AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-19, 01:04   Link #3981
Dansen
U-u-u-aua

Yes they do...some googling brought me to here, but I'm not sure if that's the official site. It's not talked about much on English forums because it's not very foreigner-friendly (no languages other than Chinese)

Edit: hey, first post on 200th page. Who's going to get post 4000, I wonder?
Old 2009-10-19, 02:32   Link #3982
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

well i don't much about this saimoe stuff but now 09 goes to the taiga http://www.cartoonleap.com/2009/10/1...2009-is-taiga/ all hail the taiga?! http://www.animesaimoe.org/
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
Old 2009-10-19, 03:37   Link #3983
kyon91
Starcraft 2 player

Send a message via Yahoo to kyon91
Wow

She also won Korea Best Moe. I'm downloading Toradora.
Old 2009-10-19, 11:34   Link #3984
OverFunk
It will never be the year

You mean you didn't-

Oh well, this means the tournament accomplishes its objective.

Never forget
Old 2009-10-19, 13:21   Link #3985
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

A bit late (on my part) but it seems even the Abridgers found Saimoe:

Abrigded Yui: (Zeromaster/Just5Guys)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JZvF...eature=channel

Abridged Taiga: (AuricaIris/TaigaVision)
Responded, but I don't think she found out until later.

Oddly, this one was made for a grouping of TAG videos, but somehow fits the Yui vs. Minori match:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuPrZ...eature=channel
Old 2009-10-21, 01:15   Link #3986
Aya Reiko
Cutengu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
For Umineko....well it depends on how people take the story as it comes out. There are some real (or maybe fake...it can't be proven yet) scenes that can cause the need to protect some of the female characters in the story through the Fifth Game. And even up to the Fourth Game there are said moments, which will be touched on in the anime.

It probably won't have the impact that Higurashi did...moe-wise.

Beatrice has a following,
This is an example of a new charcter CD cover:

Maria might have one.
Shannon might have one (Rei voiced with a chest...really?)
Jessica could have one, but that's more for her relationship with Kanon.
The various furniture of the Witch would have their own following, but most of them are fanservice characters types.
Bern could have a following
Lambda might have a following.
A few of the parents might have followings, but not so much for moe.
There shouldn't be anything else...well, maybe one or two more characters that haven't appeared yet in the anime.
Not to mention...

Rika won the tourney in '07. Rika, who almost self-decapitates herself mid-series.
Also, Rena has almost always been a strong competitor. Nevermind what she does with a pipe and her father's golddigger gf.
Umineko will be "When They Cry"'s standard bearer in 2KX with the power trio probably being Jessica, Shannon, and Maria. (Beato will probably be a force to be reckoned with too. Maybe Rosa too.)
Old 2009-10-21, 01:27   Link #3987
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

I'm not sure as to why, but I really can't see much of Umineko participation in Saimoe next year... perhaps Maria, but that's about it. Higurashi is completely different from Umineko in my opinion, I don't think it's a good comparison.

Bakemonogatari is something I can agree with though, that's definitely going to be a prominent figure next year.
Old 2009-10-21, 03:18   Link #3988
Team Rocket Elite

I'll second Higurashi being a different beast than Umineko. I think Umineko is strong enough to get a fair number of characters into the main tournament, but most of them will be gone by the end of Round 1.

I haven't personally gotten around to watching Bakemonogatari, but from what I've heard it's going to be a strong force next year.
Old 2009-10-21, 04:10   Link #3989
wontaek

Some clarifications and adding what data I have.

#1. There exist only one or two ip address in Korea that can has not been blocked by 2-chan for the purpose of Saimoe. It is harder for Koreans to vote compared to people in North America or Europe. Consequently, number of Korean voters is lowered then USA and many other countries.

#2. All data seems to suggest that between third to half of the voters in ISML votes in Best Moe. Also, more than half the non-Korean voters in Best Moe seems to be voting in ISML. This guess is based upon all the voter trend and distribution reports ISML and Best Moe has released. The biggest difference between Best Moe and ISML comes from existence of large, mostly female, fan club voters in Best Moe without which might make ISML results and Best Moe results come close to within 1 ~ 2 %. Since so many matches in Best Moe and ISML is decided within that 1 ~ 2 %, it can still give impression of totally being different, but if you consider overall picture, there exist strong positive correlations between the two results.

#3. Based on above statements, while it is reasonable to guess Best Moe results from ISML results, same cannot be said about Saimoe as percentage of voter overlap is noticeably smaller between Saimoe and all other Moe Tournaments.

#4. Umineko and Bakemonogatari are two of the series that has gotten stronger reaction from Asian crowds compared to English speaking crowds. Among Asian crowds, may be due to screen time, Beatrice is said to be #1. Things will change as Umineko is still airing.

#5. Toradora winning in Best Moe was very predicatable given that the core Best Moe voters are very partial to a new series's main heroine(s). She also satisfy some other core fetish of being a tsundere, not well-endowed, and appearance that is less than 20, not made from Kyoto Animation, and is capable of soliciting favorable opinion from majority of females. Taiga even satisfy the super-fighter quality. Let me list the previous winner and please tell me if I missed anything else that is common between them

2006 Suiseiseki ( Rosen Maiden )
2007 Katsura Hinagiku ( Hayate no Gotoku )
2008 Horo ( Wolf and Spice )
2009 Aisaka Taiga ( Toradora )

In 2009, only other character that might have had chance was Akiyama Mio( K-ON ), but she isn't as strong a tsundere, is well endowed, not much combat capability, more likely be ignored or be cursed at by female anime watchers, and is from KyoAni made series. When you consider all the qualities I mentioned, you can see that there just wasn't many viable, popular alternatives to Aisaka Taiga. In this light, I believe it is safe to say we have not seen the most likely candidate to win Best Moe yet. Senjougahara Hitagi suffers the most from fading memory of the viewers as her series aired too early. Same with girls in Seitokai no Ichizon. The winner in Best Moe 2010 will very likely come from someone new from a new series that aired in first two quarter of the 2010. This trend can be broken, but you better start creating tons of web-cartoons, fan-arts, and animated materials based upon character you like, and hope that it will overwhelm people for the next 12 month.

#6. Also going by trend analogy, many people in Korea has been pointing to some trend in existence in Saimoe and believes that it is highly likely that Saki faction will continue to dominate next year and will become the winner. Haruhi series will give challenge, but 2-chan has long history of blocking ip-address that tends to vote for Haruhi characters. It also has been suggested that they don't like Shana voting ip as well. If you go strictly with within Japan popularity, Saki still have huge advantage and its fans will be even hungrier for victory, since they came so close.

#7. Speaking of Shana, it is just incredible how much support Shana maintains after all these years, outside Japan. It makes the contrast between Shana's performance outside Japan and inside Japan much sharper.
Old 2009-10-21, 04:23   Link #3990
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontaek View Post
#7. Speaking of Shana, it is just incredible how much support Shana maintains after all these years, outside Japan. It makes the contrast between Shana's performance outside Japan and inside Japan much sharper.
You only lose support after a long absence of new material. Shana has new material every 6months, and thus, is not affected by being a older character. Each year, she is born anew.

Other than that, I'm not sure how valid some of those points are...I mean, how do you know Japan blocks Haruhi and Shana voter I.P's or that Saki won't be weaker caused by fading memories. Not to mention a whole list of new characters for ISML 2010(Yuki, Haruhi, Fate, Hitagi, Nanoha, etc.)
Old 2009-10-21, 04:41   Link #3991
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aya Reiko View Post
Not to mention...

Rika won the tourney in '07. Rika, who almost self-decapitates herself mid-series.
Also, Rena has almost always been a strong competitor. Nevermind what she does with a pipe and her father's golddigger gf.
Umineko will be "When They Cry"'s standard bearer in 2KX with the power trio probably being Jessica, Shannon, and Maria. (Beato will probably be a force to be reckoned with too. Maybe Rosa too.)
2KX is an interesting way to say 2010 ...

Anyway I cant see that much Umineko competition either. I admit that I havent seen more of Umineko then 3 episodes and I love Shannon but she doesnt seem to be able to even survive the first fight. Jessica might or might not get into the 2nd round as well as Maria but probably will be eliminated there. I see Beato to have the most potential of them all. Rosa not so much.

That said as usual it depends a LOT on the groups. They might get strong groups and have absolutely no chance of winning or they might get lucky and win their group, although unlikely.
Old 2009-10-21, 07:50   Link #3992
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
You only lose support after a long absence of new material. Shana has new material every 6months, and thus, is not affected by being a older character. Each year, she is born anew.

Other than that, I'm not sure how valid some of those points are...I mean, how do you know Japan blocks Haruhi and Shana voter I.P's or that Saki won't be weaker caused by fading memories. Not to mention a whole list of new characters for ISML 2010(Yuki, Haruhi, Fate, Hitagi, Nanoha, etc.)
Almost all IP address in Korea and most of Chinese IP address is blocked before even the voting gets started. Many Western IP address is also blocked. The reason given by 2-chan people is because these IP address tends to favor characters from certain series. Best Moe, ISML, and Chinese Saimoe has repeatedly shown that voters in those moe tournaments heavily favor Kyo-Ani made series or Shana series in contrast with Japanese Saimoe. I can't think of other series that would suffer as much as these by 2-chan ip block. ( Hayate faction will suffer due to Korean IP being blocked, but until recently, Hayate faction underachieved in ISML or Saimoe, that is until Hinagiku suddenly started winning in Double Elimination phase in ISML )

Saki series still has on going manga series in Japan. Saki also may have made Mahjong very popular as well. It will be hard for people to forget Saki. Also consider the staying power of Rozen Maiden.

Another reason why I suspect Saki series to remain strong is that while fans of other series can be sidetracked by other anime series, the voting patterns seems to suggest that Saki fans are very loyal to their faction and probably won't blink at all the other moe materials thrown at them. This is very reminiscent of the Rozen Maiden faction which is why I think somebody in Saki faction might win on their 2nd try, just like that it took Rozen 2 years to achieve victory.
Old 2009-10-21, 08:00   Link #3993
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

I wouldn't put much thought into it until you actually see it happen. Personally, I don't see Saki performing on par with what they did this year, let alone actually performing better. And Japan bans entire i.p. regions, I doubt they're specifically picking out Shana and Kyoani voters to ban. Just because both are popular in China, doesn't mean that's the reason they're being banned. It's not Japan's fault that every other country tend to be so linear with their voting preference. I mean there are thousands of anime(Well, not within 2010, but there is still well over 100), and the only characters you can come up with that are going to be affected by 2-chan blocking I.p's is Shana and Kyoani? Seriously? Truth is, voting is much tougher in Saimoe, and it weeds out the mainstream voters, so I.P. blockage or not, Kyoani and Shana wouldn't do much better. imho...As the westerners voting actually have knowledge of other anime. Back in 2006 we saw what it was like with few blocked I.P's. Nothing much really changed. Infact, Shana nearly lost to Evangeline.(2007 back when there was large vote totals) She tied, actually. All while Nanoha and Rozen characters raped in 2006, back when the vote totals were highest.
Old 2009-10-21, 08:07   Link #3994
chaosprophet

Demi, I believe he meant that many of the voters from China, Korea and ISML can't vote in saimoe, but many of those happens to favor KA or Shan. More like a consequence than a cause.

Anyway I too have my doubts that Saki will do as well next year as the series would have ended for a long time. But there is always a chance of a new Saki season being released by then... if they wait the manga to catch up it will take long but as in the last episodes of the first season they already had surpassed manga material, I wouldn't be surprised if they just went original in a new season.

Last edited by chaosprophet; 2009-10-21 at 08:27.
Old 2009-10-21, 08:12   Link #3995
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Well I since edited my point and put more of what I wanted to anyways. So still say it wouldn't make a bit of difference.
Old 2009-10-21, 10:59   Link #3996
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Blocking out mainstream voters: You mean all you have left are the ones who care not about moe but care more about faction/hate-voting.
Old 2009-10-21, 15:04   Link #3997
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Saki might press on, but it more likely will be derailed by the next big thing, much like Strike Witches was derailed. Remember them...the huge thing in Japan that was basically decimated by Saki characters.

Umineko on the other hand....much like Higurashi...things change in each arc. Different characters are focused on, and different people die at different times...sometimes with a fight even. One arc in, much like Higurashi one arc in, won't tell you all that much about each character....nor the story really.

I can see people voting for the Stakes of Purgatory, Beatrice, Maria, Shannon, and a few other characters by the end of the anime.

A notation for Umineko in relation to Best Moe...Unimeko has a lot of fangirls. I'm pretty sure most of the main Game threads have a majority female poster rating.
Old 2009-10-21, 16:21   Link #3998
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Blocking out mainstream voters: You mean all you have left are the ones who care not about moe but care more about faction/hate-voting.
The more serious the fan, the more strategic voting that exists. Either way, it still blocks out mainstream voters, and gives weaker characters a fair chance to atleast make it past round or two before their inevitable rape. Meanwhile SBM and ISML have a group of core characters that simply never lose, unless vs. eachother. Main difference between Saimoe, and the other two, is that the results are actually quite different from year to year.
Old 2009-10-21, 18:30   Link #3999
chaosprophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
The more serious the fan, the more strategic voting that exists. Either way, it still blocks out mainstream voters, and gives weaker characters a fair chance to atleast make it past round or two before their inevitable rape. Meanwhile SBM and ISML have a group of core characters that simply never lose, unless vs. eachother. Main difference between Saimoe, and the other two, is that the results are actually quite different from year to year.
Well at least regarding ISML it's mostly because it's an all time contest, and a long one to booth. So characteres that have sudden surges of popularity won't do that much. They need to be popular for long. and the chracters you see on top of ISML rankings are usually characters who would do well in saimoe if they were able to participate in it this year.
Old 2009-10-21, 18:31   Link #4000
Seishi
Kholdy's Slave

Send a message via AIM to Seishi Send a message via MSN to Seishi Send a message via Yahoo to Seishi
4000 GET! Never thought it'd get that long, lol.

Umineko could definitely be an X-Factor for next year's tournament. At this point I really have no idea, though...

Saki faction could pay out the arse for their performance this year. Or they could turn into Rozen Maiden.

Tags
anime, characters, competition, saimoe