AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support > Playback Help

Notices

Old 2007-09-30, 19:11   Link #1
frad113

Send a message via AIM to frad113
AAC Audio Encodes

I am having porblems with some .mkv's where the audio is encoded in AAC (such as Kanjisub's Hachikuro Movie or Static Subs' Mai Otome); the BGM portion of the audio is loud, whereas the voices are hardly audible. What is the cause? As always, thanks in advance.
Old 2007-09-30, 19:41   Link #2
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Is the AAC track in 5.1? If it is and you're running a 2 speaker stereo setup/headphones you will have this problem. Basically if it is a 5.1 AAC track there's supposed to be played through a 6 speaker setup: center (which is mainly for the vocal), surround the other 4 (Front L+R, Rear L+R) speakers like ambient sounds BGM, echoes etc etc and a subwoofer (This is the .1 of the 5.1) for the low end noises like the rumble. Basically what is happening is if you're trying to force it into two speakers the vocals get lost in the mix. There is no discrete channels just Left and Right. There are ways around this though depending on what Media Player you use and if you use a soundcard.

If you are using 5.1 speakers adjust the volume of the Centre speaker.

I assume you are using CCCP on Windows XP? go to the the settings of CCCP and you should see a menu FFDSHOW AUDIO SETTINGS and a whole list of options in the dropdown menu, play around with the options (I don't know what you have so trial and error is the best way). Some of the options should help you with this problem.
Old 2007-10-01, 00:22   Link #3
frad113

Aah, I see what the "problem" is. The ffdshow audio decoder's swap channels filter lets me remap channels, but it only lets me map the center channel to either right or left (or whatever), not both. Is there something like "downsample to 2.1"?
Old 2007-10-01, 01:21   Link #4
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

I think you should select the "Mixer" setting instead and specify you have a 2.0 setup. Afaik ffdshow should then automatically downmix whatever source audio to your stereo setup.
Old 2007-10-01, 11:26   Link #5
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Indeed the key here would be in the Mixing settings. Not in swapping channels. If you are already using the CCCP it should by default be set to "2/0 stereo mixing". However if you turn on the custom graph mixing you can take more control here. Such as boost how the Center channel is mixed into the L/R channels, and of course decrease others (I find that even with my 6ch speaker setup my Center speaker is far too weaksauce to handle all vocals on 5.1 content, so I typically mix 0.5 of Center into the L/R channels so I can hear it all better, this is unrelated to your problem though). Also don't forget the Volume filter either.
Old 2007-10-01, 19:43   Link #6
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Huh where's the channel mapping? This is what I get with my settings
Old 2007-10-01, 21:45   Link #7
frad113

@GHDpro and Nicholi: problem solved, what kind of cookies would you like?

@hobbes_fan: go to Start -> Programs -> CCCP -> ffdshow audio decoder.
Old 2007-10-02, 02:14   Link #8
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
Huh where's the channel mapping? This is what I get with my settings
The bit which says "FFDShow Audio Settings". In there you just choose from the drop down box your own speaker configuration.
Old 2007-10-02, 03:31   Link #9
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

That's not what I meant, this is what I was after

as well as the eq options in the ffdshow audio decoder options as I run my PC into a DD setup and was after a little bit better spatial representation.
Old 2007-10-02, 07:36   Link #10
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Right here.

You'll see I "remapped" the Left channel to the right speaker and the Right channel to the left. Recommended that you don't use any internal filters in MPC that you don't need to, and you don't need to use this feature in MPC. FFDShow's is obviously superior to MPC's in that you can choose how much of the channel is being sent to each output, rather then just being able to remap them.
Old 2007-10-02, 08:14   Link #11
Thingle
Banned

Reinstall CCCP. I had that problem too when I first used my notebook to watch mkv files.