AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-10-31, 18:23   Link #81
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kobe, Japan
And I could find dozens of sources telling you that various types of running are excellent training for pitchers - Google makes it easy. Pro pitchers run, and while high-schoolers don't necessarily need to follow the same training habits adults do (and certainly not in terms of the amount of actual throwing) that should be a pretty good tipoff.

"Pitch more to increase their endurance" is a pretty controversial notion given how many teenaged pitchers end up needing Tommy John surgery or have long-term shoulder issues. The current mindset, though not all agree with it, is to limit innings and throwing on the side for guys even into their 20s.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2013-11-01 at 08:23.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-01, 08:22   Link #82
totoum
Me at work
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
So everything points towards what he's doing to be useless or near useless.
I have no idea if it's usefull or not but my issue with your original statement:

Quote:
Anime logic: running = makes you better at throwing
Is that making pitchers run has been a practice for a long time in real life (especially in Japan), so in no way is this "anime logic"

But if ever there was a sport where people might be doing something useless just because it's tradition to do so,it's baseball
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-01, 19:47   Link #83
Byakou
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
And I could find dozens of sources telling you that various types of running are excellent training for pitchers - Google makes it easy. Pro pitchers run, and while high-schoolers don't necessarily need to follow the same training habits adults do (and certainly not in terms of the amount of actual throwing) that should be a pretty good tipoff.

"Pitch more to increase their endurance" is a pretty controversial notion given how many teenaged pitchers end up needing Tommy John surgery or have long-term shoulder issues. The current mindset, though not all agree with it, is to limit innings and throwing on the side for guys even into their 20s.
Every article I've read says that jogging is useless so I'm not liable to believe you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Is that making pitchers run has been a practice for a long time in real life (especially in Japan), so in no way is this "anime logic"

But if ever there was a sport where people might be doing something useless just because it's tradition to do so,it's baseball
Ha I see what you mean, yeah that wouldn't surprise me.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-02, 14:54   Link #85
Byakou
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Your first link has them do sprints on 3 days. The second link looks like it's selling something... The third link has them do sprints as well. I stopped checking at this point. You've found the same answer I did, sprints = good, jogging = useless. So why are you saying jogging is good when it's sprinting that is? Sprinting is anaerobic ergo it's all muscle, explosive power that is used for pitching. Jogging is an aerobic exercise, no good for pitching. The main char is jogging. Seems to me like you've read "running" and assumed all forms of running are the same.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-02, 19:30   Link #86
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kobe, Japan
Just see whatever reality you want to see, since you're clearly blinding yourself to everything that doesn't suit it. This is getting too far O/T anyway.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-02, 19:50   Link #87
Casshern
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
I've never played baseball. I have no idea how difficult it is to throw a curve ball, or a breaking ball, or if I could throw a ball at 150kph. So I take everything they say in Daiya at face value and it doesn't seem strange to me.

Kuroko no Basket on the other hand, is an anime that annoys me sometimes. Because I play basketball, it annoys me when they make a big deal out of nothing. OMG a hook shot! Oh no, a feint! How unexpected! Generally, it's contradictory how they overreact at the most rudimentary moves, when at the same time characters have abilities that are quasi-magical.

What I'm trying to say is that, if they say that running helps pitchers, I'm totally ok with that because I really have no clue and I enjoy it more that way.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 02:38   Link #88
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
To be honest, it's not just Ace of Diamond who treats jogging as a this way. Major had it, and God knows Adachi's baseball manga all had pitchers run marathons.

If true that sprinting is better, then tell that to Japanese, not us. Since it's obvious that it's not an isolated case, I bet the entire country is under the wrong impression and has been training pitchers the wrong way all this time. (And still they produce major league talent from time to time, so how much more will we see if they actually change their training regiment lol)

Of course, running with a tire (or multiple ones even?) may be as beneficial as sprinting? I dunno, I'm no expert, but for the sake of the story I can suspend my disbelief. :shrug:
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 05:02   Link #89
hamazura
whatever
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: wherever
is this going to be a longrun? (like hxh and uchuu kyodai)
because the manga so long, i read the manga and i dont know where to end this if this series is 26 episodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
I've never played baseball. I have no idea how difficult it is to throw a curve ball, or a breaking ball, or if I could throw a ball at 150kph. So I take everything they say in Daiya at face value and it doesn't seem strange to me.

Kuroko no Basket on the other hand, is an anime that annoys me sometimes. Because I play basketball, it annoys me when they make a big deal out of nothing. OMG a hook shot! Oh no, a feint! How unexpected! Generally, it's contradictory how they overreact at the most rudimentary moves, when at the same time characters have abilities that are quasi-magical.

What I'm trying to say is that, if they say that running helps pitchers, I'm totally ok with that because I really have no clue and I enjoy it more that way.
and prince of tennis, "wow split step!" "wow twist serve!"
i play tennis and wadafak man? i do that all the time, thats basic tech if you really learn tennis
__________________
hamazura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 07:39   Link #90
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
^ And Kuroko no Basket and Prince of Tennis were two sports series I just could not get into
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 08:22   Link #91
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kobe, Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
^ And Kuroko no Basket and Prince of Tennis were two sports series I just could not get into
As a general rule I have trouble relating to sports series from SJ. The "check your disbelief at the door" attitude when it comes to the sports itself doesn't generally sit well with me - I'm too much of a sports geek.

One of the signature qualities I look for in a good sports series is that it always ends way too soon, and the countdown in my head until the next episode starts the second the ED credits start rolling - and this series has it. This is an old-school sports series that's a perfect bookend with the new-school Yowamushi Pedal.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2013-11-03 at 08:38.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 10:56   Link #92
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamazura View Post
is this going to be a longrun? (like hxh and uchuu kyodai)
because the manga so long, i read the manga and i dont know where to end this if this series is 26 episodes
If the ratings are good, it probably will be. Unfortunately I haven't seen it on the Japanese TV ratings that ANN publishes, so who knows how long the network will keep running it.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 18:19   Link #93
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
They could divide series in seasons like Major.

Though I would prefer one big run.
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 18:37   Link #94
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
I almost quit watching in a previous episode when the roommates were so happy they had snuck out without waking him up. I don't want to spend my time -- even anime time -- with people like that. And the coach is on the surface a self-important idiot -- but fortunately, it is seen to be all in the service of winning, and his methods are anime-typical Japanese tradition, so okay.

The baseball so far makes sense to me, including throwing the ball into the runner. I did wonder about putting the MC into right field, but in real junior high baseball, he should had some experience in the field, right? The hours of long running may not actually the best training (thanks for the links, Enzo), but that does appear to be a tradition. And anything that improves cardiovascular fitness should improve general stamina, no? In any case, the main dramatic purpose was punishment.

I'm glad I've spent time enjoying Kingdom, getting used to constant shouting from an idiot male lead. Is this the "hot-blooded" that Kaoshin has mentioned so many times, lol?

I look forward to the (friendly?) competition with the other first-year ace candidate. Coach will be cracking more and more of his tiny smiles, I expect. Mr. "nice run" looks potentially interesting, too. I guess we are glimpsing the elements of their Koushien team.

The fact that people are already talking about multiple new seasons is a good sign. I guess we like it. Manga at 38 volumes and Madhouse and Production IG at the helm. They are well set up to keep making it, if rating and manga sales justify it.
__________________
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 26). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru), Ben-To (Hana). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki), Kimi no Iru Machi (Rin). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Blade & Soul (Jin Valel), Soul Eater Not! (Meme), Seven Deadly Sins (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Gangsta (Nina), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy), One-Punch Man (Tornado), Onsen Yousei Hakone-chan (Goura), Hidan no Aria AA (Kirin). 2016 ERASED (Kayo), Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu), Ace Attorney (Mayoi), Tanaka-kun (Rino)....etc.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-03, 19:28   Link #95
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I was thinking about it and in many ways this series is the exact opposite of Big Windup (another baseball series I really enjoy).

I mean your main protagonists have opposite personalities with Eijin from this series being confident, hot blooded, big heart, and leaves a lot of friends to train in a big school on a successful team.

Whereas in Big Windup the MC is timid, not confident, and did not have many friends until he started playing on the team. Also the team unlike this one starts off from the bottom and has to build itself up (whereas in Diamond, Eijin has to build himself up to play on the successful team).

Of course in both cases meeting with the catcher is a turning point for the MC's.

Just some random observations.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-07, 18:47   Link #96
Byakou
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Just see whatever reality you want to see, since you're clearly blinding yourself to everything that doesn't suit it. This is getting too far O/T anyway.
You're blind, your own links are telling you you're wrong and you can't even accept it. You don't even have any arguments to defend yourself. But yes, let's get back to the discussion, clearly you don't have anything worthwhile to add to the discussion.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 22:23   Link #97
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
So are the two pink haired boys brothers are something? At first I thought they were the same character. I like the freshman of the two, he was pretty fun.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 00:19   Link #98
Cloudedmind
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
So are the two pink haired boys brothers are something? At first I thought they were the same character. I like the freshman of the two, he was pretty fun.
I like him to, and after listening to his character talk for a minute or two my brain went into "Who is this, I know this voice?!" overload where I then had to stop the show and look it up. He's voiced by relative newcomer Natsuki Hanae who's also voicing Shinichi from Outbreak Company and Hikari from Nagi no Asukara this season and Kiri from Severing Crime Edge two seasons ago. I just couldn't continue to watch the show until I figured out who he was. I feel kind of bad because I've been watching both OC and NnA and didn't realize it was him for both characters, and we're practically half way through the season.

In regards to this episode, very fun to watch. I told my brother if only real life baseball was this interesting to watch I might actually start watching it.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 02:47   Link #99
SinsI
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
The baseball so far makes sense to me, including throwing the ball into the runner. I did wonder about putting the MC into right field, but in real junior high baseball, he should had some experience in the field, right?
Why would he? He was the only pitcher of a small team, so his defensive position was set in stone. At best, he might have had some experience with field play from way back before middle school... Why would that coach think a pitcher would have any experience in field play is beyond me.
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 04:34   Link #100
leongsh
Daijoubu!
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Malaysia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
So are the two pink haired boys brothers are something? At first I thought they were the same character. I like the freshman of the two, he was pretty fun.
Yes, they are brothers.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
baseball, shounen, sports

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.