AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-02-13, 09:28   Link #981
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
I just want to put these two links here so they can be found:
Mouretsu Pirates Social Group (Thanks Nerroth)
Light Novel Thread
Quoting self just to remind people of those two links. I'll probably do that every five pages or so. Although if we get a subforum, it wouldn't be necessary to link them here.

Decided that this thread needs MOAR pictures and so...
Spoiler for Jenny Dolittle:

Spoiler for Marika and Chiaki:
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 10:32   Link #982
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Eh...light novel space pirating just may not be my thing. I was happy to have a change of pace from like 3 straight episodes of electronic warfare and enjoyed the little sequence of the Bentenmaru crew fleecing the cruise ship, but that brings me to my main issue with the show and that is that it still just completely and utterly lacks tension and things to keep me excited and that there's still just no plot or deeper character drama/interaction to speak of. Some people adore this sort of "slice of life" pace where the emphasis is on a minimum of plot and character development/drama or however you want to put it, but I don't. I just find it a needlessly dull and uninteresting way of conveying a story that typically makes it virtually indistinguishable in feel and tone from other shows with a similar way of telling it's story. Granted they're definitely trying a little more now at least, it's just that the material is still lacking versus what I'd like to be seeing out of a space pirate anime by this point in and Marika is still progressing way WAY too slowly in almost all aspects of her character development for my tastes. Hunter x Hunter has been in exam/trial mode since it started and yet the stakes are regularly more involving, the character interactions and analysis of the situation far deeper and introspective and even the lighter moments seem to carry more of an impact, so I'm not really sure why this show can't be stepping it up a notch as well. Some sort of tension or sense of danger may in fact help, but that still seems episodes off at this rate. To cite another example Legend of The Galactic Heroes had given us a reason to care about both lead characters by now, surrounded them with interesting supporting cast (I can see Pirates is at least trying at this, but so far all of them save for the busty scantily clad chick lack presence) and shown Reinhard's full rise to power at the head of the fleet. There had also been several interesting side stories that had developed and many interesting and enlightening dialogues between the characters. Perhaps it's expecting too much of a light novel based story to get as far as LOGH did in it's first 6 episodes, but it could at least stand to be putting it's foot on the gas a little bit more.

As it stands it's still just not doing it for me and has fallen way behind other shows from this season in terms of my level of interest in it, so I'm going to be putting this show on hold until it appears that some plot and/or character drama or some source of tension and excitement has taken place.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 11:02   Link #983
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Spoiler for space:
You do realise that if this was an actual standard "slice of life" episode it would have been a beach episode
Old 2012-02-13, 14:50   Link #984
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
You do realise that if this was an actual standard "slice of life" episode it would have been a beach episode
Giving a show props simply for avoiding the most obvious and easiest of scripting choices for an episode is just about the emptiest of praises I think I can give, but I guess it can have it for what it's worth. :|
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 15:16   Link #985
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well indications from the episode preview and the future titles suggest things will speed up in plot and violence this coming episode.

Though I won't write off them having a beach episode with the high school girls. Just that Marika would seem to be busy soon with other pirate problems...or something.
Old 2012-02-13, 16:26   Link #986
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Persia barely controlled the area from Anatolia to India, just from West to East, and yet its emperors claimed to rule the entire world.
Ancient Empires have the excuse of literally not seeing the whole world. But even now, with our current technologies, we have a pretty good concept of how big a galaxy is. Likewise, we're aware of the presence of other galaxies.

Therefore, I cannot imagine a galactic empire oblivious to the size of its own galaxy, by which, this empire as the technological capability to traverse parts of a galaxy. Now, if limitations either technological, economical, or even political properties exist - then OK. Said empire has an excuse for not controlling the entire galaxy.

In the meantime - I shall continue to dream - about - a watery world... where Marikia... Chiaki... and maybe the whole yacht club... together at a futuristic water park.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 17:18   Link #987
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Ancient Empires have the excuse of literally not seeing the whole world. But even now, with our current technologies, we have a pretty good concept of how big a galaxy is. Likewise, we're aware of the presence of other galaxies.

Therefore, I cannot imagine a galactic empire oblivious to the size of its own galaxy, by which, this empire as the technological capability to traverse parts of a galaxy. Now, if limitations either technological, economical, or even political properties exist - then OK. Said empire has an excuse for not controlling the entire galaxy.

In the meantime - I shall continue to dream - about - a watery world... where Marikia... Chiaki... and maybe the whole yacht club... together at a futuristic water park.
Swimsuit episode.

Now where is Fanfic.net's Moretsu category... At the rate they are going, I'm going to have written a full My Babarossa Pirate Can't Be This Cute! spinoff by the time FF.net puts it up!!
Old 2012-02-13, 19:33   Link #988
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Swimsuit episode.

