Old 2012-12-26, 20:18   Link #1081
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I was in Higurashi land for a day.

No mysterious murders and killing cycles occured though

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
You guys really should buy new camera.

No offense thought. you guys still get good picture and I appreciate your effort
Would you be willing to contribute 1K to that ww

It's good I didn't use some shitty pocket digital camera
Old 2012-12-27, 20:01   Link #1082
willx
Nyaaan~~

So, related to the comments made previously.. it's snowing here in Eastern Canada but thick walls and heat do a decent job. My friend living in Shizuoka is freezing her tiny little butt off cause of the thin walls and lack of heating at her apartment..

That said, it's not like she was caught unprepared, she's been there for three years but is just one of the things she dislikes..
Old 2012-12-27, 20:35   Link #1083
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Yeah, traditional Japanese homes rely mainly on kerosene heaters.

In the end I just slept with no heating. Yutanpo under the futon plus thick traditional winter robe means it actually became quite warm
Old 2012-12-28, 06:31   Link #1084
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
But I want to see japan at night. i wonder if you can take night photo with that camera? you have any?
I prefer to play with the illumination the sun can create, but here are some photos during night.

Back to more interesting stuff, Oedo Onsen Monogatari was amazing, and today Kamakura perfect (I wish days were longer to visit more temples and shrines, as well as go hiking on the eastern side; not to mention warmer to swim):

Album from the two western hiking trails, which are quite easy (all things considered)... one hour each, without any hard climbs. The thumbnail is the view of mount Fuji from the mountaintop of Kenchou temple.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Kōtoku-in(高徳院) home of the second largest Buddha statue

Images

Zeniarai-Benten(銭洗い弁天) wash your money here, and after spending them expect to get it back in multiple amounts... or so they believe

Images

Jōchi-ji(金宝山浄智寺) cute little temple and cemetary devoted to the god of happiness (Hotei, which I misread as hotel, and almost skipped it)

Images

Tōkei-ji(東慶寺) monastery for the abused women in the middle ages, which Europe had none

Images

Engaku-ji(円覚寺) houses the souls of those who fought the Mongols in the 13th c. and has some national treasures, which are uninteresting, compared to the temple complex itsel, IMHO

Images

Kenchō-ji(建長寺) the most beautiful temple complex I have visited thus far, with its peak offering a wonderful view of the whole city, and Fuji-san

Images

Unfortunately, dusk was faster than our feet, so the eastern side of the city, seashore and Enoshima, will have to wait for some weeks

TODO: Ise, Nagoya, Inuyama, Gifu, Matsumoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
So, related to the comments made previously.. it's snowing here in Eastern Canada but thick walls and heat do a decent job. My friend living in Shizuoka is freezing her tiny little butt off cause of the thin walls and lack of heating at her apartment..

That said, it's not like she was caught unprepared, she's been there for three years but is just one of the things she dislikes..
That is very strange, in my apartment near Yoyogi, I use the air conditioner only when working overnight (and probably I only feel cold, because to tiredness and lack of movement... internal temperature drops, etc). Also in Koya-san, where it was snowing, as well as Matsumoto and Nagano, it wasn't as cold as in Munich or even London.

That said, if she is living in a traditional room with a lot of space and/or high ceiling (unlikely in cities, since they are crazy expensive) and is not aware how to stay warm, I see that happening
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-28, 08:40   Link #1085
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Oh, Benzaiten-sama...I got a really cute snake souvenir of the goddess as a gift for someone. They are ubiquitious everywhere it seems
Old 2012-12-30, 14:22   Link #1086
Kirarakim

Thought I would upload a couple pictures of one of my favorite meals in Japan. This was at Hase-dera Temple in Kamakura. A beautiful Buddhist temple over Kamakura bay. Anyways I stopped at the temple restaurant and had Powdered Matcha which came with a little biscuit & sweetened potatoes..amazing.

This was my second favorite meal in Japan. My first was at Fushimi Inari Nishin Soba (Herring Soba) which I can only describe as wow. Sadly I didn't think to take a picture of it.

People always say Japan is expensive but I found meals at temples/shrines to be extremely reasonable and godly tasting.

Spoiler for Food:

The temple was really beautiful (although in my rush to get to Enoshima I think I missed the important statue that was at this temple). The only other thing I saw at Kamakura was the Great Buddha which was amazing but there have been other recent pictures of that so I won't re-post.

Spoiler for Temple Images:

edit: Also my camera re-sized all but my first couple pictures to 640X480. I have no idea how this happened (must have pressed something without realizing) but does this mean I can't get them back to higher quality? I mean this is convenient for posting on web but I thought larger pictures were better right?

edit: I have so many places to post pictures so here are more food pictures (although the first two are repeats from above)

http://kirarakim.livejournal.com/402753.html

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2012-12-30 at 15:02.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 01:42   Link #1087
Malkuth
Banned

30 temples and shrines, 9 gardens and parks, 6 castles, 2 imperial palaces and comiket... not bad for the first 30 days, though I have missed a lot.

