Old 2017-02-25, 10:50   Link #81
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Kim Jong-nam killing: Suspect 'was paid $90 for baby oil prank'
Old 2017-03-05, 04:04   Link #82
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

N. Korean ambassador given 48 hours to leave

Congratulation North Korea. You just pissed off one of the few nations friendly to you for your asshole behavior and killing a defector in their country.
Old 2017-03-05, 06:50   Link #83
Draco Spirit

In all honesty I not be surprised if North Korea gets invaded within Trumps time in the White House. They seem to be making progress on the nukes (which makes people nervous) and even China, the only major power who resistant to the idea of them being attacked, is getting frustrated with them. So I suspect either China going to invade and set up a puppet state, or America will and hand the running of North Korea to South Korea after the dust has cleared.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-05, 07:31   Link #84
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If North Korea rattles too much at the locals, the Chinese will have to be involved in an effort to show they are the leaders in Asia, rather than the Americans.
Old 2017-03-05, 22:52   Link #85
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Spirit View Post
In all honesty I not be surprised if North Korea gets invaded within Trumps time in the White House. They seem to be making progress on the nukes (which makes people nervous) and even China, the only major power who resistant to the idea of them being attacked, is getting frustrated with them. So I suspect either China going to invade and set up a puppet state, or America will and hand the running of North Korea to South Korea after the dust has cleared.
If China has been serious about the prospect of invading North Korea because of the problem they have become, it would have been done a long time ago. I have my doubts about how much trust the central Chinese government has in its own armed forces when this is arguably the only mission (invading North Korea) of which the majority of the world might approve at this moment.

As for the Americans, the biggest roadblock to an invasion from the South is South Korea because they just don't seem willing to do what West Germans did in the years following the fall of the Berlin Wall. It's like saying there's very little potential for anyone to take from North Koreans after the regime gets destroyed.

Last edited by Toukairin; 2017-03-05 at 23:46.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-09, 09:27   Link #86
monir
cho~ kakkoii

US Navy Strike Group to Move to Korean Peninsula

In light of the bomb-drops in Syria by those destroyers, I'm looking forward to the state sponsored response out of North Korea.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-10, 17:57   Link #87
Draco Spirit

To be honest I'm expecting a joint attack on NK from China and USA either this month or the next.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-10, 18:45   Link #88
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco Spirit View Post
To be honest I'm expecting a joint attack on NK from China and USA either this month or the next.
It wouldn't be the first time such agreement is reached should that happen anyhow. People will sure not like it, but Germany and the USSR had a similar agreement to split Poland in two from September 1939 and until Hitler had the silly idea to invade the USSR.

However, no one knows how much confidence the central Chinese government has in its armed forces for some reason. Since I haven't read what military experts who have contacts in China write, I cannot tell what is the level of confidence over there. Also the last time Chinese troops were involved in hostile territory (that was just last October), it was regarded as a disaster.

Last edited by Toukairin; 2017-04-10 at 23:54.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-10, 22:57   Link #89
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toukairin View Post
Also the last time Chinese troops were involved in hostile territory (that was just last October), it was regarded as a disaster.
The Chinese haven't fought a land engagement since the 1979 War with Vietnam which was not a clear win for either side as I recall. Other than bullying smaller states like the Philippines and Vietnam in the South China Sea, Chinese has little recent experience of warfare. I can understand why they would be concerned about the condition of their forces.

I don't see any engagement on the Peninsula that doesn't result in thousands or even millions of dead Koreans. Worst case a fallout cloud spreads to Japan and across the Pacific. I've lived for a long time without seeing a nuclear exchange; I don't want to see one now.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-11, 18:20   Link #90
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

My two brothers and I and a friend are going on a trip to Japan from May 9th to May 25th...should we reconsider the trip? Or should we go anyways? I don't know how dicey things are over there right now. Should we be pretty worried? Should we be worried about a nuclear strike on Japan?
Old 2017-04-11, 19:50   Link #91
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
My two brothers and I and a friend are going on a trip to Japan from May 9th to May 25th...should we reconsider the trip? Or should we go anyways? I don't know how dicey things are over there right now. Should we be pretty worried? Should we be worried about a nuclear strike on Japan?
I am going to be frank. If Japan actually get nuked, then nobody is safe. I would go if I were you, because 1. it is extremely unlikely and 2. If WW3 is going to start, I would rather do something I enjoy.

