AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 18 Rating
Perfect 10 95 49.22%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 52 26.94%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 23 11.92%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 5.18%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.07%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.52%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.04%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.52%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.52%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 2.07%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-29, 16:44   Link #101
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Spoiler for Ep18:

Last edited by FlareKnight; 2009-10-29 at 17:12.
Old 2009-10-29, 17:08   Link #102
Workworkwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarthX View Post
I have no problem with Ange's appearance or voice.

Ange and Maria are two characters you'd have to crazy to think the VN designs are better.
It's not so much a question of better as the anime's designs are even worse.

Anyway, I didn't like a number of other things they did, including the fact that

Spoiler for Lambdadelta:
Old 2009-10-29, 17:17   Link #103
Hareoic
There will be burgers

Virgillia's smirk will forever haunt my dreams.
Old 2009-10-29, 17:26   Link #104
Golden Witch Drugs
しゆあげいん。

The VN designs always have the power, always.

Spoiler for I mean just look at it:
Old 2009-10-29, 17:31   Link #105
ParasolPop

I heard the Jessica/Kanon fans were raging about this episode, and I can see why. I adore the pairing too, but I knew that their meeting would be cut. That waffle about 'the princess with the golden hair', and 'the cowardly servant boy' I knew would never be left in. I'm glad they left in the, 'call me Jessica' part, though. I liked how sudden Beato's piercing was. YES, AWESOME MUSIC. 'あかいくつ偽' is a God tier song. That truly was an excellent scene. Enthralling, full of suspence right up until Evatrice went to stomp on her heart. Playing 'core' as they went into the meta-world was a nice touch, as was Beato blushing. Oh Evatrice, knocking over poor Ronove's tea. ;_;

Awesome, 'Dread of the grave'. I liked the colouring while Beato was fishing through Hideyoshi's pockets, actually. Very subdued. There was something sinister about the way Virgilia looked when she said she gained a good disciple. Understandable, considering what happens in the next few scenes. Oh, that scene with Beatrice and Battler killed me. It's good to see Battler crying again. Battler_crying_with_hand_in_pocket.jpg also kills me, but in a totally different way, hah. Really nice effect when everyone disintegrated into gold butterflies. No, Battler. Don't cry. Oh, nooooo, the shooting scene I didn't like at all, I have to say. The eyes are too... urgh, just weird. It had an impact in the VN because they were totally blank, and soulless. The shooting sound as we went straight into the music also really helped.

'Happiness of Marionette', at long last! I really like how DEEN spruced it up, and made it sound all orchestrated. Placing Gohda next to some of the goats was hilarious. Lol, DEEN. The, 'sign, sign!' part wasn't as unsettling as it was in the VN, not even their faces helped. I'm glad they weren't just any old crazyfaces though. Their teeth on the other hand, was a whole different level of scary. Yes, Ange! Break through that illusion. The song they played was totally apt, whatever it was. Very eerie. And oddly enough, DEEN did that part way better than it was in the VN. They made Beato's hesitation much more obvious, and you could tell that she really was conflicted. Ange's seyiuu is perfect, I couldn't be happier. She sounds serious when she needs to be, but not overpoweringly so.

Oh Lambda, you lovable little lesbian. Oh my, the year haven't been kind to Eva, have they? :That scene with Ange starting down the building was beautiful, I'm really impressed with that. But I thought she saw Bernkastel after she started falling? Guess I picked that up wrong. Or maybe I just can't really remember. What would have made that scene even more perfect is playing 'active pain', but I guess I'm content either way.
Old 2009-10-29, 17:34   Link #106
Marion
The Great Dine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParasolPop View Post
But I thought she saw Bernkastel after she started falling? Guess I picked that up wrong. Or maybe I just can't really remember. What would have made that scene even more perfect is playing 'active pain', but I guess I'm content either way.
In the VN Bern showed up before Ange even was on the other side of the fence I think. I mean, Bern showing up as Ange was falling wouldn't help Ange very much at all
Old 2009-10-29, 17:37   Link #107
ParasolPop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
In the VN Bern showed up before Ange even was on the other side of the fence I think. I mean, Bern showing up as Ange was falling wouldn't help Ange very much at all
Hah, it really wouldn't. But thanks for clearing that up, I was pretty confused for about oh, five seconds.
Old 2009-10-29, 17:44   Link #108
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
That was some good stuff, though Eva suddenly saying she did it and shooting him seemed a bit so sudden. It was all a big trap, as would have been expected. Beatrice really is good at faking emotions, but apparently this is part of a greater plot by Lambdadelta!

