AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-06-19, 22:33   Link #1
frad113

Send a message via AIM to frad113
staggering H264

I am just wondering, some H264 encodes play fine, while others don't. For example, [SS-Eclipse] Hayate no Gotoku stutters constantly, still video with audio still playing, audio lags, etc., while something like [Ayako] Nagasarete Airantou plays just fine with none of the above problems. I have a Pentium D dual core @ 2.8 GHz and 1 Gb of RAM, using CCCP. With little or no background tasks running, I might add.
Old 2007-06-19, 22:59   Link #2
Shounen
Away for good

That my friend, depends on what profile and what Level they've used. For example, AVC Level 2.1 can even be played on a PSP, while 2.2 and above cannot.
Then it could also depend on, if there using VRF (Variable Frame Rate) or oldschool CFR (Constant Frame Rate). H264/AVC is meant to use VRF. But we still defile that.. I wonder why...

Sure writing the avs might not be as easy as with cfr. It could also depend on what player your using.

It's hard to figure out what there using, as I hardly ever watch fansubs myself.
Old 2007-06-19, 23:16   Link #3
frad113

You figure I buy a new computer and my days of watching Xvid encodes are gone... So much for that idea. Logically, the question follows, is there anything that I can do (and no I'm not buying a new one )
Old 2007-06-19, 23:20   Link #4
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
You figure I buy a new computer and my days of watching Xvid encodes are gone... So much for that idea. Logically, the question follows, is there anything that I can do (and no I'm not buying a new one )
Supposing you're running Windows, getting CoreAVC, a proprietary h264 codec (which means you have to pay for it), is your best bet. I've tested it and it works wonders. I've been told it's because of its multithreading capabilities, though I'd rather have someone else more savvy on the matter clarify this, though.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-06-19, 23:22   Link #5
frad113

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
a proprietary h264 codec (which means you have to pay for it)
...such as?
Old 2007-06-19, 23:25   Link #6
ImClueless
Rawr

There must be something else wrong. A 2.8ghz chip should have no problems playin these files. What is the percent CPU usage when you play the Hayate no Gotoku file? Also, this really shoulda been in the playback forum. The playback help gurus are there.
Old 2007-06-19, 23:29   Link #7
frad113

CPU usage is from ~35%-55%, peaking at scenes with much motion. My new (relatively) computer is a dual core Pentium @ 2.8 GHz, 1 Gb RAM and a 128 Mb video card. Compare to my old one (733 MHz and 128 Mb RAM) playback is like there is now tomorrow, but still is shoddy, as described above. Should have been in the Playback forum - but isn't . I don't want to double post so I'll take my chances.

Last edited by frad113; 2007-06-21 at 21:09.
Old 2007-06-19, 23:32   Link #8
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
...such as?
Quote:
Supposing you're running Windows, getting CoreAVC, a proprietary h264 codec (which means you have to pay for it), is your best bet.
Eh... I think I explained it myself...

Old 2007-06-19, 23:36   Link #9
ImClueless
Rawr

Report this thread yourself to the mods and get it moved to playback help, I think you would really get better help there. 35%-55% usage should not result in lag. My old 2.0 ghz P4 would lag with the HD h264 encodes but an Athlon64 3500 had no trouble at all. I really don't think its the hardware.
Old 2007-06-19, 23:36   Link #10
frad113

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Eh... I think I explained it myself...
Oops, sorry; I read it as: a) running Windows, b) getting CoreAVC, c) a proprietary h264 codec. Too much wine tonight... And I also feel left out without a Lucky Star avatar.
Old 2007-06-20, 08:47   Link #11
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

You can't buy CoreAVC at the moment. In fact it hasn't been possible for several months.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2007-06-20, 09:16   Link #12
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
You can't buy CoreAVC at the moment. In fact it hasn't been possible for several months.
Oh! Well, then, sorry for recommending that. Seems I haven't checked it out in a long time.

