AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-16, 22:07   Link #1
Jsamano

2006-2007 intellectually provoking anime?

I just finished Ergo Proxy tonight. It was very confusing but I liked it. I also enjoyed Noein which I finished maybe 6 months ago. Anyway I'm looking for some "thinking anime" that came out pretty recent. If not, then somthing with awesome character development, people I can get attached to.

Thanks for all the reccomendations in advance.
Old 2007-04-16, 22:21   Link #2
flou
That's no lady

Try Bokurano, it's pretty complex (note: it just started so it hasn't gone very far into the story yet)
Old 2007-04-16, 22:23   Link #3
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Eureka SeveN has pretty good character development, and a pretty good story too...personally i didnt like the mechs at all but the story made up for it

Code Geass is probably one of the best in terms of character development

I cant remember anything that is as confusing as Ergo Proxy....closest i can think of is Ghost Hunt, but most of it is supernatual stuff than thinking...
Old 2007-04-16, 22:28   Link #4
zalem

I agree with the above poster, in terms of character development I think Code Geass is quite excellent. Though I wouldn't say it's a "thinking" anime. It has its serious moments, but it has silly ones too. Heh, but that's what I like about it.

[edit] Though shouldn't this be in the general anime section? Just thought it was kind of odd to find it here.
Old 2007-04-16, 22:43   Link #5
Jsamano

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalem View Post
I agree with the above poster, in terms of character development I think Code Geass is quite excellent. Though I wouldn't say it's a "thinking" anime. It has its serious moments, but it has silly ones too. Heh, but that's what I like about it.

[edit] Though shouldn't this be in the general anime section? Just thought it was kind of odd to find it here.
Maybe, I dunno I don't wanna throw in the "i'm new" card. BUT, I am looking for somthing fansubbed so I can own it via torrent, so maybe this is the approprate section.
Old 2007-04-16, 23:05   Link #6
7Th
Mixtape

Ignore the Geass suggestions, the anime is really fun because of it's trashy storyline and idiotic characters, theres no real development or thought-provoking concepts inside it. You may take the Bokurano mentioned above, so far it's a perfect adaptation of a great existential human-tragedy manga, which at least manages to keep itself interesting through.
Old 2007-04-16, 23:14   Link #7
Koroku
formerly JKaizer
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Koroku Send a message via MSN to Koroku Send a message via Yahoo to Koroku
Bartender
Old 2007-04-16, 23:16   Link #8
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
Wrong place. But don't worry, the moderators here are good. For future references, go to the suggestions subforum.

click me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th
Ignore the Geass suggestions, the anime is really fun because of it's trashy storyline and idiotic characters, theres no real development or thought-provoking concepts inside it. You may take the Bokurano mentioned above, so far it's a perfect adaptation of a great existential human-tragedy manga, which at least manages to keep itself interesting through.
I sense a flame war coming.
Old 2007-04-16, 23:17   Link #9
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
Ignore the Geass suggestions, the anime is really fun because of it's trashy storyline and idiotic characters, theres no real development or thought-provoking concepts inside it.
I'll second that

For 2006, I would say...

Zegapain * (though it does not appear so for the first 3 episodes)

Thought-provoking, but with a foot in the horror/mystery genre:
Higurashi*
Monster
Death Note*

All three are quite thought-provoking, to the point that you have to sometimes stop between episodes and try to put the pieces together.

Loli action:
Gunslinger Girl

For 2007... probably Darker than Black*

Prior to these...
I suggest 12 Kingdoms.

Possibly Mushishi, but I've only seen episode 1.

Koi Kaze

I put an asterisk by the ones that I think are legally available on torrent (check the licensed list to make sure). All of them are much more than surface level.

P.S. I watched about 18 episodes of Eureka 7, waiting for it to get good, and... I never found any depth, and I can safely say I thought it was simply bad. I hear there are thought-provoking revelations toward the end or something, but the first half was basically "Dudes on surfboards" + angst.
Old 2007-04-16, 23:43   Link #10
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Definitely Mushishi, if it fits your timeline restrictions. Noein was a good choice for you - incredibly intellectually dense and daring. I recommend Death Note, but I don't really think it fits your first requirement - it's basically a fun, trashy, simplistic snuff-thriller masquerading as an intellectually challenging drama. Still, it has some good character development.

On that front, it's hard to imagine a series with better character development than Bokura Ga Ita. It drove me crazy at times, but I've never been more emotionally involved. I second the Higurashi recommendation, because for all it's faults it is one that requires a lot of intellectual participation. Kanon is another great one for character, and it's more challenging than it's detractors would have you believe.

Still, based on what you're asking for, I think Mushishi is your best bet.
Old 2007-04-17, 00:07   Link #11
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I recommend Death Note, but I don't really think it fits your first requirement - it's basically a fun, trashy, simplistic snuff-thriller masquerading as an intellectually challenging drama. Still, it has some good character development.
Your description is accurate, but there is still a level of thought to it, the same one that Detective Academy Q and Detective Conan have. Are they intellectual or deep series? No, not at all... but (at least some of the episodes) make me think quite hard trying to detect the flaws, find the contradictions, etc. Watching passively will ruin the fun. In Death Note, there is a big focus on laying traps and counter-traps by the two main characters, so it's almost like watching a chess game unfold - plus unexpected external events - while you try to guess the strategies, or who has the upper hand.
Old 2007-04-17, 01:01   Link #12
solomon

Well now, although i think Code Geass is QUITE overrated i wouldnt call it trashy, so much as fluffy popcorn entertainment (well made one though)

Can anyone vouch for Towards the Terra? I think that should have some heavy themes and social commentary if that counts.
Old 2007-04-17, 07:41   Link #13
Grv
宜しく
*Fansubber

Well, Dai Sato (Ergo Proxy, Eureka 7) is on the writing team for Terra e.

Personally I found Code Geass to have some pretty good plot twists. You could also give Juuousei (Jyu Oh Sei) a watch. In addition to that there is as mentioned earlier, Bartender.

This one is a little off topic but I'd think in terms of mindset if you like the more "thinky" shows, you may prefer the shows geared towards an older age group such as Hataraki Man.
Old 2007-04-17, 07:47   Link #14
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grv View Post
Well, Dai Sato (Ergo Proxy, Eureka 7) is on the writing team for Terra e.

Personally I found Code Geass to have some pretty good plot twists. You could also give Juuousei (Jyu Oh Sei) a watch. In addition to that there is as mentioned earlier, Bartender.

This one is a little off topic but I'd think in terms of mindset if you like the more "thinky" shows, you may prefer the shows geared towards an older age group such as Hataraki Man.
Plot twists don't equal good storytelling though....especially when they’re as badly done and predictable as Geass’, which actually managed to be comedic most of the time. About Terra e... is probably as good as a mainstream dystopia science fiction bishounen anime can get, it has a great old-school vibe too. Mushishi is also a great choice, if only for the low-key direction and great subtle script.
Old 2007-04-17, 09:03   Link #15
miaka

xxxHolic - mystery/folklore/licensed
The Third - action/adventure
shinigami no ballad - slice of life
Old 2007-04-17, 10:01   Link #16
zalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing View Post

I sense a flame war coming.
Nah, it's not even worth it. People like what they like and hate what they hate. I'm not going to try to convince someone who hates CG to like it.

I never said it was in the "thinking" category, but I do think it's enjoyable and feel the OP should give it a shot. It doesn't hurt to try it. If he doesn't like it, he can just stop watching.
Old 2007-04-17, 10:16   Link #17
gknight
shounen ai

Send a message via ICQ to gknight Send a message via MSN to gknight
highly recommend Princess Tutu.
Old 2007-04-17, 13:21   Link #18
rman0099
On my nut

As someone above said: Monster, Hiragashi, and Death Note. Monster has been subbed in full by 2 very repuatble groups (I would recomend A-kraze's). Its good that Monster is finished since it gets you hooked and having to wait can kill some of the suspense on a series like that.

But DEFINATLEY start watching Death Note but watch only from one of the HQ groups. A series like DN cannot be watched from a speed subber since you need to have the proper feeling and dialogue conveyed through. The characters are very intelligent and a LQ sub may not convey the right dialogue and mood.
Old 2007-04-17, 17:31   Link #19
Navel

Thought provoking.... mmm.... you want some brain damage, don't you ? ^^

Evangelion - this was the anime that caused brain meltage to most people, its creators received death treaths and you will find many saying either that it's trash or too deep; parents' influence on their children, the purpose of life, the meaning of one's struggle and more. After seeing it, visit EvaOtaku and see what you missed. (do it before seeing the show and it will spoil everything like you could not have imagined)

Infinite Ryvius - the characters are children, what can be thought provoking about it ? Well, take those children and put them in a death or life situation. A real one, with no fantasy or magical sidekicks ready to step in and help them. A very cynical look on human nature in this anime.

If you want to see something without angst but still "interesting", have a look at The Big O. Now, what I like about this anime is that it has the great Batman comics feel. Until you hit a certain episode that's different from all previous ones, and it just screams at you: "you're not getting this at all !". Even worse, the folowing episodes don't seem to continue this one at all, making you take it for a fluke. But elements that don't really seem to fit do build up, and though you enjoy it for the show value, you can't really stop thinking that you don't understand the puzzle. Have a look at wikipedia, but only after seeing it, you'll appreciate the show more. ^^

Neither of these are from 2006-2007, though. The vintage this year was not good enough. Maybe Welcome to the N.H.K.!. (you'll see soon enough the comedy is only a disguise for the characters' drama)
Old 2007-04-18, 21:27   Link #20
negativeone

how come nobody mentioned Paranoia Agent. now thisis a real "thinking anime"

In “Paranoia Agent,” Shounen Bat assoults a number of people who are in some way victims of social problems. i.e. A boy who cannot bear to be less than number one, in a school system that demands competition. A “proper” woman destined for a bland marriage and career, the only outlet for her sexuality being a split personality who is a sex worker. An avid video game fan who has lost his ability to see a reality, and so much more. Like the tittle mentions all characters become paranoic and since thhey cannot reconcile their true self with social expectations and long for a release, they are assoulted by shonen bat.

Spoiler:

Paranoia Agent is definitely a must watch. At first it wont make sense, but if you pay attention to all the symbolism going on, you will get it.
Closed Thread