairly odd parents when cozmo cracks up hearing "pudding...." sorry for the kid nick show, but I like it =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codine
I bet Horo's power level is over 9000.
hahaha....the repetative sparta "it's over 9000! again and again...then I had a flashback of the Yu-Gi-Oh days....the 9000 made me smile =)
Old 2008-03-21, 09:08   Link #91
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I really don't think marring her dignity with profanity would have made the scene any cooler. "Stand down" was perfect.

And those guys will go after anyone who can't look after himself. Lawrence, Nora... they're alone and friendless. Though I guess they won't go after Nora until she's safely out of town.
Old 2008-03-21, 09:15   Link #92
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I really don't think marring her dignity with profanity would have made the scene any cooler. "Stand down" was perfect.
I agree. I think profanity is something that Horo has no need to use.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2008-03-21, 09:36   Link #93
mikesince83
AnimeSuki Freshman

Wolf and Cloak

I doubt Sinestra was speaking literally there.

Here's a cap of the last scene...some interesting symbolism and foreshadowing in the way Horo's cloak is arranged:

Spoiler for episode 12:
Old 2008-03-21, 10:44   Link #94
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

And those guys will go after anyone who can't look after himself. Lawrence, Nora... they're alone and friendless. Though I guess they won't go after Nora until she's safely out of town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I agree. I think profanity is something that Horo has no need to use.
No i was not talking in a literal sense Horo's speech is way to elegant for that. What i meant was the tone of her voice when she was saying "STAND DOWN". It was so forceful and honestly very alpha female/male like i could picture a profane word in there to give it that extra sternness. Not that i would condone it nor do i think it would be necessary , thats all i was saying.

Oh and mikesince83 whats your take on Horo not giving Lawrence any grain to take with him as they parted? In every other tight spot when they were forced to separate she gave him a handful of grain.
Old 2008-03-21, 11:14   Link #95
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Perhaps the grain issue is a level of security between the two? Or was it a tactical error?

As for the "stand down" directive... that's one of the inadequacies of English. It is difficult to buff up a stern directive without profanity. Only the tonality communicates, which is a fail if the target is bad at picking up such clues. I tend to be fairly quiet spoken when I'm about to lay waste to someone --- some pick up the clue... some don't. Japanese actually builds the imperative command form into the grammar itself so there's no mistake at all.
Old 2008-03-21, 12:17   Link #96
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Perhaps the grain issue is a level of security between the two? Or was it a tactical error?

As for the "stand down" directive... that's one of the inadequacies of English. It is difficult to buff up a stern directive without profanity. Only the tonality communicates, which is a fail if the target is bad at picking up such clues. I tend to be fairly quiet spoken when I'm about to lay waste to someone --- some pick up the clue... some don't. Japanese actually builds the imperative command form into the grammar itself so there's no mistake at all.
I see what your saying i have studying Japanese for about a year now and i have noticed that as well. I am pretty much like you i am fairly quiet and kind of sarcastic before im getting ready to destroy a person mental state. I just really liked the tone Horo used when said it plus combined with 7.1 surround speaker it came out quite loud lol
Old 2008-03-21, 12:22   Link #97
mikesince83
AnimeSuki Freshman

A little grain goes a long way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I tend to believe it was the former although there seems to be more to it than a security measure. The grain is clearly important to her, so in a way it could be a form of intimate nonverbal communication wherein she's conveying that she'll be back. If nothing else, it could always function as a keepsake if something (God forbid) ever happened to Horo.
Old 2008-03-21, 12:58   Link #98
Xacual

See in my mind I thought Lawrence had not given her back the grain she had given him before. I had just assumed that she had given him it because of their present emergency at the time and for any future problems that might arise. Did it ever show him giving it back to her in the anime or novels?

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2008-03-21, 13:12   Link #99
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Do believe that Horo just didn't think it was necessary. Last time she gave him some grain to hold onto the situation was pretty chaotic. Being on the run and hard to say what would happen. Horo is probably much more confident about this one. Plus she doesn't need the grain as insurance here, she will be back. Did leave him the cloak at least to reflect that.

Whole stand down thing was just impressive. That one wolf really learned not to get Horo angry. Had a great sense of intimidation and just reflecting how much power she really does have. Not to mention the eyes were great in that moment as well.
Old 2008-03-21, 13:38   Link #100
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I didn't really see it as "intimidation" and that's why I think profanity would have marred the scene. When you think about it, profanity, blusters, they're signs of weakness. Like a frog blowing itself like a balloon to make itself look bigger, what they really show is that you'd really rather not fight.

I took the scene as a quiet statement of Horo's power relative to the simple wolf. Instinct did the rest. While a human may mistake quietness for weakness, a wolf won't.

She didn't have to make herself look bigger, or angry, or more dangerous than she really was. She just had to let the mask fall a bit and let the wolf know that if he went on, there'd be trouble.
Closed Thread