AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2013-06-15, 00:01   Link #1
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Send a message via AIM to Hayamaneko
Random restarts/cannot install dumpchk to check dmp file

My computer lately has a habit of restarting suddenly. I would of tried checking the .dmp file but I cannot install the debuggng tools that allow me to use dumpchk. What can I do
Old 2013-06-15, 01:41   Link #2
Tiberium Wolf

Try installing "whocrashed". Needs framework 4.0 thou.

There another one called bluescreenview.
Old 2013-06-15, 02:12   Link #3
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Try installing "whocrashed". Needs framework 4.0 thou.

There another one called bluescreenview.
thanks. Using whocrashed, this is what came up

Quote:
On Sat 6/15/2013 3:54:48 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\061413-24218-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x4A359C)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8003A598F8, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
description: NT Kernel & System

Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.
A while ago I had a similar problem where my computer would randomly restart. I don't remember how I came to this conclusion but I ended up applying thermal paste to the CPU and that did the trick. Could that possibly be the solution this time? And if so how can I make it last more then a few years?
Old 2013-06-15, 08:50   Link #4
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayamaneko View Post
A while ago I had a similar problem where my computer would randomly restart. I don't remember how I came to this conclusion but I ended up applying thermal paste to the CPU and that did the trick. Could that possibly be the solution this time? And if so how can I make it last more then a few years?
Since the information is pointing to a thermal issue then applying thermal paste to the CPU again should sort things out, but it is likely that you'll never get rid of the problem permanently since thermal paste doesn't last forever.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 09:52   Link #5
Tiberium Wolf

BTW, do you only have 1 dump file? Having just 1 doesn't mean problem. It might have been a random occurrence. If you get several with the same error code then u have a problem.
Beware that although it presents that answer it doesn't mean it's correct.
See: "The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time." -> this line points to software but the previous points to hardware.

When it comes to crashing from ntoskrnl.exe it's a freaking pain in ass. My last time it was software and I only ruled by software by installing windows again. I couldn't find whatever was making those BSOD.
Old 2013-06-15, 10:56   Link #6
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
Since the information is pointing to a thermal issue then applying thermal paste to the CPU again should sort things out, but it is likely that you'll never get rid of the problem permanently since thermal paste doesn't last forever.
Then what would make for a more permenant solution? Buying PSU with higher wattage? Changing the case?

Also I've checked the last 4 dump files from within the past month and all of them have the same error message from the same kernel
Old 2013-06-16, 08:18   Link #7
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
See: "The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time." -> this line points to software but the previous points to hardware.
That line is only saying that the problem might be software related, but isn't certain as no other file has been identified as the cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayamaneko View Post
Then what would make for a more permenant solution? Buying PSU with higher wattage? Changing the case?
If there aren't any airflow problems (and since this doesn't happen all the time) then changing the case won't help, and buying a more powerful PSU will most likely not help either.

As it is the CPU and depending on what thermal paste you used before you could use another thermal paste to see if it does any better, but you could replace the heatsink just to be safe since most would include pre-applied thermal paste (I have heard good things about the Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro, and the current revision should work on most processors) along with upgrading any cooling fans attached to the case just to shift as much heat away from the computer as possible.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-16, 16:27   Link #8
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
But if this is a "apply thermal paste problem" shouldn't the temps also indicate this?
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 22:18   Link #9
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Still happening, same damn error. Applied new thermal paste and cleaned the heat sink of dusk but I got the same error. What do I do now?
Old 2013-06-26, 10:18   Link #10
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

An update: I think the PSU might be dead. Tried opening up the case and checking all the cables to make sure everything was properly plugged in but afterwards the PC would not power on. Tried doing the jump start trick (paper clip end in the green and black holes of the main molex) and it didn't turn on. Is this a definite sign that its dead? I find it odd considering its not that old (bought in 2011) and is a Cosair-brand PSU, and I hear those are supposed to be high quality

edit: Doing some more test I beleive the motherboard might be whats actually dead. The first time I tried connecting the PSU to the graphics card and trying the jumpstart trick it didn't power on the card. I tried the same trick again but this time I used a cd rom drive I had lying around and it was able to power on. I also tried plugging in another PSU i had and that didn't power on the computer at all. Is their some way to make sure the motherboard is dead without having to spend money on a new one only to find out that thats not the problem?

Last edited by Hayamaneko; 2013-06-26 at 14:45.
Hayamaneko is offline   Reply With Quote