AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2019-11-06, 07:23   Link #101
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

The latest article does a good job going into anaerobic and aerobic training for sport -- I know a few people who do amateur racewalking, and they gave something similar when talking about why they practiced short running too.

It also makes me want to ask this unrelated questions: If humans (and animals, I presume) can train to build up their strength, speed and endurance, then can plants do the same? How good can they adapt to drastic change in oxygen inthe atmosphere?
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-06, 19:17   Link #102
crazyidiot78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
The latest article does a good job going into anaerobic and aerobic training for sport -- I know a few people who do amateur racewalking, and they gave something similar when talking about why they practiced short running too.

It also makes me want to ask this unrelated questions: If humans (and animals, I presume) can train to build up their strength, speed and endurance, then can plants do the same? How good can they adapt to drastic change in oxygen inthe atmosphere?
Thanks, and to answer your question I don't really know. I did do a quick search on the subject and the few scholarly articles I looked at states that they do adapt. However unlike animals that adapt in ways to increase oxygen supply, plants make adaptations to lower the need for oxygen, specifically lowering metabolic rates, etc. I do know that there is a form of the light dependent reactions (the first half of photosynthesis) that is found in photosynthetic organisms that like in anaerobic (no or low oxygen environments) called cyclic phosphorilation.
crazyidiot78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-05, 07:35   Link #103
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

It's a nice coincidence to read a post on your blog about the perfect pitch, since I also came across one of the article you linked in the description just a few days ago.

I have got to ask this, though: Do you have any familiarity with playing instruments? Do you have any opinion on the so-called perfect pitch (A.K.A. tuning the instruments to 256 Hz)
Old 2020-01-05, 18:47   Link #104
crazyidiot78

Quote:
It's a nice coincidence to read a post on your blog about the perfect pitch, since I also came across one of the article you linked in the description just a few days ago.

I have got to ask this, though: Do you have any familiarity with playing instruments? Do you have any opinion on the so-called perfect pitch (A.K.A. tuning the instruments to 256 Hz)
Sadly no, the extent of my musical experience ended in the 4th grade with the clarinet after my teacher said I couldn't play sports anymore and I picked sports. So I can't really answer your question.
Old 2020-10-10, 11:05   Link #105
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

I hope that you are still around on this forums and see this. I am glad that you started making post again. Hope that we will see another scienctific breakdown in the future.

Also, I notice that there are some of your old posts from 2018 and before are missing images. Maybe you should check out on them?
Old 2020-10-14, 21:08   Link #106
crazyidiot78

Quote:
I hope that you are still around on this forums and see this. I am glad that you started making post again. Hope that we will see another scienctific breakdown in the future.

Also, I notice that there are some of your old posts from 2018 and before are missing images. Maybe you should check out on them?
Not to worry I am still around, but I do not check in often as I don't seem to get much in the way of traffic here. I do have some science stuff in the idea bin but the muse is being a frustrating pain in the but. As for the old posts I will look into them and see what the problem is.
Old 2020-12-10, 08:53   Link #107
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

I've just read your article on Komi-san. This is actually something I noticed when watching that show! Many people in my family have conditions similar to that, though they also have diabete and liver problems (which you mentioned). My hands too sweat a lot, but it only happens in the winter.

Anyway, looking forward to more biology and medical articles from you!
Old 2020-12-12, 09:06   Link #108
crazyidiot78

Quote:
I've just read your article on Komi-san. This is actually something I noticed when watching that show! Many people in my family have conditions similar to that, though they also have diabete and liver problems (which you mentioned). My hands too sweat a lot, but it only happens in the winter.

Anyway, looking forward to more biology and medical articles from you!
I am glad I was able to teach you something new. I've got another on head injuries in the pipeline.
Old 2021-02-21, 10:41   Link #109
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Say, have you ever thought about gymnastic and acrobatic? We will soon get a show about gymnastic called Bakuten, which somehow made me recalled Kaleido Star years and years ago.
Old 2021-02-21, 13:58   Link #110
crazyidiot78

Quote:
Say, have you ever thought about gymnastic and acrobatic? We will soon get a show about gymnastic called Bakuten, which somehow made me recalled Kaleido Star years and years ago.
Not really as I do not know much about those sports, but there is always something, so I won't discount it. And I remember Kaleido Star it was a fun one for the most part and I did do 2 posts on it.
Old 2021-02-23, 23:50   Link #111
Garr

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyidiot78 View Post
So here we go. I am a science teacher who has been watching anime for a long time, and after several class discussions about science in anime I decided to explore the topic further. The goal is to take a somewhat critical eye to how various science topics as they are presented in anime. I want to see what and how much they get right, and what and how much they get wrong. Now when having a discussion like this the level to which you take the science is important, so I will be holding the science to the level covered in your basic high school classes. This is two fold, one I think I can reach a larger audience this way. Second is that I don't teach the higher level stuff and my background is more limited in the area of physics and inorganic chemistry.

With that over with here you go.

Blog Anime Science 101 - Examining the viability of science in our favorite anime
http://www.animescience101.com/

Below is a rough draft on the Gundanium from Gundam fame
Titanium is already lighter but stronger than steel while also having a higher melting point: steel melts at 1370C while titanium melts at 1668C.

This is why titanium is used to build the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird which was invented by Clarence Johnson in 1964 and is the fastest jet powered plane in the world with a top speed of 3,540 km/h because at that speed, the ram air pressure and air friction generated by the supersonic aircraft would either crush the vehicle or vaporize it if it used only aluminum.

The Blackbird is so fast that turbines would not be strong enough to withstand the ram-air pressure at such speeds so it uses a ram air compressor to initially compress the air and slow it down to subsonic speeds before entering the converging duct to avoid damaging the turbines.

Titanium is also used to build spacecraft along with aluminum.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird

Below is an image of the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird:

Trains and motor vehicles today are made of aluminum because it is 2 times stronger than steel but only 0.3333 of its weight.

The M-10000, invented by William Bushnell Stout in 1933, is the 1st high speed diesel bullet train and the 1st diesel train to be made of aluminum and it has a top speed of 177 km/h.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-10000

Below is an image of the M-10000:

The Dymaxion Car, invented by Buckminster Fuller in 1933, is the 1st car to be made of aluminum and it has a top speed of 145 km/h and a fuel economy of 13km/l.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dymaxion_car

Below is an image of the Dymaxion Car:

The Pennsylvania Railroad Class GG1, invented by Donald R. Dohner and Raymond Loewy in 1934, is the 1st high speed electric bullet train and the 1st electric train to be made of aluminum and it has a top speed of 160 km/h while pulling 14 train cars. The freight version has a top speed of 145 km/h while also pulling 14 train cars.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsy...road_class_GG1

Below is an image of the Pennsylvania Railroad Class GG1:

Carbon fiber is now being used to make vehicles.

In 2005, Paul Priestman invents the double-deck passenger plane called the Airbus A380 for Airbus and 20% of the plane is made of carbon fiber while the rest of it is made of aluminum which gives it a top speed of 1099 km/h while carrying 800 passengers.

Below is an image of the Airbus A380:

In 2010, Joe Justice invents the 1st car made entirely of carbon fiber, including its engine, and it has a top speed of 240 km/h and a fuel economy of 49km/l.

Sources:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevede.../#782d163928bf
https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...icient-Car-Top

Below is an image of the carbon fiber car:

Last edited by Garr; 2021-03-04 at 18:38.
Garr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-02, 09:41   Link #112
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Hey, is there anything wrong happen to the blog lately? I just can't visit it.
Old 2022-06-02, 14:49   Link #113
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Site must be down for some reason

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anime, anime science, science