The plot moved around pretty smooth and cleanly. Battler's "over 9000" moment where the Siestas cower away hugging each other and Ange's entrance would have to be the highlights of the episode. The contract part was pretty amusing as Battler reads the fine print while the two witches show off their saviness. The introduction to Ange will seem to lead to something intresting, she's a cool character; we'll have to get to know her better. 9/10

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2009-10-29 at 17:54.
Old 2009-10-29, 17:46   Link #109
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

WTF! So tsundere Beatrice was all just an act? I'm kinda glad to see that as this arc made me lower my expectations for this series, I hated the sudden change in Beatrice but it surprised me nonetheless.

Just when you think Beatrice found redemption...
Old 2009-10-29, 17:57   Link #110
Hareoic
There will be burgers

Quote:
The eyes are too... urgh, just weird. It had an impact in the VN because they were totally blank, and soulless.
Not entirely. In the VN, she had those Higurashi slits for pupils, but it was harder to see them because her iris was dark grey.

Quote:
The, 'sign, sign!' part wasn't as unsettling as it was in the VN, not even their faces helped. I'm glad they weren't just any old crazyfaces though. Their teeth on the other hand, was a whole different level of scary.
Oh god, the teeth...
Old 2009-10-29, 18:24   Link #111
Riskbreaker

Hmm, so Virgilia was playing the double agent huh?

Was the magical punch-up with Beato all part of the act, or did it start when she gave her the "how to worm your way into Battler's affections" advice? Well regardless of when it was, between that & Beato's trolling ability, Battler was well & truly hung out to dry. Nice job ladies.

Still, i can't help but think that it may have not been a complete act on Beato's part. That very brief teary-eyed moment before she let the cat out of the bag, coupled with Lambdadelta's "keep playing or else!" threat toward Beato makes it look like there's much more to it than it seems. It certainly looks far more as a rock/hard place for her than it is even for Battler.

Ange's entrance kicked arse, and she certainly looks to be the interesting character. Especially after that little exchange with zombie-reject looking Eva. I assume a pretty nasty disease or something?

Anywho, a brilliant episode, so i'm giving it a 10.

Last edited by Riskbreaker; 2009-10-29 at 18:39.
Old 2009-10-29, 18:48   Link #112
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riskbreaker View Post
Hmm, so Virgilia was playing the double agent huh?

Was the magical punch-up with Beato all part of the act, or did it start when she gave her the "how to worm your way into Battler's affections" advice? Well regardless of when it was, between that & Beato's trolling ability, Battler was well & truly hung out to dry. Nice job ladies.

Still, i can't help but think that it may have not been a complete act on Beato's part. That very brief teary-eyed moment before she let the cat out of the bag, coupled with Lambdadelta's "keep playing or else!" threat toward Beato makes it look like there's much more to it than it seems. It certainly looks far more as a rock/hard place for her than it is even for Battler.

Ange's entrance kicked arse, and she certainly looks to be the interesting character. Especially after that little exchange with zombie-reject looking Eva. I assume a pretty nasty disease or something?