Now where is Fanfic.net's Moretsu category... At the rate they are going, I'm going to have written a full My Babarossa Pirate Can't Be This Cute! spinoff by the time FF.net puts it up!!
I think you can request that they add a category. I'm also anxiously awaiting a Bodacious Space Pirates category for FFN(FFN usually does English Title/Japanese Title in Katakana[?] for Anime/Manga.)
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-13, 23:47   Link #989
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I'm still confuse on how legal space pirates earn money by raiding ships during peace time but a poster from Random Curiosity thinks this how it works.
That's half of the process. Another way is to simply raid the ships of criminals/smugglers seeing that they're a part of the military.
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 00:32   Link #990
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbZeroNow View Post
I think you can request that they add a category. I'm also anxiously awaiting a Bodacious Space Pirates category for FFN(FFN usually does English Title/Japanese Title in Katakana[?] for Anime/Manga.)
Made that a while back, just waiting for them to get to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordblazer View Post
That's half of the process. Another way is to simply raid the ships of criminals/smugglers seeing that they're a part of the military.
That's what my story is about.
Old 2012-02-14, 02:01   Link #991
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Swimsuit episode.
Anywhere between episodes 16 to 20. I'll take it!

Think: Chiaki in a swimsuit.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 02:03   Link #992
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordblazer View Post
Quite possible - Lightning 11 definitely shows that there are criminal pirates around, who appear to be rather unsavory characters. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that bouties would exist on known pirates, and that prize ships might still be practiced by the various governments.

Given that Misa mentions they need to maintain a high level of profesionalism, as well as the fact that the Original Seven were launched/given Letters of Marque to augment Sea of the Morningstar's space forces (much like how England had privateers augmenting the Royal Navy, conducting commerce raiding and harassment operations against the Spanish), I wouldn't be surprised if part of the fine print is a clause that states that in the event of war, a privateer with a Letter of Marque can be recalled to duty as a frontline combatant.

Misa does note that legally, privateers are more or less military ships. Also, note that the Odette II has a fleet flagship's Command & Control suite - presumably at some point, while as the Hakuchou, she'd served as a flotilla leader

As for the reach of the Galactic Empire, from Misa's lecture it seems they employ a hands-off policy for the most part. While they logically have a number of fleets of their own, by and by they seem to be leaving security operations to local system defense fleets.

Quote:
Anywhere between episodes 16 to 20. I'll take it!

I want Jenny in a swimsuit. Also, I suspect that dear little Jenny Doolittle has some connection to the Odette II, and that the founder of the Girl's School may have had some connection to the old Hakuchou - it does seem a bit odd that an admittedly posh and prestigious school would have a former privateer as a training vessel. That's like Eton having the Golden Hind as their Yacht Club's ship, or a posh New York school running with the USS Constitution.

Also, the Original Seven? Seems like a nod to the Original Six Frigates of the US Navy.

As for what the future may hold, I doubt this is the last we'll see of Jenny, the Yacht Club, and the Odette II. I'm calling it now: the Odette II will sail again as a privateer, restored to her old name of Hakuchou. Possibly crewed by the Yacht Club - though admittedly if they're the crew, things are really bad.

The music is quite enjoyable, I think. Doesn't quite have the same feel as the Macross Frontier soundrack, but this is a different show. I do like the BGM that plays when Jenny and the Odette II are together - it has a strong Celtic/Irish feel, and subtly reinforces Jenny's Irishness. She's also something that I think is a bit rare in anime - a ship captain who is not an expert in technical or tactical skills, but someone who is able to manage and lead her crew, and leverage the strengths of her subordinates.

Well, it worked for Ike - no reason it can't work for her.

I'll say this about this show - it's been a bit slow, but somehow I'm enjoying it alot. In the end, I think, that's the whole point of entertainment - are we entertained and do we enjoy what we're watching? If so, then it's Mission Accomplished. Entertainment doesn't always have to be deep, neither does it always have to be gripping - there is room for surface level plot and relaxation.

Heh. In a way, this show is Aria but with space pirates. Now I'm starting to have the germ of an idea of a crossover.

I believe in miracles.

Last edited by Wild Goose; 2012-02-14 at 02:17.
Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 02:20   Link #993
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:

It will probably be something fairly conservative, which would make her all the more....oh my!

Endless "Thinking" Soul
Old 2012-02-14, 02:28   Link #994
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Given how she is, it's probably the typical unflattering one-piece school swimsuit, which manages to be fetish fuel despite - or perhaps because - of how much it covers.

Hakujho Academy's school swimsuit is probably a more modern race-style one piece...

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-02-14, 03:58   Link #995
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Actually we found it may be a nod to something older than the Original Six US Naval Frigates. George Washington commissioned and paid for Seven Privateers to help his forces during the early days of the Revolutionary War....before the Continental Congress had authorized a Navy or any sort of Privateering. In doing so he sort of pushed their hand as they didn't want to get a navy, but Washington already had a "navy" so Congress issues paperwork to make a Continental Navy as well as commission Privateers. That was in or before October of 1775.

