AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-12-15, 15:10   Link #501
ErenselTheJester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomAvatarFan View Post
I think for us, as a player, to solve the riddle, we need to take everything into account.
That's what I thought as well, but the epitaph is a riddle on its own, independent of the events that happen on the island. All you have to do is pay attention to the clues and explore your options, then you'll find the answer.
ErenselTheJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 15:52   Link #502
RandomAvatarFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErenselTheJester View Post
That's what I thought as well, but the epitaph is a riddle on its own, independent of the events that happen on the island. All you have to do is pay attention to the clues and explore your options, then you'll find the answer.
That's where I begin to run into problems.
Spoiler for Ep3-4:

After knowing that, to say that the epitaph is completely independent from the murders kind of bugs me.

Anyone who read Chiru is probably chuckling at my struggles, but I'm having fun struggling.
My big theory:
Spoiler for :

I'm certain it's a word game though. What bothers me though is that you have the key, and you choose the starting "sacrifices" according to the key. So where would they come from? I'm thinking it's the epitaph itself. The puzzle is the door to the golden land itself.

As for the last part:
I once had a jigsaw where you could flip the pieces over and it was a different shape.
The tenth twilight after "gouge and kill" you're left with the location, but by adding back in "all the gold" "all the souls" "lost love" "eternal sleep" now you're left with the exact process for receiving the gold. You're undoing the puzzle that you just solved, but just a little bit differently so that you have the last bit of info.
RandomAvatarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 17:30   Link #503
ErenselTheJester

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomAvatarFan View Post
That's where I begin to run into problems.
Spoiler for Ep3-4:

After knowing that, to say that the epitaph is completely independent from the murders kind of bugs me.

Anyone who read Chiru is probably chuckling at my struggles, but I'm having fun struggling.
My big theory:
Spoiler for :

I'm certain it's a word game though. What bothers me though is that you have the key, and you choose the starting "sacrifices" according to the key. So where would they come from? I'm thinking it's the epitaph itself. The puzzle is the door to the golden land itself.

As for the last part:
I once had a jigsaw where you could flip the pieces over and it was a different shape.
The tenth twilight after "gouge and kill" you're left with the location, but by adding back in "all the gold" "all the souls" "lost love" "eternal sleep" now you're left with the exact process for receiving the gold. You're undoing the puzzle that you just solved, but just a little bit differently so that you have the last bit of info.
Think about this way: Some of the stuff in the plot alludes and reveals some stuff about the Epitaph, but then there are some stuff that don't like.

For example, What does Battler's Sin have to do with the Epitaph? You have to remember that the Epitaph was written before Battler was born, so what does Battler do or have done that has anything to do with the Epitaph? Even moreso, if Kuwadorian is where the Epitaph leads, what did Eva do there when she became Eva- Beatrice?

Simply put, there are things that you are trying to connect to the Epitaph that actually don't have much to do with its answer. Battler's Sin has nothing to do with it at all and Eva surviving in Kuwadorian is merely the result of the answer.

You have to think about the words and what they mean. Like why is, "My Beloved Hometown, the sweetfish river running through it," the first line written? Is it because it is the most important or the first step in solving the Epitaph? And why do they say "resurrection of the souls of all the dead" when you technically only killed one person? And what does "kill" mean?

And so on, and so on...

Just try to do the best you can with the hints given to you, but don't over think things. Believe me when I say you have the right idea.
Old 2011-12-15, 18:11   Link #504
Kylon99

I probably shouldn't say too much, but I think the big hint in EP3 is that just like the parents, you have to go and look at a map to solve it.

Not that *you* have to, but you know that to solve it like they did, it's something to do with geography. And also that the river isn't really a river; which is what the parents mentioned.

Anyways, if you look at it like this, what does the Epitaph become? It becomes some kind of map and word game, which is what was hinted in EP3. If this is merely the case, what are all the other things, like the murders and the stakes; what do they have to do with the Epitaph?

... I probably shouldn't say more...
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 19:39   Link #505
ErenselTheJester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylon99 View Post
I probably shouldn't say too much, but I think the big hint in EP3 is that just like the parents, you have to go and look at a map to solve it.

Not that *you* have to, but you know that to solve it like they did, it's something to do with geography. And also that the river isn't really a river; which is what the parents mentioned.

Anyways, if you look at it like this, what does the Epitaph become? It becomes some kind of map and word game, which is what was hinted in EP3. If this is merely the case, what are all the other things, like the murders and the stakes; what do they have to do with the Epitaph?

... I probably shouldn't say more...
Yeah, I know how you feel. Resisting the urge to spoil is... daunting.
Old 2011-12-16, 10:55   Link #506
Sajomir

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErenselTheJester View Post
Yeah, I know how you feel. Resisting the urge to spoil is... daunting.
Some of the recent posts aren't too bad, either! I want to encourage them, but I don't want to say specifically which parts are on the right track :3

I don't think you're really out of line, Kylon99, since not a lot of people outside Japan will get the geography bit without a hint to start on.
Sajomir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-14, 15:08   Link #507
RandomAvatarFan

I noticed something funny. One of the parents mentioned "He always talked about the earthquake like it was someone else's problem."

While it leaves pretty much about 80% of Japan still open, as well as like 99% of the entire globe, when looking for the answer in an atlas or some sort of map like Eva did in EP3, it seems one would have to avoid this area:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1923_Gr...%8D_earthquake
RandomAvatarFan is offline   Reply With Quote