Anywho, a brilliant episode, so i'm giving it a 10.
Well I'm willing to bet it was all from the start. Maybe Virgilia was watching and saw that Beatrice's current method wasn't going to work. She was just backing him into a corner and people fight their hardest when in that kind of position. First she shows up to fight Beatrice and thus make herself appear like she isn't on her side. Plus helping him would also make her seem less of a threat. At the same time he's accepting the help of a witch and can see that they aren't all bad. Then you have Beatrice changing her demeanor and seeming to be less of a foe to Battler. It was a pretty good plan I'll say. Certainly is harder to fight someone you think isn't so bad than someone you hate.

Might be possible it wasn't a 100% act. Either way Battler certainly can't afford to consider that kind of stuff. This experience more than anything should confirm that he can't see Beatrice as anything other than an avatar of evil. Can't back down or weaken his resolve at all or it's over.
Old 2009-10-29, 18:51   Link #113
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riskbreaker View Post
Still, i can't help but think that it may have not been a complete act on Beato's part. That very brief teary-eyed moment before she let the cat out of the bag, coupled with Lambdadelta's "keep playing or else!" threat toward Beato makes it look like there's much more to it than it seems.
naïve! Still think that there is any goodness in Beato. Actually, Virgillia was more of a surprise than Beato for me. I was always expecting a betrayal from her but not from Virgillia.
Old 2009-10-29, 19:02   Link #114
Vegitto-kun

you know

I really loved bronove's stupid smile after the endless 9
Old 2009-10-29, 19:14   Link #115
becky-chan
i smell tasty nom noms..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegitto-kun View Post
you know

I really loved bronove's stupid smile after the endless 9
same. It was so awesome.

And my heart got crushed when Beato turned out to be lying, and I thought BattlerXBeato was going to be true after all..
And the Eva saying "Lulz,i am the culprit" and then shooting Battler was really sudden, I was like "Wat." Her eyes were really weird looking in that scene also,arg.
But one scene I loved was the one with Ange and Bern. It was so pretty, and I just like Bern a lot, maybe its because she reminds me of Rika from Higurashi. I like Ange so far too, she seems to be a pretty cool character so far. Can't wait to see more of her.
Old 2009-10-29, 19:33   Link #116
Luxa

Well, it was pleasant surprise. During the first half of the episode I was making faces at the monitor, Beatrice"s character has been completely derailed. I was kind of thinking about her just acting all the way, but Virgilia came out of the blue.
Also I wonder if it is just a game between Lambdadelta and Bernkastel. The other witches could be just Lambda's pieces...

Quote:
Originally Posted by becky-chan View Post
It was so pretty, and I just like Bern a lot, maybe its because she reminds me of Rika from Higurashi. I like Ange so far too, she seems to be a pretty cool character so far. Can't wait to see more of her.
My problem is with Bern that she does not remind me of Rika at all. And even Rika as Bernkastel was a more likeable character, she had her good moods and optimism and pessimism etc.
Umineko Bernkastel is too detached and passive for my tastes. Actually I found her more creepy than anyone else in the show.
Old 2009-10-29, 19:39   Link #117
Fawx9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxa View Post
My problem is with Bern that she does not remind me of Rika at all. And even Rika as Bernkastel was a more likeable character, she had her good moods and optimism and pessimism etc.
Umineko Bernkastel is too detached and passive for my tastes. Actually I found her more creepy than anyone else in the show.
I think this might be the cause of Bern not having many scenes for her to be shown in. She's had a few, her intro, a few tea parties and now but until now I don't remember her speaking much more than a few lines then disappearing for episodes at a time.
Old 2009-10-29, 19:54   Link #118
Justice Knight
Haro Pwned U!!!!

Spoiler for for this episode:
Old 2009-10-29, 19:55   Link #119
Volcanic
fire of fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice Knight View Post
Spoiler for for this episode:
If it's not in red, you can't trust it...
Old 2009-10-29, 20:02   Link #120
Antera Caramichael
French Maid

It's up to you. You will never have the confirmation of someone being the culprit, that is what Ryukishi said from the begining.
Closed Thread