AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Durarara!!

Notices

View Poll Results: Durarara!! - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 9 20.45%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 36.36%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 27.27%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 9.09%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 6.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-04-20, 10:21   Link #61
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
One of the many aspects of Drrr that i love is the many side stories that connect back to the main plot and the interaction between all the characters. Now, we Mikado who seems to be very familiar with Selty at least enough for her ask whats bothering him. This kind of high character interactions allows the viewer to care about all the parties even if they are a shady character. I love Izaya even though hes not exactly a nice guy.
What I wonder, is the two ever really going find out that they have been online buddies for a longtime now?
Old 2010-04-20, 10:25   Link #62
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollars_ View Post
One thing that occurs to me -

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Crontica; 2010-04-20 at 10:47.
Old 2010-04-20, 10:27   Link #63
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollars_ View Post
One thing that occurs to me -

Spoiler:
Maybe he was possessed. Or maybe his whackiness immunized him. As Crontica said, we don't know enough about Saika to tell.
Old 2010-04-21, 00:43   Link #64
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
ahhh... I don't get it either. I'm under the impression that Celty's head was already separated from her body when Shinra's dad met her. Unless we're talking about some kind of invisible thread that ties the head to Celty.... actually, they did mention the sword is used to cut off the soul. um. But wasn't Celty searching for her head when she first met Shinra and his dad??
I believe he used the sword to hurt Celty and take the head from her. Remember that she woke up with no memories. It takes Celty a few seconds to heal from minor cuts from normal sharp object as we saw when she was being dissected by shinra's dad.
Old 2010-04-23, 06:59   Link #65
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Funny how despite Shinra/Celty (which I find creepy to be honest) becoming canon, I still think Shizuo and Celty have the better chemistry. Nothing beats mutual trust and respect afterall.
Old 2010-04-23, 07:05   Link #66
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

there is this one thing that bugs me

when Shingen met Celty, she was headless already :/
does that mean that Shingen stole her head beforehand?

Old 2010-04-23, 07:29   Link #67
Buddy Waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
there is this one thing that bugs me

when Shingen met Celty, she was headless already :/
does that mean that Shingen stole her head beforehand?
They said it severed the "soul" -- the link that binds the head to her body. This is why she doesn't know where it is, and doesn't know what it sees or hears.
Old 2010-04-23, 08:41   Link #68
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fevvers View Post
Funny how despite Shinra/Celty (which I find creepy to be honest) becoming canon, I still think Shizuo and Celty have the better chemistry. Nothing beats mutual trust and respect afterall.
Well, Shinra was living with Centy and had years of constant pestering about it to get her to fall for him. I don't think Shizuo has never seen Celty as a woman, he thinks of her as a friend.
Old 2010-04-23, 08:45   Link #69
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Yeah. And talk about years of deception as well.

I don't see anything romantic would come out of Shizuo and Celty, I just find their interactions really sweet and earnest.
Old 2010-04-23, 09:59   Link #70
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
I think there's definitely mutual respect and trust between Celty and Shinra, afterall she did stay with him for 20 years and he didn't treat her like a Lab rat. Shinra is more complicated position compared to Shizuo because he knows more about Celty than he does and centers a large part of his life on her due to being in love. He thinks about her existence and the reason she's here all the time and the fact that Celty knows so little about herself is why doubts he she will be alright when confronted with the "head". Shinra has also stated she is the only person he truly trusts, but only the Celty that's in front him and not her head.

Shizuo isn't as attach to her nor, does he think about her in such detail, so they're relationship more earnest in that respect. That said, Shinra has become more honest with her (and she with him) and Saika issue wasn't something he meant to hide.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2010-04-23 at 10:17.
Old 2010-04-23, 11:29   Link #71
golthin

How can anyone not see that there is not mutual trust and respect between Shinra and Celty. I believe that Shinra is working on those aspects right now after what happened when Celty found out that he had been hiding things from her that could have helped her find her head.

In this relationship, most of the trust and respect has been one sided from Celty toward Shinra. She has treated him the same way that she treats everyone that she meets. That is why Shizuo and Celty get along so well, because Shizuo reciprocates the trust and respect. IT took Shinra 20 years of constant advances and confessions to thaw celty's heart and he deceived and hid things from her during those 20 years. Celty is trying to trust him because she likes him, but he is not helping himself by just providing her with info when she find things he already knew.

Look how long it took for him to build the courage to tell her about the sword. Look how he didn't informed Celty where his father was after she went chasing after him and got tricked by the elevator trap. Celty might be a blunderer, but I can bet that Shinra knew exactly what his father was talking about.

Shinra's fear will always be that once Celty find her head and get her old memories, that she will leave him. He is always in selfish mode about that. Even after he told her about the sword, when she told him she wanted to be alone to think about it, his "I knew it" indicates why he was thinking about keeping quiet.

By the way, will Shinra raise to the occassion and save Celty from his father when they try to do the next batch of experiments or will he just stand back and let him do it? This according to what Shinra said about his company being more interested on Celty's body than her head.

