AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-17, 13:08   Link #1
Negi_Bozu

Otome School Must be rough

I've always wondered exactly what those otomes learn in their prestigous school Gauderobe, only so often do we get hints as to the academic side of their lives. Sure they have to play Piano, serve drinks, greet their masters But what do they actually "learn". In the forth episode we see on the blackboard a Davinci like representation of the perfect bow, elegant and important for an otome I would think but later in the series the words "Bio-medical engineering" start getting thrown around . Boogle... The last thing instantce to completly throw me off was in episode 19, (no this isn't a spolier) Where low and behold Miss Yukariko has several (real) organic synthesis reactions up on the board. Now... Maybe it's just me... but that seems abit extreme for otomes. Bowing makes sense but organic chemistry seems slightly ridiculous....

Last edited by Negi_Bozu; 2006-02-17 at 13:20.
Old 2006-02-17, 13:15   Link #2
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negi_Bozu
I've always wondered exactly what those otomes learn in their prestigous school Gauderobe, only so often do we get hints as to the academic side of their lives. Sure they have to play Piano, serve drinks, greet their masters But what do they actually "learn". In the forth episode we see on the blackboard a Davinci like representation of the perfect bow, elegant and important for an otome I would think but later in the series the words "Bio-medical engineering" start getting thrown around . Boogle... The last thing instantce to completly throw me off was in episode 19, (no this isn't a spolier) Where low and behold Miss Yukariko has several (real) organic synthesis reactions up on the board. Now... Maybe it's just me... but that seems abit extreame for otomes. Bowing makes sense but organic chemistry seems slightly ridiculous....
At least they didn't have to deal with physics. i will take organic chem over physics anyday.
Old 2006-02-17, 13:20   Link #3
Negi_Bozu

I hear that. (Is secretly a Chemistry Major)
Old 2006-02-17, 14:36   Link #4
wombatlord
All Wombats Shall Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negi_Bozu
But what do they actually "learn". In the forth episode we see on the blackboard a Davinci like representation of the perfect bow, elegant and important for an otome I would think but later in the series the words "Bio-medical engineering" start getting thrown around . Boogle... The last thing instantce to completly throw me off was in episode 19, (no this isn't a spolier) Where low and behold Miss Yukariko has several (real) organic synthesis reactions up on the board. Now... Maybe it's just me... but that seems abit extreme for otomes. Bowing makes sense but organic chemistry seems slightly ridiculous....
Note that Yayoi, who isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the Otome shed, apparently reads books on molecular biochemistry in her spare time. Irina knows how to build a giant robot at age 15, even if it does break down after a bit. Irina can also identify ancient technologies found in curio shops well enough to know what the school scientist/nurse/technician needs for a project.

here's my take on it--I expect that the school trains its students in a mixture of combat, advanced academics, and social graces. Part of this is likely intended to keep alive enough of the knowledge necessary to maintain Garderobe's technologies. We know the entrance exams are pretty rough; I expect only people who have extreme physical talents can get in if they're not already ahead of the academic curve.

(Or maybe Yayoi is so flaky because too much of her head is full of science to be sensible at anything else... )
Old 2006-02-17, 14:50   Link #5
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatlord
Note that Yayoi, who isn't exactly the sharpest tool in the Otome shed, apparently reads books on molecular biochemistry in her spare time. Irina knows how to build a giant robot at age 15, even if it does break down after a bit. Irina can also identify ancient technologies found in curio shops well enough to know what the school scientist/nurse/technician needs for a project.

here's my take on it--I expect that the school trains its students in a mixture of combat, advanced academics, and social graces. Part of this is likely intended to keep alive enough of the knowledge necessary to maintain Garderobe's technologies. We know the entrance exams are pretty rough; I expect only people who have extreme physical talents can get in if they're not already ahead of the academic curve.

(Or maybe Yayoi is so flaky because too much of her head is full of science to be sensible at anything else... )
But now she is stuck doing maki maki with shiho, poor kid
Old 2006-02-17, 16:30   Link #6
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^
But now she is stuck doing maki maki with shiho, poor kid
It's all part of the learning experience.
Old 2006-02-17, 17:59   Link #7
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^
At least they didn't have to deal with physics. i will take organic chem over physics anyday.
What are you saying?

They should teach physics in their curricula.

During my college years, I got high marks on physics.

But barely passing grades on inorganic chem.
Old 2006-02-17, 19:25   Link #8
QU4RK

Well in my opinion, u can't compare the real school curriculum with Garderobe's curriculum. It's an entire different things! But maybe in the future, you can learn those advance college's curriculum like "Bio-medical engineering" stuffs in your High School... probably.. who knows? who cares?....
Old 2006-02-17, 19:46   Link #9
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Garderobe's THE most prestigeous school on the planet - what, you think that the exuberant tuition was just for the nanos and the GEMS?

Still, they're learning a variety of subjects, it's an impressive list.
Old 2006-02-17, 22:18   Link #10
AnimePlus
Banned

Send a message via AIM to AnimePlus
Ehh, that's not SO bad
Old 2006-02-17, 23:07   Link #11
Lost

Well, considering Natsuki is the principle at Garderobe, the same Natsuki who in MH was missing most of her classes, I'm not too sure what they teach...

At least we know they are taught cooking classes. With Tomoe and Nina being real good cooks, and Arika... well... Arika.. (i can only say poor Shiho)
Closed Thread