AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-02-18, 19:07   Link #41
ShinGundam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
Meh, too much good looking dudes. Giving me that Jonas brothers, Nsync feeling.

Spoiler for dudes:

As for remaking FFVII, I hope S.E doesn't. No point in wasting time remaking an old game. It's not going to be better than the original if it's like any of the other S.E FF remakes.
Meh . I don’t care for there looking as long this game has a world map <3 , conventional towns ,day and night cycle and art style appearing to blend both modern and medieval aesthetics <3

In Nomura we trust
ShinGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 19:12   Link #42
Knyghtblade
Hooked on Catgirls

Send a message via ICQ to Knyghtblade Send a message via AIM to Knyghtblade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
otoh FVII remake = $$$$$

which SE needs with FXIII sales plummeting after the initial release date.

and they wouldn't have as much problems with the graphics if they weren't planning to port XIII over to X360. Adding the towns is possible but it would have made the X360 port much bigger then 4disc.
the xbox is not the issue, they can use better compression and take advantage of the hard drive as it's basically a windows kernel underneath. If you want to blame hardware for anything it's that the ps3 is a b*tch to develop for and costs significantly more to produce a game for on top of the added architecture difficulty.

that aside they should just move to pc

anyway the issue is from an art standpoint, you are already dumping boatloads of money into a "killer app". High poly modeling does take a ton of time, especially characters and anything that will be up close. its almost like a modern day sculptor chipping away at a statue, that shit takes time.

my suggestion would be to change up method, use more shader and texturing tricks to lower the poly count to speed up the modeling process.

honestly I think an ff7 remake would be severely hurt if done in say...a ffXIII style...I loved my chibi's and while I did like advent children, i think stepping back and taking a more anime style approach would be for the best in terms of both recreation time and nostalgia styling.
Knyghtblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 19:55   Link #43
ShinGundam

Quote:
the xbox is not the issue, they can use better compression and take advantage of the hard drive as it's basically a windows kernel underneath.
Sorry . 360 is definitely an Issue because when you have a game like Final Fantasy
with so many places It is expected to be revisitable like the whole series . Well Not
in FF13 after all :\ there is No backtracking to older places(beside Ch11 and 13) and developers expressed
how it is hard to make a ****ing TOWN IN HD when they cut an area outside of Lightning's house from the game . It is definitely a questionable design decision .

Also since when was FF game separated into chapters and COMBAT CENTERED
Spoiler for XD:
ShinGundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 01:33   Link #44
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcExAlcHeMy View Post
i have no clue how they're going to make the towns FF7 had in HD when they said it was hard enough for FF13 that they didn't even bother with it.
It's simple. They're lying.

I do not see how it is so much harder to "make towns in HD" than it would be to make anything else... I honestly think they're trying to save face. Of course, doing so by basically admitting that they were lazy is a horrible idea, but...

Quote:
As for remaking FFVII, I hope S.E doesn't. No point in wasting time remaking an old game. It's not going to be better than the original if it's like any of the other S.E FF remakes.
You clearly haven't played FFIVDS, then. Fantastic remake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knyghtblade View Post
honestly I think an ff7 remake would be severely hurt if done in say...a ffXIII style...I loved my chibi's and while I did like advent children, i think stepping back and taking a more anime style approach would be for the best in terms of both recreation time and nostalgia styling.
Anime-style typically doesn't do very well in the West for whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinGundam View Post
*snip*
You seem to be implying that having multiple discs "prevents backtracking" and "ruins the experience", which belies the fact that you're forgetting the PSX FFs entirely.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 02:57   Link #45
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post

You clearly haven't played FFIVDS, then. Fantastic remake.

Played it. I like the original 2D graphics better. All the new stuff they added weren't that great and I beat the game without using much of them. The other remakes for the PS1 was horrible since Cartridge > CD loading time. Plus playing remakes just doesn't have the same feel as playing it back in the days. (Main reason why I don't think remaking games is a good idea.) Same game, updated graphics, and throw in a bit of new stuff. Meh, just play the original game again since it's not going to be much better.
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 03:02   Link #46
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Played it. I like the original 2D graphics better. All the new stuff they added weren't that great and I beat the game without using much of them.
I thought the Namingway quest and Auto-Mode were brilliant additions, but that's me.

Quote:
The other remakes for the PS1 was horrible since Cartridge > CD loading time. Plus playing remakes just doesn't have the same feeling as playing it back in the days. (Main reason why I don't think remaking games is a good idea.)
I'll definitely agree with you that the feeling of playing something NEW is definitely better than replaying something you love, yeah.

I still believe an FFVII remake would sell ridiculously well, though.
Old 2010-02-19, 03:14   Link #47
Sides

Quote:
Don't know and we hopefully will never get to know, however if they make it into a movie/anime covering the whole story line, that would sell. IMO most people talking about FF7 haven't actually played it, and are probably not even gamers.
Too be honest, turnbase FF has no future on HD consoles.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 03:23   Link #48
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:

Depends how much time S.E spends on the remake. If the graphics look similar to Advent Children and the gameplay gets updated, then maybe it'll sell well but I don't think it will be ridiculous numbers. If they go the lazy route like all their other previous remakes, then it might not. Also all the fans who liked the original FFVII are all grown up now so that would lessen the amount it sells maybe.
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 03:23   Link #49
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Don't know and we hopefully will never get to know, however if they make it into a movie/anime covering the whole story line, that would sell. IMO most people talking about FF7 haven't actually played it, and are probably not even gamers.
Anime doesn't sell in the States. If you want to tap into the US market with FFVII, you'll need to make a video game.

As for people talking about FFVII not having played it... yeah, I don't think that's true at all. It's a popular game even now, and not just because of Advent Children.

Quote:
Too be honest, turnbase FF has no future on HD consoles.
...Although I'd agree with you that turn-based RPGs are on the way out (as they should be) I don't agree that the system "doesn't have a future on HD consoles", as though HD automatically means that the gameplay is going to improve any.

I really think they should take whatever Versus XIII is doing and implement that in any FFVII remake, though.

Quote:
Also all the fans who liked the original FFVII are all grown up now so that would lessen the amount it sells maybe.
Doubt it. Many of the fans who played FFVII when it came out are in their mid-20s now, and as such may have less free time but also more of their own money.

You'd really have to hit the nostalgia factor, but that's what a remake is supposed to do.
Old 2010-02-19, 03:53   Link #50
iwatch2muchanime
Lazy

I agree with everything said above, accept the anime part. Well yes anime isn't the greatest market in the US, or even a good one anymore, making another movie based on a game would most likely sell very well. It's not the anime fans they're aiming at, it's the FF fans, and FF fans don't hold themselves down to games only. (Fans in general, i'm just saying FF for this topic)
Old 2010-02-19, 04:38   Link #51
Sides

Quote:
Anime doesn't sell in the States. If you want to tap into the US market with FFVII, you'll need to make a video game.

As for people talking about FFVII not having played it... yeah, I don't think that's true at all. It's a popular game even now, and not just because of Advent Children.
iwatch2muchanime already answered that one.

But Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus, imo, were a bad moves, because in my head, and probably in others as well, FF7 is this anime-like game with quirky humor, and that is the whole issue with FF7 remake. If they go back to the anime style or use cel shading it will definitely pull a lot of new people/kids into the series. However if they go the CGI-rendering like in AC, they wouldn't attract any new gamers, only people who will complaint about the game, i.e. for being too linear.
Games are meant to be for children and grownups, who don't want to grow up. If they are trying to attract hardcore gamers, meaning killzone, hola and war with gears gamers, they won't sell much after the first two weeks,
Spoiler for press the button after 23rd march:

I really doubt that Square-Enix can pull of what nintendo had done with New Super Mario Bros, with a FF7 remake/retelling/reinvention.
FF was targetted to a small audience in the West, until the big boom, after FFXIII it is probably going back to a small audience.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 06:28   Link #52
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
It's simple. They're lying.

I do not see how it is so much harder to "make towns in HD" than it would be to make anything else... I honestly think they're trying to save face. Of course, doing so by basically admitting that they were lazy is a horrible idea, but...
According a friend of mine who read the interview, stated that had more to do with time restrictions than them being harder make. Besides like it's not like having towns or make an bad and FFXIII isn't the first RPG to change this concept.

On subject of remakes, FFIV DS was a much better game than the original which I was never of fond to begin with and FFIII pretty much out-classes the NES version in every way. That said I prefer SE stick to new stuff instead.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 17:56   Link #53
iwatch2muchanime
Lazy

Quote:
iwatch2muchanime already answered that one.

But Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus, imo, were a bad moves, because in my head, and probably in others as well, FF7 is this anime-like game with quirky humor, and that is the whole issue with FF7 remake. If they go back to the anime style or use cel shading it will definitely pull a lot of new people/kids into the series. However if they go the CGI-rendering like in AC, they wouldn't attract any new gamers, only people who will complaint about the game, i.e. for being too linear.
Games are meant to be for children and grownups, who don't want to grow up. If they are trying to attract hardcore gamers, meaning killzone, hola and war with gears gamers, they won't sell much after the first two weeks,
Spoiler for press the button after 23rd march:

I think you're a little ways off here. FF7 was serious, emo and depressing for the most part bar a few comedic scenes more towards the beginning. FF was never aimed at kids, hell kids can barely read and think, how would they get the story or strategies? (assuming that there are strategies past hit O) It's aimed at teens and up clearly.

teens+ like action, so it's only natural for them to make an action CG movie and a 3rd person shooter in hopes of continuing that streak. Unfortunately DoC was bad and AC wasn't fantastic. But that's the games fault not the audiences.

They're not aiming at the killzonerrs the Halorrrs, they're aiming at the FFers which again eat it up for the most part.
Old 2010-02-19, 18:03   Link #54
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwatch2muchanime View Post
I think you're a little ways off here. FF7 was serious, emo and depressing for the most part bar a few comedic scenes more towards the beginning. FF was never aimed at kids, hell kids can barely read and think, how would they get the story or strategies? (assuming that there are strategies past hit O) It's aimed at teens and up clearly.

teens+ like action, so it's only natural for them to make an action CG movie and a 3rd person shooter in hopes of continuing that streak. Unfortunately DoC was bad and AC wasn't fantastic. But that's the games fault not the audiences.

They're not aiming at the killzonerrs the Halorrrs, they're aiming at the FFers which again eat it up for the most part.
and most of us are in our 30s with real money to buy these and not have to ask our parents.
Old 2010-02-19, 18:39   Link #55
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

The story gets better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by connectedconsoles.com
We've heard Final Fantasy producer Yoshinori Kitase say that he's interested in recreating Final Fantasy VII for the PlayStation 3 many a time. Now though, Kitase has said that it would only happen if the facilities were there for the development team to remake the legendary title in a year.

Speaking in an interview with TechDigest, Kitase revealed:

"If it were possible that we had all the right facilities and the right environment to be able to make and prepare a Final Fantasy VII remake within a year, we'd very much like a go at it! But even Final Fantasy XIII has taken over three and a half years to create. If we were to recreate final Fantasy VII with the same level of graphical detail as you see in Final Fantasy XIII, we'd imagine that that would take as much as three or four times longer than the three and a half years it has taken to put this Final Fantasy together! So it's looking pretty unrealistic! But if any such situation came about by any remote chance, then yes, we'd do it!"

So its looking unrealistic, but there's still a glimpse of hope. The latest Final Fantasy instalment, XIII, releases next month for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

So it takes about 10,5 to 14 years to make a FF7 remake.

edit: Source : http://connectedconsoles.com/ps3-Squ...kes-A-Year.cfm
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-19, 18:47   Link #56
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2H-Dragon View Post
The story gets better.

So it takes about 10,5 to 14 years to make a FF7 remake.

edit: Source : http://connectedconsoles.com/ps3-Squ...kes-A-Year.cfm
he is trolling us >.>
Old 2010-02-19, 19:21   Link #57
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

I also don't see how it took them three and a half years when other game companies can create a game just as if not more detailed in half the time, but I suppose they're the experts.

Last edited by Tyabann; 2010-02-19 at 21:09.
Old 2010-02-19, 20:56   Link #58
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
Toward the end of FFXIII's production, I swear I remember reading that the production staff said it'd be easier to create more stuff in the future since they'd laid down the framework for working with the PS3, which was the reason for the long development time... How mysterious.

... If anything, though, I should like to see a properly funded/executed Xenogears remake more than FFVII. And it's even less remotely possible to do so...
Old 2010-02-20, 01:15   Link #59
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i think the plummating sales and deep price cuts are a better indicator of how the japanese market is viewing ffxiii then gaming magazines which depends on ad revenue money.

[NSFW] http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/0...-a-damp-squib/ [NSFW]
Just felt I needed to step in to say that this sankaku article like pretty much all of them is full of half truths, spin and under-reported facts. The game sold over 1 million copies on day one and then immediately dropped off largely due to the fact that most people that wanted it already owned it and thus the demand was gone. It was actually quite expected for it's sales to nosedive and thus I doubt it has anything to do with any potential decision to greenlight an FFVII remake.

That said considering what I've seen of the FFVII franchises handling lately I'm not exactly keen on any more of it. It's also starting to become like One Year War sidestories for U.C Gundam...sure I love the franchise and that part of it, but they just keep piling up the entries into one area of the overall franchise while the rest of what's perfectly open for exploration is left to languish. The exception has been FFT and FFIV: The After Years.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-20, 03:18   Link #60
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
I also don't see how it took them three and a half years when other game companies can create a game just as if not more detailed in half the time, but I suppose they're the experts.
Could you show me one of these games made in less than two years? I know it's a common mistake for people to assume time of announcement = start of development, but I'd think anyone can see that less than two years is a ridiculously short time to make a game.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote