Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-08-23, 16:47   Link #521
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Just going by the first couple of chapters i'd say then. Like i said, this is just my personal opinion, and i could be completely off, though i do sense that she cares for him, and not just treating him like any other guy. Don't any of you at least think that much?
Not really. He was just her first pawn so there is some sort of affection to her first lap-dog but I cannot see anything beyond.

Oneshot had plenty of that, like Medaka admitting she needs Zen etc (in series she never does it) but one shot is not series. This answers yongshun's quesion about romance - it was expected because oneshot had some pretty obvious romance indications. Heck most of sites listed Medaka Box under romance category as well (tough now quite a few corrected themselves and removed the romance tag as it as no real romance).

And "student council being the breeding ground for romance" was only in oneshot. Series do not seem to have romance. Just ecchi fanservice.

Quote:
So i get a bad rep because i stated my own opinion? How that works i have no idea.
Happens to me all the time, thats why I just turned off the whole rep thing.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 17:02   Link #522
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Not really. He was just her first pawn so there is some sort of affection to her first lap-dog but I cannot see anything beyond.
Ah well, i can see where you're coming from. I'll just stick with my opinion anyway.
Old 2009-08-23, 19:08   Link #523
ultramojones
Pfjaklsq of Greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post

Oneshot had plenty of that, like Medaka admitting she needs Zen etc (in series she never does it) but one shot is not series. This answers yongshun's quesion about romance - it was expected because oneshot had some pretty obvious romance indications. Heck most of sites listed Medaka Box under romance category as well (tough now quite a few corrected themselves and removed the romance tag as it as no real romance).

And "student council being the breeding ground for romance" was only in oneshot. Series do not seem to have romance. Just ecchi fanservice.

Happens to me all the time, thats why I just turned off the whole rep thing.
actually, the fanservice is starting to disappear too, time to remove another tag

this feels just like an ordinary high school manga now, with a certain person/group trying to be the best at something. not saying there's anything wrong with that, its fine and can be interesting, but people just feel misled from the oneshot with the possible romance with haruhi-like feel, giving this manga a bad reputation.
ultramojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-23, 22:02   Link #524
Iron21

One-shots normally don't have anything to do with the original series. People need to realize this, I had to found the hard way from other mangas.

I too wanted a little romance and things like that, and I'm sure we probably get some sooner or later.

People forget it's only the 15th chapter and it probably not going anywhere since TLR is ending soon.
Iron21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 04:12   Link #525
Dark Mage

Is it true that Medaka Box is on the verge of being cancelled? What was its position in the current rankings? I hope it does get cancelled because atm, its just pointless fan-service and the numerious god-like abilities of Medaka shoved down our throats each week.

The one-shot was so good and the first 2-3 chapters were just as good but then it just started going downhill. I especially loved the romance and fighting part in the one-shot. But in the weekly series there's none of these. Zenkichi means the same to Medaka as anyone else

Last edited by Dark Mage; 2009-08-24 at 06:28.
Dark Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 06:17   Link #526
Mentar
Banned

Actually, I thought that the manga was slowly picking up again. Obviously, they're collecting characters for the student council, and I believe we more or less found the last entry. Letsee where it goes from here
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 07:36   Link #527
Mizuno
Undefined

Send a message via MSN to Mizuno
If the final member turns out to be that bratty looking genius, then that's it for me.
Mizuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 11:07   Link #528
AdventSleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
Is it true that Medaka Box is on the verge of being cancelled? What was its position in the current rankings? I hope it does get cancelled because atm, its just pointless fan-service and the numerious god-like abilities of Medaka shoved down our throats each week.

Well recently Medaka has consistently been in the bottom 5 of the rankings... so..it's likely that it will be cancelled.
AdventSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 13:34   Link #529
ZODDGUTS

This weeks rank is Medaka's worst position ever...
Quote:
Bottom 5
Hetappi Manga
Kagijin
Psyren
Akaboshi
Medaka

http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showp...&postcount=285
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 14:00   Link #530
Johnny
Working the bags...

Even below Akaboshi, that's not very good at all...
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-24, 14:35   Link #531
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Even below Akaboshi, that's not very good at all...
Ohh you got that right, Akaboshi is terrible and to be below that doesn't look at all.

Well for all its worth if this was to end soon I just hope we get to see the last SC member and like Mizuno says hope its not the kid.
Old 2009-08-25, 03:13   Link #532
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post

Wow, its at rock bottom!? I didn't expect it to do that bad... This would be a waste of ALOT of good materials Mx0 experience all over again. Hopefully he will do a remake and follow the one-shot this time.

oh other news: to-love-ru is ending, i wonder what will take its spot. I look forward to another harem/comedy manga
shaolinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-25, 07:44   Link #533
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Though I like to whine how bad Medaka is doing, to tell the truth, I never expected it to beat Akaboshi. It seemed like the last place was always reserved for Akaboshi but seems like Medaka can do even worse, pretty incredible. I don't think it has much time left if it will not rise from the rock bottom soon.
Old 2009-08-25, 12:02   Link #534
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Hey, everyone! New to these forums (though some of you know me from mangafox or onemanga).

Honestly, I figured Medaka would still be in the bottom five as the rankings I believe are for the start of the horrible Swim Team arc, but to be dead last was a surprise. :\

If things don't change, it probably won't get much further. The latest chapter looks like it's starting to introduce some plot, but the choice of antagonist was badly done, as I don't think the readers want to see a 10 year old superhuman to match Medaka. Personally, I think it would have been better to have her rival be a normal, pretty girl who despite not being a "genius" is just as kind (without the bad personality) and actually see the potential Zenkichi has and tries to steal him away. That would be a lot better than the current baddie, as in the end, the superhumans are going to completely overshadow the rest of the cast, including the main character.

Of course, considering the manga has been 95% focused on Medaka and her powers, Zen's already been overshadowed quite a bit and it's made the manga quite boring as we see everything solved my Medaka's powers and her lovey-dovey diatribe every week. I think it would be much nicer if they focused on her flaws (her arrogant presence or the fact that while she wants to help everyone, she doesn't actually give a thought to the people's feelings while doing it-- ie stealing everyone's first kiss). Sadly, all these flaws are all glossed over in favor of everything Medaka does being right.

There's so much material there to work with to improve the manga, but it's making wrong decisions left and right and focusing on completely the wrong things.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-25, 16:32   Link #535
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Well, to be fair, it sorta is following Nisio's formula that he has for the novels he does (at least of Bakemonogatari, what little I know of it)- The main character's relationship with the other characters, and the fact that the characters all seem to be Overpowered in some way. The problem of course, is that Medaka is technically the main character, not Zenkichi...

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-25, 17:28   Link #536
gonzo562

if this keeps up medaka gonna be canceled

i kinda like this manga
gonzo562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-25, 18:05   Link #537
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Medaka getting canceled is almost a given by now...

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-25, 18:13   Link #538
AnymX

A... no. Not jet. If someone is getting canceled, it will be Akaboshi. In fact there are already rumors going around, that it will be canceled on Weekly Shounen Jump issue 43. To bad thoth, I actually kinda liked Akaboshi.
Old 2009-08-25, 18:39   Link #539
Dark Mage

@KLGChaos, nice to see you here.
I like Akaboshi more than Medaka.
Old 2009-08-25, 18:44   Link #540
Darknemo2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Medaka getting canceled is almost a given by now...
Not really. Though I used to cry that Medaka gets canceled soon enough, ToLOve Ru sudden ending changes things and gives one more chance to Medaka.

As we know ToLove was fanservice series, after it is gone there are only two series that could try to get the 'lost audience' - AneDoki and Medaka. The problem is that in latest chapters the fanservice is almost as rare as romance.

If author is not an idiot he should try to take the chance. But given that the main villain is a male 10 year old brat, the current arc probably won't do all that well even if fanservice will be increased. Not to mention that AneDoki has better artwork, more attractive girls and the main heroine is not as annoying as Medaka.

Right now what pushed medaka so low was ch 10 I think (or is it ch 11?), so its still some time before we get to see the effects of the current arc but the end of ToLove Ru and Akaboshi serving as a possible cushion (though it is sill not 100% sure that Medaka won't go out together with it), despite hitting the rock bottom just now, increased Medaka's chances of survival.

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council