AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2023-12-24, 05:03   Link #261
Marina2

In case anyone want to know more about what Jinshi gave to Maomao

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2023-12-24, 06:19   Link #262
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Man, the old hag must be really raking it in.
The Verdigris Palace is an expensive operation with a lot of hidden running costs. The "annex" alone costs a lot of money and if Granny was as ruthless and penny-pinching as she appears to be on the surface it would not exist. The occupants would be dumped on the street to die in squalor.
Old 2023-12-24, 08:16   Link #263
Tenzen12

Yeah, these dresses alone would cost riches, not to mention music instrument. That said considering we are talking about imperial chine-ish settings, most money would probably go on bribes.
Old 2023-12-25, 05:00   Link #264
Huh...?

2nd Cour Trailer
New OP & ED
YouTube

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")
Huh...? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-25, 13:49   Link #265
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huh...? View Post
2nd Cour Trailer
New OP & ED
YouTube
Maomao dressed up! Blushing Jinshi! New cases and palace intrigue! Explosions! New pivotal characters like a concubine, a shady monocle guy, and Kaori Nazuka! New OP and ED's with totally different vibes than the first !
Old 2023-12-26, 20:28   Link #266
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I don't think either song in this preview holds a candle to the OP for season one. Just a reminder:

YouTube

The new songs seem much more generic.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-27, 00:28   Link #267
Frontier

It definitely has a different vibe. But I'll wait to see it with visuals .

Hope we still get dancing sultry Maomao .
Old 2023-12-27, 15:16   Link #268
Ghosty 404

Did I see some characters playing GO !!!
Ghosty 404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-27, 16:36   Link #269
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Yes, you did. The dream match would be Maomao and Jinshi. Don't know if we'll get that.

In the meantime

YouTube
Old 2023-12-28, 13:25   Link #270
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I just checked three different fansubs for this show, and none of them included subtitles for the OP. What's with that? There are even English translations for Hana ni Natte, yet no fansubber could be bothered to add one to a release?

Oyaji voice: Back in my day here on AS, you'd get your butt kicked if you released a fansub without song translations. Usually you'd expect nice karaoke effects as well.

YouTube

Later on, you needed to download the occasional sub because Crunchyroll was so unreliable in this area. (Dealing with music licensors is hard everywhere. See, for instance, https://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?p=2696876.)

Apparently contemporary fansubbers don't care about song translations, or did I just go 0-3 by chance?

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2023-12-28 at 13:44.
Old 2023-12-28, 13:28   Link #271
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I just checked three different fansubs for this show, and none of them included subtitles for the OP. What's with that? There are even English translations for Hana ni Natte, yet no fansubber could be bothered to add one to a release?
I don't know how the licensing works for OP/ED and you never know when they're going to actually sub anything.

Crunchyroll at least has the ED subbed (though for some reason the last episode didn't have the subs in it).
Old 2023-12-28, 13:51   Link #272
alex_drian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
And they're not having sex with a client unless they want to (e.g. Pairin likes men with good muscles). Typical for high-ranking courtesans in both China and Japan.
Imagine spent a year of salary for a night hanging out with a courtesan and you can't even fuck her. Probably the difference in culture because I just can't make the reason out of flexing that you have money to spare.

Remembers me that stupid anime/manga about rental girlfriends that you can't even touch. Why even?

Quote:
I personally hate subs in my OP, thanks. I want to appreciate the visuals and enjoy the music not reading it. Also the letters unfolding it while I trying to appreciate the visuals and music kinda bothers my sigh. Same with performances in music/idol anime and such.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-28, 13:54   Link #273
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_drian View Post
Imagine spent a year of salary for a night hanging out with a courtesan and you can't even fuck her. Probably the difference in culture because I just can't make the reason out of flexing that you have money to spare.
Sex is not the only form of entertaiment. Also, Joka, for example, is so knowledgeble that guys just line up to talk with her as it is a great way to prepare for offiials exam (and is actually comparable in price to hiring the same level tutor, while you get other things as a bonus).
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-28, 16:44   Link #274
alex_drian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
Sex is not the only form of entertaiment. Also, Joka, for example, is so knowledgeble that guys just line up to talk with her as it is a great way to prepare for offiials exam (and is actually comparable in price to hiring the same level tutor, while you get other things as a bonus).
That's all and good, but I definitely wouldn't go to brothel for it. Probably better the actual tutor as having a beautiful woman teach me would actually be distracting. Anyway I think I gave a rant similar about that anime of the rental girlfriends, but I just associate courtesans = prostitutes so I just can't wrap my head around the concept.
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-28, 17:09   Link #275
ryllharu

Quote:
That's all and good, but I definitely wouldn't go to brothel for it. Probably better the actual tutor as having a beautiful woman teach me would actually be distracting. Anyway I think I gave a rant similar about that anime of the rental girlfriends, but I just associate courtesans = prostitutes so I just can't wrap my head around the concept.
You see another one playing Go with one of the officials. They patrons are paying for the privilege of talking to and hanging out with women who primarily specialize in socializing, entertaining, and engaging with them. Ones who are very, very good at it because the old bag runs the best operation in the district. Socialize with them often enough and gain their favor, and maybe the patron can elect to buy one of the girls' contracts out and take them as a wife, which was detailed out in the sections where MaoMao first went home.

They're entertainers. Maiko and Geiko do the same thing today with patrons, they play silly little games with them in between dances and performances. Same thing with Host/Hostess clubs. The difference is courtesans and oirans also opted to, or were required to, have sex with clients depending on their rank, while Maiko/Geiko are never officially required to.

Linfamy on Youtube has a lot of videos on the history of how Japanese courtesans operated and how their profession evolved in Japan.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-28, 17:38   Link #276
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Because you should not make this comparison. Compare them to geishas or modern hostesses. Geishas were entertainers and are not entitled for sex work, while oiran could be.

Last edited by Nachtwandler; 2023-12-28 at 19:32.
Old 2023-12-28, 18:05   Link #277
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
I personally hate subs in my OP, thanks. I want to appreciate the visuals and enjoy the music not reading it.
I hardly ever see hard subs these days. With soft subs you can just turn them off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
Because you shjould not make this comparison. Compare them to geishas or modern hostesses. Geishas were entertainers and are not entitled for sex work, while oiran could be.
The modern-day version is presumably someone like Akari in 3-gatsu no Lion. Her virtue seems pretty clearly intact.

Old 2023-12-28, 18:50   Link #278
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
That's because 99% of "fansubs" nowadays just take the CR script, slap it into their encode, and just call it a day. Sometimes they'll take the effort to add honorifics or change names to be more accurate to the source material but that's about it. There is no translating getting done.

Regarding CR, I'm even more annoyed they don't translate insert songs.
Old 2023-12-28, 19:36   Link #279
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
I hardly ever see hard subs these days. With soft subs you can just turn them off.

The modern-day version is presumably someone like Akari in 3-gatsu no Lion. Her virtue seems pretty clearly intact.

Akari is a hostess in fact (damn, don't remind me we won't get S3, I am still hesitant to read the manga). But Three Princesses are closer to geishas considering their "skill-kit". They not just entertain customers with a talk and pour alcohol, that's the job for girls who are still in training but have not fail it bad enouh to do sex work instead in Verdigris House. In fact. MaoMao was doing a similar job to Akari on a party.
Old 2023-12-28, 20:23   Link #280
Frontier

Quote:
I personally hate subs in my OP, thanks. I want to appreciate the visuals and enjoy the music not reading it. Also the letters unfolding it while I trying to appreciate the visuals and music kinda bothers my sigh. Same with performances in music/idol anime and such.
Knowing the lyrics and how they connect to the actual show actually makes me enjoy the OP more, personally .

Tags
adaption, smart female protagonist