AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-05-20, 11:15   Link #741
leofish
Mia 'cova

very fitting ending...

does anyone know when the DVD releases are scheduled for? is there still going to be a special 13th ep on DVD? havent heard anything about it in awhile :3
leofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-20, 14:47   Link #742
Lost

To those who have waited, respite! in Episode 10 by, yes, Eclipse-gg.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-20, 18:06   Link #743
Dop
Mmmm....

Eclipse-gg Episode 10?

Hurrah!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 03:35   Link #744
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I remember this show. This is that show that keeps disappointing me by continuously falling short of its potential.

Ep 10.

I really appreciate the way this show manages to push its various themes both subtlety and forcefully when needed, but also on the many different levels it does so. And while the ideas of tradition and nostalgia versus an updated, yet impersonal modernness aren't new, this show utilizes them well, and I'm really willing to say the way it focuses on this and other themes is a real strength. If only the story-telling was as good.

I still can't swallow a lot of aspects in this plot, particularly the way the gang comes up against these impossible adversities and is always bailed out by the spontaneous kindness of the rest of the school. The student-body seems to go from this distant, uncaring group of individuals to a close, co-operative family-like body of strong school-spirited students almost with the flick of a switch. And I don't buy it. I think part of it is that the way this series portrays the school body is too strong and extreme: in one instance they're shown to be the former and in a matter of minutes they go to the latter. Maybe if we had a chance to examine the gradient between the change in attitudes closer or maybe if the change in attitude was motivated by more than just "working together for a common goal is fun lol" (and I don't disagree with that, but that's not something people just learn with the flick of a switch), it'd be easier to swallow and, arguably, more meaningful... particularly if they highlighted some individual examples of students learning this lesson (although that would only work with proper characterization and this series hasn't done well with that to date).

Still a cute, but very flawed show, IMO. It's just not grounded enough, IMO.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 16:12   Link #745
Anacone
Lazy Poster

Send a message via MSN to Anacone
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I have no problem with it, but the thing is, KyoAni makes something very original and well-animated, which caused quite a shock in the community (while providing lots of new marketing opportunities ) and the next thing you get is something almost entirely identical from another animation studio. Unless they were parodying/paying homage to it, I don't see much point into ripping it off.
Well animated sure... original? sure if you speak about anime... if you speak about generally media... it's done there in many movies of course... maybe it's ripped of from there...So what's point to rip it from there?

But what were you waiting for school festival episode generally, don't say that you weren't expecting this to come sooner or later in some anime and here they had spoken about festivals, hmm at least six eps before this... At least they were handling other themes than just singing...

Edit:

And one more thing... Haruhis singing was first presented in novels, KyonAni just animated it so give praise about idea to whom it belongs....

Last edited by Anacone; 2007-05-21 at 16:37.
Anacone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 22:21   Link #746
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
OK, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned KyoAni, but the point remains more or less the same...

And yes, since we're talking about anime, I mean it for anime-not for movies. Anime and the movie industry are things completely different from one another, the way I see it. Even more if you're talking about an episodic animated series and a full-length live action movie.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 02:47   Link #747
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by leofish View Post
very fitting ending...

does anyone know when the DVD releases are scheduled for? is there still going to be a special 13th ep on DVD? havent heard anything about it in awhile :3
Huh? but that's only the 11th episode. Still I've overly enjoyed this series more than any other this year. So it fits right into my top 5 anime of all time ^_^.

ps:I was also sadden to only see a few subbers attempting to sub this anime.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 23:13   Link #748
frad113

Send a message via AIM to frad113
Anybody notice that Mei's and Momo's legs got mixed up in the ED?

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
frad113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 23:22   Link #749
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
How in the world did you ever noticed that? XD
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 03:03   Link #750
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Finally saw ep 10 .... we seem to be wallowing in nostalgia (not in a bad way)

Interesting to see how those teaser scenes (boom) are being incorporated.
Momo is such a riot....
Old 2007-05-23, 03:14   Link #751
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa View Post
How in the world did you ever noticed that? XD
I agree. I don't pay attention that close to it ^_^. I don't really watch the ending too, only just once to test if it's nice or not to listen to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Finally saw ep 10 .... we seem to be wallowing in nostalgia (not in a bad way)
Yeah, I feel the same way. This anime like, Futakoi Alternative brings the feelings of nostalgia. If an anime can induce a feeling like this, then for me I can consider it a well done anime. If it can sadden me without stupid angsty scenes then it's all good too.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2007-05-23, 07:46   Link #752
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I don't mind a bit of angst, as long as they don't pump you with an overdose of it. The problem is that genuine drama is just so rare in anime that most of it is just angst and melodrama. Oh well.

Ep 11

Fair ep. No real complaints about this ep (that I haven't aired already anyway). I think this show has pretty much lost me at this stage, since there was so much flawed execution and misplaced emphasis in the episodes leading up to this. I just couldn't connect with any of it, even if it was one of the better eps in the series. I blame poor characterization.

Oh well, this show still gets points for ambition, but that's almost a moot point at this stage. I think the thing I'm most impressed with is how its themes appear on some many different levels. But themes need to go along with a good story to make any impact and a good story needs strong characters.

I'm not sure if I want to say the "no director" experiment is a failure since well, for one, this show isn't a failure in my eyes... it just fell short on a few key aspects. But, we only saw the final product, and the impact of a director is probably greater felt behind the scenes (I'd imagine). And it's hard to draw any conclusions about an experiment like this from this one project. It'd be interesting to see if we ever see another "no director" project again and what that spawns. Then again, I am sort of under the impression that a good project needs a leader of some sort.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 09:51   Link #753
Mephisto2k
anime4life

I dont know if its just me but i think the last few episodes lacked in comedy. in the beginning of this series each episode was just plain funny and manabi style but in the end they focused on more serious themes and forgot about the comedy.
Mephisto2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 14:37   Link #754
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

I'm about to start watching 10 and 11, but I need to ask something first that I know I'll forget if I wait...

You know the pictures they show when they're announcing the sponsors (kono banguniwa KING RECORDS etcetc)? They're so cute... I was wondering where they're from (manga? artbook if there is one?) and if anyone knows where I can get clean versions of them at.

Sankyuu

Just watched 10... once again I'm torn on my favorite character. It'd be Momo, hands down (especially since she was a riot in this episode), if only she had appeared more often earlier in the series... but I suppose I wouldn't appreciate Momo-appearances if she hung around all the time. Mei and Mikan have good moments, too. Loved when Momo wanted to give high-fives to Mei and Mei just sort of ignores her... As for Mikan, I love how gullible and sensitive she is. Anytime she starts crying is a good moment for her (*swt!*).

Last edited by Risaa; 2007-05-23 at 15:30.
Old 2007-05-23, 20:34   Link #755
aorta

Quote:
You know the pictures they show when they're announcing the sponsors (kono banguniwa KING RECORDS etcetc)? They're so cute... I was wondering where they're from (manga? artbook if there is one?) and if anyone knows where I can get clean versions of them at.
Someone posted some clean versions here
aorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 21:03   Link #756
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Thank you.

...somehow, I get linked to mt forums at least once every few months...

Edit: Aah, I only found three different ones. Are there more Manabi threads there that I'm not seeing? I hate browsing their forums. @_@;
Old 2007-05-23, 21:56   Link #757
aorta

Quote:
Edit: Aah, I only found three different ones. Are there more Manabi threads there that I'm not seeing? I hate browsing their forums. @_@;
I stumbled across that thread the other day, not sure if there are any more.
aorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-24, 00:52   Link #758
frad113

Send a message via AIM to frad113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risaa
How in the world did you ever noticed that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
I agree. I don't pay attention that close to it ^_^. I don't really watch the ending too, only just once to test if it's nice or not to listen to.
...I like legs maybe?...
frad113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-24, 02:11   Link #759
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

frad113 - nah.

Wow, I haven't visited megatokyo in such a long time, almost forgot it existed ^_^.

Old 2007-05-24, 04:06   Link #760
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It really doesn't exist.... mostly a jaded hive of villany and scum (there's a few worthy characters there though). The comic has treated me pretty well (as well as Fred himself whom I think pretty well of) and the store sells some cool gear though...

Tags
comedy, drama, school life, seinen, ufotable