None of these Seven survived the war. (actually most of the Continental Navy didn't survive the war ,and none of it survived the cuts post-war...which is where the Original Six Frigates came from...the rebirth of the Navy following the War)

The flag they used appears to have become the basis for the flag of the State of Vermont (the tree).

It is weird that I learned something about American History (as a historian that specailized in it) from a Japanese Anime.
Old 2012-02-14, 04:51   Link #996
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Aha, that's interesting to read. I suppose I ought to add that to the TV Tropes page.

Also, thinking on Kane being on that liner that was robbed, it's actually a pretty smart move. They'd like to settle things without bloodshed, and there's always a chance that there's a John McClane wannabe onboard one of those ships who'd try to fight back against the pirates. By having Kane show up to challenge Marika to the duel, they accomplish the following:

1) Resistance among the passengers is preempted by a dashing gentleman hero type who's working for the pirates.

2) The duel will end in favor of Marika, thus sapping the will of the passengers to resist.

3) Marika shooting Kane with that holdout gun shows (a) she's still a threat without her sword, (b) allows her to defeat Kane without breaking Suspension of Disbelief, (c) guns tend to make people back down.

4) It puts on a good show for the paying public, and lets Marika have a chance to get into her role of Pirate Captain.

I wouldn't be too surprised to learn that the cruise liner company and the privateers have a sort of arrangement, where they stage these pirate raids for the entertainment of the guests, split the proceeds, and ensure a minimum of bloodshed and danger.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-02-14, 05:20   Link #997
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Given how most of the passangers acted, and that the cruiser liner's crew left before the pirates arrived...and that they have stage lighting ready for Marika's pirates on the liner...and that everything Marika did was scripted. Yes it was entirely arranged. The Insurence company covers all the items stole by the pirates so the passangers effectively lose nothing.

I went to the Grand Canyon as a child (well I think I was eleven or twelve). There was a steam train ride out from I think Williams, Arizona out to the Canyon. It uses an old steam engine, old style cars (even has old style glass Coke bottles in multiple languages). On this trip, the train was stopped about half way there and boarded by train robbers. They stole something from a safe, after making sure everyone knew they were there, and then had a running fight with some law enforcement type though the whole length of the train. The robbers were fought off and the train continued on its way to the Canyon. This was quite obviously staged...as everyone was in period costume form around 1885. No one was hurt and nothing was stolen that I was aware of. It was part of the entertainment.

Marika's pirates, are part of the entertainment. The high class people could easily afford what was stolen (they probably didn't even have real jewelry on because there was a show coming). They go farther than the staged train robbers of the Grand Canyon Railway, but only slightly.

It would be like if they had (and they might) a 1700s pirate ship sail up to a cruise liner near the Virgin Islands and they boarded and stole some of the goods form the first class passangers only (not the middle class people that go on cruises as those would fight back if they didn't know it was a show...or might not be able to part with stuff of "just a show") and left after having a staged saber duel in the main dinning hall. And they would just sail off....the cruiser liner could likely outrun them in this instance if the pirate ship was actually only sail powered (likely has a navigation motor under codes)

In Mexico I did see some tall masted sailing ships that reminded me of those style of ships. One I think was even a "pirate ship" though I think it was actually the drinking ship for the college students and the sports crowd.

Something like this:

Arrrrrr!

The fog and the sunset help the effect I think.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-02-14 at 05:33.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-14, 09:25   Link #998
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

I still wonder why even in peace time, the pirates have to raid in order for their letters of marque to not be revoked....

Who do the authorities expect them to raid? Their former enemies? The Empire?

Also...people's memories sure are short...the independence war was barely a century ago...
Old 2012-02-14, 09:53   Link #999
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I believe it's been covered above. Keeping the Letters of Marque allows the Govt additional forces in case of wartime, and allows a monitoring and semi-legitimization of the trade. Also, from what we've seen with the passenger liners, it's obvious that the Privateers are in cahoots with the passenger liner companies to stage elaborate boarding actions as a means of entertainment for the passengers.

Also, as Lightning 11 has shown us, there still exist armed merchantmen moonlighting as pirates.

Also, we really need to draw a distinction between Privateers and pirates. Privateers are legalised and somewhat regulated pirates who have a Letter of Marque, a symbol of official sanction.

Pirates just go and steal whatever they can and shoot the survivors.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2012-02-14, 09:55   Link #1000
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:

Please, the Galactic Empire in Legend of Galactic Heroes controled a portion of the space in one of the arms of the Milky Way, and still calls itself the Galactic Empire. Even accounting the distance between stellar systems let alone stellar systems that have HABITABLE worlds, controling like a dozen of those is already PLENTY.

Just imagine the space, not even the time it would take to travel between one end to the other of the galaxy.

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri