AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-05-02, 04:28   Link #861
Jimmy C

Yup, Akashin, that's the point I was trying to get across.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 05:21   Link #862
HasuMasu
*Artist

anime mephistopheles

'nuff said
Old 2011-05-03, 14:57   Link #863
mols

When Madoka turned into a witch QB said that the quota had been reached without anyone killing witch Madoka. So just the release of energy would enough. And you can say that they do gather energy since they are the ones "producing" it via PM transforming into witches. I am sure that their colleagues back in their home planet consider that as energy gathering too. even if nobody is sending batteries from Earth
mols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 09:20   Link #864
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
I've never considered the way Incubators gather energy, taking their purpose into account. If they combat enthropy, their concern should be to increase the amount of available energy, and magic is one power able to human emotions into energy with high production rates. As long as this energy is released at the moment of a magical girl turning into a witch, this energy is already part of the universe (although it makes you wonder if no monitoring device on Earth is capable of detecting such an outburst of energy in the middle of a big city), so there should be nothing more Incubators need to bother with.
Then again, it's interesting how the new system works. Since demons aren't born from magical girls, no transformation takes place. We don't know whether Kyuubey needed actual grief seeds as batteries or not, but it sure looks like the giref cubes Puellae Magi now harvest from demons are the only energy sourse. Or... is the energy released at the moment the demon is defeated? Doubtful, since it should have worked the same way with witches.
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 09:46   Link #865
mols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
I've never considered the way Incubators gather energy, taking their purpose into account. If they combat enthropy, their concern should be to increase the amount of available energy, and magic is one power able to human emotions into energy with high production rates. As long as this energy is released at the moment of a magical girl turning into a witch, this energy is already part of the universe (although it makes you wonder if no monitoring device on Earth is capable of detecting such an outburst of energy in the middle of a big city), so there should be nothing more Incubators need to bother with.
Then again, it's interesting how the new system works. Since demons aren't born from magical girls, no transformation takes place. We don't know whether Kyuubey needed actual grief seeds as batteries or not, but it sure looks like the giref cubes Puellae Magi now harvest from demons are the only energy sourse. Or... is the energy released at the moment the demon is defeated? Doubtful, since it should have worked the same way with witches.
I had the vague impression that turning into a PM released some energy... that killing witches also released some energy, but that transforming into a witch released the most energy.

But I might be completely wrong, I still have not watched the show again.

Also, if the energy released is not released as heat, how can someone detect that?
Old 2011-05-04, 10:17   Link #866
Snork
Twilight lander

Hmm... the ligh coming from the station at the time of Sayaka's transformation suggested there might at least be light emission. Also, Kyouko was thrown a good distance away at that moment, and I suppose that also counts. All of these should be detectable, unless they remain hidden through some magical means.
Old 2011-05-08, 21:36   Link #867
sa547
*Author

Well, this hit me while I ate breakfast:

Remember what QB said about emotions as a form of mental illness in his homeworld? Well, it's Gen's another shoutout to Equilibrium (the first being Mami's gun-kata) for he once wrote a VN fanfic based on the movie; in the Equilibrium universe, Libria's founder considers any display of human emotion -- even for a brief second -- is a danger to the supposed utopian society he created, and so therefore is considered a state offense punishable by death (nobody is above this edict, not even the Grammaton Clerics -- they are authorized to gun down even their fellow Cleric should one of them displays any illegal emotions); all Librians are also required by law to take a daily dose of an inhibitor that suppresses human emotions.
Old 2011-05-09, 02:38   Link #868
Snork
Twilight lander

Yeah, Equlibrium does sound like something Urobuchi could be inspired with. So that's another five pence in the piggy bank of the show's shout-outs.
Old 2011-05-09, 02:55   Link #869
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

A Madoka-parody work in progress, which will be done when I get all the RAW episodes, with Homura using the following dialuge to tell QB what she thinks of his contract....

Old 2011-05-09, 04:08   Link #870
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
Yeah, Equlibrium does sound like something Urobuchi could be inspired with. So that's another five pence in the piggy bank of the show's shout-outs.
This is his fanfic/VN based on the film: http://vndb.org/v1390

And oh, just found out something else while reading the 'Pedia entry on the film:

Quote:
The film ends with Preston holding (Mary) O'Brien's red ribbon, smiling.
That makes it the possible third reference.
Old 2011-06-08, 03:33   Link #871
Sekirei07

I thought about this a while and when I kept thinking about it, they really are basically one and the same.

Isn't QB basically HAL from 2000 Space Odyssey?

I mean here are the comparisons I noticed:

They both talk with no emotion
They both act in ways that have the best outcome logically pertaining to there mission, regardless of the cost of life
They have no remorse for there actions
They don't understand human emotions
There everywhere and you can't get rid of them even if you want to
They both always get so many freaking closeups of there freaky looking eyes/face/lens that just makes them creepy

I mean good god I honestly think you can switch out there close up scenes and no one would notice the difference. I honestly want to see someone parody these 2. I think it could work so well.
Old 2011-06-08, 05:19   Link #872
Snork
Twilight lander

I haven't watched the movie, but I've heard about it and HAL. That's an interesting point. And it's still questionable whether Incubators are aliens themselves or something created by an alien race (because a real alien hunting potential magical girls and LOOKING like a cute plush mascot is a bit too much of a coincidence ). What if Kyuubey is closer to an AI than to a living being?
Old 2011-06-08, 15:35   Link #873
Sekirei07

Oh and another similarity is that both of them meet there downfall by a paradox.

HAL went berserk due to conflicting orders he was given and he was created to be the ultimate machine that could never make a mistake. In the movie, HAL was originally ordered to
1. Follow the orders of the crew and
2. Keep the secret about what was on Mars from the crew

When the crew asked about the secret, the paradox was born and thus the only logical solution HAL had to perform was to kill the whole crew, no crew, no orders, the secret is safe.

QB's Witch plan was ultimately shut down due to Madoka's self destructing Paradox. Destroy all Witch before they are ever born > results in Madoka to be a Witch > Wish says all Witch are gone before being born > Ultimate witch destroyed with the paradox and QB's plan (or whoever originally purposed it) never comes to light.
Old 2011-09-26, 13:56   Link #874
Honoakari
Lurking Member

If Kyuubey hates entropy so much why doesn't he find a random girl and convince her to wish for entropy to simply disappear? He can fulfill any sort of wish with the Magical Girl contract, after all.
Old 2011-09-26, 14:01   Link #875
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.D. View Post
If Kyuubey hates entropy so much why doesn't he find a random girl and convince her to wish for entropy to simply disappear? He can fulfill any sort of wish with the Magical Girl contract, after all.
He explained that because Madoka has so much potential, he could grant any kind of wish. But that's not true with other girls...
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-26, 14:09   Link #876
mols

And I am not even sure Madoka could wish for something like that. I am certain the end of entropy would lead to other, more immediate consequences.
Old 2011-09-26, 14:12   Link #877
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Yea, like the universe essentially being frozen in time because you need entropy for events to happen.
Old 2011-09-26, 14:15   Link #878
mols

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Yea, like the universe essentially being frozen in time because you need entropy for events to happen.
Yep, that would be boring. Nothing to do, nothing happens... wait, I wouldn't be able to be bored if there's no entropy! I wouldn't even be there! Might have been an interesting anime though, with Madoka's wish everything ends for good.
Old 2011-09-26, 14:50   Link #879
Honoakari
Lurking Member

I see, wishing for entropy to disappear is quite risky.

But here's another question: Why doesn't he convince random girls/Madoka to wish for enough energy to be created to stop entropy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sageblink
He explained that because Madoka has so much potential, he could grant any kind of wish. But that's not true with other girls...
How so? I clearly remember that Kyuubey told several girls throughout the series that he can fulfill any wish whatsoever. And we know that Kyuubey is unable to lie/provide false information, so his statement must have been true.
Old 2011-09-26, 15:35   Link #880
Sol Falling

Yeah, wishing for entropy to not exist would be like wishing for there to be no such thing as gravity. Whether or not anybody could actually do it, not really a great idea.

I think of "sensible" wishes in Madoka in somewhat local terms. That is, each girls' soul gem is a source, and that energy source can be applied to any wish conceivable. So, wish for there to be no such thing as gravity? Sure, go ahead. However, because each girl's magic/soul energy is certainly limited--irrational in origin or not--I'd imagine the girl would run out of magic, fall into despair, and turn into a witch before their wish would have too much of an effect on the universe. So, maybe shifting the gravitational constant a few thousandth places (would still 'cause major complications and probably kill everybody). Or else causing everything to float for a few seconds. But probably not anything more than that, because the universe is simply too large for global wishes to be conceivably sustainable.

With Kyuubey, by the time he collects a girl's Grief Seed, I think he'd have obtained every last drop of emotional energy from her anyway. That's the nature of the Soul Gem to Grief Seed conversion process. So there is not really any need for Kyuubey to trick girls into wishing for energy itself--they would not be able to produce more energy than what he'd get from their Grief Seed anyway. Makes more sense for the girls to wish for something that they actually have hope for, actually desire personally. The existence/nature of the magic/wish/emotional wish system in itself defies Entropy--but that does not mean it is completely free from its influence. Each girl possesses a certain degree of emotional energy that can be put to work defying the death/homeostasis of the universe--but in no sense is that infinite.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
characters