Last edited by golthin; 2010-04-23 at 11:40.
Old 2010-04-23, 12:30   Link #72
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
In this relationship, most of the trust and respect has been one sided from Celty toward Shinra. She has treated him the same way that she treats everyone that she meets. That is why Shizuo and Celty get along so well, because Shizuo reciprocates the trust and respect. IT took Shinra 20 years of constant advances and confessions to thaw celty's heart and he deceived and hid things from her during those 20 years. Celty is trying to trust him because she likes him, but he is not helping himself by just providing her with info when she find things he already knew.
Actually, I don't think he knew where Celty's head was until the Mika incident. There is no need for Yagiri Pharmaceuticals to tell him their secret as he's not an employee there. The only reason they revealed to him was because he needed to know what the face looked like to perform the surgery.

Quote:
Look how long it took for him to build the courage to tell her about the sword. Look how he didn't informed Celty where his father was after she went chasing after him and got tricked by the elevator trap. Celty might be a blunderer, but I can bet that Shinra knew exactly what his father was talking about.
I don't think he even knows where his father is nor, what Shingen is planning with Izaya. I took him not telling here right away because partly he was making the connection between Saika and how his father got Celty's head himself.

Quote:
Shinra's fear will always be that once Celty find her head and get her old memories, that she will leave him. He is always in selfish mode about that. Even after he told her about the sword, when she told him she wanted to be alone to think about it, his "I knew it" indicates why he was thinking about keeping quiet.
The important thing here is that he didn't keep it a secret for long despite knowing what her reaction would be.

Celty never planned to leave to begin with anyway and she knows his fears now too for that matter, so I think she'll be mindful of the head, because she doesn't know what it will do either.

Quote:
By the way, will Shinra raise to the occassion and save Celty from his father when they try to do the next batch of experiments or will he just stand back and let him do it? This according to what Shinra said about his company being more interested on Celty's body than her head.
You mean Shingen and the company he works for is actually Nebula. As for him standing up to his father, I doubt he can do that as Shingen is pretty crafty person despite his goofyness, however he can help Celty like did in this episode by telling her anything he knows.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2010-04-23 at 12:43.
Old 2010-04-23, 15:52   Link #73
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
You mean Shingen and the company he works for is actually Nebula. As for him standing up to his father, I doubt he can do that as Shingen is pretty crafty person despite his goofyness, however he can help Celty like did in this episode by telling her anything he knows.
That is what I mean, a man that can even defend the woman that he loves is better letting her go. I have to admit that I was a little proud of Shinra when he defended Celty when his father was making fun of how dense Celty is and when he helped her get paid, but I think that is as far as shinra will go standing up to his father. I hope he proves me wrong when he put his foot down the next time his father try to use Celty for experiments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw
I don't think he even knows where his father is nor, what Shingen is planning with Izaya. I took him not telling here right away because partly he was making the connection between Saika and how his father got Celty's head himself.
DUDE! After celty jumped from the building, Shingen came out from his hiding place. Shinra always has his phone inside his coat, he didn't even try to call celty back and allowed him to escape. Lets say he even forgot his cell in the apartment, he didn't even try to go back in the apartment to get it and call her. Go and watch the episode again. He had plenty of time to call celty back but he didn't even try because he didn't really want celty to find the whole truth about Shingen. Like I have said before, Shinra is not actively helping her find the head for his selfish reasons which actually are well founded. I might do the same myself, if I knew something that could cause the woman i love to leave me, i would not give that information, It is still wrong.
Old 2010-04-23, 16:57   Link #74
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
DUDE! After celty jumped from the building, Shingen came out from his hiding place. Shinra always has his phone inside his coat, he didn't even try to call celty back and allowed him to escape. Lets say he even forgot his cell in the apartment, he didn't even try to go back in the apartment to get it and call her. Go and watch the episode again. He had plenty of time to call celty back but he didn't even try because he didn't really want celty to find the whole truth about Shingen. Like I have said before, Shinra is not actively helping her find the head for his selfish reasons which actually are well founded. I might do the same myself, if I knew something that could cause the woman i love to leave me, i would not give that information, It is still wrong.
You're taking the elevator scene too seriously, it more for comedy than anything. Shinra wasn't helping anyone either, even if he had called her Shingen would have been out of the building by that point. It's probably for the best if Shinra stay out of situation between Celty and his dad because as much as he loves Celty he's not as heartless to watch her quite possibly kill him. I will also point out again that Shinra didn't know about the connection between Saika and his father till he researched it.

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2010-04-23 at 17:09.
Old 2010-04-25, 05:39   Link #75
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Yeah. And talk about years of deception as well.
Year? What in particular are you thinking of?

Quote:
Look how long it took for him to build the courage to tell her about the sword.
Er...how long do you actually think he knew about this? And furthermore, after she asked, he told her the next day, didn't he? A vast improvement on the couple of months that he kept the location of the head secret. He's changing, but whether you accept that or not (as Celty has) is up to you.

I personally think he will stand up to his father if it comes to it...why would take me too long to explain, and I'd probably want to read the first three volumes of the novel too first.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Closed Thread