Some trivial stuff I skipped mentioning:
  • Japanese love to line up, be it comiket (12-31), Meiji Shrine (01-01), Emperor's speech (01-02), Kaminari Gate (01-03)...
  • Visiting the Tokyo palace for the emperor's speech was quite embarassing, during the backpack check, I had in it about 30 H-doujinshi, and forgot inside a pack of condoms too... I gave the policewoman a good laugh during a really tough workday
  • For the love of gods, why doesn't anyone stand up for the elderly in trains I have already offered my seat thrice here, while those bimbos and businessmen pretended to not notice!
  • Ageha sucks!
  • Japan has the best hard rock / metal bars after Greece, friendly staff, cozy atmosphere, interesting to talk customers, smoking allowed indoors, but the best thing is that clients get to pick songs I strongly recommend ING in Kyoto (next to the temple Oda Nobunaga died), Mother and Godz in Shinjuku, as well as Rock-a-holic in Shibuya.
  • Toilets, not only they are free and everywhere, they are also clean!
  • The patriots at Yasukuni... I really don't get these people, however much brain-damaged someone can be, still these "patriots" are in completely different level than any other idiot... and they exist in every country too
  • Smoking... thank gods you are allowed to smoke inside stores and enclosed spaces... not like those hypochondriac fascists in Europe who try to enforce their habits into everyone!
  • Doujinshi... unless you deal with some thief working in a distribution company or a bimbo in Ageha misunderstanding feminism... there is a clear distinction between fiction and reality
  • 2nd hand stores for anything... dirt cheap electronics, clothes, furniture, figurines, comics (both domestic and imported)... Nakano and Akihabara are heaven on earth
  • last but not least, food... the food here is excellent, be it cheap or expensive is far better, more fullfilling and cheaper than what one could get in England, France, and Germany... probably a vegetarian's nightmare, but then again these people should realize that humans have a different diet than cows
  • Oh! and I almost forgot... konbini (convenience stores)... open 24/7 and have everything at reasonable prices... from cigarettes to food to drinks to hentai

Well, this is more like living in Japan, then visiting (since I decided to try and stay here), but I guess the list could help most visitors too
Old 2013-01-03, 02:29   Link #1088
Azuma Denton
~AD~

30 days??
Are you moving to Japan, Malkuth?

And, what is Ageha??
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-03, 06:30   Link #1089
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
30 days??
Are you moving to Japan, Malkuth?
I wasn't planning to, but after staying here I am seriously going to try to, despite being hard to.

My plan was to stay here for 3 months, then 1-2 months to S. Korea and NE China, then back here for 2 more months, and I added 1 month to Philippines because a very good friend of mine is moving there permanently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
And, what is Ageha??
Ageha is a very popular dance club meat market, that someone tricked me into going, and then complained because he didn't score
Old 2013-01-03, 10:53   Link #1090
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

How was Yasukuni? Didn't have time to go...
Old 2013-01-03, 11:07   Link #1091
Kirarakim

Malkuth what do you do to have all this time to travel?
Old 2013-01-03, 11:09   Link #1092
Malkuth
Banned

Packed with people because of the emperor's speech and hatsumode

I'll visit it again some time this month, along with Kanda and Hie... probably Asakusa too.
Old 2013-01-03, 11:12   Link #1093
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Reinforces the notion that if you want to actually pay your respects at any jinja or temple, then you have to go on a normal weekday...
Old 2013-01-03, 11:12   Link #1094
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Malkuth what do you do to have all this time to travel?
Vacation of course

I quit my old job, and decided to spend all the money I made, while thinking about what to do next... which will be either getting a job here or starting my own company... or think more
Old 2013-01-03, 11:16   Link #1095
Kirarakim

I wish I had more money to travel when I was unemployed but that wasn't the case. Time or money always fighting against me.

My friend saw the emperor on his birthday Dec 23rd, I decided to skip it though.
Old 2013-01-03, 11:27   Link #1096
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
I wish I had more money to travel when I was unemployed but that wasn't the case. Time or money always fighting against me.
Money was a problem when I was younger, and time when older.

Quote:
My friend saw the emperor on his birthday Dec 23rd, I decided to skip it though.
Actually, it's better to apply for the guided tour with the imperial household agency. During the public appearances the place is packed
Old 2013-01-03, 11:56   Link #1097
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Actually, it's better to apply for the guided tour with the imperial household agency. During the public appearances the place is packed
I did just that on my last trip to Japan in 2007. That is part of the reason I didn't go see the emperor this time, there were others things I wanted to do instead.

My friend said he got in right away though and even got some good video of the emperor's speech.
Old 2013-01-13, 22:52   Link #1098
Malkuth
Banned

Here is a rare (as they say) Tokyo blizzard...

Old 2013-01-14, 03:46   Link #1099
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Speaking of blizzards

Here's Kanazawa Castle amidst one....I was actually sweating when I took this though, having ran around the perimeter looking for the entrance ^^;

Images
Old 2013-01-14, 23:06   Link #1100
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Speaking of blizzards

Here's Kanazawa Castle amidst one....I was actually sweating when I took this though, having ran around the perimeter looking for the entrance ^^;

Images
But that's normal for Kanazawa, actually most of the north coast... it is not though for Tokyo! Even today with the sun shining since dawn, there are 5+ cm of snow left... yesterday it was snowing so heavily that I could not eve see the Shinjuku skyscrapers... weather like this I haven't experienced since I moved away from Munich

Tags
japan, travel