Old 2007-06-20, 13:07   Link #13
Shounen
Away for good

Oh and frad113, what kind of PCI/AGP graphics card do you have?....
One that came with the Mobo or?....
Old 2007-06-20, 13:10   Link #14
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=49478
read post #2 see if that helps...
Old 2007-06-20, 14:08   Link #15
Nicholi
King of Hosers

As I recall the reason Hayate no Gotoku is especially slow is because its both H.264 (high profile of course) and its 30fps. Faster framerate means more work then usual for your cpu. As the other H.264 files you have are likely only 24fps, and also without softsubs.

CoreAVC is truly the only answer.
Old 2007-06-20, 17:29   Link #16
Milvus

As a side advice : don't forget to stop seeding while playing such files. Hayate no Gotoku playback is choppy on my computer (Athlon XP 2600) if I seed it while playing, but perfect if I stop it.
Old 2007-06-20, 21:05   Link #17
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Amusingly, ZGMF-X10A linked to one of my posts that I was about to copy and paste to you!

Nicholi mentioned the framerate, which is an important factor. Another important factor is the resolution of the video. It doesn't matter whether it's XviD or H.264, larger resolutions will stress your processor more. Since nobody has mentioned it for your problem, I'll presume that it's a normal resolution, but do keep it in mind.

Now the copy paste:

What you'll want to do is boost the process priority to your media player. Under Windows 2000 and XP, you can manually set the process priority. Under Windows 98, you don't have this option. The process is such: with your video player loaded, open the Task Manager (ctrl+alt+del) and go to the Applications tab. Find your video player, right click it, and select "go to process" - this will now take you to the Processes tab, with a process highlighted. This process is your video player. Right click it, and mouse over the "Set Priority" menu - you will see a number of options, with a bullet near "Normal" selected, unless your media player set its own priority differently. Go ahead and set the priority to "Above normal." In my experience, setting it to "High" has very little effect.

The danger of setting it higher isn't in causing damage, but that it makes your computer unusable. For example, I once set it to Realtime, thinking that it'd make my video playback flawless. Not only did the video become barely playable, but my mouse began to move slowly and the entire computer was very unresponsive to my commands.

Note that setting the priority is temporary. If you close your media player and then reopen it, Windows will have set the process back to "Normal" priority. If you need to do this often, memorizing the process name may speed things up a bit. Note also that in the processes window, if you highlight a process and then hit a letter, a process starting with that letter will be selected. Keep pressing that letter and it will cycle through processes with that letter. Alternatively, you can have it sort by alphabetical order (these are all methods to make finding the process easier).

If you dislike setting the priority, as I mentioned before, some media players such as BSPlayer and Zoomplayer allow you to set the player's priority from within the program itself. Once you set the priority and save the settings, the program will handle the priority on its own whenever you load it. As far as I know, if you are using Windows 98 or a version of Windows that does not allow you to set priorities via the task manager, then using a program like that is the only way to alter the process priority.

Note that this is not a cure-all. Your processor should be capable of playing it just fine, though, so this may help to smooth things out.
Old 2007-06-20, 23:19   Link #18
frad113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shounen View Post
Oh and frad113, what kind of PCI/AGP graphics card do you have?....
One that came with the Mobo or?....
128 MB Radeon bla bla.
Old 2007-06-21, 07:14   Link #19
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by frad113 View Post
128 MB Radeon bla bla.
That's not an answer... what's the model/series?
Old 2007-06-21, 21:10   Link #20
frad113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
That's not an answer... what's the model/series?
That is an answer, albeit not a very specific one. The specifics shouldn't matter that much, but from what Windows tells me, it's a Radeon X300/X550.

EDIT: I obtained CoreAVC and the desired effect was achieved; for example, Hayate no Gotoku OP is now without a single stagger. Hopefully this behaviour will continue. Thank you all.

Last edited by frad113; 2007-06-22 at 23:22.