AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 21 Rating
Perfect 10 88 59.06%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 41 27.52%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.05%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 3.36%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.34%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-23, 23:52   Link #61
puzk
I'm still a Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiseiseki View Post
Spoiler for I've seen this before?:

Just a few scences before that I said to myself, 'how is the accident scene going to turn out?' as I was watching that scene.

Funny thing is that I watched that youtube crash scene before, and I thought it looked similar, maybe KyoAni modelled the accident after this video.
Old 2007-02-23, 23:52   Link #62
superzombie23

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ajax- View Post
I don't care what anyone says, she got hit with a damn car and it was flying pretty damn fast.

She got hurt. AGH!
I laughed the first time I saw it along with a "WTF!!" The director could have done a better job of making the crash scene more serious looking instead of it being so random/funny, unless that's the way it's done in the original story.
Old 2007-02-24, 00:06   Link #63
-Ajax-
Fanatical Kyon Follower

Send a message via AIM to -Ajax-
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzk View Post
Just a few scences before that I said to myself, 'how is the accident scene going to turn out?' as I was watching that scene.

Funny thing is that I watched that youtube crash scene before, and I thought it looked similar, maybe KyoAni modelled the accident after this video.
Ooh now i can see the terrible tragedy frame by frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by superzombie23 View Post
I laughed the first time I saw it along with a "WTF!!" The director could have done a better job of making the crash scene more serious looking instead of it being so random/funny, unless that's the way it's done in the original story.
The picture of Harima i posted earlier matched my expression of the crash, lol, i had a feeling it would be a car accident when i saw a comment in another forum say "poor Akiko".
Old 2007-02-24, 00:16   Link #64
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

I will never understand why some people want to see more gore in the car-accident scene. Focus people. The accident is going to be a catalyst. It is not the main point of Nayuki's arc.

KyoAni could have gone all Hollywood on us and show us the accident in slow-mo and with more jazz, but why on earth would they want to do that? The focus on that chain of events was Nayuki's reaction to it, not Akiko's accident. Making the accident too 'fancy' would have destroyed the balance of plot importance.

Anyway, I would like to add that I like the symbolism of the strawberry cake. As I mentioned elsewhere, it gave the audience an idea of what the aftermath must have looked like. Subtlety at its' finest. A tasteful depiction( no pun intended) of what has just happened, without resorting to cheap thrills.

Cake = Car, Strawberry = Akiko.

Background distortion for the win!

Cheers.
Old 2007-02-24, 00:33   Link #65
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
  • It will have already dawned upon the observant, but notice how Nayuki is starting to become much more active than before. Why?
Hmm, I'd taken note of her increased activity, but I hadn't seen a motive aside from Yuuichi's own increased attention to other girls and recalled memories, all while neglecting her. Perhaps I've missed something important. I should probably be ashamed of myself.

Quote:
  • I had a mild mind-shock when Nayuki replied to Akiko's comment about the need to support one's family. Did Horie Yue just voice Nayuki at that moment or something? Nayuki sounded like Ayu at that point.
I didn't notice that, but I DID notice that Nayuki's voice, at several points in the episode, lost some of its "squeak" and took on a smoother, deeper, caring sound. It went well with the art depicting her looks as loving and pained at the same time.

Quote:
  • Did anybody else raise an eyebrow when Nayuki sprawled flat on her back and displayed her goods( with motion no less) to Yuuichi? Did those same eyebrows raise even higher when Yuuichi displayed zero reaction to such a sight?
Even though there was almost nothing to it, this was WAY too blatant. Only Ayu's bath-fanservice was less obvious.

Nayuki was exploited shortly before this, too, as she changed her slippers. I didn't catch it the first time, but that was some deft animation, and the ONLY reason for it was to say "ha ha, watch us animate this without up skirt shots".
Old 2007-02-24, 00:46   Link #66
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
~~ Nayuki was exploited shortly before this, too, as she changed her slippers. I didn't catch it the first time, but that was some deft animation, and the ONLY reason for it was to say "ha ha, watch us animate this without up skirt shots".
It's KyoAni... they have no qualms about displaying full nudity and lingeries, but heaven forbid that they animate a panty-shot. FMP!, SHnY, Kanon, etc... all attest to this lovable quirk of their's.

Narf.
Old 2007-02-24, 01:45   Link #67
suguru
京都 ikitai~

Quote:
I will never understand why some people want to see more gore in the car-accident scene. Focus people. The accident is going to be a catalyst. It is not the main point of Nayuki's arc.

KyoAni could have gone all Hollywood on us and show us the accident in slow-mo and with more jazz, but why on earth would they want to do that? The focus on that chain of events was Nayuki's reaction to it, not Akiko's accident. Making the accident too 'fancy' would have destroyed the balance of plot importance.

Anyway, I would like to add that I like the symbolism of the strawberry cake. As I mentioned elsewhere, it gave the audience an idea of what the aftermath must have looked like. Subtlety at its' finest. A tasteful depiction( no pun intended) of what has just happened, without resorting to cheap thrills.
I agree, I'm glad they didn't go with the gore, I felt bad enough for Akiko as it was. It's interesting Akiko stops to help a boy who fell down, and if she hadn't she wouldn't have been in the intersection during the accident. I don't remember that happening in the Toei version, but it somehow made me feel worse for her, she does a favor for someone and in return has 2,000 pounds of metal land on her head. I guess at least it wasn't an SUV.

Quote:

Background distortion for the win!

Cheers.
Good eye, I didn't even notice that, but it's a good effect.
Old 2007-02-24, 01:53   Link #68
Forever
Revealing the truth

Go go Nayuki go get some comfort sex from junichi!

Sorry watched too much kyoshiro to towa no sora...

Damn it man, as nayuki supporter it really hurts to watch this episode. Still not enough for tears though. Looks like I prepared those tissues a bit too early. Next ep perhaps? Nayuki really does not seem to have a chance at all eh... Sobz for my poor Nayuki.

The crash was really overkill. Can Akiko really survive that kind of a crash? Will the Akiko jam give the strength withstand a car crash like this?
Old 2007-02-24, 02:08   Link #69
eplipswich
The Anime Maniac

Quote:

Cake = Car, Strawberry = Akiko.
You know...now that you show to us the symbolism, there seems to be red stain near the strawberry, which may symbolize the blood ><. Good observation there ^_^

I only watch highly recommended animes ~ ~
Old 2007-02-24, 02:12   Link #70
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
I didn't notice that, but I DID notice that Nayuki's voice, at several points in the episode, lost some of its "squeak" and took on a smoother, deeper, caring sound. It went well with the art depicting her looks as loving and pained at the same time.
And that's closer to her real voice. A lot closer. *surprise surprise*

Nayuki's voice is definitely cute, but Kouda Mariko's usual voice is actually even slightly deeper than Hocchan's. Both her "cute" and "usual" versions of voice are pleasant to listen to though.
Old 2007-02-24, 02:44   Link #71
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The Nayuki scene distortion is a classic Peter Jackson effect --- nicely used here. What a roller coaster episode .... aieee.
Old 2007-02-24, 02:45   Link #72
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
Well, I guess Yuuichi's dull reaction (or none at all) to Nayuki falling back and showing her package is the last nail in Nayuki x Yuuichi coffin. He sees her as a sibling, and nothing more.

Anyway, is it sadistic to say that I laughed at the way Akkiko was struck by that car? Seriously, though, the whole scene was leading up to a suspenseful climax. The way the Yuuichi and Nayuki were called out to talk to a teacher, the way he drags on about something deadful happening, the way Akkiko slowly walks over the crossway, and then the MOST awkward accident happen out of the blue.

If this doesn't fly in the face of the car accident, amnesia-inducing drama, I don't know what does (For those of you who doesn't know this cliche, go look up Korean dramas, lifetime dramas, or stuff like that). It certainly feels like it's one of those tragic comedy, where the readers/viewers either get the inside joke and laugh, or remain oblivious and feels pity.

Or maybe it's just me, late in the night, dazed by juice that doesn't have preservatives

Edit: oh, and before that, a kid tripped right by Akkiko in another awkward fashion
Old 2007-02-24, 03:13   Link #73
Blue Reverie
Rank-and-file poster

As a first time viewer I only have one thing to say...

Spoiler for end of episode:

Old 2007-02-24, 03:17   Link #74
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There's a youtube video of a car crash with pedestrian victim that is almost *exactly* like Akiko's predicament - even down to the "vanishing" some have made fun of as "bad animation". I've seen more than my share of real life accidents --- they are usually disturbingly banal in execution until you see the results under the metal and hear the screams.
Old 2007-02-24, 03:47   Link #75
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

The episode was good and probably (almost certainly) the one which most provided clues about past happenings, hence the best one for serving the purpose of building a background, or if you prefere, the one putting together the major number of puzzle's pieces until now.

It was nearly perfect until minute 22:00. Note that I already knew of what was going to happen to Akiko, so emotionally the last scene didn't have a great impact on me (while I guess it would have had a terrible one in the opposite case). Despite this though, I was truly disappointed in the way they chose to show that scene. I mean, what is left of subtlety? Was there really a need of showing that scene in that brutal way?
If anything I think at the scene with Sayuri and the demon in episode 14: they showed Sayuri, the demon approaching, Sayuri again and then the cam zoomed away. And that's what I think they should have done in this case.
Everything was fine, from the teacher calling out Yuuichi and Nayuki to Akiko approaching to cross the street, and especially the cake on the ground with that shade of red, but I'm of the opinion that the scene of the crash should have been implied, and not actually showed (maybe a close up of Akiko with a frightened face, then a zoom out, and then the cake, perhaps an ambulance ... that's the way I had handled the scene).

When I saw it, I'd swear I had already seen a similar scene (as for being sudden yet violent) in another situation. Reading I see it was it was mentioned, it was from a teathrical movie.

Well, I can't explain it well, but I think that KyoAni had bad taste this time. The 9 I was going to give to the episode becomes an 8. But I will take it into account when considering the overall rating of the show, since in my eyes they completely failed conceptually, and the scene was so not in tone with the rest of this re-adaptation, and I just found it to be gratuitous, for the sake of spectacularity - so KyoAni not alike. This is coming from one who does watch a lot of horror and thriller movies, so it's not that I'm frightened or someghing. That's not the point. It's just that I'd like the things to be in the context they belong to, exactly as it didn't was here.

Usually I worship KyoAni, but this time I had to say this much. Perhaps, if I was a first time viewer, my reaction would have been different.

Back to the 21, this feeling matured throughout the last episodes, but especially came out with this: I've come to like Nayuki a lot, and to sympathize with her as much. All the girls of Kanon 2006 have had at least a glimpse of happiness, so I really hope that will happen to Nayuki as well (and this despite Ayu was my favourite character in 2002 and still I loved her in 2006).

Another note is that this show is penalized a lot by the "week by week" formula. It is so plently of indepths that it should be marathoned. Also, I regret I have watched 2002 version 3 years ago. It actually ruined my experience with this wonderful piece of art. And still it is not finished.
Enjoy, first time watchers until you can
Old 2007-02-24, 03:48   Link #76
DanielSong39

The similarity is uncanny...

I can only conclude that the accident scene was ripped directly from that youtube video.
Old 2007-02-24, 03:53   Link #77
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

We could theorize that they did some googling/youtubing to look for reference material....

@Pell: I definitely am going to marathon this show at the end of the series (like I did the last KyoAni production). Both seem to just flow better as a whole....
Old 2007-02-24, 04:25   Link #78
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
~ It was nearly perfect until minute 22:00. Note that I already knew of what was going to happen to Akiko, so emotionally the last scene didn't have a great impact on me (while I guess it would have had a terrible one in the opposite case). Despite this though, I was truly disappointed in the way they chose to show that scene. I mean, what is left of subtlety? Was there really a need of showing that scene in that brutal way?
If anything I think at the scene with Sayuri and the demon in episode 14: they showed Sayuri, the demon approaching, Sayuri again and then the cam zoomed away. And that's what I think they should have done in this case.
Everything was fine, from the teacher calling out Yuuichi and Nayuki to Akiko approaching to cross the street, and especially the cake on the ground with that shade of red, but I'm of the opinion that the scene of the crash should have been implied, and not actually showed (maybe a close up of Akiko with a frightened face, then a zoom out, and then the cake, perhaps an ambulance ... that's the way I had handled the scene).

When I saw it, I'd swear I had already seen a similar scene (as for being sudden yet violent) in another situation. Reading I see it was it was mentioned, it was from a teathrical movie.

Well, I can't explain it well, but I think that KyoAni had bad taste this time. The 9 I was going to give to the episode becomes an 8. But I will take it into account when considering the overall rating of the show, since in my eyes they completely failed conceptually, and the scene was so not in tone with the rest of this re-adaptation, and I just found it to be gratuitous, for the sake of spectacularity - so KyoAni not alike. This is coming from one who does watch a lot of horror and thriller movies, so it's not that I'm frightened or someghing. That's not the point. It's just that I'd like the things to be in the context they belong to, exactly as it didn't was here.

Usually I worship KyoAni, but this time I had to say this much. Perhaps, if I was a first time viewer, my reaction would have been different. ~
Wow. I actually hold an opposite opinion of what you feel. I felt that the accident has been rather downplayed.

No frills, no excessiveness, just raw damage. It was a no-holds barred scene, but to their credit, they did not overplay on it.

Personally, I would have cringed if they made 'car-crash scenario take-XX', where we see the Bambi-eyes of the victim before the screen goes black with accompanying sound-effects. Off-hand, I can already think of two, and if I apply more thought to it, probably a couple dozen more...

It can be said that KyoAni chose a more inspired way of showing the accident.

Cheers.
Old 2007-02-24, 04:43   Link #79
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Ep 21
I refuse to belive that Ayu's gone. No. Noway. Nu-huh. I was busy, so I've watched episodes 19, 20 and 21 in a row and you can't imagine how I felt. Ayu, the cute girl with mysterious past, the caring girl who always smiles, the one with the best catchphrase ever... simply vanishes.

In the middle of the series I've realized how beautiful and charming Nayuki is and begun to like her. I completely sympathise with her, and she really does deserve the best, but...

In my heart, it has always been and always will be Yuuichi x Ayu.

This episode was perfect as well. My eyebrows hurt because I've spent the whole time frowing and getting teary eyes at Ayu then at Nayuki's past. I'd like to give special appreciation to the director (I think it's him?) for making the awesome last scene:
Yuuichi remembering Nayuki's confession the BAM
Teachers come in and it switches back and forth between them and Akiko.

My heart feels so heavy... I'm really sad.
Old 2007-02-24, 04:47   Link #80
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
well that scene certainly had the shock factor down ~ i had trouble picking my jaw back up from the floor...
for a newbie like me i didnt/wouldnt have expected such a thing to happen so it was pretty surprising that it did ~

i really felt the impact of akiko's accident so much so that im planning on making an AMV to tribute her >.<

theres a clear reason to why akiko "disappeared" in that crash ~ think of the children! >.< they just cant show a flattened body with a pool of blood around ~ not in this kinda way tbh...

well things are definatly in motion now...with yuuichi remembering that a terrible person he is and now this hits his head i only wonder how much more trauma his soul can take

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Closed Thread