As far as I can tell, the Japanese population are not worried about it. South Koreans are the ones who are under threat. Japan is just not the top priority target.
Old 2017-04-11, 22:45   Link #92
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Just go lol.... If you are worried, then avoid any major city or areas with military bases. The best things in Japan are literally in remote countryside anyway

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2017-04-11 at 23:24.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 06:43   Link #93
Key Board
Carbon

what motivates Trump is usually his projected image. He's treating this presidency like a reality show and he wants to show off.
what motivates Kim Jong Un is own self survival and severe distrust. He has no qualms killing off family, probably out of paranoia, to ensure his position

If Kim were to interpret the recent actions in Syria as Trump willing get his hands messy, and not just saber rattling. how would Kim react?
How would his inner circle (what's left of it?) react

Someone who is cornered and has nothing else to lose can do horrible things
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 10:18   Link #94
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I am going to be frank. If Japan actually get nuked, then nobody is safe. I would go if I were you, because 1. it is extremely unlikely and 2. If WW3 is going to start, I would rather do something I enjoy.

As far as I can tell, the Japanese population are not worried about it. South Koreans are the ones who are under threat. Japan is just not the top priority target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Just go lol.... If you are worried, then avoid any major city or areas with military bases. The best things in Japan are literally in remote countryside anyway

Yeah, I guess I just got a bit concerned when looking at all that is going on over there.
Old 2017-04-12, 12:35   Link #95
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I also tend to think that a military invasion of some kind is going to take place in North Korea relatively soon.

I think the use of a chemical nerve agent to assassinate someone in an international airport of a country friendly to North Korea is what put us on this path. I mean, just read that sentence and think about just how flagrant and hostile such an action is.

The risk of action against North Korea is now less than the risk of not acting.

Think about it from China's perspective. Kim Jong-nam was connected to China, my guess is that he was sort of their back up plan in case they decided they needed a more biddable ruler of N. Korea.

Assassinating him can be viewed as trying to limit China's options. Additionally it was done in a way that flaunts traditional codes of state behavior, demonstrates a callous disregard for the lives of innocent civilians of all other nations, and shows a contempt for the simple idea of not harming your own allies.

If North Korea is willing to do that, then how confident can any nation be that they won't violate some other standard of behavior? Can China be confident that N. Korea won't strike out at them if it happens to benefit N. Korea in some small way?

Additionally, the US has stopped responding to North Korean provocations. That tends to suggest the US has decided that words and signals of disapproval are now meaningless.

Pretty sure that the US and China have come to some kind of agreement.

I understand that China now has something like 150,000 troops mobilized on the border with N. Korea, so maybe China will be the one leading the invasion.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 14:18   Link #96
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

A Chinese ground invasion backed up by US Naval forces would be an impressive feat really. Even if the only thing the Americans do is distract the North Koreans into looking South and East rather than North and West.
Old 2017-04-12, 15:00   Link #97
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

So if invading North Korea may be a possibility in perhaps the near future, do we have to worry about something batshit stupid from Trump like him ordering a nuclear strike on Pyongyang? Or...white house officials probably wouldn't allow that because of fallout going to China, South Korea, and Japan?
Old 2017-04-12, 16:15   Link #98
Key Board
Carbon

I don't think Trump needs to do that
nukes have VERY bad PR
However, I think a desperate retaliation nuclear strike from PyongYang would be more likely

the best of worst scenarios is for the north Korean inner circle to seize control over their equivalent of nuke launch authorization
and use it as a leverage for surrender terms
because I don't think Kim is going to surrender

But I'm not sure how much opposing faction is left. Kim did start a inner circle purge after all.
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-12, 16:23   Link #99
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Yes you should cancel the trip. People here are stockpiling hard on canned food and the government will launch a lottery next week for places in the public bunkers.
Old 2017-04-12, 18:18   Link #100
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
Yes you should cancel the trip. People here are stockpiling hard on canned food and the government will launch a lottery next week for places in the public bunkers.

Are you from Japan?

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2017-04-12 at 18:36.
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote